Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA is just another carebear game

Comments

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
    Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by Romulan78
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah
      I do not understand why people hate risk vs reward so much when it comes to video games.

Possibly because the vast majority of MMORPG players are mature adults with a family, a job and a life outside of video games, and because they play those games to relax and have fun, and not to have a second job (which isn't even paid, but which they pay for)...

PS: I'm very surprised the OP of this thread is still here after all the repeated insults towards a large part of the player base he made in his posts in this and other threads. I got in trouble with the moderators here for way less than this.

"Mature" adult with a family, job and a life outside of video games... Check!

I think mmorpgs without the risk reward factor are impractical, the purpose of  the game is to challenge the player and currently (until they improve the A.I) other players are the most challenging encounter any player will ever face.

Completely agree here. There are plenty of Mature mmo players that will not spend a penny trying this game if it becomes another "WOW" no challenge game. Very dissapointed there wont be a felluca type area where pvp is always an option.

But, there is.

No there isnt. Felucca was non-consensual and SotA isnt.

If you didnt know that then you didnt play UO.

Oh, I wasn't catching that you wanted to force all players into non-consensual PvP. Yeah that'll go down well. Get real.

SotA guys have it right on. If you want to max the player base, you need to cater for both. Making PvP optional and having good PvP in the opt in side of it is perfect for me.

As the game is doing right now they wont get many PvP players. I know what they want, they want a risk vs reward game with incentives to go out and challenge others and i dont see that in SotA.

Only catering for the carebears both in the PvE aspects AND in the PvP aspects of the game will punish them. 

Sure the carebears will be very satisfied but the PvP players just wont show up.

Originally posted by Holophonist
      I do not understand why people hate risk vs reward so much when it comes to video games.

Possibly because the vast majority of MMORPG players are mature adults with a family, a job and a life outside of video games, and because they play those games to relax and have fun, and not to have a second job (which isn't even paid, but which they pay for)...

PS: I'm very surprised the OP of this thread is still here after all the repeated insults towards a large part of the player base he made in his posts in this and other threads. I got in trouble with the moderators here for way less than this.

I think mmorpgs without the risk reward factor are impractical, the purpose of  the game is to challenge the player and currently (until they improve the A.I) other players are the most challenging encounter any player will ever face.

Completely agree here. There are plenty of Mature mmo players that will not spend a penny trying this game if it becomes another "WOW" no challenge game. Very dissapointed there wont be a felluca type area where pvp is always an option.

But, there is.

Oh, I wasn't catching that you wanted to force all players into non-consensual PvP. Yeah that'll go down well. Get real.

SotA guys have it right on. If you want to max the player base, you need to cater for both. Making PvP optional and having good PvP in the opt in side of it is perfect for me.

It's not force. Did you guys have a meeting and deliberately decide to use manipulative language when talking about this topic? You wouldn't have to play the game so nobody is being forced to do anything.

You can't ask someone to play a game they don't want to play. If PvE players are... asked, to PvP, they will say no. If they then have to PvP to get something, a special item, special resource, or whatever then they are not being... asked, to PvP. They are being... uh... well... pushed(ever so gently of course as not to offend you gramarz cops) into doing something they don't want.

SotA was crowd funded on choice of gameplay style. If you do not have a choice, then there is a problem as that choice has already been promised, not playing the game is a ridiculous false option you have levied.

You're forced to pvp if you want to play the game and want the benefits of pvping. Just like you're forced to pve if you want the benefits of pve. It's a meaningless and disingenuous way of saying it.

In any case, SotA currently is planning to allow both PvE and PvP. My point is, nobody here or even there knows what either is really going to be like in the end. FFS it is only 6 months into the creation of the game.

If you have a problem with something, take it up on SotA forum where the Devs are at least sure to read it. Don't moan here to the masses of the uninformed.

They are planning for a carebear version of PvP to please the PvE players that dont want a harsh enviroment with risk vs reward.

Writing on the SotA forums with its biased moderators isnt an option for me. I tried and felt this site is a better forum discussing  the game.

Werent youy banned at the SotA forums?

• Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99

But, there is.

