Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are you over 60 years old and still play?

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by summitus
    Originally posted by bschittone

I'm 45 and still gaming, It's actually gotten a lot easier to game now a days since the Kids have all grown up and moved out :)

I wish they would stop making everything console orientated ,  not sure I'll ever change from mouse/keyboard..

Great to hear there is still a good community of veteran gamers out there, If only there was a page for veteran (old guys and gals) that listed specific games and those guilds where a veteran player could go enjoy himself without the daily Kids chat.

I think I read somewhere today that PC Gaming has still  outsold even the latest consoles , PS4 and Xbox One , :)

I'm not in you'r guys age group, but just wanted to hop in and say that the sale of PCs are steadily going up. 

The surveys that report otherwise are mainly the big companies like DELL/HP that sell only full PCs and not parts. 

Don't think you have to fear just yet. 

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by bschittone

Sounds like maybe we could make a group in Steam to keep in touch, I am guessing many of us have way to many games already in Steam :)

I am like a kid on Christmas everytime they have a major Steam sale.

If you do create such a group...shoot me an invite at ...STEAM I.D : Greyhawk4x4 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I'm 41 and will nevah stop gaming! Seriously I've infected my two kids with the gamer bug and have a huge collection of games to pass along to my grandkids. This lineage will be gaming for a long, long time.image

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4
    Originally posted by ikcin
    I have strange feeling that thread will become very popular here :)

Lets hope so , otherwise us old gits may be small in number indeed ! :)

I know that for some of us older folks, there is a fear of being stigmatized as people who should have "outgrown" gaming. 

I have a brother-in-law that says I am too old to spend time gaming and that I should spend my time on stuff that "matters". This is coming from a guy who spends 1000's of dollars and countless hours working on his antique cars.  I asked him what the difference is between his hobby and mine and his response was, "cars are for adults, games are for kids".

To each their own I guess. 

I will be gaming until the day I die.

You could take an old computer and drop it on his old car. Crying is also something kids do :)

• eyesadieyesadi Member UncommonPosts: 56

66, retired and game 40+ hours a week........

A/A was just downloaded......

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4
    Originally posted by ikcin
    I have strange feeling that thread will become very popular here :)

Lets hope so , otherwise us old gits may be small in number indeed ! :)

I know that for some of us older folks, there is a fear of being stigmatized as people who should have "outgrown" gaming. 

I have a brother-in-law that says I am too old to spend time gaming and that I should spend my time on stuff that "matters". This is coming from a guy who spends 1000's of dollars and countless hours working on his antique cars.  I asked him what the difference is between his hobby and mine and his response was, "cars are for adults, games are for kids".

To each their own I guess. 

I will be gaming until the day I die.

You could take an old computer and drop it on his old car. Crying is also something kids do :)

OK, here we go...I made a group on Steam for us old fogies ...

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VintageGamersLeague#

Enjoy!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Just turned 51 last March. I can only hope I still love video games in a decade. If not the new ones, I have a whole slew of old games I still play, often :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Just turned 56 a week ago. Sometimes i feel guilty for still loving games. But i can't let it get to me.

Never ever feel guilty , its our generation that invented Video games ,  Not the Angry Birds Generation ! :)  :p

Amen. 47 here and I still play video games. MMOs the majority of the time. Interested in seeing what Destiny is going to be like. I'm also a low level founder for Shroud of the Avatar (Ultima III: Exodus was my first true videogame rpg) and hoping that turns into a great game though I may need a new PC by then. lol.  No PnP for a while but I still read up on what's going on with new and old tabletop rpgs.

I will not change just because societal age expectations deem it an unworthy pursuit and I will not stop playing video games  until I fail that saving throw vs. death.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I'm 56 and still enjoy gaming.  I currently play Skyrim and pop in occasionally to LotRO and TSW,  Aside from those, I currently have Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblvion, Tropico 3 and 4, Total War: Rome II,  Democracy 3, Hearts of Iron 3,  and an assortment of FTP MMOs on my rig.  I also have about 50 or so games on disks that I haven't played in awhile.  This is my hobby and I see no reason to change it because of age.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Will be 60 this summer. Still working out and gaming. Helps keep my reaction time fast.
  • Nzscorpion80Nzscorpion80 Member UncommonPosts: 54

I think the average gamer age is 31 or 32 in the Usa, so its not just for young people, im 32, work 50-60 hours a week, play rugby & train boxing, do all the same stuff even have time for computer games as I make time. Cant ever see age being a problem, just cause people get older dont mean they shouldnt enjoy games any less.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

wow .. i am 47 and i feel like a little kid in this group (which is not a bad feeling, btw).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, can't say I'm over 60. Just turned 47 and I still buy and enjoy video games. Can't say I'm super thrilled with mmo's at the moment (though there are some decent games out on the horizon as far as "what I'm looking for" but I will probably play them for as long as my hands allow.

Most of the people in my life don't play video games but they are all pretty understanding of my hobby.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

54 and still going strong !

Retirement can't come soon enough, all that free time for gaming... sigh...

• sword4hiresword4hire Member Posts: 22
    Almost 42 here and Started playing PnP D&D when I was 12 transitioned into MMO's when I was 20 don't feel like my gaming really got serious till I bought a PC. (my folks didn't have one in the house) But I've been going strong ever since I don't really foresee a time where I wont play some kind of video game or another. Its nice to see older gamers are still out there and apparently in no small numbers!
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Pong, Atari 2600, Atari 800,  to UO, EQ, SWG, Wow and many  more. I'm 51 and see no end to my gaming. :)
  • SilkravenSilkraven Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I'm so loving all the replies. I have been gaming in one form or another for many years. I'm retired now and spend a lot of free time online gaming. for all you younger folks, remember you will be basically the same person and have the same interests for years to come. I'm 67.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     ill be 50 in July , and started playing games online , thru Quantum-Link on my Commodore 64 in 1983 , been gaming since and lovin all of it .. Keeps me outa trouble also i might add..   :)
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    "Quantum-Link on my Commodore 64 in 1983"
    ^this!! It was such a magical moment; and a huge phone bill that made my parents cut me off. T'was awesome though...
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    41 Here ;D!
  • ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

I am 57 will be 58 in a few months.

I have carpal tunnel, and a few of the tissis (arthritis, bursitis) but I am still an avid gamer :)

I mostly play Single player games due to the fact the current batch of MMOs don't really appeal to me.

If I buy an MMO I usually wait 6 months to a year after release then purchase.

• vonoddzvonoddz Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I am very surprised by this thread. I didn't think there was that many old gamers on this forum.  I remember seeing Pong for the first time and I  have been hooked ever since. 51 years old. 

Originally posted by Scorchien
     ill be 50 in July , and started playing games online , thru Quantum-Link on my Commodore 64 in 1983 , been gaming since and lovin all of it .. Keeps me outa trouble also i might add..   :)

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    "Quantum-Link on my Commodore 64 in 1983"
    ^this!! It was such a magical moment; and a huge phone bill that made my parents cut me off. T'was awesome though...

Don't forget about the GEOS operating system for the C-64!!

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

Only 42 here but I suspect I will be gaming long into my twilight years.  I enjoy it so much and never let anyone tell me I am too old to game.

If gaming makes us happy then who is to take that away no one.