Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member Uncommon

Is it possible to be a bow/support?

So let me get this straight... You choose a class (Nightblade, dragonknight, templar, or sorceror) and then you choose armor and weapon type?

So what if I do a templar bow user that focuses on damage and a little bit of support? Will I suck? 

What are the limitations of this game? Will the above example suffer from something like, needing both stamina and magicka and I become junk at both dps and healing/support? Or does this hybrid type gameplay work? (Sort of like a Druid from Titan Quest where I shoot my bow and use a heal spell)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,468Member Uncommon
    Yes, but unless you do enough healing you probably will be filling a DPS slot. In which case you might as well be pure dps.

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,249Member Uncommon

Well if you're intending to play a DPS with support spells, that is quite common and also welcome. If you're looking to take on the role of main healer, you're better off focusing on healing on at least one bar.

I'd say most people use a hybrid magicka/stamina build, so you won't be useless because of the split. You could easily put 1 single target, 1 aoe, 1 utility, 2 heal spells + ult on a bar and be good to go for pretty much any encounter.

You can also mix'n'match skills that are from the guild schools, ww/vamp, and pvp trees.

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member Uncommon
    What about a daedric summoner bow user? Does that work?
  • delete5230delete5230 Posts: 3,016Member Uncommon

Let me put it this way,

I'm playing a nightblade.  Most of my class abilities use magika.  A few levels in I took dual welding and the first ability in dual welding and equipped two swards.  A few levels higher, I used a bow every so often instead to build the bow ability. Now even since My class abilities use Magika, I'm building my stamina more so than magika, because I would like to use swards and bows more than my class abilities. A few points went into magika JUST to have my class abilities light up when I do run out of stamina.

At level 15 your able to equip two weapons and switch between both along with having 5 new slots for more abilities.  Since I built up my bow, I opened up more bow abilities and now I have two types of weapons that I could swap botween weapons and abilities.......I could do tons of damage with this dual weld, bow and some magic build. 

Now that I'm much higher in level, and having many skill points, I preparing to put points into heavy armor along with one handed and shields, all on one character.......So in a pinch I'll be able to tank but only if needed. 

Nothing is stopping you from going off your class.....What's cool is that you could do something like being a sorcer just for a pet, but be a full heavy armor Tank all the way......Understand, this is only an example.

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,825Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Raserei
    What about a daedric summoner bow user? Does that work?

Templars using bows and Sorcerers doing it are very common.

But I wouldn't focus on summoning as a sorcerer: most of the pets are underwhelming with the exception of the ultimate, the Storm Attronach which is one f the better ultimates for any class.

The Sorcerer's Lightning abilities are much more useful all around.

In the early levels you'll be fine spreading points around into magicka and stamina. By the time a strong specialization in either magicka or stamina becomes more useful/necessary, you'll have a good grasp of what you want to do.

There are re-spec shrines in the capital city for each faction which you'll see in your 2nd zone ~ level 17 or so. You probably won't want to re-spec until much later than that... in your 40s or at 50. Until then just experiment.

If you want to read up on what others are doing or have done, take a look at the Tamriel Foundry theorycrafting forums for some ideas:

I wear light armor as a sorcerer and dual wield swords. Anything is possible! :) I do this quite effectively and use resto staff for my second weapon and heal dungeons well enough.

• RasereiRaserei webster, MAPosts: 1,011Member Uncommon
    But do "fun" builds get raped in PvP?
    That I couldn't say. But I'd imagine surprises can't hurt in pvp.

Oh wait what? That clothie can fight up close? OOPS!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLPosts: 4,629Member Uncommon

My main is a Tebow (Bow wielding Templar)

I went woodelf for the crit/stealth bonuses and have 2 heals (+heal ulti), 2 bow and 1 spear (knockback) ability on my bar. Sometimes I swap for 2 Bow, 2 spear and 1 heal (instant cast)

The guy kicks serious ass in PvP and rolls PvE.  The ability to instantly selfheal in PvP is just amazing.  Not just yourself but your allies...  I have yet to lose a 1-1 and almost always win 2-1s.  I have also  been the only healer for all my dungeon runs.

In short.. it likely needs a nerf but that wont happen soon as all the attention is focused on vampires :-)

PS: medium armor base

I also have over 55 free skillpoints... so I'm thinking of putting some into sword and board and trying a Templar Tank Healer.  Able to hold agro and self heal...  (make sure you max mana regen)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)