Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gold spammers somehow got my email

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
I just got an email titled "ESO community" which advertised their wares. I know it wasn't ESO community but what I don't know is how they got my email, the only websites that know I am playing ESO is this one, massively and ESO/Bethesda. In game gold spam seems to have calmed a bit but this isn't a good sign. I havent gotten any emails like this in a long time.  

Comments

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142

They didn't got your mail. They are using a exploit in the forums and sending all users pm's. That mail actually tells you that you have a pm and shows it.

It seems not only the game but their website itself is open to exploits.

But, you know, ESO is the future of mmo's and it is a step in the right direction.

The question is, will you continue to give your cc and personal details to a company that allows goldsellers send you pm's. I mean, yes, it is the future of mmo's but not a very bright future it seems.

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    If you visit the forum they have already locked the PM option as they look into this issue.  They are actually pretty quick on these issues.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Also in ESO if you have someone in game name and friend or ignore them you get their account name and then google their account name and get info that way. Someone posted a while back this problem. Not sure if thats fixed or real. If I was playing the game I would test this myself lol
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They do this in every game, I have yet to figure out how they got my guild wars email, or my Lineage 2 email, or my WoW email, or GW2, I can never figure it out. I just stopped following links in email in general because of that.
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Wait until some yahoo at Zenimax bans you for buying gold because you got that email.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• RosenthorneRosenthorne Member UncommonPosts: 94

I have never played WOW and I get fake emails from them all the time!

Nature of the modern beast I s'pose. Just remember and repeat after me:

NEVER CLICK A LINK IN AN EMAIL AND ENTER YOUR DETAILS

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Wait until some yahoo at Zenimax bans you for buying gold because you got that email.

You again! I thought we banned you already!

/Reported!

(Sorry, couldn't resist :P )

But yeah, it could be the PM feature being exploited and it could also be the random new game gold spam they tend to email everyone and their brother with.

I will never forget the day my girlfriends grandmother called asking "What is a World or Warcraft and why do they want to sell me 1 thousand gold for $10?!"

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Yeah, I got one too. It is kind of annoying. Then I chuckled over the ineptitude. I am not a subscriber and haven't played since beta.
  • AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Yeah, me too.  

I'm pretty tolerant and use the /ignore command judiciously in most games.

But this is the first time I've experienced gold spam in so many different ways.  

I have a junk e-mail account I use for online stuff.  If you haven't set one up for yourselves, I highly suggest it.  Makes situations like this less annoying.