Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry

MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
About the current state of affairs in MMOs (other things too). What could they have been.......? Who hasn't thought sadly about this question?

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah a lot of us are bored with all the themepark clones since wow was released.. dont worry things are changing.. :)

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

I am definitely bored of mmo's currently. Not angry though. Probably a combination of reasons that really don't matter and would be nothing but boring post # 123981023498432689327410981237328471290723419832147895r983246124908123 if I tried to hammer them out.  Hopefully something comes along and grabs me again. I do enjoy gaming. It could also just be time for me to find another hobby.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Hulluck

I am definitely bored of mmo's currently. Not angry though. Probably a combination of reasons that really don't matter and would be nothing but boring post # 123981023498432689327410981237328471290723419832147895r983246124908123 if I tried to hammer them out.  Hopefully something comes along and grabs me again. I do enjoy gaming. It could also just be time for me to find another hobby.

When you find another hobby make %100 sure that it can't harm you.

Originally posted by Magiknight
    Originally posted by Hulluck

When you find another hobby make %100 sure that it can't harm you.

I'm past those years for the most part. Been having a real urge  wanting to raise a foal.  I grew up around horses.  Might try and find a local farm around here which has horses and in exchange for doing whatever work that they need done for them to train, teach, help me in that goal. Would likely take up most of my free time for years to come. Would be more productive and healthier than sitting for hours on end playing a mmo in my free time.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    About the current state of affairs in MMOs (other things too). What could they have been.......? Who hasn't thought sadly about this question?

I'd like to hear what you thought they could have been.

Originally posted by jesad

In a word, worlds. I probably wouldn't be as interested in another world if I wasn't so pissed at this one.

There could be places to explore, instead of just going from point A to point B. Grinding would grant people the opportunity to bond and form cliques. Now we have grinds that involve smashing buttons over and over and going from point A to B ad infinitum. Stories could be good.... No instances so that people aren't transported to a small group game for 50% of their MMO experience. Getting to end game should take a LOT longer so that people are invested in their character.

It's too painful to talk about

In a word, worlds. I probably wouldn't be as interested in another world if I wasn't so pissed at this one.

There could be places to explore, instead of just going from point A to point B. Grinding would grant people the opportunity to bond and form cliques. Now we have grinds that involve smashing buttons over and over and going from point A to B ad infinitum. Stories could be good.... No instances so that people aren't transported to a small group game for 50% of their MMO experience. Getting to end game should take a LOT longer so that people are invested in their character.

I think to some extent there's a very valid point here. There was a really good and long thread talking about just this not to long ago. I think mmo's lost something when they focused more on convenience than other things.  Often community, socializing, has gotten me to stay subbed or playing longer than anything else.  Something like Rift and it's dungeon tool.  The process is so automated and mechanical even when the group is inside the instance. Most people in these groups don't want to be bothered with anything but rushing through content. I can understand the reasons why people get like that as well.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Constantly.

I'm so sick of the modern MMORPG formula for fail.  I lament the fact that corporate whoredom pushed devs and designers towards wider appeal and casual appeal and ruined one of the best (niche) gaming genres ever.

I dream of a day when some dev creates an MMORPG more like the classics and old school designs - since there never was anything wrong with them (and some continue to day WITH subs).  A modern take, hell, even a blend of old and new (as long as it was group-heavy and challenge-heavy) would be welcome vs all the solo idiot mode not so MMORPG crap that comes out repeatedly.

I was kind of hoping The Brad would get his project rolling even if he is insane and the lore side of his new game sounds really dumb.  He does at least make classic style MMORPGs.  Of course, when he was going for under 1m via kickstarter it didn't seem like the greatest idea because I think what we want is a MODERN game with an old school vibe, not a game so backwards and low tech that we may as well just go back to the actual classics themselves.

I've bought WildStar but it has too much solo idiot content, and as such, will be full of low quality fools who should be playing single player games..  Supposedly it gets harder and unforgiving eventually (and will drive them away).  But the lamer part of it is that the CREDD thing IS facilitated cheating (gold for cash) and it's hard to take any game seriously that has cheating built right into it.  So WildStar, as with all the other WoW cloned failures, isn't the answer.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

There are already games like that.

Maybe not as many as you want, but they exist.

The problem is not many people are playing them, because things like grinding don't appeal to most players anymore.

- Also, if you are looking for a game without instances, you can pretty much forget about games like look current. That tech is used so often because it needs to be. When you have a game with 100s of people in the same area you need to split them up in some way to keep it stable.

Most games do this by either having a ton of servers, or instancing.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    You sound imbalanced. Try catching a breath, drinking water slowly and calming down. If that doesn't help, try proper breathing techniques. Trust me they work 110%.

After that, think what is it that got you so riled up. Think if you can fix it. If you can't even influence it, let alone fix it, forget about it ASAP. Get in the control of yourself and don't let your precious energy seep like this. Control is good and as sweet as the sweetest of nectars.

After that and only after that will we talk about MMOs. There are things and there are things, eh?

That was awesome..............HAHA!

No, seriously OP, it seems like you are describing a couple of titles that have already existed.  Quite a few actually, but I mean, what is a good story?  That's completely the opinion of the individual.  I completely loved the story of the Erudites and the Ethernaughts in Everquest 2.  Heck, several of the stories in several of those expansions were just awesome.  Meanwhile other people, people who probably didn't even take the time to really read what was going on, had different opinions.

More importantly though it seems that the problems that you are having are coming from what I call "trouble with the masses".

See, there are two consistencies working in tandem between both your real world and your fantasy world.  Those consistencies are that as you grow and become more of an individual your worlds, and the people in them, also grow and become more individual, and in the midst of all of this individuality it becomes difficult to find persons or settings that conform to your specific individual choices on how to be.

The simple solution to this is to either adjust yourself so that you fit more properly into the mass.  Go out and get a football jersey or a baseball hat, take up having strong opinions about things like race, religion, or politics (you really don't have to know what you're talking about, you just have to have an opinion) and voice those opinions as often as you can in as many places as you can until you draw enough attention to yourself to attract other fantics of the same type, or settle down, shut your mouth, keep your head to the grindstone and your nose clean and look down on all of those other people (coincidentally this can also be done while wearing a football jersey or a baseball hat) until you find yourself in a community association meeting talking to people who, like yourself, look down on other people who are not just like them, or, in the case of an MMORPG, go on out there and find the best build for XYand Z and powerlevel to endgame and join the wave of people that help keep this genre and its many titles afloat.

You can do any and all of those things and become a part of the pack, gain accolades, make friends, and live a happy life.

And trust me bro, you have no idea how many of the people there are that do those things I listed above who are not even CLOSE to as into those things as they pretend to be.  Many of them, just like you will be if you choose to go that route, are just following along so that they have something to talk to each other about Monday morning at work/school.

Or......

You can just be patient.  Do you.  And wait for someone that understands you to finally come along.  Which might happen and might not depending on how sick and twisted a little puppy you really are.

No matter which thing you choose though, your anger is mis-placed if you are angry at the games and not yourself and your own choices.

The Dali Lama says...."Happiness is not something ready made.  It comes from your own actions."

Abraham Lincoln says...."Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

So my advice to you, if you are not happy with the way things are going in this genre of games, is to start playing a different genre of games and check back on this bad boy later.

There's always still Pen and Paper, LARP, acting, and writing.

Epicietus says...."There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

The translation to that is "If you don't make games and you don't make people then you may as well quit yer bitchen cause it ain't gonna change anything."

You sound imbalanced. Try catching a breath, drinking water slowly and calming down. If that doesn't help, try proper breathing techniques. Trust me they work 110%.

After that, think what is it that got you so riled up. Think if you can fix it. If you can't even influence it, let alone fix it, forget about it ASAP. Get in the control of yourself and don't let your precious energy seep like this. Control is good and as sweet as the sweetest of nectars.

After that and only after that will we talk about MMOs. There are things and there are things, eh?

No, seriously OP, it seems like you are describing a couple of titles that have already existed.  Quite a few actually, but I mean, what is a good story?  That's completely the opinion of the individual.  I completely loved the story of the Erudites and the Ethernaughts in Everquest 2.  Heck, several of the stories in several of those expansions were just awesome.  Meanwhile other people, people who probably didn't even take the time to really read what was going on, had different opinions.

More importantly though it seems that the problems that you are having are coming from what I call "trouble with the masses".

See, there are two consistencies working in tandem between both your real world and your fantasy world.  Those consistencies are that as you grow and become more of an individual your worlds, and the people in them, also grow and become more individual, and in the midst of all of this individuality it becomes difficult to find persons or settings that conform to your specific individual choices on how to be.

The simple solution to this is to either adjust yourself so that you fit more properly into the mass.  Go out and get a football jersey or a baseball hat, take up having strong opinions about things like race, religion, or politics (you really don't have to know what you're talking about, you just have to have an opinion) and voice those opinions as often as you can in as many places as you can until you draw enough attention to yourself to attract other fantics of the same type, or settle down, shut your mouth, keep your head to the grindstone and your nose clean and look down on all of those other people (coincidentally this can also be done while wearing a football jersey or a baseball hat) until you find yourself in a community association meeting talking to people who, like yourself, look down on other people who are not just like them, or, in the case of an MMORPG, go on out there and find the best build for XYand Z and powerlevel to endgame and join the wave of people that help keep this genre and its many titles afloat.

You can do any and all of those things and become a part of the pack, gain accolades, make friends, and live a happy life.

And trust me bro, you have no idea how many of the people there are that do those things I listed above who are not even CLOSE to as into those things as they pretend to be.  Many of them, just like you will be if you choose to go that route, are just following along so that they have something to talk to each other about Monday morning at work/school.

Or......

You can just be patient.  Do you.  And wait for someone that understands you to finally come along.  Which might happen and might not depending on how sick and twisted a little puppy you really are.

No matter which thing you choose though, your anger is mis-placed if you are angry at the games and not yourself and your own choices.

The Dali Lama says...."Happiness is not something ready made.  It comes from your own actions."

Abraham Lincoln says...."Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

So my advice to you, if you are not happy with the way things are going in this genre of games, is to start playing a different genre of games and check back on this bad boy later.

Epicietus says...."There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

The translation to that is "If you don't make games and you don't make people then you may as well quit yer bitchen cause it ain't gonna change anything."

I have no idea what you're talking about

Or......

Well there ya go :)

That was comedy gold right there :)

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53

Or......

Therein lies the problem. =)

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

I'm a lumber jack and I'm okay.  

Everyone is tired of mmorpg's.  Every one thinks they could make one better than the dev(s).  Only Jeb & Notch saw the reality of it.  The devs didn't really do that bad a job.  It's human to consume information and be ready for the next level.  Technology is not ready for the next level.  No one did anything wrong.  They DID give you a world to play in.  It's just you were to quick for them and ate it all up in a night or two.  It's hard work to put together a piece of art that moves and has dynamics you are interested in.  

We are also dealing with an attitude here.  I see the desire for more exploration of unknown worlds but under it is repeated, "I can't make friends!"  It simply isn't easy to make friends.  The devs did not come up with that or influence it in any way.  Modern mmo or old school.  Friendship and the making thereof is far more complex than just stuff me in a box with others and have us do something repetitious and boring so we'll chat.  I don't know about the rest of you but that does not give me warm fluffy feelings toward my fellow man.  

I played those old mmo's (I'm ancient) and that was not how I got friends.  Friendships for me came mostly out of innocence and lack of knowing other people don't think like me.  I assumed if they played a game with elves in it and choose to be an elf they respected my druid beliefs.  I was stupid back then but being naive got me friends easier.  Then I learned everyone is a troll not an elf so you get used to saying, "bugger off."  I will not befriend you if we play an mmo together.  I will be polite.  Nothing you did wrong I'm just sick and tired of the way people think.  The devs did not make me into that.  That's my own failings.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I'm not angry, just disappointed.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

me?

MMOs are now better (for me) games.

Now i can solo, and don't have to depend on others to have fun in them.

And oh .. they are almost all free.

I am not sad ... now MMOs are somewhat interesting.