Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Wildstar will gather the hatred that ESO has?

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by amber-r

So yes, will it get as much hatred or just go almost unnoticed?

the only way a game with an original IP is going to get a lot of hate is if it ends up horrible and then it will be by those that paid for it.

ESO deserves whatever it gets because its a popular IP, and all popular IP MMOs got it, not just ESO. ESO seems worse because more of its core fans actually post to forums unlike core Conan and Lord of the Rings fans, but those that did skewered the MMOs.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Original IPs have a lot more trouble establishing themselves sadly over established series. Its good and bad. The fact ESO is a Elder Scrolls game is where much of its hate does stem from I think.  Wildstar doesn't have that issue to deal with.

On the flip side, sadly gamers tend to only want 'what is familiar' which I think will make it harder for the game, which already needs to advertise itself. I think the only haters will be the 12 year olds (or 12 year olds at heart) who feel anything that threatens them being called kids is bad. 

The game itself is well designed, and though I feel early on it is lacking (something i hope is improved) I don't see it being hated. If anything I see it being like Rift, a well designed MMO and concept, just unfortunately over-looked due to not enough marketting and being original IP sadly not attracting people as much. So far I think its well made and by far the strongest looking AAA titles in years (ignoring relaunch of FF14), though we will see after its launch and just how it plays all the way through. :)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

One thing that ESO is being criticized for that Wildstar doesn't have to worry about is diverting from an established IP.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by killion81
    If the Wildstar release is a train wreck like the ESO one was, I expect it will get just as much hate thrown at it.  If it's a smooth release, it will probably get less hate.

I dont get MMOers, you think by now they would get that when it comes to tech or code you can never be sure how its going to really work till its in a real world environment. No amount of testing will work like the real world launch. If you cant take bugs and problems that come with a new MMO and it will make you rage quit, then wait 3 months.  

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Margrave

I keep forgetting about Wildstar.

Tried it, and thought it was ok just nothing amazing. I'm personally just not interested in WoW in space right now.

/Edit_For_Spelling

Most people who say this when I ask, they didnt get to level 20+ or try a dungeon. This game is nothing like WoW other then the art having the same feeling. Game play, game system and just how everything works like specs on chars works nothing like WoW lol

I see your point but I disagree. No I didn't get the level cap in beta, but after playing several characters to 20+ and one to 30+, it really is more like WoW than any other game, even Rift really. It's not a bad thing, I don't know why copying WoW has such a negative connotation when it produces success such as SWToR and Rift. I use the term success loosely, but you get what I'm saying.

The only big different between WildStar and WoW is more telelgraphs and an attempt at a less spammy combat system, but even at 30+ I found myself using the same 2 attacks over and over again. It's not a bad thing again, simplicity gets you players which gets you money.

WildStar is a good game, it will do just fine despite what people may say about it.

Did you do a dungeon? 

I only ran through one dungeon, but it seemed to be a pretty standard affair of just learning the encounter via making mistakes or looking up a strategy. Just your standard MMO dungeon was the impression I got from running one. Once again, not a bad thing.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Tried it, and thought it was ok just nothing amazing. I'm personally just not interested in WoW in space right now.

/Edit_For_Spelling

Most people who say this when I ask, they didnt get to level 20+ or try a dungeon. This game is nothing like WoW other then the art having the same feeling. Game play, game system and just how everything works like specs on chars works nothing like WoW lol

I see your point but I disagree. No I didn't get the level cap in beta, but after playing several characters to 20+ and one to 30+, it really is more like WoW than any other game, even Rift really. It's not a bad thing, I don't know why copying WoW has such a negative connotation when it produces success such as SWToR and Rift. I use the term success loosely, but you get what I'm saying.

The only big different between WildStar and WoW is more telelgraphs and an attempt at a less spammy combat system, but even at 30+ I found myself using the same 2 attacks over and over again. It's not a bad thing again, simplicity gets you players which gets you money.

WildStar is a good game, it will do just fine despite what people may say about it.

Did you do a dungeon? 

I only ran through one dungeon, but it seemed to be a pretty standard affair of just learning the encounter via making mistakes or looking up a strategy. Just your standard MMO dungeon was the impression I got from running one. Once again, not a bad thing.

Now I am not sure you played at all. Or maybe its just me but dungeons in Wildstar is where you get an idea what raiding will be like in this game and its unlike any MMO I have played. Boss fights alone should leave you going AHHHHHH what am I going to do next??? I dont know if I am gona live. Did you even make it to the end boss? 

