Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you are L50 and VR1 and think you have achieved something? Think again

124»

Comments

• duiLucidduiLucid Member Posts: 46

Wait wait... so you get the VRs by going into the other faction areas?

That's friggen sweet!

• ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Originally posted by duiLucid

That's friggen sweet!

Yeah!

Some one correct me if I am wrong but this might be the first mmorpg to allow you to see 100% of the games content with one character. :)

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I think its funny when a bashing post backfires on the OP....You know....LIKE THIS ONE!!!   LMAO
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by ElElyon

That's friggen sweet!

Yeah!

Some one correct me if I am wrong but this might be the first mmorpg to allow you to see 100% of the games content with one character. :)

Out of MMOs that have factions, I believe so, yes :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Gravarg

That's friggen sweet!

Yeah!

GW2 archieved the same thing...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

While I love the game so far, I have to admit I hate this VR concept. One more thing along every race in every alliance, and cross alliance guilds, to break that faction feeling into oblivion and homogenizing all the factions to make them just different names on a paper with very little faction uniqueness.

I want to go to Cyrodiil without knowing one inch of the other faction's lands unless I had a char there. They are the enemy, I dont want to know their stuff like I was one of them, I dont want their races to run amongst my own, and having a guild chat shared between all factions as long as someone makes a different faction char is just silly and weird.

Though I'm not getting into the VR grind so I guess it does not matter in the end, once I'm 50 I run another faction on separate character and getting that char to 50 pretty sure means I thank Zenimax for the fun I had.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

That's friggen sweet!

Yeah!

First themepark MMO you mean?

Probably. But I dont see the appeal to this as it would make me much less inclined to roll an alt in a different faction.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    It's amazing how game developers are so lazy these days, they don't even make content anymore. The last game to really shovel the content your way is EQ1. 
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by ohioastro
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    Let me get this straight, we're actually complaining that there is TOO MUCH content in games now?

There's a ton of fanboi comments in these threads about VR, but this is one of the strongest. 

Since when is recycling content 3 times counted as more content?

Since when are three different story lines "recycling content"?

Since never.

The reason I bought this game was because I enjoyed  the questing in the beta. I haven't stopped liking it because it has stretched on longer than leveling in other MMOs. In fact, I'm liking VR areas more as they keep getting tougher and tougher. It'd make sense if they hadn't nerfed other options like grinding groups or dungeons to be completely inefficient, but maybe they'll revisit that decision. 

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That's friggen sweet!

Yeah!

Um, no, each race has unique story up to level 50-ish. Even within that begining of a story is different depending on which background you choose.

So there is at least something new when you make a new race. Not to mention that you have multiple paths for leveling right up to Orr and with downscalaing you dont even have to leave starting areas if you dont want to.

Yes, rolling alts is one of the parts of horizontal progression. So please dot compare ESO with GW2 as they have completely different philosophy behind them.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Best way to approach this game is to give in to the fact that there are 60 levels and 50-60 are all hell levels.
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    So hopefully they tweak it.  I'd be totally OK, for example, if they made the PvP scaling shallower so that a VR1 toon was closer to a VR10 toon - and bumped up the PvP experience a bit.  That way people could participate in PvP after 50 if they felt so moved and the PvE folks could have their questing to do.  Is it really the case that you're at a huge disadvantage in PvP at VR1?

The last sentence of the post above is a great question.  Could someone please answer? I want to pvp when I hit vr1 but will it be a slaughter with vr5-10 players running around owning vr1's or ?? I really don't want to grind out vr10 before being viable in pvp.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Quizar1973
    I think its funny when a bashing post backfires on the OP....You know....LIKE THIS ONE!!!   LMAO

You fanbois are insane.  Post again when you're VR7 and have gone through 300 hours of solo quests, being unviable in PVP the whole time.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Brizlyn
    So hopefully they tweak it.  I'd be totally OK, for example, if they made the PvP scaling shallower so that a VR1 toon was closer to a VR10 toon - and bumped up the PvP experience a bit.  That way people could participate in PvP after 50 if they felt so moved and the PvE folks could have their questing to do.  Is it really the case that you're at a huge disadvantage in PvP at VR1?

