Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think the economy is officially broken now.

Comments

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I'm in 3 trading guilds. And 2 of them are on the 500 member cap. I have not seen any flooding with legendary items or deflation due to gold sellers/duping.

In fact someone mailed me, that they sell legendary crafting materials for 5$ A PIECE (!) I dont think you could say this is broken^^

What I really want to know is, why do you start such a suggestive thread, if you clearly dont have a clue what is going on in the game?

Hodor!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by johnangel

Whenever I hear the word eso's economy I laugh. It's an oxymoron.

Eso does not have an economy.Your guild has one.Eso does not have one.Get it ?

Oh yeah? what about all the people who prefer selling their stuff in zone chat? those prices are not dictated by guild store prices.

So yes there is economy outside of guild stores.

Stuff hardly sells in guild stores because of saturation of similar products. And you have to cut prices so much that you hardly make any profit and on top of that high guild fee to post items on  stores makes me stay away from it.

I only and only sell my stuff through zone chat and i am not the only who is realised that Guild Stores are utterly useless.

I wonder if you guys even play the game or what.

+1 !!!!

Do I hate that there isn't an Auction House? Yeah, sometimes. To say it doesn't have an economy is waaaay out there though. I've been selling stacks of raw mats quite easily using Zone Chat. The only problem is that Zone Chat usually only publicizes big ticket items. You never see someone saying "WTS Stack of health pots!" which actually creates a problem because if you're looking for things like Enchanting Runes or something, it's just really difficult to find them. 

I've heard that there are some trading guilds with really active stores, but my guilds store is basically just window dressing. We've got more stashed in our guild bank than in the store. I actually use guild store space as a 30-day temporary bank slot, lol. I've sure if I wanted to be more active in trading, though, I could find a guild that is much more active. Easily.

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet if someone were to start spamming WTB Stack of health pots, people who have them to sell, will.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

this si sooo simple to solve...

just double to coin ya get form the quests and up vendor prices 25%

this gives players more then enough , also increase tings like bank slots and horses so they still take time

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

There is no evidence that the economy in ESO is broken in any way. If anything it's showing the market trends you'd expect to see in any recently released MMO. For example...

The first couple of weeks the normal Racial Motifs for crafting were selling ~ 1,000 G. As people leveled and more hit the market they became closer to 500 G.

The same with the rare mptifs (Barbaric, Primal, Daedric, etc.) which are rare drops in the VR zones. Barbaric started selling around 30K and is now down to the 10-15K range.

This downward trend in prices of highly sought after items shows the normal trend you'd expect to see when the goods become more plentiful.

If the bots, gold sellers and dupers had an impact you'd see those items going up in price and that is just not happening.

All these "officially broken" threads are just idle speculation with no base in reality.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    The gold sellers must of took full advantage of all zenimax's bugs. When I started they were only selling 1k, then like a week later 10k, now its up to 100k. So, yeah if even 1000 people out of the player base buy 100k-1millon gold. That would be the end of any kind of real economy.  

I don't understand how this affects the economy. It's not a centralized economy (via AH, thank goodness) so it's a collection of micro economies from a guild to guild basis.

Basically, gold sellers have as little affect in this game as possible due to an economy based on the per guild basis. No one thing can break the economy when it's not centralized, and that's a good thing.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

So, in summary so far:

OP says Economy is broken, probably due to duping.

And all responses to defend ESO have been:

1. ESO doesn't need an economy

2. All MMOs have RMT

3. I can get by with what I have

All those responses are "smoke and mirrors"

No one has come back and argued the the economy is in good shape.

So you can buy blues and purple VR10 gear for between 1000 and 20,000 gold depending on the piece and rarity.  Given how long it takes to earn 20k at VR's in this game that seem's reasonable to me and is a clear sign there isn't any kind of out of real world inflation going on from cheap RMT gold flooding the market.

I expect gold inflation to happen as it happens in every game but it hasn't yet.

Frankly I hink 99% of these cheap gold messages especially the ones for 100k for $25 or something are scams to get your personal/account information.  

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Scot
    Gold sellers exist every time a MMO launches. If the OP's ideas were correct every MMO that has ever launched had its economy destroyed. Pure nonsense. Also the fact TESO has no Auction House limits the effect this can have.

Well, I have been playing eve now for a day and I havent seen one gold seller. I also havent seen the economy change all that much from when i left like 6 months ago. My megathron is till worth what i paid for it. So................. Uo economy is broken, and has been for a long long long long time, due to what your talking about.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Day 1 of early access they were trying to sell 10k.

THEY ARE NOT SELLING GOLD.  THEY ARE TRYING TO HACK YOUR ACCOUNT.

That is all.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    The gold sellers must of took full advantage of all zenimax's bugs. When I started they were only selling 1k, then like a week later 10k, now its up to 100k. So, yeah if even 1000 people out of the player base buy 100k-1millon gold. That would be the end of any kind of real economy.  

I don't understand how this affects the economy. It's not a centralized economy (via AH, thank goodness) so it's a collection of micro economies from a guild to guild basis.

Basically, gold sellers have as little affect in this game as possible due to an economy based on the per guild basis. No one thing can break the economy when it's not centralized, and that's a good thing.

So what your saying is, when i come back to this game, when I am bored here in like 6 months. My 100 iron ingots will still be worth 600-800 gold. lol, yeah im pretty sure when i come back, 600- 800 gold will be almost nothing. Those ingots will be worth 8000 or more. That of course is not taking into account that iron ingots are worthless after lvl 14, so.... Let me use the motiffs will my wood elf motiff still be worth 700 gold in 6 months.

So what your saying is, when i come back to this game, when I am bored here in like 6 months. My 100 iron ingots will still be worth 600-800 gold. lol, yeah im pretty sure when i come back, 600- 800 gold will be almost nothing. Those ingots will be worth 8000 or more. That of course is not taking into account that iron ingots are worthless after lvl 14, so.... Let me use the motiffs will my wood elf motiff still be worth 700 gold in 6 months.

That's normal inflation that happens in every game. You are literally complaining about the basis of what an economy is. This is ludicrous.

As more goods/money enters any game, the prices rise and fall based on demand and inflation. I just...I don't even know what to say to you.

Your wood elf motif is already worth nothing because of the frequency of which motifs drop, people are just easily fleeced of their money by wanting the design pattern now than waiting a few weeks for the number of books to outnumber the players making them effectively worthless.

And who gives a crap about EVE's economy in this thread? Name just one item for sale in ESO that has been impacted in any way by gold sales and buyers... go ahead, we'll wait.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by movros99

Not true at all.  Simply don't buy gold is the short answer.

The economy does not have to be ruined for you if you do not do business with people who buy gold.  Find a nice guild that supports honest play and the economy for your account will be just fine.

AN other reason it's not really true in ESO is because of the lack of an auction house. If no one in your guilds have gold or used the dupe exploit, then the economy for those guilds have not been ruined because no one will drive up prices in the guild trade house. If ESO had an auction house like most MMOs have, a lot of players would start to drive up prices and basically destroy the economy.

Unless you live in a bubble where you and your guild only trade with each other and no one else, then it's likely at least some of the currency you made trading was created using dupes or exploits.  Currency created by gold farmers, duping, and exploiting effects everyone, even if the effects aren't immediately noticeable by certain parties.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sad to see this mess but its not the end of things. FF14 had things really bad in the start with some farming problems that lead to some getting supper rich. SE took steps to balance things out and over the life of a MMO to much money can poof quickly and balance out as long as the devs start pointing the ship in the right direction quickly. Three weeks in is not to late. Some may have quit over this but the game still can be fixed. Im on the side lines waiting to see if they do.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Sad to see this mess but its not the end of things. FF14 had things really bad in the start with some farming problems that lead to some getting supper rich. SE took steps to balance things out and over the life of a MMO to much money can poof quickly and balance out as long as the devs start pointing the ship in the right direction quickly. Three weeks in is not to late. Some may have quit over this but the game still can be fixed. Im on the side lines waiting to see if they do.

Don't fall for this crap, Nan.

There is zero real economic impact at the moment. These economic doom and gloom threads have no substance. They are just predictions of what might happen in a game with the economy out of hand. The reality is that there's nothing in the game you can buy or sell that is showing even the slightest indication of being impacted.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

There is zero real economic impact at the moment. These economic doom and gloom threads have no substance. They are just predictions of what might happen in a game with the economy out of hand. The reality is that there's nothing in the game you can buy or sell that is showing even the slightest indication of being impacted.

QFT

/thread

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Iselin

I have seen some vids of the gold sellers and farming bots, and duped items where someone is selling 1000 of a really rare item. There is a problem but its no where near as big as they going on about. ZM can fix this I am sure. I am more interested in the steps they will take. FF14 did a mass ban on many players exploiting and many others had items and money removed from their accounts to balance things lol. I always love watching exploiters come crying on forums when their accounts are closed lol

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Let me get this straight.

Youre trying to tell us, that the economy is broken, because in a game which is 3 (!) weeks old the prices are falling as more people are leveling and increasing their we

And to prove a point, youre trying to compare it to a game that is nearly a decade old???

I dont think that i want to discuss this anymore....youre definitely trolling

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei1984

Youre trying to tell us, that the economy is broken, because in a game which is 3 (!) weeks old the prices are falling as more people are leveling and increasing their we

And to prove a point, youre trying to compare it to a game that is nearly a decade old???

Lol what ever, my bad your all right. Gold sellers, botters, dupers dont effect the game at all. They have no impact what so ever, and every one can just forget about them, because they dont affect any one. The only reason i brought eve up, is because they figured out how to keep a mmorpg economy going for years. I was hoping ESO had a economy that is the only reason I like to play these games.

I also dont have any faith they will fix it. The last time they tried to ban them, they banned a bunch of the wrong people, and just un banned every one.

I said the gold spammers went from 1k to 10k to now 100k. If you think all that gold isnt gonna effect anything your the one trolling people.

Lol what ever, my bad your all right. Gold sellers, botters, dupers dont effect the game at all. They have no impact what so ever, and every one can just forget about them, because they dont affect any one. The only reason i brought eve up, is because they figured out how to keep a mmorpg economy going for years. I was hoping ESO had a economy that is the only reason I like to play these games.

I also dont have any faith they will fix it. The last time they tried to ban them, they banned a bunch of the wrong people, and just un banned every one.

Correct, it will not affect economies on a guild by guild basis. People only trading in general chat may be affected, but the effect is negligible and easily solved by getting into a trading guild with a closed economy.

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by masterdtox
    Originally posted by Nebell
    Don't blame it on gold buyers. We are just like your rich neighbour. Lots of money and not enough time, so we take the shortcut. I think that I've bought about 400-500k gold. Most went into crafting and respecs.

Thank u for your post,  because this is a nice example why Goldseller's exist in MMO'S. Your Post says enough, it clarify's  the reason why players buy gold.

Players now-days are just to lazy to pick up some easy profession do quests to make / get gold. All needs to be easy and fast for those type of players. Where do they come from hmmm...what MMO especially?..hmmm.

PS: thanks for being honest about your doing, thumbs up.

Is it lazy that he would pay someone to mow his lawn each week so he could spend the day at the beach? He has the resources to eliminate boring aspects of his life so he can spend more time on what he enjoys. We get it, children, students and unemployed play games and have to grind shit out but don't try to turn things into some type of moral stance because you don't have the resources. If I could buy things thru the game to eliminate the things I find boring I would, let's face it they are just there to time sync subs as part of an old business model. If they weren't they would be skilled based rather than time based. 

• NebellNebell Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by masterdtox
    Originally posted by Nebell
    Don't blame it on gold buyers. We are just like your rich neighbour. Lots of money and not enough time, so we take the shortcut. I think that I've bought about 400-500k gold. Most went into crafting and respecs.

Thank u for your post,  because this is a nice example why Goldseller's exist in MMO'S. Your Post says enough, it clarify's  the reason why players buy gold.

Players now-days are just to lazy to pick up some easy profession do quests to make / get gold. All needs to be easy and fast for those type of players. Where do they come from hmmm...what MMO especially?..hmmm.

PS: thanks for being honest about your doing, thumbs up.

I'm not in my 20s anymore. I can't spend countless hours farming. I'm also impatient. When I want something I just get it. Time is money so if I have excess money why not spend some of it on time.

I might be selfish, but I don't really care how economy is affected from my gold buying. I mean, I'm playing video games for my own entertainment. I don't care how much fun some guy on the other side of the world have playing it. Or not.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Slackker

Yeah, it's been at 100k for over a week.

(Note this is for my personal experience. Your experience may vary.)

I still wouldn't classify the economy as broken. In fact, I don't think it is breakable. That doesn't mean I think Zenimax created some amazing economic system. It's quite the opposite. I don't even consider buying things from other players. I vendor crafting materials I don't use. I also vendor any materials once they no longer fit my level range, and only those which pertain to my weapon and armor choices.

So, what does that leave me with? Respecs, horse food, bank/inventory space and repairs? Easily handled by the coin I take in. I haven't had the need to purchase any bank and inventory space since I was level 40, and that was quite awhile ago - I'm currently doing VR stuff. 120/120 is more than enough for the way I manage items, in fact the last 10 of each was simply because I accidentally hit the button while banking and I like things to be even, so I bought another 10 bag slots. In terms of crafting I have everything but enchanting between 43 and 50. Armor/weapons? I can make everything I need. I have all but one bow trait researched, the important traits on clothing and smithing researched.

I haven't redone my skill points yet, but I will when I've gained all the skill points you can get doing all three faction stories. Even at that point I don't think I'll have any money issues. I'm not going to be specific, but I have six digits and the only thing I buy is horse food and repairs.

Rather than editing my statement towards the top I'll change it. Is it broken? Probably. Does it matter? I would guess not at all for most people. But again, your experience may vary.

If you don't consider buying from other players,would that not mean the system has failed 100% ?This is a MMO not a solo game,hence meant to have players interact with the entire world.It would be just like real life,most of your shoes are made in China or korea,many Appliances and electronics are actually from over seas or the parts are.That is how a real economy works,geesh even back 100 years ago farmers still had to rely on each other for certain things,NOBODY is ever 100% self sufficient.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

sounds like OP is complaining that the price of gold went up...simple ..just stop buy their gold? and aslo what i cant wrap my brain around is why the hell do you even need gold in this game in the first place? its not even a needed commodity like in other mmo's...if one dont like farming fine if one dont like selling junk fine if one dont like slow lvling fine..plz tell us why you are playing mmorpgs in general if one is too lazy to do so? imo i think the generation has faded to not working towards anything anymore and the generation that enjoys their self doing all of the above has and is becoming a lost breed of players...thats why we see soo many insta crap games nowa days

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    The key problem with buying gold is that the economy is shared among all the players in the game and has some features in common with real life currency.  If lots of people end up buying duped gold it can cause out of control inflation that makes the currency worth less and impact the ability of other players to meaningfully participate.  This in turn leads to those players being pressured into buying gold, and the next thing you know there is an out of control virtual economic death spiral being funded by player wallets and credit cards.