Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those that are Alpha testing, what is the One feature of this game that really hits a home run?

Comments

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Everything concerning sandbox. Trading,farming,housing etc.
  • WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70

Im not in Alpha, but i do play on russian servers still, for me. its the whole crafting/gathering experience. Ive played A LOT of mmos through out my years and Archeage is the only one where i wake up and cant wait to get on so i can craft and gather the things i need for my next piece.

I`m so excited for NA launch to come. This is the first mmo, where ive gotten fully immersed into the world and character that i just walked around farming/gathering/fishing. look up and realize its been 8 hours and only killed 5 mobs the whole day

(Level 35 at the moment)

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

The first 10 seconds of the character select music ;)

Hehe, ok, maybe not the best part - but I love it.

Anyway, it's almost impossible to pick just one feature with the massive feature-set. I love the class system and its potential, I love the glider, I love the open world housing, I love the crafting, I love the seamless nature of the world, I love the boats and ships, I love the meaningful PvP, and so on.

If I HAD to pick a single feature..... Maybe the freeform underwater exploration. I've wanted that in my RPG for as long as I can remember, and this is the first game that seems to actually provide it in a meaningful way.

That said, I haven't had a chance to experience much of that - so I don't know if it's a feature suited for long-term enjoyment. But the idea of it certainly tickles my fancy in a big way.

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

AA has a living breathing world! Haven't felt that way about any MMORPG in recent memory.

Simply beautiful world with so much fun and immersive things to do

• 77777777 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Boats is the easy answer.

Most definitely.  Even the dinky starter rowboat feels great, with its functional lantern and passenger seat.

Died to a giant jellyfish at sea in my rowboat today.  Returned as a passenger on an over-sized pirate-style ship to retrieve my lost cargo.

Just hope you don't disconnect at sea.  Log back on to find yourself stranded in the ocean with the ship sailing away.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

The fact that Im getting so many different replies with completely different aspects of the game speaks volumes. You really dont see that often. Age of Wushu is the only thing that comes to mind but even that doesnt seem as deep as ArcheAge

thanks for all the replies.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

The fact that Im getting so many different replies with completely different aspects of the game speaks volumes. You really dont see that often. Age of Wushu is the only thing that comes to mind but even that doesnt seem as deep as ArcheAge

thanks for all the replies.

Nice to read a nice positive thread on here for a change .. practically a Troll free Zone ! :)

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    AA is best MMO so far
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by DKLond

Anyway, it's almost impossible to pick just one feature with the massive feature-set. I love the class system and its potential, I love the glider, I love the open world housing, I love the crafting, I love the seamless nature of the world, I love the boats and ships, I love the meaningful PvP, and so on.

If I HAD to pick a single feature..... Maybe the freeform underwater exploration. I've wanted that in my RPG for as long as I can remember, and this is the first game that seems to actually provide it in a meaningful way.

That said, I haven't had a chance to experience much of that - so I don't know if it's a feature suited for long-term enjoyment. But the idea of it certainly tickles my fancy in a big way.

Underwater exploration?  I find this exciting.  I absolutely love how GW2 does underwater.  Are there races that live under the water?   Are you exploring sunken wrecks?  Finding treasure?   Is there questing underwater?   I didn't even know about this aspect of AA until you mentioned it.

• ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by DKLond

Underwater exploration?  I find this exciting.  I absolutely love how GW2 does underwater.  Are there races that live under the water?   Are you exploring sunken wrecks?  Finding treasure?   Is there questing underwater?   I didn't even know about this aspect of AA until you mentioned it.

There are random underwater treasures, you also need crafting materials from underwater. So you need to gather nodes under water to craft as well. Underwater exploration, holy shit when you run up the hill you xcan see massive ocean water.

yea underwater exploration is going to be as massive as on lane exploration. i think you can build a submarine as well.

Random treasure chests spawns randomly that covers HUUUUGE ocean. underwater. Haha, you can see players runninf from 1 miles ahead of you when your on a small hill, NO LOADING between zones all seamless. It feels goooood.

runnign between point A to point B runnign like 4 miles and feel no loading zones, yea it feels sooo good. 

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    So I'm on the ocean playing with my dingy, umm I mean rowboat just going in circles near the docks to learn the controls of the boat. The boat had good movement, it feels like your on a boat on real water. So I went afk to do something's around the house for about 15mins. I come back and there I am afar ways out in the ocean. Wtf ? The current brought me out to sea, the current... Really ? Just awesome. And that's when I looked at the coast from where I drifted to. Just beautiful, big town on top of the hill with the dock below. It was like nothing had to be rendered, it was all just there to see. Needless to say I'm very impressed with AA so far. So feature wise I would have to say the "alive" feature. 
  • WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

Everything is open - everything is smooth and developed. The voice overs are still in Korean but you know what? That's exotic and actually cool - lots of people hoping that stays... with English subs :) Everything feels like it belongs... no bolt on PVP.. you go into a warzone, you'll probably run into people who want to kill you... you want to build  a house? Buy the blueprints and get the wood and stone and build it. OK... ok... one thing... the game is SMART

Sylentz 

covers the sky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Just started playing last evening, and have made it down only short distance on the initial starting path.

