Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does WoW still have that world feeling it used to in Vanilla?

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Kalmarth

The world is still seamless and if you like to quest and level not rush rush rush to 90 then yeah its fun, with the crossrealm opening up there are now people in the lower level zones hunting as groups, no more empty zone because you picked the lowest population server you could then complain there is no one playing on it.

Flying is not as big a problem as people say, you don't get to fly till 60 on the main lands, then later in northrend and same with Pandalands, so if you think that being able to fly all over at 90 is a problem, I'm sure you can pick at more.

Open world PvP is dead, good it was a gankfest anyway

The LFG/LFR tools help people learn to raid, it shows and can be frustrating, but if no one will explain the fights and just expects you to know them then it good that they get some face time with the boss before they get thrown into flex or Normal.

Apart from Pandalands being very cute and fluffy, wow is doing fine, lots to do if you want to do it, if not then you will hear the children crying out about "I've bored, I've got nothing to do" like anyone is going to entertain the self entitled little.....

End game raiding is still huge, but as the new expansion is coming people are doing other things as they are getting to that hang out till it comes phase (as all your epics will be replaced by greens first day)

Bullshit.   This 2007 YouTube song, WarCrack (Peein' in a bottle), captures how playing WoW used to feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-vj2yp5GA

If you Google the term "WarCrack" now, you will find that the last entry for this term in the news was 2009.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Originally posted by Kalmarth

The world is still seamless and if you like to quest and level not rush rush rush to 90 then yeah its fun, with the crossrealm opening up there are now people in the lower level zones hunting as groups, no more empty zone because you picked the lowest population server you could then complain there is no one playing on it.

Flying is not as big a problem as people say, you don't get to fly till 60 on the main lands, then later in northrend and same with Pandalands, so if you think that being able to fly all over at 90 is a problem, I'm sure you can pick at more.

Open world PvP is dead, good it was a gankfest anyway

The LFG/LFR tools help people learn to raid, it shows and can be frustrating, but if no one will explain the fights and just expects you to know them then it good that they get some face time with the boss before they get thrown into flex or Normal.

Apart from Pandalands being very cute and fluffy, wow is doing fine, lots to do if you want to do it, if not then you will hear the children crying out about "I've bored, I've got nothing to do" like anyone is going to entertain the self entitled little.....

End game raiding is still huge, but as the new expansion is coming people are doing other things as they are getting to that hang out till it comes phase (as all your epics will be replaced by greens first day)

Bullshit.   This 2007 YouTube song, WarCrack (Peein' in a bottle), captures how playing WoW used to feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-vj2yp5GA

If you Google the term "WarCrack" now, you will find that the last entry for this term in the news was 2009.

And no way can YouTube or any other internet search be wrong, its got to be the truth, looking at most of the post on here, they have a common thread, mostly "I haven't played in forever but the game sucks" I think this is what makes people hate the players not the game.

For me the game is still a lot of fun, I have a great guild on a busy server with full zones, perhaps people should move servers if they want more life in the game, rather than clinging to the dead servers like a maggot trying to eat a skeleton.

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by Heretic061
    WoW doesn't have a world anymore let alone a world feeling.  It has a dungeon window, a raid window, and a PvP window.  Flying mounts and battleground arena is the problem.  A game with world PvP and no players out in the world is boring.

Go to hellfire peninsula. There are tons of people fighting all the time there. 

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Creatorzim

I think once we see the next expansion people will be feeling that since of awe again. They are either doing a really good job at marketing, which honestly I never felt they did, or they are bringing back everything we loved about Vanilla and BC.

They cut flying out for awhile which will make the world feel larger again.

They are giving us a 10 level increase instead of the 5.

They are giving us a town to fix up, hopefully not as boring as the garden was.

They are smooshing the stats down.

Getting rid of the 30+ skills and limiting them down to make it not as exhausting.

I think they are pushing the game in the right direction once again. I feel like they are doing this expansion right. I didnt plan on coming back after this expansion. But I will probably give it a few months at least and if it has me hooked again will probably stay as my main game again.

Will they get rid of account gear? Will they bring back CC in dungeon runs? Will they bring back the difficulty of Vanilla / TBC outdoor content as we level? Will they get rid of cross server grouping? All this came about during the WOTLK  expansion that drove me away.  If you answer no to any of these the expansion is not for me.

