Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Alpha player sentenced to 770 minutes in jail

Comments

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons KavlingePosts: 324Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by flizzer

I beg to differ.  This does not sound as a real deterrent but just an rp or fun game mechanic.  People have multiple infractions it seems and others look forward to experiencing it. Griefing other players will be rampant it seems via killing/stealing.   Any meaningful penalty would invovle game bans invovling weeks at a time or huge exp/gold fines. 

As a PvE oriented player it seems griefing will be rampant.

From what i understand if a player continues to exhibit bad behavior and keeps goin to jail they will be barded from major cities and the like. Guards with kill that player on site if they atempt to enter cities. Meaning they will become outlaws. Now they could band together with other outlaws and atk cities and things like that. a true pirate life =)

I however dont know if this is still a feature of AA. If someone can confirm this i would appreciate it.

I assume you become a pirate, if you do to much crap.

• summitussummitus TimbuktuPosts: 1,414Member
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Well, this is the kind of feature that would make me head straight for the uninstall button.. and probably totally avoid the install button altogether. Not that I think it would ever affect me.. but if it did in some way it would just be annoying. Depends what is considered a crime I suppose...

I really do think it is just a little bit of fun really and Unless your a serious griefer / ganker of lower level players etc , its not really going to affect you and even if it did the sentences are usually only minutes , and you can also escape too if you really want too , I was on a Jury last night and it really is just a bit of fun.

Its also funny when you see an escaped prisoner out in the world with their prison stripes.

So you maybe overreacting just a little. 

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by oilthu

People have to eat, sleep, shower etc...

The common tactic is too simply wait until you'd usually log off, ie when you go to eat, sleep, shower and just get yourself killed and then leave your computer on.

Great system on paper but as more people get used to it the less of an impact it will actually have sadly.

Not really... Going to jail doesn't mean your criminal points are gone. You keep them and you have to work them off (if you want to). I've read somewhere that you can do some chorus in jail to lower the criminal points. Since I never have been to jail (yet) I can't comment on it. But I'm sure that when I start to PvP I will get there (100+ CP already) and honestly, I really want to get there, even if it's only for the experience and learn what's in there ;)

You do not want to go in there....there are men, big men....and don't drop the soap....

I just got to get on those juries.

• BillSussmanBillSussman MelbournePosts: 42Member
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

As of right now, ArcheAge's criminal and justice system is interesting to say the least. Simply because your imprisonment is determined by the 5 Jury members who vote on whether you are guilty of the charges against you. So, for the guy in the OP who had 770 minutes of jail time, I was there for this trial by the way. He actually had 409 counts of criminal activity, which is actually quite a bit. I'm not sure if those were all just stealing or if he murdered people too. Point is, you do bad things, you can end up sitting in jail for a long time. Yes, you can break out, but you still can't do anything, no combat, no crafting, nothing but talk.

Right now, I'm sitting at 210 criminal points all from stealing unprotected crops and trees. While it's a crime to steal crops, most people will do it because stealing doesn't bring as harsh a punishment as murder. Of course, you won't pay any consequences if you managed to never get killed by another players. So, if you think you are invincible than maybe being a pirate is where you should be.

I do like this system though as it puts players in the seat of justice. The thing is, there is literally tons of stuff to do in this game, that it literally blows my mind. Not since SWG have a seen a game so player interactive.

1) Wars / Conflicted Zones with varying states of disruption which is constantly changing.

2) Questing that seems to flow smoothly ( Still hub based to some degree )

3) Resource gathering / Crafting which hasn't been this complex since SWG and Eve Online came out.

4) Labor points determine how often you can perform gathering and crafting skills. Which adds strategy to crafting.

5) Trade runs which earn you rewards to purchase a house or even a castle among a ton of other things.

6) Own your own farm, starting with a 9x9 plot with a scarecrow to start growing your initial crops and trees.

7) Mounts as early as level 10 which usually takes about 1-2 hours to reach and armor for mounts.

8) Combat pets by level 15 and your first pet is actually a level 30 fox which is handy for combat.

9) Criminal activity such as stealing unprotected crops or forests. This means people planted outside of their designated farmland and in the wild where anyone can grab it. Usually because the amount of resources needed for certain quests or tasks makes people impatient and greedy. However, other players are constantly on the lookout for your hidden cache of goods.

10) Sailing and owning your boat, ranging from a starting rowboat to a giant galleon or merchant ship. Fully capable of firing cannons and harpoons. Not to mention you can go diving for treasure lost by the casualties of war at sea.

