Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does ESO have "too many" options?

Before everyone jumps onto this thread and starts a flame war on how stupid of an argument this is, i’d like to state my sentiment about this topic first.

I appreciate a game that allows me to explore my character’s class and customize my character however I want, but sometimes you start reaching a territory where there are SO many options that it becomes difficult to stick to one. As an example, I initially wanted to main the Templar and go down the DPS route. Hell, I even made my own guide and I was super excited for the prospect of a DPS role in future raids/dungeons. But as I started experimenting more and more and watching other classes, I realized that I was getting out DPS’d rather quickly. I started theorycrafting new combinations and I went from being a naive Templar lover to someone who is now min/maxing.

Now I realize the issue with my example AND argument, because there are so many options I should experiment them ALL and see which one I like, and that it’s a good thing to have variety, but I feel like when you have TOO MUCH variety, you realize that there is no pure class and everything is a hybrid, but eventually, you’ll see min/max builds and the variety starts bottlenecking into a specific defined role.

As state before, there are arguments against and for the discussion, but I wanted to state my opinion on this topic and i’d love to know what the rest of you think about it!

(Also, i’m not sure if this is allowed but i’m going to link a recent video I made and it fits perfectly with this discussion, so I hope people find it as a useful resource!)

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Nope, too few. It is not even close to the old, real MMOs, in the options department

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Okay, um, so I watched your video. Few things.

1. The video has nothing to do with specs. It's you, rambling about making youtube videos and being indecisive about how often to make youtube videos.

2. Kids, don't do drugs else you will make youtube videos like this.

3. When a boss is chasing you while doing an AoE attack, don't run straight into your group. Seriously wth?

And to answer the thread title. No. There are never too many options, only people who can't handle having too many options.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    You can never have too many options, but I have been pretty amazed how they can take 4 classes and make nearly infinite combinations of abilities to suit each player's need.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219

Good points but in the end I don't think its possible to have to many options with the way they designed the game.

I think that all characters that are created through this game will be hybrid, It seems to be built that way. If you are not a hybrid in some way you wont be as functional.

For example if you build a dps character without any healing capability you are probably gonna have a pretty hard time when you hit the Veteran Levels because taking on 3 or sometimes 4 mobs at once gets crazy and would be nearly impossible without some kind of healing.

And the reverse is true too, if you have a healing character you wont do enough damage fast enough to live through the fight.

I think this game throws all previous notions of a class out the window.

And this also applies to grouping too, I have been in several groups where I am the dps but we get more mobs than we wanted and I switched to healing.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

More options the better, the more complex the better; I have a old friend of mine and we have been playing mmos for years; he does not know to figure out the "theory" of class customization in how to visualize skill combinations to construct a defined play style. And for the love of god I have explained those concepts to him over and over, and he still does not get it, So I called him an idiot, well because he is......and being an idiot friend that he is, its ok to tell him that

I just don't like or promote dumbed down games

If you lead an idiot to water, it still does not know what do, then it a scientifically factually confirmed idiot

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    You can never have too many options, but I have been pretty amazed how they can take 4 classes and make nearly infinite combinations of abilities to suit each player's need.

Imagine what it would have been like with 1 class! Even more options!

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Imagine what it would have been like with 1 class! Even more options!

That would of been cool as well, and more "ES" like for people who wanted Skyrim Online I guess :p

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The more options, the better...always.

The more people that use those options, the more wacky OP combinations they will come up with.

Who knew a month ago that the increased fire damage vampires take would be a total non issue compared to its OP'd Ultimate and Mist Form? Now we know....and so do they... and the nerf will come... such is the fate of FOTM OP'd builds.

It happens in class-locked games, fully open ones or hybrids lie this one.

But all in all... more options = good.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Themepark mmos are already so linear and easy and you think the only aspect ESO has, which is not easy and linear, is too difficult to manage? My gosh you people want thing served on a platter for you...

Skyrim was even more open ended and allowed you to pick any skill and, if anything, that is how ESO should be. Get rid of the class only skill lines and let everyone decide exactly how they want to build your character. You can only have 10 active skills at anytime so it would not be imbalanced unless there are some skills which are imbalanced, which is what should be addressed in that case.

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Yamota

Themepark mmos are already so linear and easy and you think the only aspect ESO has, which is not easy and linear, is too difficult to manage? My gosh you people want thing served on a platter for you...

Skyrim was even more open ended and allowed you to pick any skill and, if anything, that is how ESO should be. Get rid of the class only skill lines and let everyone decide exactly how they want to build your character. You can only have 10 active skills at anytime so it would not be imbalanced unless there are some skills which are imbalanced, which is what should be addressed in that case.

Or they could lock abilities to weapons like TSW or maybe class stances/auras/whatever to avoid a complete balancing nightmare.  ES games are know for their ridiculous OP builds so they don't want to make it completely open in a game with large scale pvp.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

In single player ES games you could eventually develop any skill, but you had to actively use it.  This meant that if you decided to convert a cloth-using mage to a plate-wearing battleaxe wielder you had to go through a rough transition period where you were pretty awful before you could recover.  So, in practice, most players didn't play jack-of-all-trade builds because it was a nuisance and you were better off picking a concept and running with it.

I like the classes here - they provide some structure without being overwhelmingly prescriptive.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

If a game doesn't force me to think before I click accept, then it doesn't have enough options.  The MMOs that are "tree based" generally don't offer much choice.  The ones that are skill based offer slight more, but are generally still watered down and bland.

We don't have the Shadowbanes, the SWGs, the UOs anymore.  It is all about "give me power now" instead of building yourself up for that "one build".

Does ESO have too many options?  IMO, it doesn't have enough!

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity