Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Bring the Skills

2»

Comments

• ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Joejc7135

Wildstar has really good combat...actually that is one of the things that impressed me most about the game. The feel of the combat. I played wow from release till pandas and came back later to play pandas. I feel like one of the main things that kept me playing wow was how nice the combat was. I get that same feeling from wildstar.

Combat especially the mechanics behinds it is one of the worst things about the game.  It is probably why they let the Lead Combat Designer of the game go a couple of days ago.  In other games with limited abilities you at least have the option to switch weapons so if you get bored of one playstyle you can switch to another.

With WildStar you are stuck with one weapon and limited abilities.  It screams lack of depth and the rotations will never change save for  few skills here and there.  People will get combat fatigue in this game in the late 20s to early 30s.  Unlike WildStar, WoW's combat actually has depth and versatility.  WildStar really lacks in that department.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by Shephard

Combat especially the mechanics behinds it is one of the worst things about the game.  It is probably why they let the Lead Combat Designer of the game go a couple of days ago.  In other games with limited abilities you at least have the option to switch weapons so if you get bored of one playstyle you can switch to another.

With WildStar you are stuck with one weapon and limited abilities.  It screams lack of depth and the rotations will never change save for  few skills here and there.  People will get combat fatigue in this game in the late 20s to early 30s.  Unlike WildStar, WoW's combat actually has depth and versatility.  WildStar really lacks in that department.

This is so inaccurate it can only be classified as trolling.  You can have several "builds", combinations of skills and AMPs, and you can switch between them at will, so long as you are not IN combat while switching.

I have four builds on my Esper, a Ranged Solo build, a Melee solo build, a Raid utility build, and a PVP build.  I use whichever one is most appropriate, and, once the game goes live, I will put together gear sets that accentuate each style.

Lack of depth my ass.

T

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Shephard

No new skils from lvl31 (?) to 50 except for a handful of AMPs won't help either.

It also feels to me as if they didn't design the classes as such in first place and had alot of freedom to design them, but primarily created the game with the combat system on their minds and threw some classes to it.

Like the classes weren't designed as classes in particular and to stand out on their own, but rather to carry and support the combat mechanics. Some definitely feel limited and similar to an extend, thanks to the combat system.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by mithrillion
    Coming from FFXIV I feel the combat design philosophy has "a la Titan" all over it... Warning to other games: DO NOT WALK DOWN THIS PATH! You will be hated!

And yet, most people that I talk to that are really into the 20/40 person raids is really looking forward to the random element of boss fights.  Titan was literally the only fight in FFXIV that wasn't completely a "memorize the steps" boss.  And I say completely because there was only 1 random thing about it, the bomb order, and even that was a braindead mechanic.  Literally everything else could just be memorized.

Believe it or not, there IS a population of players that like the fights that go for random abilities that the players have to react to.  It's the way that challenge is being brought back to the MMORPG, now that players are better.

After doing the first 2 dungeons multiple times and playing a closed beta account, I can tell you it is memorize the steps. Instead of watching for raid warnings/bar (wow/ff14) you look for telegraphs and figure out what you should interrupt. So yeah it's not the "SUPER STEP UP", it's just trading one form of raiding warning for another.  

The combat wasn't all that exciting, other than trying to stand in the max distance and mash you buttons. PVP is even worse, it's a cacophony of telegraph and people running away. I'm honestly wasn't all that impressed; but by no means a bad game, it's good just not the REVOLUTION everyone's been talking about.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by omidus
    it's good just not the REVOLUTION everyone's been talking about.

Huh? Where has anyone said it was a revolution? In fact most,if not all, people are saying it's nothing new. It's taken all that's been successful with mmos and presents it all brilliantly.

..Cake..

• aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by aceofmmos
    Im eager to sink in deeply in a WS lore, so my leveling will be slower. This game has much to offer judging by betas and live streams.

If you love lore pick the "science path" its full of lore nuggets.

Thanks Nan,

I liked exploring path thou ;) I like those jumping puzzles :)

• aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by aceofmmos
    Im eager to sink in deeply in a WS lore, so my leveling will be slower. This game has much to offer judging by betas and live streams.

If you love lore pick the "science path" its full of lore nuggets.

But I will test it today :)

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by sgel
    it's good just not the REVOLUTION everyone's been talking about.

Huh? Where has anyone said it was a revolution? In fact most,if not all, people are saying it's nothing new. It's taken all that's been successful with mmos and presents it all brilliantly.

Well I have to say that I disagree.  The first hour or two of any new game is all important as it sets the tone, and you only have one chance to make a good impression.  I have just tried Wildstar for the first time and the first hour has been one of the most mind numbingly boring of any MMO that I have played to date.  I just couldn't stomach playing any longer.  So no thanks.  Kudos to all those that love the game and I hope that you all have a great time but it isn't for me.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    fun little ganme? sure, skill required....laughable....most of the combat is area of effect based, action based garbage in my eyes, im still a fan of tab targeting, I know action based "hit everything" combat is the new fad but i think it stinks.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • SeleckSeleck Member Posts: 1
    I admittedly have Wow-centric point of view, though I've not played in years. That said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the beta game-play I've experienced. I enjoy the "nimbleness" I feel in combat. Honestly, my toon looks like a badass rolling between mobs, slashing for the killing blow, and then spinning around to face the lifeless bodies. That's not something that happened in Wow. The quests are nothing "special" but they introduce you to the mechanics of the game. (And they became progressively more interesting in the next zone.) This is definitely the most excited for a game I've been since Wow.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by mistafist
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    It does indeed take finger finesse to fight your way through the clunky combat system :) Other than that the game is quite fun and will be worth the money. Still a few months from release so hopefully they tighten it up some more!

