Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Elder Scrolls Online: Very Fun, But Not Perfect

Comments

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I'm not Ryan Getchell.  I'm Bill Murphy.  Both articles from different writers. ;)

No Bill. You write all the reviews and colums. You must pay for taking the companies money and writing only positive impressions and giving way to good scores like it's candy. How much did Zenimax give you? Admit it, you took the money. You're a shill for them. imageimage

Nice review. Since i haven't bought the game, i can't comment on it completly, but i do disagree with the longevity score. Personally, if it's a normal themepark where you finish the pve questing, dungeons, story, etc, like ESO is, max i'd give it would be an 8, but then again, i don't like giving scores. 

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

[mod edit]

I think this is a fair and well-grounded review. When it comes to polish I probably would have even given only a 5/10 instead of a 6/10, because of some design flaws that obviously shouldn't have made it into the game.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Is this the same person who accused the people who had issues with the game of being spoon fed haters. The same person who was baiting in their other thread but didn't have the polite to post again in that same thread.

Just a reminder OP http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/411308/page/1

Perhaps you would be kind enough to comment on many of the posts in your eso hate baiting thread now.

I'm not Ryan Getchell.  I'm Bill Murphy.  Both articles from different writers. ;)

Ah my apologies.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423

SOCIAL - 8

"We’re taking a couple points off for the aforementioned phasing issues, but it must be said that ESO is one of the more socially active MMOs I’ve played in recent years thanks to great guild tools, passable grouping tools, and excellent dungeon and public delves. If the LFG tool can be refined a bit more, when combined with the megaserver and social aspects of crafting and clearing objectives? ESO’s social future is bright.  The community seems to be dedicated and helpful, and we’re all once against the bot army.  This gives me great hope for a vibrant social community moving forward, even if the game ends up a niche product. "

The questing and phasing issues are much more pronounced, the game does little to promote a sense of community and multi-player play. This is going to be the biggest thorn in this review, the problems are well documented and not going away any time soon.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Originally posted by Ikeda

This picture makes me laugh every time:

Wow.....just wow.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

WOW, I had no idea!!! Do they look like copy/paste when inside them? 

Yes, they do. They're all pretty much identical.

Lol this is terrible. How can anyone be proud of the 30 over dungeons 100 over variations. Copy paste ad nauseam. Go check Everquest for how to do a proper dungeon. Truly sad state.

I agree with the others the social score is way too high.

Yeah how is this good, plus they are not even in the same ball park of what i would call dungeons.

Vanguard had over 100 dungeons at launch(many more now) and all of them different. On top of that some of them take days and weeks to complete and span many levels, dungeons within dungeons.

Vast open world dungeons with multiple mob factions within.

ESO dungeons are just glorified caves.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Lol this is terrible. How can anyone be proud of the 30 over dungeons 100 over variations. Copy paste ad nauseam. Go check Everquest for how to do a proper dungeon. Truly sad state.

That's modular development and it should be said that these dungeons make use of different textures and props. So, in the end you might notice that the dungeon uses a similar basic construction, but due to different plants, lights, chest-types and so on being placed, the dungeons still look kind of unique.

Keeping in mind that the real dungeons like Spindleclutch very much look completely handcrafted, I can live with the fact that the smaller public dungeons are not.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

fair review bill.

ive managed to finish the main story at level 46 (DK) with some purples, and now i managed to open up the other faction zones...alot todo in pve.

its not innovative, but its an  heavy lore mmo with volumes  and volumes of story driven quests. hoping this dosent phase out- to many demands from the masses..

'chat bubbles'?...really???

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Nicely written and spot on. Also holy shit the people admitting they never played the game but would have rated it lower based on metacritic and the forum feedback here? What the actual...

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100

We ALL have to remember that this is HIS review, we need to respect that. Also we all know that there are fanbois for every game and they will defend their game and thats what they are suppose to do and reason doesnt apply in the defense. What I do not like is a Fanboi of one game bashing another game and complaing about certain features or lack there off when THEIR game is in fact lacking the same thing or even worse doesnt have it.

So defend your game but stop shiting bricks on other games plz, just love your game and stop the hate on a game that is not your ESO

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

For the average MMORPG's rankings when Majors are involved, this score is almost right and the written review itself is fairly honest but for the Social aspect which is really out of touch. If you take that away, you have a 7.2-7.4 which imho is the right score for TESO.

TESO is a honest but bland themepark MMO which offers some interesting and enjoyable variations and something more than its share with bugs, compromises and conservative approach. So It's right and legitimate to like and the other way round. Nothing less and nothing more.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DMKano

Social 8 ?

You can't even group with someone to HELP them on a quest you've completed yourself ! Or a team where every member has to solve the puzzle individually??  What?

agree -  8 is too high for social

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

Look, the guy OBVIOUSLY hasn't played much of the game. This is arguably ( I argue it. ) the most unnaceptable launch in video game history. Bill, this is the first time I have really disagreed with you, but I'm starting to think you and this whole site are SHILL's by giving what is a nearly unplayable game a 7.9...

wow... just wow?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

FYI, and no.. not all of them LOOK exactly the same.  Some do have different textures and props... but effectively they are ALL the same.  Think about a Botter.  How easy is it to code for a dungeon when you have 20+ that are the EXACT same layouts?