The last sentence of the post above is a great question.  Could someone please answer? I want to pvp when I hit vr1 but will it be a slaughter with vr5-10 players running around owning vr1's or ?? I really don't want to grind out vr10 before being viable in pvp.

Between VR1 and VR10, item power continues to scale even though character power doesn't. I've not got to VR10, only VR5, but looking at the scaling, items should be about 50% more powerful at VR10 over VR1.

As far as I'm concerned, that is a big enough gap that it can't be ignored.

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by bobfish
    Originally posted by Brizlyn

Between VR1 and VR10, item power continues to scale even though character power doesn't. I've not got to VR10, only VR5, but looking at the scaling, items should be about 50% more powerful at VR10 over VR1.

As far as I'm concerned, that is a big enough gap that it can't be ignored.

We'll that kinda sucks.  But thanks for answering.  I'll have to try it out and see how it goes.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

That's friggen sweet!

Yeah!

Um, no, each race has unique story up to level 50-ish. Even within that begining of a story is different depending on which background you choose.

So there is at least something new when you make a new race. Not to mention that you have multiple paths for leveling right up to Orr and with downscalaing you dont even have to leave starting areas if you dont want to.

Yes, rolling alts is one of the parts of horizontal progression. So please dot compare ESO with GW2 as they have completely different philosophy behind them.

That could eventually be a problem though in the long run. Games should have some horizontal progression along with the vertical progression for the sake of the longetivity of the game.

If you are just a one character per MMO kind of person, I can see that VR would be fine in its current state, but if you stick around long enough, wouldn't you want to make an alt or two at some point? If the VR levels are a slog and a half, would you want to take other characters through the exact same thing? I would find it pretty strange that alts would be so "frowned upon" by the devs. I would think that one important goal to keep people playing a sub-based game is to encourage them to roll alts...

By the way, I am using "you" in the general sense, not you Malabooga.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208
    When will you guys understand that VR content being good or not depends on your personal tastes? Oh wait, never, because people like to hate and people like to white knight. VR isn't black and white, it got it's good points and also its drawbacks, much of the stuff is on the grey area. If you like slow leveling VR is good for you, if you wanted to rush to vr10 for some reason you are screwed, if you don't like to make alts to experience other quests zones VR is good for you, if you think it destroys faction pride you are screwed. See what I mean?
  • BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

What happens when they release an expansion?  Do they add more levels for you to gain, or do they say that you only gain 50 levels, and each expansion adds to the VR count?  if they add more levels, what does the VR level mean?  If they make it so that each x-pac adds more VR levels, why have VR levels at all, when they could have just upped the level cap in the first place?  Does that mean that the VR levels are simply a time sink?  If that was the case, why not just slow down the overall xp gain?  

I ask because there are gamers that like increasing their "power" as they level, and as I have seen it, the VR levels don't really do that.  If at 50+10 VR, you have gained all the base power you will get, does the new sense of gaining more "power" come from gear?  If that's the case, then the game becomes a gear grind.  If the new areas simply offer new explorable areas with some nice story quests and dungeons to explore, what's the motivation for doing them aside from seeing what's over the next mountain range?  Yes I know there is a sect of gamers that would be just fine with that, but at that point you have cut off the other gamer types from future expansions as they have no reason to go there, and thusly, no reason to buy  the x-pac.  

I am not trying to bash the game, I don't play it after having played some of the beta, and then hearing the issues with their authentication servers, and way they did the imperial race, horse, open faction for pre-orders, etc, I decided I would adopt and even further "wait and see" approach to the MMO that bears the name to one of my favorite sprpg's.  I would like the game to do well, get all its ducks in a row and nicely polished, and sitting stable on the table. 

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    There is a functional difference between levels and vet ranks, namely that your stats stop rising.  I think that the intent is actually to flatten the power curve at the high end for PvP.  If Craglorn is a guide, they'll be incrementally bumping VR ranks up.  It also looks as if they are making the adventure zones start at VR1; it wouldn't surprise me if they expanded the leveling alternatives, especially in about six months when there is a substantial player base at high levels.
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

You fanbois are insane.  Post again when you're VR7 and have gone through 300 hours of solo quests, being unviable in PVP the whole time.

"Unviable" in PvP at VR7?  I was viable and having fun in PvP at level 10 and you're not viable at VR7?  You need to rethink your build.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

"Unviable" in PvP at VR7?  I was viable and having fun in PvP at level 10 and you're not viable at VR7?  You need to rethink your build.

He means gaining XP, the only viable way of levelling in Vet ranks is by questing, you can PvP, but the XP you make would be pointless and if your not  fan of PvP at all, then your screwed even more. 

On a side note, I never understood why developers do this, not just ESO but in many other games as well. They make the xp gain small, which is okay, but then they give you the most boring and uncreative things to do to gain said xp.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Blasphim

What happens when they release an expansion?  Do they add more levels for you to gain, or do they say that you only gain 50 levels, and each expansion adds to the VR count?  if they add more levels, what does the VR level mean?  If they make it so that each x-pac adds more VR levels, why have VR levels at all, when they could have just upped the level cap in the first place?  Does that mean that the VR levels are simply a time sink?  If that was the case, why not just slow down the overall xp gain?  

I ask because there are gamers that like increasing their "power" as they level, and as I have seen it, the VR levels don't really do that.  If at 50+10 VR, you have gained all the base power you will get, does the new sense of gaining more "power" come from gear?  If that's the case, then the game becomes a gear grind.  If the new areas simply offer new explorable areas with some nice story quests and dungeons to explore, what's the motivation for doing them aside from seeing what's over the next mountain range?  Yes I know there is a sect of gamers that would be just fine with that, but at that point you have cut off the other gamer types from future expansions as they have no reason to go there, and thusly, no reason to buy  the x-pac.  

I am not trying to bash the game, I don't play it after having played some of the beta, and then hearing the issues with their authentication servers, and way they did the imperial race, horse, open faction for pre-orders, etc, I decided I would adopt and even further "wait and see" approach to the MMO that bears the name to one of my favorite sprpg's.  I would like the game to do well, get all its ducks in a row and nicely polished, and sitting stable on the table. 

The new area being released, Craglorn, features pseudo raids and raises the VR rank to 12

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

As someone else said they are adding VR for the next content that releases but it would definitely be interesting to know what their actual plan is(assuming they actually have one).

The whole concept is bizarre.  Do 1/3 of the game leveling 1-50 then do 2/3 increasing VR.  Maybe 50 will always be the max level and they will just add VR for the rest of the time the game is live.  Personally....I don't think they have a plan.  What if they release an expansion and raise the level cap to 60?  Are they going to say a 51 is the next level(powerwise) above a VR1 or above VR12+?  Will the VR just disappear or will you then become a Level 51 VR 12.  It really doesn't look thought out.  But I like to think there is some grand plan as to how it will all work.  Maybe if enough people complain about this exact topic it will force them to make an official statement.

• ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

As someone else said they are adding VR for the next content that releases but it would definitely be interesting to know what their actual plan is(assuming they actually have one).

The whole concept is bizarre.  Do 1/3 of the game leveling 1-50 then do 2/3 increasing VR.  Maybe 50 will always be the max level and they will just add VR for the rest of the time the game is live.  Personally....I don't think they have a plan.  What if they release an expansion and raise the level cap to 60?  Are they going to say a 51 is the next level(powerwise) above a VR1 or above VR12+?  Will the VR just disappear or will you then become a Level 51 VR 12.  It really doesn't look thought out.  But I like to think there is some grand plan as to how it will all work.  Maybe if enough people complain about this exact topic it will force them to make an official statement.

It does seem like they haven't though it through but I'm sure they have, they know how MMO's work and they must have an idea of where the game is going to be 3 years from now.

Although, I have wondered what I will be doing when I am done doing all the Veteran zones. Once I do all the quests for all 3 factions what is there left to do?

I am hoping that the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild quest lines will be 50++ content. Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild has big potential for repeatable quests too so that would be good to have.

And I really hope they don't just keep adding Vet Ranks with every expansion. I would like to eventually hit max level :)