Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another 8 to 9 out of ten Review rolls in.

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

The following reviewers gave TESO between 8 and 9 out of ten:

GamesBeat

Cheat Code Central

Hooked Gamers

Meristation

Impulsegamer

XGN

4Players.de

Merlin'in Kazan? (Turkey)

Strategy Informer

Eurogamer Spain

InsideGamer.nl

The Escapist

3DJuegos

NowGamer

Digital Spy

games(TM)

Hardcore Gamer Magazine

Game Revolution

Check Metacritic for links to full reviews.

I don't pay that much attention to reviews if I am playing the game myself. But posters on this site want to keep telling us about 6/10 reviews, so I am pointing out that most reviewers think that is a ridiculous score for TESO. Reviews are mixed on TESO because it is trying to do something different, somewhat slower progression (nothing like as slow in the old days), no Auction House and other differences do not go down well with many players. Having been fed on a diet of easyMMO's and MOBA's thats hardly a surprise.

I would put it at an 8+ not a 9 myself.

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

People only post reviews of well known critics and review sites. Its the same for every other MMO released before ESO. Its not some conspiracy against ESO trust me.

Majority of the websites you linked..i am sure many do not even know about. Even for me these sites are unknown.

I have always paid attention to PC gamer, IGN and Gamespot for all my reviewing needs.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    It's a little bit interesting to see that the three 9/10s were done on April 4th. All the lower reviews were done much later (as recently a yesterday) after people had a few weeks to actually play it.
  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

People only post reviews of well known critics and review sites. Its the same for every other MMO released before ESO. Its not some conspiracy against ESO trust me.

Majority of the websites you linked..i am sure many do not even know about. Even for me these sites are unknown.

I have always paid attention to PC gamer, IGN and Gamespot for all my reviewing needs.

True, i only posted IGN's review because to me, along with GS, they're the 2 most well known game reviwing sites. I also posted Zero Punctuation because it's funny.

If anybody wants to read all the scores, they can go to metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

20 positive reviews: From 90 to 75, most being 80

16 average reviews: from 75 to 50, with most being 70 and 60

0 negative reviews: And that's another thing to consider. Nobody as given it below 60, with only PC gamer going to 50 at the lowest.

But the average beign 74 is not looking that good. The average user is also at 63.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Never heard of most of those minor sites.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    It's a little bit interesting to see that the three 9/10s were done on April 4th. All the lower reviews were done much later (as recently a yesterday) after people had a few weeks to actually play it.

But you are forgetting something..

if you rush a review and give it 9 / 10 its totally acceptable.

if you rush a  review and give it average score of 5 to 6 /10 it is unacceptable.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by Scot

The following reviewers gave TESO between 8 and 9 out of ten:

GamesBeat

Cheat Code Central

Hooked Gamers

Meristation

Impulsegamer

XGN

4Players.de

Merlin'in Kazan? (Turkey)

Strategy Informer

Eurogamer Spain

InsideGamer.nl

The Escapist

3DJuegos

NowGamer

Digital Spy

games(TM)

Hardcore Gamer Magazine

Game Revolution

Check Metacritic for links to full reviews.

I don't pay that much attention to reviews if I am playing the game myself. But posters on this site want to keep telling us about 6/10 reviews, so I am pointing out that most reviewers think that is a ridiculous score for TESO. Reviews are mixed on TESO because it is trying to do something different, somewhat slower progression (nothing like as slow in the old days), no Auction House and other differences do not go down well with many players. Having been fed on a diet of easyMMO's and MOBA's thats hardly a surprise.

I would put it at an 8+ myself.

just gonna throw this out there but over half of those were done on release day April 4th and Merlin'in Kazan? (Turkey) was done on april 2nd.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I can honestly say I've never heard of a single website on your list.  Most of the negative/mediocre reviews are from reputable websites.  Those positive reviews... not so much.
  • WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

only my own opinion matters

on what grounds should i trust others to make a decision for me to buy a game?

and no i will not buy TESO ever

if broken and buggy games on release is acceptable this genre really should go to H*** for the next 10 years

• tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    This is for all the people saying that some of these are not reputable websites. The world doesn't end at your countries border. 
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Given the dates on those reviews, around launch, and the fact no one has heard of them... yeah you're not really sending a reassuring message on the state of the game.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    The only person I trust to review a game is myself, so the "reputation" of the source does not feature highly to me. I can certainly see why a review done somewhat later would score somewhat lower as the bugs will spring to the eye more. This would overly weight the average score to be higher than it should be. Conversely once those bugs are fixed we will be at a stage when fewer reviews are done so that will weight the average score to be lower than it should be.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    I can honestly say I've never heard of a single website on your list.  Most of the negative/mediocre reviews are from reputable websites.  Those positive reviews... not so much.

Ahh, but see... the popularity of the site only matters when they give it a low score. Then it's invalid because "no one's ever heard of them". If it's a positive/high score, then it doesn't matter how well known they are or aren't.. it's 100% valid. I mean, consider the way the OP presents their data...

20 positive reviews, according to the OP, indicates how "those reviewers think 6/10 is a ridiculous score". But they're not saying that at all. They're just rendering their own score of the game, based on their own playing and experience with it. The OP is taking that and assigning it some additional meaning, putting words in those reviewers' mouths, to suit his own personal agenda... which is of course, to hype up ESO.

The OP also omits the fact that while 20 critics gave it a Good score, 16 have given it "Mixed". 4 shy of  50/50 split. Yet the OP deliberately ignores that. Why? My guess, in order to - yet again - make ESO look like it's scoring better than it is. I'd call that "dishonest reporting".

It's the same thing with fans of any MMO. The only thing they care about is: "Is the score high enough to meet my personal opinion of the game?" If it is, then it's valid. If it's not, then it's invalid and the reviewer is irrelevant, didn't play enough, went in wanting to hate it, obviously just hates MMOs, and what ever other dismissive remark they can come up with to make it "not count". They've been doing the same thing over in the ARR forums.

But hey.. Before we get too excited about "how many 80+ scores the game is getting" being a measure of how good it is, or even its long-term success... Let's consider the scores of another MMO that scored far better than ESO at its launch... Just for perspective...

Warhammer Online has a Metacritic score of 86 (media reviews). 52 Good scores, 2 Mixed, and 0 Negative. Many of those reviews came out around soon after its launch. That's a huge % of Good scores - especially compared to ESO's numbers. Yet, despite excellent reviews out of the gate, Warhammer Online never gained a large playerbase and limped along for a while before being taken offline last December.

By comparison, ESO has earned an average Metacritic score of 74.3, with 36 reviews. 20 of those are Good and 16 are Mixed. So, of those who've reviewed it so far, almost half didn't find it worthy of a better than "average or just above" score.

Now, in case someone here is missing the point of why I'm pointing that out (or is going to pretend to just so they can twist it around and/or attack me personally over pointing it out).. I'm not saying "that means Warhammer Online was a better game".

The point I'm making is... A high Metacritic score doesn't mean squat. Especially when so many are given soon after its launch.

Now.. before y'all start bashing on me, just remember.. I'm only pointing something out for perspective, using the same source as the OP. If you're going to discount the scores Warhammer got on Metacritic, then you have to discount the scores ESO is getting as well. Just keep that in mind.

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I'll never understand why someone posts on a forum about a game that they don't like. If you don' t like it, then, why would you follow it anyway?
  • perran7691perran7691 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Of all the new MMOs this is probably the most polarizing without a doubt. Such a huge rage of scores.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Gaeluian
    I'll never understand why someone posts on a forum about a game that they don't like. If you don' t like it, then, why would you follow it anyway?

Because it's a discussion forum, and people are free to discuss and share their views, about what ever topic they like?

People discuss things they don't like all the time. Foods, politics/politicians, movies, books, music, sports teams, etc. etc. Gaming is something for which people have a wide variety of opinions, and they like to share them.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423

Well it's probably because people have varied opinions and are free to express them, good or bad. The forums are not here to serve as a platform for positive acclaim alone.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Because it's a discussion forum, and people are free to discuss and share their views, about what ever topic they like?

People discuss things they don't like all the time. Foods, politics/politicians, movies, books, music, sports teams, etc. etc. Gaming is something for which people have a wide variety of opinions, and they like to share them.

Damn it Tang!!! Stop making sense..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Originally posted by tinoberserk
    This is for all the people saying that some of these are not reputable websites. The world doesn't end at your countries border. 

The internet doesn't end at your countries' borders either. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Thats a great list and useful , as we now have a compiled a list of reviewers that have discredited themselves and that should be ignored in the future ..imo

Thank you OP for this valueble community service

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Scot

Reviews are mixed on TESO because it is trying to do something different, somewhat slower progression (nothing like as slow in the old days), no Auction House and other differences do not go down well with many players. Having been fed on a diet of easyMMO's and MOBA's thats hardly a surprise.

I would put it at an 8+ myself.

What exactly did they do different and what about it makes you rate it an 8? I'm interested because in my experience there is not a single thing in this game that hasn't been done before and in a lot of cases much better.

"Having been fed on a diet of easyMMO's" wow you said that? This game isn't hard at all its AWKWARD.

The UI is terribly lacking information. Why even have buffs/debuffs if you cant even see them applied, no names plates, no performance information available for players to improve, can see what you are looting, we shouldn't have to wait on ui modders to fix it after this many years of MMO development.

You cant do more than one thing at once, want to chat? great then stop whatever you are doing, want to look at the map? never mind bringing up a full map every 2m to see how you are tracking to an objective.

Guild auction houses aren't an improvement over world auction houses, so much crap in the world your bags fill up in three minutes which you then port back to town to deconstruct.

All the armor looks drab, when you upgrade it actually looks WORSE.

All healing is smart healing in most case AoE smart healing.

So much zoning in the open world.

I could go on but seriously this game isn't hard its an awkward stop / start step back in the quality of life of MMO's. I wish it was insanely hard so then Joe average wouldn't be defending it.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

The point of the score is to grab attention.  The point of a review, on the other hand, is to point out the good and bad points of a particular game, with authors either putting more emphasis on the good portions or the bad portions.   The only reason we are getting so many sensationalist postings here is due to the fact we aren't rational creatures and we have a strong, perhaps unhealthy fascination with, sensationalism over substance.   Someone may get home from a long day of work with little patience for the smallest sleight and decide to project that through posting on some subject, or someone may be on vacation and is fairly laid back, so they post rather level headed or positively.

As for why these rants generate so much traffic, there's a lot of reasons, though for the author of a venting post they are often looking for empathy, or at least a chameleon playing the role of empathy.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I don't want to discredit any of those reviews. But the only review websites which I use and I have heard of are IGN and Gamespot. But even those two sometimes give bollock reviews. I just read the review rather than look at the score.

Metacritic score is 74 which is not that bad. But it's very important to read the actual reviews rather than look at scores. Don't read user reviews. For example, metacritic's user score is the worst indicator of a game's quality. User reviews are worthless. Metacritic is only good for critic reviews and not user reviews.

I can't give you a score for the game. For me it is very difficult to think in terms of stupid scales. It's much more important to point out what you like and what you don't like. There are very few games which I would give a 10 out of 10.

Probably World of Warcraft, Dota, Starcraft 1/2, Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2. No other 10/10 games for me. Don't know how people decide to give a game 8 or 9, how do you distinguish between the two? I can only really score games which I think are sick like those in the previous sentence. THose games were PERFECT so I would give them 10/10

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

so what about the negative reviews that were done before launch that the community here took as law? if its negative its a good review, positive and its because they got paid.

that's how the mmo community here works.

the problem with a lot of these reviewers is they compare it to single player games and not other mmo's

IMO if this mmo is average then so is every single other current mmo.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by baphamet

so what about the negative reviews that were done before launch that the community here took as law? if its negative its a good review, positive and its because they got paid.

that's how the mmo community here works.

the problem with a lot of these reviewers is they compare it to single player games and not other mmo's

IMO if this mmo is average then so is every single other current mmo.

There are no negative reviews on Metacritic that were on or before April 4th.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by fivoroth
    I don't want to discredit any of those reviews. But the only review websites which I use and I have heard of are IGN and Gamespot. But even those two sometimes give bollock reviews. I just read the review rather than look at the score.Metacritic score is 74 which is not that bad. But it's very important to read the actual reviews rather than look at scores. Don't read user reviews. For example, metacritic's user score is the worst indicator of a game's quality. User reviews are worthless. Metacritic is only good for critic reviews and not user reviews.I can't give you a score for the game. For me it is very difficult to think in terms of stupid scales. It's much more important to point out what you like and what you don't like. There are very few games which I would give a 10 out of 10.Probably World of Warcraft, Dota, Starcraft 1/2, Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2. No other 10/10 games for me. Don't know how people decide to give a game 8 or 9, how do you distinguish between the two? I can only really score games which I think are sick like those in the previous sentence. THose games were PERFECT so I would give them 10/10

if comparing ESO launch to wow launch and u give wow a 10/10 i would give this at leas a 9 in comparison. in fact i would probably give it a 10 as well.

wow is not a perfect mmo and it damn sure was not at launch. personally, i wouldn't give any of those games a 10 that you listed.

they all had and still have flaws.