Last time I saw someone state this, it turned out they were a keyboard turner and refused to use the mouse.  I think people should take what they want from that.

Haha I'm not a keyboard turner at all, I just dislike the sliding effect you have when moving during combat and out of combat. It feels like the whole world is made out of ice.

Kudos though, the veiled insult did get a chuckle out of me :) Looking forward to what they can do to improve the game prior to release and shortly after so I can make a decision on whether or not to sink my teeth in fully.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by ianicus
    fun little ganme? sure, skill required....laughable....most of the combat is area of effect based, action based garbage in my eyes, im still a fan of tab targeting, I know action based "hit everything" combat is the new fad but i think it stinks.

You must be watching low level videos, and not the raiding ones.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• Papapeta33Papapeta33 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by mithrillion
    Coming from FFXIV I feel the combat design philosophy has "a la Titan" all over it... Warning to other games: DO NOT WALK DOWN THIS PATH! You will be hated!

And yet, most people that I talk to that are really into the 20/40 person raids is really looking forward to the random element of boss fights.  Titan was literally the only fight in FFXIV that wasn't completely a "memorize the steps" boss.  And I say completely because there was only 1 random thing about it, the bomb order, and even that was a braindead mechanic.  Literally everything else could just be memorized.

Believe it or not, there IS a population of players that like the fights that go for random abilities that the players have to react to.  It's the way that challenge is being brought back to the MMORPG, now that players are better.

After doing the first 2 dungeons multiple times and playing a closed beta account, I can tell you it is memorize the steps. Instead of watching for raid warnings/bar (wow/ff14) you look for telegraphs and figure out what you should interrupt. So yeah it's not the "SUPER STEP UP", it's just trading one form of raiding warning for another.  

The combat wasn't all that exciting, other than trying to stand in the max distance and mash you buttons. PVP is even worse, it's a cacophony of telegraph and people running away. I'm honestly wasn't all that impressed; but by no means a bad game, it's good just not the REVOLUTION everyone's been talking about.

ca·coph·o·ny

noun ka-?kä-f?-n?, -?ko?- also -?ka-

: unpleasant loud sounds

plural ca·coph·o·nies

Full Definition of CACOPHONY

:  harsh or discordant sound :  dissonance 2; specifically :  harshness in the sound of words or phrases

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Mechanics wise, the game isn't horrible but it isn't, by any rational, new, inventive or original.  I don't really think it's going to hit it off as much as people expect it to.  The telegraphing system isn't new and it's really overused in this game.  Combat isn't much more than trying to place as many mobs in the high damage zone and MASH BUTTANS.  ESO has more combat strategy than Wildstar.

Another detractor for me is that it's obscenely cartoonish and maybe I'm just getting too old for that.  WoW is cartoony but it's reserved as an art style, Wildstar reminds me of being in a comic strip...just not for me.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by madazz

This article basically states that end game will be the same as all other MMO's. IE; preferred builds for min/max players. 

They state that all classes will be viable. And admit that some will be stronger than others. They HOPE that people wont go for the stronger builds as the others are at least viable. LOL. LAME!!!!!

And look at all the people who fell for it as if its something new. Just like their AMP system which is just traits, or AA's or skillpoints, or veteran levels lol. Its ALL been done before. They just use different words and the masses clamor for it as if its something new. This is GW2 hype all over again, but thankfully not as big and annoying.

yeah i know, the same thing with cars...they all have a steering wheel and tires.....its all been done.....boring.   /end sarcasm :p

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Well said.

This all seems so familiar though. Like I've been through this before, but in a different way. I already have a lot to do ingame, so I am going to stay.

Where I'm at.

New discovery! Everything is shiny. People will love it and hate it.

Some will rejoice, some will be whiny.

Grind to endgame, get the gear.

Now I've got nothing to do?

Have no fear, the new expansion is here.

So I'll resub for the  month, the xpac looks neat.

I'm logging in now.

Rinse, repeat.

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by ianicus

I Cant agree more-100 times tabbing with a huge variety of skills rather than a bunch of aoe skills(u just cant miss lol)   --jumping like a monkey to avoid something

• Bebop182Bebop182 Member Posts: 1
    Actually no it releases next month
  • KEV1NJKEV1NJ Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Ok, so I'll admit here that I'm an old geezer, slow with limited reflexes.  Does all this mean I should skip this game?
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by KEV1NJ
    Ok, so I'll admit here that I'm an old geezer, slow with limited reflexes.  Does all this mean I should skip this game?

Unless you take great joy in enraging youngins who might rely on your reactionary ability ;-), in which case this could be an epic trolling in the making.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche