Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 ? I'll give you my view...

GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

GW2....love it.   Wish I never took a break from the game.    

Graphics are always down to personal taste, but GW2 looks better than any other MMO i've ever played.  The art and environment just click with me.

How GW2 has developed over the past yr?  As a returning player, the story arc with new content and events coming in every few weeks has been outstanding.   

I don't know how, but I enjoy the PvE in this more than MMO's focusing more on PvE.   You just have 1 quest line to follow, sick of having 30 quests listed on the right side of my UI.  

The races give you multiple starting zones and if you don't like one, you can just jump into a different one because they are lvl 1-15.  

I enjoy trying to complete zones (POI, Vistas, Heart Quests (varying things to do, not just kill 10 of this etc), Jumping Puzzles) and then you have those dynamic events that pop up and everyone works together to complete them.  Dailies are cool and I like how they change up the requirements daily.  

Haven't been back to PvP since the beginning, but once I settle with my new guild I plan on partaking in it again.  

Why write this?  I don't know, figured I'd give props to the game.  ESO, Wildstar, SWTOR and a slew of other MMO's have been so disappointing, that I really didn't realize how great GW2 was till I returned to it.  

But there is one main reason this game has probably appealed to me, ease of play.   I'm an older gamer, family etc and my job requires a lot of my time.   GW2 is great for my casual play.  I just log in , do a daily, LFG a dungeon, do some champs, work on map completion or try and complete the living world events.  

The combat is...how can I put it...easy but complex ?   There aren't 30 skills to worry about but the weapon swamping, trait setup , utility skills and combos really give you enough tactical variations to make it interesting.  Plus, the combat is very fast moving, I love rushing into battle , hack and slash, and then dodging to safety.  It really flows nicely.  

Kind of funny, I returned after a yr and didn't even have to worry about upgrading my gear.  I could just get back to playing and doing content.  Now some love the gear grind thing, but I don't have time for that anymore. 

GW2 is the perfect MMO for casual gamers.  Hardcore 20 man raid dungeons, maybe not, but for me, its a perfect balance.  

Cheers all.  

Comments

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    agree
  • helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Glad you enjoy the game.

I'm on disability right now following surgery and I've been scrambling around trying to find something to pass the time with.

I just can't get into GW2. I log in, kill a few NPC's, and then find myself wondering what I'm doing and why. Maybe I need a Guild and people to play with. I feel like that's what's missing.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by helthros

Glad you enjoy the game.

I'm on disability right now following surgery and I've been scrambling around trying to find something to pass the time with.

I just can't get into GW2. I log in, kill a few NPC's, and then find myself wondering what I'm doing and why. Maybe I need a Guild and people to play with. I feel like that's what's missing.

I'm with you. I don't mean any ill will toward the game, but it just is like the thing has no anima. I log in and within 20 minutes I'm off and playing something else.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by Archlyte

Glad you enjoy the game.

I'm with you. I don't mean any ill will toward the game, but it just is like the thing has no anima. I log in and within 20 minutes I'm off and playing something else.

Yea, I know what you mean.  There isn't really much direction.  No next gear tier etc.   No carrot on the stick. 

I'm sorta playing it as a sandbox game.  Kind of do whatever I want.   Its funny, but because there is no major endgame or continuous quest line, I find myself just having fun leveling new toons and ,dare to say, working on their cosmetics lol.  

Its actually quite refreshing because I feel no pressure to grind or do the same dungeons over and over again for a drop.  

I enjoy just exploring the lands, visiting the vistas and trying to complete all the jumping puzzles.  

So without direction, what am I doing?

I'm trying to learn 6 different character classes.  Become better at playing them and perfecting builds that I enjoy playing while making them more effective.

I keep trying to amass gold to buy the equipment for different builds to test.

Also, love exploring everything and even enjoy some of the story lines of the different races. 