It's not force. Did you guys have a meeting and deliberately decide to use manipulative language when talking about this topic? You wouldn't have to play the game so nobody is being forced to do anything.

You can't ask someone to play a game they don't want to play. If PvE players are... asked, to PvP, they will say no. If they then have to PvP to get something, a special item, special resource, or whatever then they are not being... asked, to PvP. They are being... uh... well... pushed(ever so gently of course as not to offend you gramarz cops) into doing something they don't want.

SotA was crowd funded on choice of gameplay style. If you do not have a choice, then there is a problem as that choice has already been promised, not playing the game is a ridiculous false option you have levied.

You're forced to pvp if you want to play the game and want the benefits of pvping. Just like you're forced to pve if you want the benefits of pve. It's a meaningless and disingenuous way of saying it.

In any case, SotA currently is planning to allow both PvE and PvP. My point is, nobody here or even there knows what either is really going to be like in the end. FFS it is only 6 months into the creation of the game.

If you have a problem with something, take it up on SotA forum where the Devs are at least sure to read it. Don't moan here to the masses of the uninformed.

They are planning for a carebear version of PvP to please the PvE players that dont want a harsh enviroment with risk vs reward.

Writing on the SotA forums with its biased moderators isnt an option for me. I tried and felt this site is a better forum discussing  the game.

Agreed with Aragon100.

There are so many versions of carebear pvp already in present games and other soon to be releases. UO was not a carebear pvp game when it came out and I felt it was awesome, even when trammel came out at least you could stay in Felluca.

To not allow us to have meaningfull carebear free pvp (not ganking) is unfortunate and something that I wont be playing and thankfully I did not fund this project as I have now recently gotten back to wanting to find a sandbox game that has some challenge and meaning behind pvp.

Tired of the WOW or Guild wars 2 style of "ohh I died let me rush back in there after repairing and die again another 10 times...

If you get beat in pvp it should make you think do I risk it again? or should I plan a different strategy to get those players back? more risk vs reward less mindless stupid actions.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130

But, there is.

Give me one example where they have officially changed PvP due to PvE players crying.

Just one example.

But, there is.

Agreed with Aragon100.

There are so many versions of carebear pvp already in present games and other soon to be releases. UO was not a carebear pvp game when it came out and I felt it was awesome, even when trammel came out at least you could stay in Felluca.

To not allow us to have meaningfull carebear free pvp (not ganking) is unfortunate and something that I wont be playing and thankfully I did not fund this project as I have now recently gotten back to wanting to find a sandbox game that has some challenge and meaning behind pvp.

Tired of the WOW or Guild wars 2 style of "ohh I died let me rush back in there after repairing and die again another 10 times...

If you get beat in pvp it should make you think do I risk it again? or should I plan a different strategy to get those players back? more risk vs reward less mindless stupid actions.

Now it is officially confirmed  -

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

I thought more of Richard Garriott then creating this kind of lame PvP system. Insurance? Random card combat? 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You really think this is going to work in such a way in this day and age? My experience since around 04 or so says otherwise. There's little PVP to be had anymore, hardly anyone fights they hide only to strike when they have a sure win. That sums up most forms of MMO PVP today in few words. Hence why I bother little with finding decent PVP MMO's anymore. You're better off sticking with mindless indie gankfests.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KattycakeKattycake Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by jesteralways

Important thread so that my old UO hardcore PvP friends dont misplace their money.

I thought that Richard Garriott would be the guarantee to guide this game towards a less trammel influenced gameplay. 

But i was wrong.

In Shroud of the Avatar there wont be any non-consensual risk vs reward gameplay, no consequences. Full loot seem to be out of the window cause the carebears said so.

PvP will be a cardgame where cards pop up on your screen randomly and you have to choose one of these cards. You cant cast the spell that you wanted to cast. Developers call this a skillful PvP system. I call it giving in to the players that seek easy mode PvP. There is even talk about making PvP turn based.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/does-anyone-else-hate-the-proposed-card-system.3128/page-4

So if you seek the next hardcore oldschool UO game just move along cause this aint it.