If the Wildstar release is a train wreck like the ESO one was, I expect it will get just as much hate thrown at it.  If it's a smooth release, it will probably get less hate.

I dont get MMOers, you think by now they would get that when it comes to tech or code you can never be sure how its going to really work till its in a real world environment. No amount of testing will work like the real world launch. If you cant take bugs and problems that come with a new MMO and it will make you rage quit, then wait 3 months.  

Many of those bugs would have been found and fixed if there was a fully fleshed out test instead of a small group of internal testers while the majority had "weekends" that consisted of the starting area and a few PvP weekends. I cant recall the last MMO that released with progress stopping bugs preventing people from getting close to the last quests.

Enough with the excuses already. Its not like the game wasn't in development a long time and was rushed to release.

/Edit_For_Spelling

Did you do a dungeon? 

Now I am not sure you played at all. Or maybe its just me but dungeons in Wildstar is where you get an idea what raiding will be like in this game and its unlike any MMO I have played. Boss fights alone should leave you going AHHHHHH what am I going to do next??? I dont know if I am gona live. Did you even make it to the end boss? 

We completed the dungeon. Maybe I'm just hard to impress when it comes to dungeons, or I'm so jaded after running through over 15 years. I didn't get that feeling at all when fighting the end boss, it was more like "oh ok that's what he's doing". There wasn't a sense of fear or dread or anything if that's what you were getting at.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I get where you are coming from. My only point is I am sick of people saying WoW clone when in this market its lost all meaning. WoW was a clone of what came before it. If you look at the surface of a game and say WoW because it feels a little familiar, then maybe you need to look at what you are playing. Its like from now till the end of time when I play a FPS I yell DOOM clone. Its WoW because of Art, its WoW because of tiers, its WoW because it has questing hubs. WS does not even do quest hubs because most quests are found and truned in while playing in the field of mobs. WoW clone needs to be chucked out unless the game is like 90% like WoW as all MMOs from sandbox to theme park are going to have some of the roots that made WoW work.  

Yeah I hate when people say WoW clone too, it's not really a part of my MMO vocabulary because "clone" carries with it too many connotations (usually negative) and people certainly use the phrase to insult both WoW and the game they're referring to as a WoW clone. It's a dismissive term which doesn't provide any value to any discussion.

Originally posted by Tbau

Many of those bugs would have been found and fixed if there was a fully fleshed out test instead of a small group of internal testers while the majority had "weekends" that consisted of the starting area and a few PvP weekends. I cant recall the last MMO that released with progress stopping bugs preventing people from getting close to the last quests.

Enough with the excuses already. Its not like the game wasn't in development a long time and was rushed to release.

As an network engineer I can tell you, your post is wrong. You have no clue how things will go till you send the game to the real world. Sure you can catch things but if you were even around a bunch of coders and network guys when systems go lives for the first time and what their life is like for the first few weeks of doing so, you would eat your words and crawl in a hole for shame.

As an network engineer I can tell you, your post is wrong. You have no clue how things will go till you send the game to the real world. Sure you can catch things but if you were even around a bunch of coders and network guys when systems go lives for the first time and what their life is like for the first few weeks of doing so, you would eat your words and crawl in a hole for shame.

Well, you just lost all credibility for feeling the need to talk about being a network engineer along with a personal attack.

/Edit_For_Spelling

Did you do a dungeon? 

We completed the dungeon. Maybe I'm just hard to impress when it comes to dungeons, or I'm so jaded after running through over 15 years. I didn't get that feeling at all when fighting the end boss, it was more like "oh ok that's what he's doing". There wasn't a sense of fear or dread or anything if that's what you were getting at.

I found this low level 20 boss as fun as any raid boss I have done!!! It has some many things going on... watch HERE!!!

Well, you just lost all credibility for feeling the need to talk about being a network engineer along with a personal attack.

Wait, I get the network engineer thing being non relevant, but where was the personal attack? 

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

I dont think WildStar will bring the hatred ESO did. The big reason being that ESO was riding on the Elder Scrolls name itself. WildStar is not riding on past games or lore. So there is no preset expectation coming into the game.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

Every MMO has it's own set of haters- that's what happens when you live in a society where differing opinions are allowed to coexist.

WildStar has already gotten hate.  It has been dismissed as simply another "WoW clone", "too childish" because of the graphics, "spoonfed gameplay" because there is a way to show you the path you can take (purely optional), "unoptimized" (it's not even live yet, so I don't know why people say this). 