Originally posted by Greymantle4

I think once we see the next expansion people will be feeling that since of awe again. They are either doing a really good job at marketing, which honestly I never felt they did, or they are bringing back everything we loved about Vanilla and BC.

They cut flying out for awhile which will make the world feel larger again.

They are giving us a 10 level increase instead of the 5.

They are giving us a town to fix up, hopefully not as boring as the garden was.

They are smooshing the stats down.

Getting rid of the 30+ skills and limiting them down to make it not as exhausting.

I think they are pushing the game in the right direction once again. I feel like they are doing this expansion right. I didnt plan on coming back after this expansion. But I will probably give it a few months at least and if it has me hooked again will probably stay as my main game again.

Will they get rid of account gear? Will they bring back CC in dungeon runs? Will they bring back the difficulty of Vanilla / TBC outdoor content as we level? Will they get rid of cross server grouping? All this came about during the WOTLK  expansion that drove me away.  If you answer no to any of these the expansion is not for me.

Account gear is to stay if im not mistaken. Wont do any good when leveling the next content though since its only max level 90. Xp gain till 89.

CC was needed during Cata. I think they are adding it again for the next one.

Vanilla content was hard, I never thought of BC content as hard, besides raiding illidian, but if im not mistaken they are bring back the same difficulty as BC content.

Cross server grouping really only applies to unpopulated areas, mainly older content. I have never seen someone from another server in newer content areas, I am part of a huge server though because thats what I enjoy so that may be a cause for it.

So it really depends on what you are wanting. They are smooshing everything down to make the game much harder than it use to be. They are trying to bring back that feeling. Im skeptical as well and will only be giving it a few months to reel me back in.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

WoW has an amazing world which you can explore. The vast majority of WoW players have never experienced all the quests in the game or have never found all those hidden places which usually have a silly reference to something. THe world is huge and there's plenty  to explore.

However, if you have played the game before, obviously that's going to affect your perception. I have done every single quest in the game before Cataclysm and the majority after Cata so I know pretty much everything about the world..

World PvP is dead. World PvP died after early vanilla. IT was dead long before TBC came. Basically battlegrounds destroyed world pvp. But if you played during vanilla, you probably know all that. You wouldn't see any of the capital raids or the crazy PvP action in Blackrock Mountain. I am guessing STV is still a bitch to level up :D I think it is still a ganking battleground.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

So I've been played again on a 10 day trial thing you have for veterans to come back. First of all I forgot my account was hacked and my characters were deleted, I contacted Blizzard but they said they have no characters on file as it was probably too long ago :(

I started again but I'm just bored and I'm only level 20, but tbh I was bored a long time ago. It has only taken like 4 hours to get to this point, I know they have to make it faster due to the level cap increase, but everything is far too easy. I was expecting big changes in the quest design, but so far it feels exactly how I remember it, all fetch and kill 10 rats quests. The only difference is, I'm levelling so fast...

It is so easy now, I went to play Vanilla WoW to check and I died a few times, I couldn't tank more than one mob at once, I had a lot of down time and running through aggro was a HUGE risk. I couldn't solo elites like I can now and I actually had to be aware of what was going on around me. There was a lot of tension in Vanilla WoW, but with this new WoW I'm bored because it is all too easy, I'm just tanking 3 mobs at once and not even breaking a sweat. 

What I hate the most is any time the game offers any challenge, it is always impossible challenge that they have to break the games mechanics so you easily win. For some reason they love to put you against massive bosses but then make you invincible by giving you some NPC to heal you or some buff or something.... IT IS BORING!

The quests are more linear than they were in the past, I mean they literally lock so many quests off so you have to do them all in order now before more open up and they guide you down this narrow path. I used to think it was bad before, but when I play Vanilla WoW, they're far more dotted around and they aren't all locked off until you complete earlier quests either. I often have times where I have one quest, that leads me to a cave where there are several quests, I complete them all and I get sent back to the town, then I only have one quest that sends me to the next cave....

I don't like the new talent system, it is just very restrictive, takes away the customization you used to have. I dunno if it changes, but I just feel locked down a set path, to the point where I'm the same as everyone else. 

There still seems to be a world but my problem is the quests are so linear now that if you ever find yourself on the quest quest line as someone else, you will be down on mobs to kill. I've only seen 3 or 4 people levelling so far and each time we've been standing around waiting for mobs to spawn. A way worse problem than it was in Vanilla WoW where there were way more people, just weird because I felt like I was following this other person and just trailing slightly behind in the quests, I just felt being pissed off as he had already killed all the mobs. 

I don't like any new stuff they've added like the pet battles, it just isn't fun and doesn't feel good at all. It is as if someone made a weird mod for Little Big Planet (PS3) and you can tell the game engien wasn't really made for it and no programming was involved, they just tried to change the camera view a bit. All the new stuff in the game feels very odd though, it really is like they're trying to do stuff with the engine that it just cannot do. They're finding some weird compromise and it doesn't work out at all.

I don't get why they always want to keep making you invincible as well, giving you mobs you have no chance with witht he conventional game mechanics. I tried Death Knight and they do it near the end of that starter area where you fight that big fat naked thing. The most unfun fight I've ever had, there is no point to it, I'd rather have challenge that constantly hitting him for 20 mins while I'm invincible and just waiting for him to die.

The game is a mess, it is a shame because the fantastic world is all there, sadly though it just feels like it has had bits edited so much that it is very inconsistent. I've had quests that point me somewhere, only they've changed the way you get there now and they've failed to update the quest text to tell you how you need to get there now. There are weird map inconsistencies too, I don't like the map when you're in Teldrassil, feels very broken and you cannot zoom in at all.

That just sounds worse, I like having a massive library of skills. What I loved about SWTOR, I feel engadget managing all my skills, why I think GW2 and TESO online combat is so boring, you get like 5 or so skills and that is it..

• moomoo1234moomoo1234 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Immersion , what was that again?
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    No it doesn't unfortunately. I'm hoping warlords will bring that back since they don't plan on having flying mounts in draenor. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by tixylix

So I've been played again on a 10 day trial thing you have for veterans to come back. First of all I forgot my account was hacked and my characters were deleted, I contacted Blizzard but they said they have no characters on file as it was probably too long ago :(

I started again but I'm just bored and I'm only level 20, but tbh I was bored a long time ago. It has only taken like 4 hours to get to this point, I know they have to make it faster due to the level cap increase, but everything is far too easy. I was expecting big changes in the quest design, but so far it feels exactly how I remember it, all fetch and kill 10 rats quests. The only difference is, I'm levelling so fast...

It is so easy now, I went to play Vanilla WoW to check and I died a few times, I couldn't tank more than one mob at once, I had a lot of down time and running through aggro was a HUGE risk. I couldn't solo elites like I can now and I actually had to be aware of what was going on around me. There was a lot of tension in Vanilla WoW, but with this new WoW I'm bored because it is all too easy, I'm just tanking 3 mobs at once and not even breaking a sweat. 

What I hate the most is any time the game offers any challenge, it is always impossible challenge that they have to break the games mechanics so you easily win. For some reason they love to put you against massive bosses but then make you invincible by giving you some NPC to heal you or some buff or something.... IT IS BORING!

The quests are more linear than they were in the past, I mean they literally lock so many quests off so you have to do them all in order now before more open up and they guide you down this narrow path. I used to think it was bad before, but when I play Vanilla WoW, they're far more dotted around and they aren't all locked off until you complete earlier quests either. I often have times where I have one quest, that leads me to a cave where there are several quests, I complete them all and I get sent back to the town, then I only have one quest that sends me to the next cave....

I don't like the new talent system, it is just very restrictive, takes away the customization you used to have. I dunno if it changes, but I just feel locked down a set path, to the point where I'm the same as everyone else. 

There still seems to be a world but my problem is the quests are so linear now that if you ever find yourself on the quest quest line as someone else, you will be down on mobs to kill. I've only seen 3 or 4 people levelling so far and each time we've been standing around waiting for mobs to spawn. A way worse problem than it was in Vanilla WoW where there were way more people, just weird because I felt like I was following this other person and just trailing slightly behind in the quests, I just felt being pissed off as he had already killed all the mobs. 

I don't like any new stuff they've added like the pet battles, it just isn't fun and doesn't feel good at all. It is as if someone made a weird mod for Little Big Planet (PS3) and you can tell the game engien wasn't really made for it and no programming was involved, they just tried to change the camera view a bit. All the new stuff in the game feels very odd though, it really is like they're trying to do stuff with the engine that it just cannot do. They're finding some weird compromise and it doesn't work out at all.