I think the issue most people have with MMO's is the gear grind. If you take that away, they forget to just enjoy the world.  For me, the gear grind had finally started me turning me off from games.   Remove that grind and now i'm actually enjoying my gaming experience more.  

But I totally understand your view.  

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Glad you enjoy the game.

Well, its a game where you  make your own goals (and game certainly doesnt lack in that). If you want a more directed game theres really plenty of those (if not all others) to play.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

It's the best casual MMO out there, it looks great, no rush, no building your life around a game. Perfect for a working person with a family who can only afford to spend so much time on a game. Just leveled my 8th toon to 80, did some sPvP, some WvW solo or just follow the zerg for brainless fun.

I don't need raids, being standby just for a chance to be in the raid, so you can get the DKP's to be eligable for some gear that just might drop, at least if nobody ninjas it and subsequently gets kicked from the guild only to join another guild and get his shinies faster than you. The next tier of gear is just around the corner anyway, why bother?

I don't need all the drama, just looking for a good time, and GW2 is the ticket for me.

imageimage
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I stuck with GW2 so long because it doesn't force you down a linear path.  There are multiple areas to choose from when leveling.  It's amazing that many people don't want freedom...I just don't understand it.
  • GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

It's the best casual MMO out there, it looks great, no rush, no building your life around a game. Perfect for a working person with a family who can only afford to spend so much time on a game. Just leveled my 8th toon to 80, did some sPvP, some WvW solo or just follow the zerg for brainless fun.

I don't need raids, being standby just for a chance to be in the raid, so you can get the DKP's to be eligable for some gear that just might drop, at least if nobody ninjas it and subsequently gets kicked from the guild only to join another guild and get his shinies faster than you. The next tier of gear is just around the corner anyway, why bother?

I don't need all the drama, just looking for a good time, and GW2 is the ticket for me.

Spot on !  Exactly my thinking.  

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by GungaDin

Glad you enjoy the game.

Yea, I know what you mean.  There isn't really much direction.  No next gear tier etc.   No carrot on the stick. 

I'm sorta playing it as a sandbox game.  Kind of do whatever I want.   Its funny, but because there is no major endgame or continuous quest line, I find myself just having fun leveling new toons and ,dare to say, working on their cosmetics lol.  

Its actually quite refreshing because I feel no pressure to grind or do the same dungeons over and over again for a drop.  

I enjoy just exploring the lands, visiting the vistas and trying to complete all the jumping puzzles.  

So without direction, what am I doing?

I'm trying to learn 6 different character classes.  Become better at playing them and perfecting builds that I enjoy playing while making them more effective.

I keep trying to amass gold to buy the equipment for different builds to test.

Also, love exploring everything and even enjoy some of the story lines of the different races. 

I think the issue most people have with MMO's is the gear grind. If you take that away, they forget to just enjoy the world.  For me, the gear grind had finally started me turning me off from games.   Remove that grind and now i'm actually enjoying my gaming experience more.  

But I totally understand your view.  

I'm actually REALLY enjoying the game recently again after dropping it at release.

Back in the day I was really put off by lack of progression.  Playing it recently I have found there is actually a LOT of progression with different builds.  So this is where you are wrong about gear grind.  This game has TONS of gear grind!  You just didn't recognize it because you are enjoying the game.  Other people might not recognize also it if they aren't fanatic about trying every build out there for a perfect match.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

i got triple nerfed and im not coming back the games for little kids

and im not a little kid...

wildstar also sucks it was so laggy i could not stand 1 minute of it

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    This game hasn't won multiple awards for no reason, it's a great game. It may not be everything that everyone wants, but it is gorgeous, has loads to do and is the best value for the money of any game out. I love it myself alot.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Glad you're still enjoying it.  So am I.  I took a few months off and when I came back I wondered why I ever left.  In the meantime, I'd tried Rift (again), TERA (again), EVE (zzzzz) FFXIV:ARR (hilariously terrible game), Dragon's Prophet (meh), and a bunch of betas, including Steam games.