And how is this a news? did you not read the description of the game when it  1st come out on kickstarter? or more importantly can't you still read their kickstarter page? all of those "offline progression", "3 different type of online mode", "deep personal story" - did not give you enough info that it will be pve-centric? i do not believe that there is any moron in this world who would not understand after reading "what is SoTA?" section in kickstarter page that this is a heavily pve-centric game. seriously stop with these posts about pvp and SoTA without knowing what the game really is. and what it is trying to offer

Amen

xoxo

• erponxaoserponxaos Member UncommonPosts: 10

People that funded this game and come from the UO era focused on Richard G. Ultima and UO history.

RG just cashed his name like a no-good fraud that he is.You cant blame anyone for not being smart cause they trusted a name that is connected with RPG and guarantees a certain level of quality(until now).You can blame them for that if they make the same mistake again.

This isnt a second UO or something like UO and beyond that.People that pledged and come from UO should better focus their energies on finding something more suitable and best case scenario,buy it with the money they will get when they sell their account in this atrocity of a game.

Its what i do after i said my opinions on the pvp topic of SoTA and verified that devs+RG dont listen to anyone except money.And thats why we are getting spammed with SoTA shop new upgrades (if they made the same upgrades to the game we would be talking for something better than UO tbh...)

Far away from this fraud guys.Leave mumbo jumbo lunatic RG to gather the money to go to space again on his own.

If you want PVE go WoW,if you want PvP check albion and life is feudal and if you want hack n slash and shiny items with lots of damage and effects go diablo 3 or torchlight 2.

Get Skyrim buy a house there and give RG the finger plain and simple(10.000 dollars for a castle????))

Originally posted by erponxaos

People that funded this game and come from the UO era focused on Richard G. Ultima and UO history.

RG just cashed his name like a no-good fraud that he is.You cant blame anyone for not being smart cause they trusted a name that is connected with RPG and guarantees a certain level of quality(until now).You can blame them for that if they make the same mistake again.

This isnt a second UO or something like UO and beyond that.People that pledged and come from UO should better focus their energies on finding something more suitable and best case scenario,buy it with the money they will get when they sell their account in this atrocity of a game.

Its what i do after i said my opinions on the pvp topic of SoTA and verified that devs+RG dont listen to anyone except money.And thats why we are getting spammed with SoTA shop new upgrades (if they made the same upgrades to the game we would be talking for something better than UO tbh...)

Far away from this fraud guys.Leave mumbo jumbo lunatic RG to gather the money to go to space again on his own.

If you want PVE go WoW,if you want PvP check albion and life is feudal and if you want hack n slash and shiny items with lots of damage and effects go diablo 3 or torchlight 2.

Get Skyrim buy a house there and give RG the finger plain and simple(10.000 dollars for a castle????))

Amen

Richard and his crew said they would listen to their whole community but that was just lies. They listen to the PvE players, the carebears.

Of all suggestions the oldschool UO hardcore PvP players suggested nothing have entered the game we see today. It is a full blown carebear game.

And it is really upsetting that he tricked so many players that wanted that old UO feel to invest in a game that they would never play.

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173

TO OP

I played UO and it was fun, but frustrating PVP when you are a crafter out logging to get jacked while you are starting off... I do share your sentiments about carebears and such as well as I play PVP and I do not like the turn PVP has taken, but these days the best PVP you will get is PVP and PVE servers... Something like the way UO tan it is a thing of the past... too many carebears play MMOs these days. That is why so many MMO games are simplified like WOW.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Again immature players with bully mentality trolling all games with their PVP fixation.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Amen

Richard and his crew said they would listen to their whole community but that was just lies. They listen to the PvE players, the carebears.

Of all suggestions the oldschool UO hardcore PvP players suggested nothing have entered the game we see today. It is a full blown carebear game.

And it is really upsetting that he tricked so many players that wanted that old UO feel to invest in a game that they would never play.

Except there's going to be PvP in the game.  The game's mechanics comprise a variety of features, all designed to work together.  You are making it sound like "listening to the whole community" means "doing what the PvP players want".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Amen

Except there's going to be PvP in the game.  The game's mechanics comprise a variety of features, all designed to work together.  You are making it sound like "listening to the whole community" means "doing what the PvP players want".