I don't get why they always want to keep making you invincible as well, giving you mobs you have no chance with witht he conventional game mechanics. I tried Death Knight and they do it near the end of that starter area where you fight that big fat naked thing. The most unfun fight I've ever had, there is no point to it, I'd rather have challenge that constantly hitting him for 20 mins while I'm invincible and just waiting for him to die.

The game is a mess, it is a shame because the fantastic world is all there, sadly though it just feels like it has had bits edited so much that it is very inconsistent. I've had quests that point me somewhere, only they've changed the way you get there now and they've failed to update the quest text to tell you how you need to get there now. There are weird map inconsistencies too, I don't like the map when you're in Teldrassil, feels very broken and you cannot zoom in at all.

You only got to level 20...You were essentially doing all the quests that were back when you quit...So ya the exact quests you left to are going to be the exact quests of now. Only a few actually got changed. So whatever you quests you are talking about that are dotted around is wrong. The quests are still the same quests they were in Vanilla, with a few areas that were changed due to cata.

From what it sounds like you probably wont enjoy any game you play in the next 10 years probably. You have this thought of nostalgia that is still in the game but you dont remember it right so it will never live up to your expectation.

That just sounds worse, I like having a massive library of skills. What I loved about SWTOR, I feel engadget managing all my skills, why I think GW2 and TESO online combat is so boring, you get like 5 or so skills and that is it..

You only have about 6 abilities you use in SWTOR. Not sure what you are talking about. If you are using more than 6 abilities than you are not using your rotations correctly.

Also they are just toning down some of the skills you need to use. WoW you have to use about 10-15 during a fight. They are cutting it down for some classes that takes more skills.

You only got to level 20...You were essentially doing all the quests that were back when you quit...So ya the exact quests you left to are going to be the exact quests of now. Only a few actually got changed. So whatever you quests you are talking about that are dotted around is wrong. The quests are still the same quests they were in Vanilla, with a few areas that were changed due to cata.

From what it sounds like you probably wont enjoy any game you play in the next 10 years probably. You have this thought of nostalgia that is still in the game but you dont remember it right so it will never live up to your expectation.

You only have about 6 abilities you use in SWTOR. Not sure what you are talking about. If you are using more than 6 abilities than you are not using your rotations correctly.

Also they are just toning down some of the skills you need to use. WoW you have to use about 10-15 during a fight. They are cutting it down for some classes that takes more skills.

Well I dunno what SWTOR is like now, but when I was playing I had a few hot bars full of skills that I used actively. 

I dunno what you're going on about with quests not changing, I went back to Vanilla servers and the structure of them all are totally different. They used to be mostly all open for you to do when you want, not they lock them all and make them so linear.

Well I dunno what SWTOR is like now, but when I was playing I had a few hot bars full of skills that I used actively. 

I dunno what you're going on about with quests not changing, I went back to Vanilla servers and the structure of them all are totally different. They used to be mostly all open for you to do when you want, not they lock them all and make them so linear.

Swtor hasnt changed anything. You must have been using skills that were lowering your DPS, once you hit max there is only about 6 skills you need to use. Check out Noxxic or some other theorycrafting site to check out what your class should be using.

Also you were 10 years younger then. Maybe you didnt know how to quest properly and would get a quest and run around and think it was open and now that you are older you know you have to get all the quests complete them and move on for efficiency. 

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413

In the open world, yes. In the quests, instances, raids, and lore, no.

although I wasn't too terribly impressed with vanilla, either. Great game, but one among hundreds.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I truly believe the reason WoW has survived as long as it has, is due to how large they initially made the world feel. Isn't that supposed to be what RPG's are like in general? A massive new world for you to explore.

I feel that worlds in general have been lacking in MMO's as of late.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

You ask this now? Not sure I get it.