I grew up with linear single player RPG's, which is the main reason I keep coming back to MMO's, GW2 specifically.  There's no "end".  There are no raids.  There are tons of other people to interact with. You do what you want, when you want, without worrying about a "Game Over" screen or re-gearing when the next patch/expansion comes out.  I like collecting and killing primarily, and the game offers that in spades, as well as challenge in some pretty badass enemies (solo a Veteran Karka... no go ahead, really).

GW2 is the most sandbox fantasy-themed game I've played yet.  Apart from the story that I didn't even have to do, I never felt like there were "rails" and I appreciate that games are expanding the way they are.

I'll just add that I really, REALLY hate certain parts of this game, mostly that skill point maze in Cursed Shore.  If you've done map completion on a few characters there, you probably know what I mean. lol

Also, I think they could be a little more generous in leaving certain areas or features in instead of making them temporary, but as long as they keep replacing them with something else to do, it's not a deal breaker.  It's a different kind of MMO, I've gotten used to it.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have to agree with the OP. I will alawys have it installed. I'll take a break once in awhile but i always come back to it. I really feel that this game is so unique in alot of ways. Whenever i do login i have fun. And the latest update is really good.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

What?  A fairly civil discussion about GW2 without name calling?    Most of the previous posters have echoed my feelings about the game also.  I was thinking this is a game that appeals to "olders"  like me  (mid 40s), but I have heard many younger people in voice so maybe not.  It is defintely a casual player's MMO. For those people who love hard challenges in games and gear grinds, I understand their criticisms of the game.  I believe that is a valid argument. I took a break from the game also and came back and jumped right in.  No need to worry about my character being gimped or left behind!

I will talk about some of my misgivings about the gtame. It only seems fair after all these rosy comments.   

I initially was excited about the LIving Story and the expectation of a story arc that persisted for a year with varied and interesting mechanics month after month. The reality is far from that for me, at least.  After starting the story and pounding signs in to warn refugees back in the beginning, I was starting to get uneasy.  When I looked at my panel and it said 10/250 or whatever the total signs you had to pound in was, I defintely turned around with regards Living Story.  It just feels too grindy for me. Perhaps the most exciting element was the Destruction of Lion's Arch.  That felt like meaningful change to the world , not the sign pounding mess.  Players are still debating about what will happen to Lion's Arch.  Personally, I can not believe the developer's will leave LA in the mess it is.  I am sure it will involve us rebuilding LA , perhaps in the next story arc.  

No actual expansion.  At this point I was hoping for some more "real" content.  For me this content would be another continent or huge zone to explore.  GW2 is terrific with exploration but we need more going forward. I was hoping for some more permanent land mass at this point.  

I still find this a pleasure to play and it remains my go to game after I get bored with all the new shinies!

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

I have a major love hate relationship with Guild Wars 2.

I love everything about the game.

I hate how it's ruined all other mmo's for me. There just isn't one out there I can find that compares.

And, at the moment I feel like a junkie without my fix. I was loving that new content every two weeks, 

been going nuts for the last two months checking the website every few hours for a new content update. (LOL)

I still find plenty of things to do each day, but I still need my fix ! 

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by oboc

I hate how it's ruined all other mmo's for me. There just isn't one out there I can find that compares.

And, at the moment I feel like a junkie without my fix. I was loving that new content every two weeks, 

been going nuts for the last two months checking the website every few hours for a new content update. (LOL)

the first thing I do when I try out another MMO is I jump and turn to see if they just did a shitty job of adding jump just to add it. Which is what I cannot stand is any other MMO. Then I check the combat. 

Usually after those 2 checks I tend to leave the game because it is not fluid enough.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by oboc

I would take a break from checking the website before you go crazy.  I thought they'd have season 2 out by now (About 3 months ago I thought that anyway), but I realized it'd take longer once they announced that Chinese living story will be synched up with the US.