Climbing trees.  The tutorial has you climb one, and was great.  So now I am running up to all large trees seeing if they can be climbed just so I can get a higher vantage point.  (not too many so far)

Imagine the possibilities in PVP, you can hide in a tree to avoid gankers, or hide in a tree to drop down on someone to kill them

Awesome, seriously.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    AA is best MMO so far

I have been around since Lineage 2

Aion, Tera, Rift, LotRO, TSW, DnD, ESO [BAD GAME], GW, GW2, FFXIV... 

so far, this is the tightest, most integrated... the pieces hang together in a REAL WAY... next closest is LotRO but F2P wrecked the community there...

Whyspre

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Crusades
    It actually has real open world pvp

hf being ganked :)

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I have to say this thread is really tempting me.

Why did this game not do so well in Korea and Russia? Is there something Trion is doing differently? Or is this more attractive to the NA/EU market for some reason?

Seriously, I've got my Trion Worlds account page open right now and I'm thinking about getting this.

I have to say I'm getting tired of buggy, instanced, bot-ridden games.

How do we know the value of our in-game credits when this game launches?

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by d_20

Why did this game not do so well in Korea and Russia? Is there something Trion is doing differently? Or is this more attractive to the NA/EU market for some reason?

Seriously, I've got my Trion Worlds account page open right now and I'm thinking about getting this.

It's all about if it's worth it to you. Will be ftp when it launches, and progress will be wiped for launch . But if you wanna get a feel for it and150 ain't gonna disrupt RL then go for it. I personally don't think you will regret it, but that's just my opinion.

• RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25
    The first time I ran off the highest cliff I could find and hit my glider button - I was hooked. The way the game made me feel flying so high in the air - quietly......I could see for miles and miles. I could see the distant mountains, and I could see all the Orcs like little ants below me. I could see people raising crops with their scarecrows.  I was seeing a real living world and I was part of it. And I was flying!
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by d_20

Nobody knows the long term appeal of AA to the NA/EU market.  remember its just a very small amount of people in Alpha.  Once people get far into the game their opinion may or may not change.  there have been games where people loved initially but the love wore off fast, with Rift being the obvious example.  650k first month users, tons of gushing praise, under 200k 9 months later despite another 400k+ box sales.  but mostly the people playing the alpha are the game it appeals most too so the feedback will mostly be positive.

I find it unlikely the game is a huge success, but it most likely will be the most successful Korean game in NA.  I know thats not saying much, but i could see it getting 100-150k subs (and with land ownership tied to subs it should be considered a sub game, but one with no box cost).  

And you dont know the value of the in game credits.  The wise thing to do would be to ignore any features of the package, because you have no way of knowing if you will use them.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    This sounds interesting though I cannot stand open world pvp (Playing on my lap with girlfriend nearby + unstable surfaces + cats = rage issues). I know it's been answered before, but can I avoid pvp and still manage to level without impacting my play? Can I level to cap without being near any pvp?
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Digna

The sheer complexity of crafting. Get a garden (farm) to raise geese, need to feed the geese so raise beans. Some get sick have make medicine. Whoops cant make that until you have a farmer's workbench. Once you have that you need to grow 3 other types of materials.

And boats.....

I want to try the game out fo sho... but that really sounds like a giant pain in the ass. You see... I don't REALLY want to raise geese or be a REAL farmer. I just want to simulate in in the game to make stuffs. I tend to appreciate crafting like ESO or even Eq2 for that matter. I don't have 14 hours a day to ensure those geese don't fucking die. 

• 77777777 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Havekk

I want to try the game out fo sho... but that really sounds like a giant pain in the ass. You see... I don't REALLY want to raise geese or be a REAL farmer. I just want to simulate in in the game to make stuffs. I tend to appreciate crafting like ESO or even Eq2 for that matter. I don't have 14 hours a day to ensure those geese don't fucking die. 

That's where the MMO part comes in to your benefit.  If you don't want to worry about the maintenance of livestock, you can settle for growing plants and trees.  They require little-to-no care, and you can sell and trade your farmed goods for the livestock products of others.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Not nearly far enough into the game yet to make any real assessment of any part of it... I can tell you that I saw enough that it prompted me to drop the money on it, and so far I do not regret it. This is one of the first alpha/beta stage games in a long time where I have felt the urge to keep playing and exploring the game and mechanics even though I am going to lose all my progress when they wipe. I really want to learn the game and get in at the ground floor...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

The world, the world and the world. I can't say it enough. It is like Vanguard but better looking (imho) and much more interactive. Be gone filthy loading screens, be gone phasing this, phasing that, be gone static world, this one feels alive.

all I have been looking for is a virtual world to call home for a LONG time and AA delivers in spades. There are many systems in place all ranging from average to awesome but its the world that ties it all together and does so beautifully, this is the first game in like forever that I can properly call home, that is all the reason I need to play this.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I got invited to Alpha (which was a surprise) and have played about 20 mins. I am struggling with the Asian-ness of it all - the graphics, the sounds, the cutesy mobs. I am trying to shake the feeling that it just feels "old" with tab-targetting, hotbar cooldowns, question/exclamation marks for quests...

I would love to get past that and see what others see that leads them to fall in love with AA. But I'm not there yet.