Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: So Much to Look Forward To

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

The Archeum pack is actually excellent value for money. Most of the people criticising  the cost probably haven't even bothered to research exactly what you get for your purchase. The alpha server will be running 24/7 until release for a start. Full release of the game is not likely until much later in the year so that gives you probably at least four months of playing the game included in the price you paid. Once the game does release, you have 90 days of Patron status included so that's probably another three months of no extra cost, Finally there is a huge amount of inclusive points that can be spent in the cash shop, so even if you don't renew your patron status, you can probably play for even more months without needing to spend any more real life money.

Compare that with the old fashioned model of a £60 retail box followed by $15 per month subs and I think the AA Archeum deal easily comes out on top for anyone expecting to play for more than a few months

Nice try, but no.

One key thing is "expecting to play".  There are numerous games I expected to play for months.  hell I once bought a 180 day sub for a game I was having a blast in only to get bored and quit 3 weeks later.  The odds are that the majority of the founders will not play 3 months at launch regardless of how much they love the game.  Games often look enticing at first but then the warts show with time.  And those 'warts' might not be bad things, just bad to that person.  Such as the forced PvP to do anything worth doing in the upper levels.  Some will LOVE it, others will find that it ruins the fun of the game.  And of course both viewpoints are valid.

but the simple fact that no one can reasonably expect to want to play for 3 months after launch no matter how they feel about AA today.

And dont try to sell me on the alpha play time, because character progression is wiped.  And those cash shop points?  We dont even know what they are for.

Is it the worst founder pack know to man?  No, it would be perfectly acceptable for an indie f2p game.  Is it a little ridiculous to make the package 150 considering the games has revenue streams?  absolutely.  

Exactly, ultimately we do not even know what those cash shop points will get us.   We don't have enough info to determine the value of this.   Those jumping on the hype train are again hoping, which is the MMO players mantra these days.   

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    This game definitely offers a lot to MMORPG fans that you simply cannot find elsewhere.  There are some things that are standard fare, like questing and combat, but the sheer amount of activities you can do and the tools for literally building a community and even your own faction are pretty stunning to me.  I think Trion made a solid move picking this one up and their Founder's Packs are genuinely great deals if you know you will play for a while (this of course, is never as certain as we'd like to believe).  Either way, really good stuff.

Maybe, some of the feature are interesting but if the game will hold or not depends on how fun it is too play... I guess we have to wait and see for that. But it is good that some devs try out new mechanics.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Reizla

ArcheAge peeked my interest when I was still playing Lineage II, but I knew back then that it would take years before it'd hit the Western market. When I heard about the founder packs I had to think twice about the $150 purchase, but I bought it.

Now that I'm playing, this game indeed has quite a lot of features that I've missed in other MMORPGs since I've quit playing Lineage II. It has similarities to that game and yet is a whole different game on it's own.

I play ArcheAge the same way I played Lineage 2. I still use click to move and wasd and I do alot of grinding. They even have hidden quest that you get for grinding. I really like that they actually reward you for grinding. ArcheAge is what Goddess Of Destruction should have been. 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I'd like to know about crafting and items, and how they're tied to the economy. 

Is it possible to lose items in some way, either by dropping or decay?  

How does the game support crafting within the economy?  

Or is it the standard mmo fare, where once I have an item it's mine as long as I want to keep it and have no reason to buy from a crafter?  

• CastranCastran Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Well it's already flopped in Korea and threw immersion out the window with tanuki suits and race cars for cash grabs.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Castran
    Well it's already flopped in Korea and threw immersion out the window with tanuki suits and race cars for cash grabs.

Immersion is in the eye of the beholder. Just don't think of ArcheAge as medievil, think of it as more of a mix ( just as long as it's not steampunk :P )

I personally think it's great, I don't even mind people making StarBocks or whatever that was. The ability to do so is awesome imo.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Kilrain

Immersion is in the eye of the beholder. Just don't think of ArcheAge as medievil, think of it as more of a mix ( just as long as it's not steampunk :P )

I personally think it's great, I don't even mind people making StarBocks or whatever that was. The ability to do so is awesome imo.

I 'thought' that the cars and other pop culture crap was not in the NA version. Sorry but elements such as this would keep me away from the game. 

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Originally posted by Kilrain

I 'thought' that the cars and other pop culture crap was not in the NA version. Sorry but elements such as this would keep me away from the game. 

They aren't in the NA version as of now.  Trion is currently working with the devs to remove all the negatives and bring in the positives from all the updates In korea.  If they do this right then I'll be a very happy camper.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Not too sure of what to make of this game to be honest. It didn't fair to well in Korea and they made some questionable choices over content e.g. discos and racing cars that even had their Korean playerbase wondering what the devs were doing.

But I like the concept and I find the features such as trials, prisons. explorations, crafting, naval warfare etc. etc. all pretty interesting. But it's all down to the execution and how the PvP pans out. Having non-consensual PvP with some looting will put most people of, so I won't expect the majority of people to stick around for much longer than the first few months.