There wont be a PvP game for the old UO players that loved that type of PvP game. It will be a PvP game that suits the carebears. Developers decided to go all the way towards the carebears suggestions over at SotA forums and didnt listen at all to the old UO players. All there suggestions was in vain.

Amen

There wont be a PvP game for the old UO players that loved that type of PvP game. It will be a PvP game that suits the carebears. Developers decided to go all the way towards the carebears suggestions over at SotA forums and didnt listen at all to the old UO players. All there suggestions was in vain.

Of course not.  The old school PvE game doesn't exist either.  What exists is something that allows each different play style to co-exist within the same game.  Any player willing to unbend a little bit from their narrowly defined acceptable game play will find something to do in the game.  Players who desire cost v. consequences PvP will have the opportunity to engage in that type of PvP with other like minded players.  They may even have resources that cannot be obtained without taking the risk of engaging in that style of PvP.  Does it encompass the entire game?  No, but that was never the intention.

Amen

Of course not.  The old school PvE game doesn't exist either.  What exists is something that allows each different play style to co-exist within the same game.  Any player willing to unbend a little bit from their narrowly defined acceptable game play will find something to do in the game.  Players who desire cost v. consequences PvP will have the opportunity to engage in that type of PvP with other like minded players.  They may even have resources that cannot be obtained without taking the risk of engaging in that style of PvP.  Does it encompass the entire game?  No, but that was never the intention.

How can it be narrow minded to dislike what the game finally turned out to be? Accepting playing a game you hate seems very long stretch and i have no clue how you can have this view? Do you play games that you had hopes for and it turned out to be the exact opposite of what you like?

I dont think so.

Old hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA. UO carebears will play it but dont expect to see any hardcore PvP players joining a carebear game like SotA. Even WoW is more hardcore when it comes to PvP. A cardgame as combat system, no loot (insurance) and no open PvP is not gonna draw and real PvP players to the game.

All resources will be availabe without taking any risk, you need to read up on the game.

Amen

How can it be narrow minded to dislike what the game finally turned out to be? Accepting playing a game you hate seems very long stretch and i have no clue how you can have this view? Do you play games that you had hopes for and it turned out to be the exact opposite of what you like?

I dont think so.

Old hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA. UO carebears will play it but dont expect to see any hardcore PvP players joining a carebear game like SotA. Even WoW is more hardcore when it comes to PvP. A cardgame as combat system, no loot (insurance) and no open PvP is not gonna draw and real PvP players to the game.

All resources will be availabe without taking any risk, you need to read up on the game.

It's not narrow minded to not like something.  That's not what you're doing here. 

What you're doing is saying that Richard Garriott promised you UO's old style hard core PvP, but isn't going to deliver on it.  You are also saying that you speak for the entire community.  That is narrow minded.

How is it narrow minded?  For you, there was only one acceptable answer to how the game should have been setup.  Not allowing for alternatives or concessions to other players is narrow minded.  You are also saying that you speak for every "old hardcore UO PvP player...".  This can't be true.  You haven't even met all of those players.  Assuming concesus among a group of people that you don't even know is narrow minded.  You aren't allowing for variations in opinion among the people in that group.

Also, if the latest article on the game is to be believed, SotA is coming along just fine.  If all the old hardcore UO PvP players have left, then it doesn't seem to matter.

Amen

I dont think so.

It's not narrow minded to not like something.  That's not what you're doing here. 

What you're doing is saying that Richard Garriott promised you UO's old style hard core PvP, but isn't going to deliver on it.  You are also saying that you speak for the entire community.  That is narrow minded.

How is it narrow minded?  For you, there was only one acceptable answer to how the game should have been setup.  Not allowing for alternatives or concessions to other players is narrow minded.  You are also saying that you speak for every "old hardcore UO PvP player...".  This can't be true.  You haven't even met all of those players.  Assuming concesus among a group of people that you don't even know is narrow minded.  You aren't allowing for variations in opinion among the people in that group.

Also, if the latest article on the game is to be believed, SotA is coming along just fine.  If all the old hardcore UO PvP players have left, then it doesn't seem to matter.