When it goes live, I'm sure there will be more vocal people.  But, honestly, every single hate post I have read about WildStar has boiled down to "just play WoW". 

The hatred ESO is getting- from my perspective based off of the feedback I have been reading- is from fans of ES that honestly feel like they are being screwed with by having a generic MMO world with an ES skin.  I haven't played it, so I can't vouche one way or the other.  I did read the article on here about the ESO hate, and I have to say, I agree with everything that was said in it.

People in social settings tend to rely heavily on groupthink.  That is when the majority develops an opinion on something (anything- tv shows, religious beliefs, sports, video games) and anything else is opposition to the belief of the group.  Too afraid to respect the individual, ingesting more and more hate with each thing they dismiss.  It's easier to do in a group setting as the guilt is left among the group, not the individual.  

I feel that both WildStar and ESO have been heavily attacked by the groupthink.  There is nothing you can do about this but enjoy what you enjoy, and watch as the chorus of haters sing their disgust.

TL;DR- Read my signature- it's how people work.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

What attack???? Really??? 

EDIT: If being trained in the area Im talking about loses credit with you... well... who can talk about it that would have cred in your eyes? Burger flipper?

I found this low level 20 boss as fun as any raid boss I have done!!! It has some many things going on... watch HERE!!!

Heh, that's actually the one dungeon I have done. It really wasn't that involved to me, had about as many mechanics on the last boss as a Rift dungeon, with around the same difficulty. A little bit harder than WoW dungeons though, that's for sure!

Heh, that's actually the one dungeon I have done. It really wasn't that involved to me, had about as many mechanics on the last boss as a Rift dungeon, with around the same difficulty. A little bit harder than WoW dungeons though, that's for sure!

Ouch, for a level entry boss I thought it was awesome =-) I would hate to be the one to have to impress you lol. Did you watch THIS

Ouch, for a level entry boss I thought it was awesome =-) I would hate to be the one to have to impress you lol. Did you watch THIS

The falling floor mechanic is pretty cool, only seen it used a few times before in other games. As good as I think the game will be, it just didn't amaze me as much as it did you I guess. We all have different tastes though, if everyone loved vanilla ice cream no one would of invented all the other good flavors :)

The falling floor mechanic is pretty cool, only seen it used a few times before in other games. As good as I think the game will be, it just didn't amaze me as much as it did you I guess. We all have different tastes though, if everyone loved vanilla ice cream no one would of invented all the other good flavors :)

Its true =-) I was a little turned off by the telepraphs in Wildstar, made me think of GW2 but they were packaged so different that I came to love them in WS. I hope my wife likes them as much as I do lol or this will be a short stop over lol

Its true =-) I was a little turned off by the telepraphs in Wildstar, made me think of GW2 but they were packaged do different that I came to love them in WS. I hope my wife likes them as much as I do lol or this will be a short stop over lol

My wife LOVES WildStar heh. I hope yours does too. It's funny, we both played Rift and GW2 together and now we sit side by side playing different games but having just as much fun. It's pretty fun watching each other play separate games still, I'm deep into ESO but it didn't grab her like it did me. I'll probably pick up 2 copies of WS eventually, but for now we game together, yet separate :)

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Wild Star will start with a small player base then work it's way to the top over the next two years. Just my guess. 

Its true =-) I was a little turned off by the telepraphs in Wildstar, made me think of GW2 but they were packaged do different that I came to love them in WS. I hope my wife likes them as much as I do lol or this will be a short stop over lol

My wife LOVES WildStar heh. I hope yours does too. It's funny, we both played Rift and GW2 together and now we sit side by side playing different games but having just as much fun. It's pretty fun watching each other play separate games still, I'm deep into ESO but it didn't grab her like it did me. I'll probably pick up 2 copies of WS eventually, but for now we game together, yet separate :)

Ya we beta tested ESO and loved it way more then WS but with the teaming problems and phasing we just started hating the game. Maybe with the new patch and the promise you can see people in phased areas you are teamed with I will try it again lol

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100

Not sure if its going to get the same amount of hate considering ESO had mountains of hate from ES fans and mmo players it was really unfair for ESO. However if Wildstar launches with just as many gamebreaking bugs or does a mass ban or any other mistakes ESO has done then maybe.

But being a brand new IP is going to help them imo

Originally posted by oboc
    Wild Star will start with a small player base then work it's way to the top over the next two years. Just my guess. 

I have been calling it the dark horse for well over a year... I think its gona shock everyone a year after release.