I could go on and on, but really, the game is fundamentally complex. The detail of what you can do as a player actually gives each person a feeling of worth which so many MMO's fail to do. Oh, by the way, yes you an put that fish you just caught in a fish tank for your house. Seriously, I can't think of anything this game doesn't have that anyone has ever asked for in an MMO.

You sir have made me want this game even more. I've been on the ropes about it and wasn't quite sure what was available during ALPHA period. I'm sure there are heaps of other things you haven't mentioned and now i seriously am thinking about putting down the 150. 

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG LiverpoolPosts: 332Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Well, this is the kind of feature that would make me head straight for the uninstall button.. and probably totally avoid the install button altogether. Not that I think it would ever affect me.. but if it did in some way it would just be annoying. Depends what is considered a crime I suppose...

You only get Karma points if you:

a) Steal

b) Kill your own faction members

That's it.

If you get 3000 Karma points - you'll automaticly become a Pirate.

There are 2 daily quests you can finish to reduce your Karma points by 40 pr day.

Once you get 50 Karma points - You'll get a debuff ( saying your a criminal or something) and cab be sent to Court or to Jail, after your own choice, if you die at the hand of another player.

I don't know if Trions Alpha have it, but in Russian Beta, players could finish a quest to become a Sheriff. A Sheriff could hunt down criminals that gained 50 Karma points or above, and send them to Court/Jail.

Originally posted by BillSussman

You sir have made me want this game even more. I've been on the ropes about it and wasn't quite sure what was available during ALPHA period. I'm sure there are heaps of other things you haven't mentioned and now i seriously am thinking about putting down the 150. 

Whether you pay 150$ or 0$ the game will still be the same during beta and release.

Be patient don't waste the money.

• rondericronderic gelsenkirchenPosts: 56Member

The game wouldnt be Archeage if there wasnt more to it.

Players start to get a reputation in this game. So somebody who is well known as a ganker or thief will usually be getting the maximum sentence - but then again, if he has guildmates on the jury and bribes one of the other jury members, he might have a good chance of being declared innocent.

Lots of wheeling and dealing is possible - very EVE like..

The conversation in court is broadcast to the whole faction, so everybody knows what is going on.

You can please some MMO-players all of the time and you can please all MMO-players some of the time but you can't please all MMO-players all of the time.

Originally posted by Jonas_SG

Whether you pay 150$ or 0$ the game will still be the same during beta and release.

Its not a waste of money , you get a ton of stuff / value for your $150.

Originally posted by summitus

150$ is equal to more then a year wort

Originally posted by summitus

150$ is equal to more then a year wort

All this has been said before , you get 3 Months Patron Status ( subscription ) plus about $70 or so dollars to spend on stuff in the game , some other cool stuff like Founders Armour , cool glider etc , so in actual fact its only costing about $30 to get in now and play it months before its released. Great value to me and many many others playing the game right now. If its not good value for you , don't get it ... simple as that really ;)

• papabear151papabear151 Owensboro, KYPosts: 96Member
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Loke666

Hmm, this actually sounds really fun. :)

A MMO where actions like this actually have consequences do have a lot of potential. This game just moved up a few spots on my list.

Aye, in all other games with open PvP and thieving, the world ended ruled by the psychopatic murdering bullies. Maybe that won't happen here.

Have you ever looked at the real world?

• RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,492Member Uncommon

Just to clarify, there are 2 different category of points in the justice system. You have criminal points which is a total of all the crimes you have committed since start of game or since you were last in jail. Points are gained by killing same faction players ( murder ) or uprooting / gathering crops or trees ( stealing ). Criminal points can be diminished by doing certain daily quests, but there is a limit to the amount of quests you can do each day. If you have over 50 criminal points, you are tagged with a debuff which is only a tag, it doesn't affect your stats.

The second set of points falls under the Infamy category which is the equivalent of your total criminal history. Once you surpass 3000 Infamy you are flagged as an outlaw / pirate and banned from starter continents. You do however have an island you can call home along with your other ruthless gang of murderers and thugs. I'm not sure if you can reduce Infamy or not yet, but I'm going to assume you can't to help deter people from abusing the system and living like a criminal without any consequences.

So, it's quite simple. Want to be a good person? Don't steal crops that aren't yours and don't kill same faction players. This can be hard sometimes as some people wanting to be criminals in your faction may very well go out of their way to kill you. All I can suggest is running away and hope they get tagged or banned from the continent. I'm also unsure of whether or not killing same faction players that are currently tagged as an outlaw is legal, except if you are a sheriff. This isn't confirmed yet as far as I know, but if someone does know for sure, feel free to chime in and let us know.

• Flex1Flex1 Cabo RojoPosts: 407Member
    Originally posted by Darwa

When you get killed by a player, you are sent to Court, with 5 Judges, which determine your faite.

So if a player gets killed, then they get punished again, and not the player that performed the killing?

Jonas left out that it only applies to you IF you are a wanted criminal as is the case of this topic.

The player had 400+ criminal points so when he got killed by another player, either a highway murderer or someone actually hunting him, he got sent to Court as maybe that counts as caught by the law.

• Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 773Member Uncommon

As of right now, ArcheAge's criminal and justice system is interesting to say the least. Simply because your imprisonment is determined by the 5 Jury members who vote on whether you are guilty of the charges against you. So, for the guy in the OP who had 770 minutes of jail time, I was there for this trial by the way. He actually had 409 counts of criminal activity, which is actually quite a bit. I'm not sure if those were all just stealing or if he murdered people too. Point is, you do bad things, you can end up sitting in jail for a long time. Yes, you can break out, but you still can't do anything, no combat, no crafting, nothing but talk.

Right now, I'm sitting at 210 criminal points all from stealing unprotected crops and trees. While it's a crime to steal crops, most people will do it because stealing doesn't bring as harsh a punishment as murder. Of course, you won't pay any consequences if you managed to never get killed by another players. So, if you think you are invincible than maybe being a pirate is where you should be.

I do like this system though as it puts players in the seat of justice. The thing is, there is literally tons of stuff to do in this game, that it literally blows my mind. Not since SWG have a seen a game so player interactive.

1) Wars / Conflicted Zones with varying states of disruption which is constantly changing.

2) Questing that seems to flow smoothly ( Still hub based to some degree )

3) Resource gathering / Crafting which hasn't been this complex since SWG and Eve Online came out.

4) Labor points determine how often you can perform gathering and crafting skills. Which adds strategy to crafting.

5) Trade runs which earn you rewards to purchase a house or even a castle among a ton of other things.

6) Own your own farm, starting with a 9x9 plot with a scarecrow to start growing your initial crops and trees.

7) Mounts as early as level 10 which usually takes about 1-2 hours to reach and armor for mounts.

8) Combat pets by level 15 and your first pet is actually a level 30 fox which is handy for combat.

9) Criminal activity such as stealing unprotected crops or forests. This means people planted outside of their designated farmland and in the wild where anyone can grab it. Usually because the amount of resources needed for certain quests or tasks makes people impatient and greedy. However, other players are constantly on the lookout for your hidden cache of goods.

10) Sailing and owning your boat, ranging from a starting rowboat to a giant galleon or merchant ship. Fully capable of firing cannons and harpoons. Not to mention you can go diving for treasure lost by the casualties of war at sea.

I could go on and on, but really, the game is fundamentally complex. The detail of what you can do as a player actually gives each person a feeling of worth which so many MMO's fail to do. Oh, by the way, yes you an put that fish you just caught in a fish tank for your house. Seriously, I can't think of anything this game doesn't have that anyone has ever asked for in an MMO.

Do Labor Points act the same way as Age of Wushu where once they are used by a character that character cant harvest/craft any more until they refill and if so, how long does it take for Labor Points to refill?

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,549Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by papabear151
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Loke666

Hmm, this actually sounds really fun. :)

A MMO where actions like this actually have consequences do have a lot of potential. This game just moved up a few spots on my list.

Aye, in all other games with open PvP and thieving, the world ended ruled by the psychopatic murdering bullies. Maybe that won't happen here.

Have you ever looked at the real world?

In my country, people generally don't kill each other "just because they can", and those who do are hunted down and taken care of. But then, I live in a democracy, and laws protect people from such things. That's what they try to emulate in ArcheAge.

If you want anarchy, go play games like darkfall.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• i_own_ui_own_u Posts: 312Member Uncommon
    So...can pirates go to jail too? From what it sounded like earlier, you can just pop into a courtroom. What if I am pillaging and suddenly I am on trial, is that not kind of unfair to the players who want to be pirates?
  • An4thorAn4thor RomaPosts: 524Member
    This was a rare case..i see plenty of trials of murders and thieves getting 20m top of jail. Biggest sentence i saw was 40m. There are people going under trial 6 times a day and still get 20m of jail.
  • syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,063Member Uncommon

Seriously, I can't think of anything this game doesn't have that anyone has ever asked for in an MMO.

Complex crafting.

There is no complexity at all to the item making process.  No skill involved at all.

Yes, gathering is nice.  But the item making process is standard.

Also, and a rather big one, PvE servers.  

So while this may be the ideal game for you, it is far from ideal for a lot of people.  

Originally posted by Darth-Batman

Do Labor Points act the same way as Age of Wushu where once they are used by a character that character cant harvest/craft any more until they refill and if so, how long does it take for Labor Points to refill?

When you first make a character, you have something like 1000 labor points. Most activities range from 1 point to harvesting wild plants, to 5 points harvesting ore, 10 points to harvesting a tree and so on. Crafting also spends points depending on the complexity but are usually low enough to allow quite a few crafts per day. The labor points themselves regenerate at 5 points every 5 minutes whether you are online or offline. So basically, you regenerate 1 point every minutes. Only once have I come close to 0 labor points so far at level 30 and that was while farming ore and stone.

• HulluckHulluck lost in bfe, TNPosts: 605Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by oilthu

People have to eat, sleep, shower etc...

The common tactic is too simply wait until you'd usually log off, ie when you go to eat, sleep, shower and just get yourself killed and then leave your computer on.

Great system on paper but as more people get used to it the less of an impact it will actually have sadly.

This is definitely a downside. Having so many logged on just idling will cause issues I'd imagine. Rappelz had a system where you had to stay logged in or use a cs item to get rid of negative effects from pking ect.  Had a bunch of problems with idling at one point.

Originally posted by syriinx

Seriously, I can't think of anything this game doesn't have that anyone has ever asked for in an MMO.

Complex crafting.

There is no complexity at all to the item making process.  No skill involved at all.

Yes, gathering is nice.  But the item making process is standard.

Also, and a rather big one, PvE servers.  

So while this may be the ideal game for you, it is far from ideal for a lot of people.  

You are correct about the actual creation of items isn't complex, but the strategy at end game of determining where to spend labor points is in itself is a different kind of complexity. So no, it's not complex like SWG where you have varying grades of resources to use, to min/max a piece of gear. It is however a complete crafting system that incorporates growing / raising, gathering / harvesting, transforming, creating, trading and so forth.

I'm not sure what you mean by PvE server. Is that a bad thing? I haven't played the Korean or Russian beta's so I don't know if there are PvP, PvE, Both or what. If you are referring to the fact the game doesn't offer open world PvP with full looting, than you are correct, AA doesn't offer that. Considering there are people who don't want that, which is in my opinion, the majority of MMO players, than AA does in fact offer what MOST people are looking for.

• DarwaDarwa CambridgePosts: 2,184Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Flex1
    Originally posted by Darwa

When you get killed by a player, you are sent to Court, with 5 Judges, which determine your faite.

So if a player gets killed, then they get punished again, and not the player that performed the killing?

Jonas left out that it only applies to you IF you are a wanted criminal as is the case of this topic.

The player had 400+ criminal points so when he got killed by another player, either a highway murderer or someone actually hunting him, he got sent to Court as maybe that counts as caught by the law.

That makes sense then. Thanks :)

• Butch808Butch808 sheffieldPosts: 319Member Uncommon
    That all? i got jailed for several month in Face of Mankind, real justice please not 'jailed for a few minutes' lol, thats not even punishment..
  • CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Kendall Park, NJPosts: 184Member Uncommon

There is also a Bounty Hunter system, where at level 40 you can arrest  Prime suspects, criminals etc if you equip the Bounty Hunter cloak. 

Sounds fun to me

HP ENVY TouchSmart Sleekbook
    4th Gen i7-4700MQ processor 2.4 GHZ-3.4 GHZ
    8GB Ram

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Mitchell, ONPosts: 132Member Uncommon

I think the court system is a complete joke. Last night I saw one guy admitted to PKing three players and they let him off scott free. And the next guy got caught stealing strawberries from a private field and he got 90 minutes jail time. Today one guy had 30 kills to his name so far, n he got 50 minutes in jail.

I'm not sure how it all works. But seems just random sentences get handed out depending on who is the judge I guess. I think tho more sentences like 770 minutes would be good deterrent tho.