They're not going to start up the living story again (Other than possibly filler, but they haven't even said anything about that) until at LEAST after May 15th which is the Chinese preorder headstart release date. :(  ... and they had no announcement THIS Tuesday, so that leaves out next week, so yeah, not even really room for filler at this point. :)  And they won't start on the 13th because that would chop the living story release date halfway through the preorder start.  So that's May 20th at the EARLIEST, and possibly even the 27th if they decide to give China an extra week to catch up to level 80. :(

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

Glad you enjoy the game.

You always need a guild when you play mmo, I started to play GW2 solo but I got bored so me and a few friends started a guild. After the guild was made I "forced" some people at work to buy it and come play with us and now we have made even more friends.

The guild have expanded and there are always lots of people online and we do stuff together all the time. This makes all the difference in the world and I think this formula will work in every mmo.

• mviratamvirata Member UncommonPosts: 55

Thanks OP, nice view, I'm thinking about re-downloading this game again. I've been playing the crap out of FFXIV on my PS4 and it got me thinking about this game. I think they bit off GW2 quite a bit, but that's OK. However, I happen to love western style high fantasy (and not paying a monthly fee) so I'm going to give this another shot

How are you liking this Megaservers? The main reason I originally quit this game was the low pop. Iv'e read that it's much better now but I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by VicodinTaco
      So this is where you are wrong about gear grind.  This game has TONS of gear grind!  You just didn't recognize it because you are enjoying the game.  Other people might not recognize also it if they aren't fanatic about trying every build out there for a perfect match.

Yeah there's heavy grinding as far as grinding goes, but the wonderful part is that it's not forced on players. There's no gear check or gear gating in any of the contents, aside from fractals, that is actually a contained section of the game designed for the gear grinders.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    The 'grind isn't necessary' argument that I hear from staunch supporters of GW2 has to be one of the dumbest arguments I've heard.

In what game is the grind necessary? You're not going to starve tomorrow if you don't raid in WoW. Seriously....
  • An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    The 'grind isn't necessary' argument that I hear from staunch supporters of GW2 has to be one of the dumbest arguments I've heard.

In what game is the grind necessary? You're not going to starve tomorrow if you don't raid in WoW. Seriously....

Actually, sir, your comment is the most dumb i've red today. First comparing gear grind to starving..really?

Also if you don't understand the difference between wow gear grind and gw2 gear grind it makes me wonder if you are just trolling, and your second statement points me in that direction.

I'd google ascended gear and wow gear tiers. A whole new world will open for you.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

One of my biggest issue with GW2 is the utter lack of story to anything and if there are 'stories' it is just objectively bad.

Your personal story is fanfic level bad. And I'm not talking about 'subjectivity' here. Multiple loose ends from Ch1 that goes nowhere is objectively bad story telling. It is as if multiple authors wrote parts of it and no one bothered to read the whole thing to check for cohesiveness. How did my parents die? Wha... Oh Ch2! Oh! And who is this idiot? Oh Ch3! Oh... WTF?!

When WoW can come up with a better villain that isn't Sunday morning cartoon material in  Garrosh Hellscream than the entire GW franchise, it might be time to /Facepalm.

Having said that, the megaserver actually made me play with the events again. Yeah, I'm following the zerg with my MF gear but whatever. It is cool to zerg a big boss with 50+ people. Or hop on the QD champ train for a bit or grief them by pulling / killing the champs so the train goes out of sync etc.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Idk.

I just can't play this game. It bored me to death within an hour of launching it. /shrug

Also, it is TOO different from GW 1.

I will be polite and just say that this game isn't for me. I literally see NO reason to play it.

GW1 had a relatively 'tight' narrative compared to GW2.

GW2 is all about 'here is a bunch of things that happens in this world'. It has no narrative so players tend to not get emotionally attached to the game.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AyesdiephAyesdieph Member Posts: 14
    Having a game to enjoy is what it's all about.  I'm happy that you're happy.  image