Let me refrase it, old UO PvP players that seek that old PvP game wont be playing SotA since it is a carebear game. Hardcore PvP players that seek hardcore PvP and dont find it wont appear. Richard Garriott have said that this SotA game is a spiritual successor to the Ultima games and UO. It is not a spiritual successor of UO, far from. He even visited one of the bigger UO freeshards and claimed it was. Some of the freeshard hardcore PvP players visited SotA forums and got more or less shocked when they understood how carebear the game actually was.

Hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA no matter how hard Richard Garriott tries to sell it to them. If the game lack just about all that can raise a interest to a UO hardcore PvP player then even you have to understand that SotA will be a game without them. 

SotA had many players but how many will be active on release? I am not the only one that bought the game and wont appear on releaseday. Garriott fooled alot of us to invest in a game that was gonna be the spiritual successor of UO and i can assure you it wont be forgotten any time soon. 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    May be he meant Trammel era UO.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    May be he meant Trammel era UO.

Many thought he ment oldschool felucca UO. Especially since the game would have a slider that allowed all gamestyles which didnt happen. 

Smart of him though to just say spiritual successor of UO since there are many versions of UO. He managed to trick many to invest on those empty words.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Amen

I dont think so.

Let me refrase it, old UO PvP players that seek that old PvP game wont be playing SotA since it is a carebear game. Hardcore PvP players that seek hardcore PvP and dont find it wont appear. Richard Garriott have said that this SotA game is a spiritual successor to the Ultima games and UO. It is not a spiritual successor of UO, far from. He even visited one of the bigger UO freeshards and claimed it was. Some of the freeshard hardcore PvP players visited SotA forums and got more or less shocked when they understood how carebear the game actually was.

Hardcore UO PvP players wont play SotA no matter how hard Richard Garriott tries to sell it to them. If the game lack just about all that can raise a interest to a UO hardcore PvP player then even you have to understand that SotA will be a game without them. 

SotA had many players but how many will be active on release? I am not the only one that bought the game and wont appear on releaseday. Garriott fooled alot of us to invest in a game that was gonna be the spiritual successor of UO and i can assure you it wont be forgotten any time soon. 

So you invested on the words "Spiritual successor" ?     You should have invested on the words " I am going to remake the original UO with up to date graphics"

That and spiritual successor have nothing in common so unfortunately, you are the one at fault here.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Boneserino

Amen

I dont think so.

So you invested on the words "Spiritual successor" ?     You should have invested on the words " I am going to remake the original UO with up to date graphics"

That and spiritual successor have nothing in common so unfortunately, you are the one at fault here.

Being vague is a smart way to trick players to invest.

The only one to blame here is Richard Garriott that claimed the game was gonna be a spiritual successor of UO which it isnt. Wonder how many old UO PvP players invested on those words and now feel it was just empty words.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Sorry but this just smacks of the "Me" generation. 

You made a poor decision based on very little evidence and now you wish to blame someone else for your bad judgement.

Look at it this way, you just learned a life lesson.   A small price to pay.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

You made a poor decision based on very little evidence and now you wish to blame someone else for your bad judgement.

I dont care about the money.

I dislike dishonest developers and they need to get revealed so they cant trick others in the future.

• erponxaoserponxaos Member UncommonPosts: 10

Watch the original KS video for SoTA.See how many times ultima franchise is mentioned,what RG says about pvp and a better experience that goes where UO went and beyond.

I believe that if that was an advertisment in USA,it would be sued for fraud based to what it says and what is delivered.

Plus RG did the same thing with Tabula Rasa.The guy is a scammer and old school gamers should be aware of that.We are to blame cause we gave him another chance.Aragorn has a valid point.So keep your valuable teachings for yourself young padawan.

• MaribuMaribu Member Posts: 14

Now it is officially confirmed  -

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

I thought more of Richard Garriott then creating this kind of lame PvP system. Insurance? Random card combat? 

Thank you for posting this.  The linked post has helped me finally make up my mind to pledge at the Citizen level.   I highly recommend anyone considering this game to do their own homework on it rather than accept anything posted here as an opinion because....well....you know what they say about opinions.  Everybody has one.