I'm in two minds on wether to give it a shot, although I'm intrigued, I'm enjoying playing my current MMO.

• SupermassiveSupermassive Member Posts: 8

I feel like the people complaining about "Founder's" packs are just unable to afford them and feel slighted by the game company for not making alpha accessible to them.  

These founder's packs are an awesome way to let the people who "really, really" want to play the game in early, and they will likely help find bugs, and possible issues in translation.  I can guarantee you that people who pay to play will make better alpha and beta testers than the vast majority of freebie beta testers.  This is because those that pay want to see this game truly shine.  That's not to say all beta testers that get in free won't be a help, but I don't see many of these people contributing to the game or communities.  

I personally want to buy the Archeum pack, but due to my schedule probably won't have the time to play it as much as I would like and I can be patient for it.  $150 is a lot of cheese, but when I look back at what i have paid for past MMO's (cough, WOW, cough) and the fact that I tend to stay far away from cash shops as I detest the principle of them, $150 dollars isn't too bad for a game that i could pop on whenever I want for the life of the game and incur no additional cost.  It's all perspective and i feel like most people are pessimistic about everything that cost's money in general.  

• UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    To me, the game is what you get when you mix Tera Rising with Dark Age of Camelot.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I'd like to hear more about combat and world exploration.  I'd like to know how cash-grabby it feels.  I'd like to know more about challenge.  Does the AI challenge you?  Have you almost died (not from falling from your glider or noobing) due to difficulty?  Do you feel like you are running forever here and there for no apparent reason other than to activate a quest trigger?  I'd like to see a response to the bad choices devs made in other versions?  

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Looks balls deep.
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by fhnw1988

founder packs are a rip off to humanity.

The game will be ready maybe in 1 -2 months, wich means they already played alot and burned them before even the game started. So is this 3 months patron thing a waste of money, since i do not belive minority of those buyers will play the game that long.

Its a shame people do not think forward, instead just trying to increase their quality of life in a short manner. You pay 150 Dollar for a game you are supposed to play 3 months - to be at least worth. Those buyers do not even know if the money is worth in the long run- they just fell for a cheap marketing tactic. Many will probably quit after the first month, since they are already playing it for so long in alpha- like we have seen it in every mmo in the past 15 years, many of the open beta will lose interest.

To bad people get easly manipulated. 

Trion this time, is just the publisher  wich also means- we will be the last ones getting the updates.

In some cases you should be very happy to them people who are easily manipulated, not sure if you are aware of this, but even F2P games need to make money in order to be made. So IMO if they make money off things like this and don't nickel and dime us in order to enjoy them game, then thank you to all those buying founders packs. 

But shame on the company if they make good profit off of this, and then make games annoying as hell to advance without paying tons of money

• Chongo666Chongo666 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Those people saying $150 is to much to invest in a game probably have $500 worth of Pokemon cards sitting in an old shoe box in a closet . In sure you've all spent a lot of money on something that other people find silly.
    To each their own.
  • ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Supermassive

I feel like the people complaining about "Founder's" packs are just unable to afford them and feel slighted by the game company for not making alpha accessible to them.  

These founder's packs are an awesome way to let the people who "really, really" want to play the game in early, and they will likely help find bugs, and possible issues in translation.  I can guarantee you that people who pay to play will make better alpha and beta testers than the vast majority of freebie beta testers.  This is because those that pay want to see this game truly shine.  That's not to say all beta testers that get in free won't be a help, but I don't see many of these people contributing to the game or communities.  

I personally want to buy the Archeum pack, but due to my schedule probably won't have the time to play it as much as I would like and I can be patient for it.  $150 is a lot of cheese, but when I look back at what i have paid for past MMO's (cough, WOW, cough) and the fact that I tend to stay far away from cash shops as I detest the principle of them, $150 dollars isn't too bad for a game that i could pop on whenever I want for the life of the game and incur no additional cost.  It's all perspective and i feel like most people are pessimistic about everything that cost's money in general.  

Thats funny because i have the money to get into this but i also have the patience to not fall into a cash-grab when i see one.

The game has been out almost 2 years ffs but they are charging almost 3 videogames worth just to get into an alpha? Jesus, not only are they getting paid by the testers they're also getting them to buy the game 3 times over. The investors of this game must be creaming their pants.

The best thing though is i don't know what pisses me off more. That a company will charge 3 times the amount of a game thats already released for "early access" or that people will willingly pay it... making it more likely we'll see companies take advantage of consumers. 

Ive been craving a new mmo, especially a sandbox. I WANT ArcheAge to do well. But i see decisions like this and it makes me weary. If theyre this greedy already just imagine the decisions they'll make down the road. Decisions like adding discos and race cars to a fantasy game like theyve already done with Korea over the last 2 years. Yeah, i know they dont have those in the American version but we'll probably get giant cheeseburgers and an arena in ours.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

The problem I have with the founders' packs is I don't know how to value what they offer.

I know what three month's sub to WoW is worth, because I know what you get (three months of wow). I don't know how to value the $45 of this founder pack that will later be repaid as three months of premium subscription because they forgot to mention what premium membership means. 

I know what $75 gets me in EVE's arcanum shop (almost a monocle), because I can look at that cash shop and decide for myself if I can get $75 worth of value out of $75 worth of currency. I can't tell that with AA, because I have no idea what's in the cash shop. 

I've been interested in AA for a while, so I'd value alpha access fairly highly, but it's not $150. Right now I feel like they're asking for me to loan them $120 and later they'll give me that back in 90 days of sub and cash shop value, but they're not making it clear whether the money they repay will be in a form that I actually value the same as the amount they borrowed. 

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

I want to get the game, but the following is depressing: Hacks, cheats, dupes, bots, exploits

• GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30

All I can say is the whole game looks great besides the combat. The combat looks so atrocious I wonder if I can look past it to enjoy the game as a whole.

Is anyone else thinking the same way as me?

• Quaggan777Quaggan777 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by ReaperUk

The Archeum pack is actually excellent value for money. Most of the people criticising  the cost probably haven't even bothered to research exactly what you get for your purchase. The alpha server will be running 24/7 until release for a start. Full release of the game is not likely until much later in the year so that gives you probably at least four months of playing the game included in the price you paid. Once the game does release, you have 90 days of Patron status included so that's probably another three months of no extra cost, Finally there is a huge amount of inclusive points that can be spent in the cash shop, so even if you don't renew your patron status, you can probably play for even more months without needing to spend any more real life money.

Compare that with the old fashioned model of a £60 retail box followed by $15 per month subs and I think the AA Archeum deal easily comes out on top for anyone expecting to play for more than a few months

Nice try, but no.

One key thing is "expecting to play".  There are numerous games I expected to play for months.  hell I once bought a 180 day sub for a game I was having a blast in only to get bored and quit 3 weeks later.  The odds are that the majority of the founders will not play 3 months at launch regardless of how much they love the game.  Games often look enticing at first but then the warts show with time.  And those 'warts' might not be bad things, just bad to that person.  Such as the forced PvP to do anything worth doing in the upper levels.  Some will LOVE it, others will find that it ruins the fun of the game.  And of course both viewpoints are valid.

but the simple fact that no one can reasonably expect to want to play for 3 months after launch no matter how they feel about AA today.

And dont try to sell me on the alpha play time, because character progression is wiped.  And those cash shop points?  We dont even know what they are for.

Is it the worst founder pack know to man?  No, it would be perfectly acceptable for an indie f2p game.  Is it a little ridiculous to make the package 150 considering the games has revenue streams?  absolutely.  

Exactly, ultimately we do not even know what those cash shop points will get us.   We don't have enough info to determine the value of this.   Those jumping on the hype train are again hoping, which is the MMO players mantra these days.   

As someone who is currently playing AA I can tell you that the hype IS real in this case. I have been playing the game for a couple of weeks and I can honestly tell you that those items included in the founders packs HAVE value, a lot of value. This game will have the option to pay a monthly sub or just play it for free, so the fact that you get 1, 2 and 3 months subscription included with founder's packs says something about its value. IF you decide you don't want to sub after that period of time, fine, play for FREE. The hereafter stones and evenstones are needed frequently BUT you can CRAFT THEM yourself if you have to, just gather the needed materials. I can see how you can be skeptic about the AA founders packs, but I can honestly say that there is a lot of value in them.  And as far as the cash shop and pay to win opinions, this game is nothing like it, this is the first time I have experienced a true player driven economy, the best pieces of gear in the game are the ones crafted by the players.

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86
    I want to play this so bad but I don't want to spend $150. Waiting for open beta.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

After playing another themepark mmo that just dint push the genre to a new level i am tired of sailing on themepark hype waves....

Sandbox remains the undispute kings of entertainment in the mmo world....

Cant wait for this to go live and fack me sideways this is going to be one hell of a long wait as i must have looked up hundreds of movies already from korean to russia and finaly NA/EU !!!

• Davfor7Davfor7 Member Posts: 7
    I still have that burning feeling after RIFT and Defiance. Though I know Trion isn't creating the game, their track history is pretty bad with the fact they don't even wait a f'in month before firing 80% of their dev team! Trion is failing bad because they are doing the same, dumb mistakes mega companies do but without all the idiots and huge money to buffer them from total loss. I just don't trust Trion from here on out anymore.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Sooo many features.... 90% of which I do not care about unfortunately. I don't craft, I don't tend to get into playing the economy too much. Gathering is ok sometimes but meh... If the quest suck, the combat is tab target run of the mill, and the group content isn't there, than I guess I'll skip this one.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by GamerToons

All I can say is the whole game looks great besides the combat. The combat looks so atrocious I wonder if I can look past it to enjoy the game as a whole.

Is anyone else thinking the same way as me?

combat is fine, class system is kind of mediocre though which is the bigger problem.  Not sure if this game will have good group mechanics, which ultimately is the key to great MMORPG combat.