The "world" hasn't felt like WOW was "vanilla" for years. Is why the majority moved on

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly... its not that great anymore. Flying mounts did  a number on ruining that experience. Only zones that are created that in mind really can pull it off, and even then a lot of them just feel 'meh'. That is part of the reason they aren't doing Flying Mounts for WOD (at least at launch) as it really did make the world feel lifeless and dull. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I still think Blizzard would do well to offer a few servers of each of the early versions. ie Vanilla, TBC, and WotLK. I would pay for a subscription to a 2.4.3 release!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• greymanicgreymanic Member UncommonPosts: 25
    The soundtrack alone sucks me back in to resub.  If anything the feeling is still there despite all the other changes.  WoW is huge on the nostalgic meter for me and sometimes I'm dissapointed in the changes cata did to the landscapes. I'm still longing for the day that they let us control boats and go exploring thousands of miles of sea and all the various things you might discover... naval battles, etc.  Think Warcraft 2 and how fun it was the first time you landed your corsairs and unloaded on the enemy beaches.  
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The only thing I really enjoyed about Cata and its sole saving grace to me was the way Blizzard restructured the world and changed the 1-60 experience.  Unfortunately once you're out of that part of the game and have leveled to 58 (the level you can start taking quests in Outland), things feel very sectioned-off (particularly since, unlike the early levels, they changed almost nothing about the expansion zones).  At first it wasn't that noticeable but now everywhere you go is a different "continent" and what's worse, a small continent compared to EK or Kalimdor, so it's like you're hovering around these little islands packed with content at every turn instead of ever feeling like you're "looking for adventure".

I still enjoy the game, but travel is very effortless now and the later content is all very separate and that kind of sucks.

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35

I remember back then the world felt so seamless, you'd have to travel in real time everywhere, had boat rides, Griffins and there was no instant travel apart from the Hearth stone...was it? Everyone was in the world and it was packed all the time, loads of world PVP going on and grouping with random people to get quests done. 

So far I've played a little bit of it and I have barely seen any one around, but I'm still getting on boats (thought they're going to different places now) and using Griffins. I still have a sense of a world which no MMOs do any more. 

If I keep playing will this be the case still or will I find out everyone is instant warping everywhere and the world might as well not be there?

Not even close. Pandaria was such a lazy expansion, which sadly, they still survived due to the complete failure of every MMO released since with the exception of GW2(which is more of a side game, most play both). They added a new race and class but not much else. Every Pandarian area looks suspiciously like an old area in a different expansion.

The old world feel has been gone ever since dungeon finder, which allowed you to never leave your main city for almost any reason once you farmed some gold.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

WoW barely did even in Vanilla.

Between the signpost NPCs with the !! over their heads, the in game maps holding your hand, the linearity of the world, the tiny instanced dungeons. It always felt more like a game than a world, compared to pre WoW MMOs.

• poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I recently started leveling from scratch with my GF in Arthas (alliance) and let me tell you there is PVP EVERYWHERE. The world still feels huge and vast and open because it is. I have had to use Flight Paths, boats, the Tram. After playing FF14 for a few months I can see what I missed the most about WoW and it was the huge open world.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by tawess

Some things are better, some are (according to your criteria) worse

Better: The new Looking for group tools has eliminated the need to stay in a specific spot while waiting for a group.

Better: The world have been updated so even if you were around in Vanilla there are now new things to see and discover

Better: You now have a grand total of four landmasses to explore (depending on expansion level)

Better: Connected realms have helped with population in many areas for smaller servers

"Worse": Classic world PvP is dead. Partially because most people have moved to Pandaria and partially because travel now can be done by flight in Azeroth too. But the biggest reason is that nobody can be arsed to work for it any more. The world is still there and all the tools needed are still active. But nobody care to work for it any more.

"Worse": Flying, yes if you dislike it is still there. But good news.. Blizzard is thinking of not letting people fly in Draenor until the end of the expansion.. if at all.

"Worse": LFG/LFR does not force you to trek all over the world any more. This can lead to funny moments when people do not know where the entrance to a dungeon is.

"Worse": Connected realms have finally killed what was left of "server-community" so no more e-fame.. Sorry.

So it is a mixed bag depending on what you value

Tawess post = /thread.  Looking forward to no flying mounts in WoD :D

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I disagree with you totally - Especially when you write that the level 1-20 quests today are the same as in Vanilla WoW. 

For example, the Goldshire starting area has been stripped of all the Defias quests. Instead, they have these horrible slay 10 orc quests.

All the good quest stories have gone.

Even the Worgen starting area gets boring and it has a nasty bug that can make the game crash.

You never see enemy players trying to attack or infiltrate cities. These things used to happen many times a day.

WoW is definitely not the game it once was.