I know rehashed items aren't new.  They've been around.  Hell quite a few times in WoW I was running around and was like "Huh.. this cave looks remarkably like..." (but those were generic caves literally a world away from the other and maybe only recycled a time or two.. not 20)

And since it has had a couple of patches, I decided to re-install lastnight to give it one last hurrah (with my 5 days of extra time) to genuinely try one more time to get past the bug-wall that I hit.

Ultimately, I just want a game that's fun to play.  That's it.  Skyrim had bugs and most were HILARIOUS.  Bugs I take in swing but when I'm stopped by them... well, that's not fun.  And this copy/pasting of dungeons thing needs to be pointed out because it's out there.  It's scary.  These are what developers THINK is ok.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

You would think that's true, however even if there are props and NPCs in different locations you'd think it'd stray away from looking identical. I personally saw a lot of repetitiveness throughout the solo dungeons. It's not that bad but I wish they put more effort into the solo dungeon system.

I honestly got so bored with these "solo dungeons" that I let my subscription run out without renewing.  They have zero personality to them.  They all look like they should be different wings of the same dungeon.  Zenimax tried too hard to give tons of dungeons, instead of more intimate, complex dungeons that were created specifically for group play.  ESO is an MMO trying to be a singleplayer experience.  It's an oxymoron, and it translates into a stale, silent experience online.  People rarely interact (zone chat is as awful as ever), and when they do it's almost like Orcs grunting at one another.  One word messages like "bugged?" and "thx" are the most common chat messages between players.

I'm not sure when game developers lost touch with the fact that the greatest determining factor for fun in multiplayer RPGs was the social aspect, but they need to rediscover it.  These solo MMOs do nothing to encourage a community to interact and work together.  The game might look great; it might have novel ideas, but if I feel like everyone is playing a singleplayer game with others just ghosting by without any real need to interact with them, I'm not sticking around.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by trancefate

Look, the guy OBVIOUSLY hasn't played much of the game. This is arguably ( I argue it. ) the most unnaceptable launch in video game history. Bill, this is the first time I have really disagreed with you, but I'm starting to think you and this whole site are SHILL's by giving what is a nearly unplayable game a 7.9...

wow... just wow?

For goodness sake just stop with the everybody must be Shill's .. just because they don't conform to what you like or don't like.

Its disgusting , Bill Murphy has given " His " ( notice I highlighted the word his to help you understand ) honest opinion of the game .. don't like it ? ... then move on and do something else.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
     this copy/pasting of dungeons thing needs to be pointed out because it's out there.  It's scary.  These are what developers THINK is ok.

SOE tried cookie cutter designs with Lost Dungeons of Norrath in 2003 -- it wasn't ok then and its not ok now

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I agree with most of what is said in this article. The game is great, very fun, and highly addictive, but it's certainly not perfect. Looking forward to seeing what they put out in the coming years!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44

Good write up and review. I am enjoying the game but I would rate the game a little lower, maybe around 7.4 or 7.5. I would go lower on Longevity, Polish and Social. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Originally posted by Asariasha

That's modular development and it should be said that these dungeons make use of different textures and props. So, in the end you might notice that the dungeon uses a similar basic construction, but due to different plants, lights, chest-types and so on being placed, the dungeons still look kind of unique.

Keeping in mind that the real dungeons like Spindleclutch very much look completely handcrafted, I can live with the fact that the smaller public dungeons are not.

Ooo if thats the open world dungeons not a huge deal, I thought that was their main dungeons for teaming lol. Over 100 open world dungeons IMO even with similar lay out and different windows dressings should be applauded. Most MMOs dont even take the time to make 1 open world dungeon. 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    The longevity and social scores for this review are lawlworthy.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Fair review, I think a few of the negative points will be fixed with time, like many MMOs I expect to see a re-review after 1-2 years if enough improvements and content are made/added.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by DMKano

So much for MMORPG rating a few points lower than average on metacritic - it's 72 over there :P

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

Longevity 9 ? 

That MUST be a typo

Social 8 ?

You can't even group with someone to HELP them on a quest you've completed yourself ! Or a team where every member has to solve the puzzle individually??  What?

Here's a more realistic score:

AESTHETICS – 8

INNOVATION - 7

POLISH - 6

LONGEVITY - 7

SOCIAL - 7

VALUE - 7

70% final score

And 70% would be in line with "a couple of points lower" than metacritic.

Just saying.

"You done scored it too high"

It's his opinion and one that aligns a bit more with my experience.

my opinion:

AESTHETICS – 8

INNOVATION - 6

POLISH - 5

LONGEVITY - 9

SOCIAL - 8

VALUE - 8

But that only raises the "total score" to 7.33

So my conclusion is  that the game, for some, is greater or lesser than the sum of its parts.

I can see myself playing this for quite a long time. I also have been more social with people I meet in the world but I suspect that some people, unless forced to group, just don't know how to do this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo