Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.1. Million Characters over lvl 10 - esostats addon

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Creatorzim
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

I would be surprised if ESO sold that few copies. Didn't they say the imperial edition sold out or something to that extent?

Keeping the numbers for other ES games in mind they should be moving a few million copies at least.

If they sold 1 million coppies then ZOS would be bragging about it. They wanted to brag about how many people signed up for beta. 

TES is not ESO. 

No developer on any release tell the subscription numbers until a month after release. It's been just over two weeks how about not jumping the gun buttercup.

It took swtor 3 days, gw2 gave out that they passed 1 million mark immediately.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

I would be surprised if ESO sold that few copies. Didn't they say the imperial edition sold out or something to that extent?

Keeping the numbers for other ES games in mind they should be moving a few million copies at least.

If they sold 1 million coppies then ZOS would be bragging about it. They wanted to brag about how many people signed up for beta. 

TES is not ESO. 

No developer on any release tell the subscription numbers until a month after release. It's been just over two weeks how about not jumping the gun buttercup.

Many games have released saying they had 1million or more copies sold day 1. Troll somewhere else please.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

TES is not ESO. 

Many games have released saying they had 1million or more copies sold day 1. Troll somewhere else please.

It has been a general trend with developers and publishers to make getting actual numbers harder and harder.  The MMOData guy stopped publishing his charts because of this.

I don't want to give them too much credit, but ZOS might have learned from the mistakes everyone else made about publishing their "numbers".  It doesn't matter what the numbers are, people are going to hyperbole them into something bad eventually.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

TES is not ESO. 

It has been a general trend with developers and publishers to make getting actual numbers harder and harder.  The MMOData guy stopped publishing his charts because of this.

I don't want to give them too much credit, but ZOS might have learned from the mistakes everyone else made about publishing their "numbers".  It doesn't matter what the numbers are, people are going to hyperbole them into something bad eventually.

So they release beta numbers but not actual sale numbers? But its because they dont want the numbers skewed? 

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

Given the fact that according to polls only 50% of the people who play use add-ons we can assume the number of 2.1M is wrong.   Conversely, given the fact that a lot of people who slapped down add-ons are also power levelers that have multiple alts, we can assume the number of 2.1M is still wrong but in the negative direction. 

Either way until an official release of numbers from ZOS, no one can actually know the numbers.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Too bad 1.6 million are bots/spammers.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by lizardbones

So they release beta numbers but not actual sale numbers? But its because they dont want the numbers skewed? 

sub#s are more elusive than ever

but both SWTOR and GW2 reported their sales during the first week

SWTOR announced over 1 million players, 3 days after launch

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111223

Ncsoft GW2 announced 1 million sales for 3day preorders, before GW2 launched 08/28/2012

http://techland.time.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-sales-one-million-pre-served-record-400000-playing-at-once/

when and how ZOS announces sales - remains to be seen

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

TES is not ESO. 

Every MMO that's done well, especially the ones facing many pitfalls and traps thanks to exploits and bugs will have and have jumped at the news to claim their higher then average subscription numbers.  I doubt ESO has more then 300-400k players.  And it'll only get worse.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShephardShephard Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by azzamasin

TES is not ESO. 

Every MMO that's done well, especially the ones facing many pitfalls and traps thanks to exploits and bugs will have and have jumped at the news to claim their higher then average subscription numbers.  I doubt ESO has more then 300-400k players.  And it'll only get worse.

Zenimax didn't release numbers for Dishonored and that game did well.  I don't think their PR team understands the MMO business and if they don't they need to catch up.

It is impossible to tell if they have 500k or 2 million at the moment.  My guess is 1.5 million to 2 million.  However, in terms of retention they will do what FFXIV did and most other MMOs follow.  50% retention rate after a month.  So 750k to 1 million next month.

Originally posted by Shephard
    Originally posted by azzamasin

TES is not ESO. 

Zenimax didn't release numbers for Dishonored and that game did well.  I don't think their PR team understands the MMO business and if they don't they need to catch up.

It is impossible to tell if they have 500k or 2 million at the moment.  My guess is 1.5 million to 2 million.  However, in terms of retention they will do what FFXIV did and most other MMOs follow.  50% retention rate after a month.  So 750k to 1 million next month.

Theres only 2m characters according to the OP...You think every one of those players only has 1 character? Many people on the forums stated they had 8 characters above level 10 already.

Theres only 2m characters according to the OP...You think every one of those players only has 1 character? Many people on the forums stated they had 8 characters above level 10 already.

The OP didn't know what he was talking about.  Those were scores not actual players.  If they were players the number is over inflated because that only included players that actually went to Cyrodiil.  I don't think the game sold 2+ million already.  I think it can hit 2+ million with console sales but not without.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka
    Originally posted by intiorized
    Originally posted by Gremriel
    And exactly how does an addon derive such numbers, seeing Zenimax never released official numbers?

it´s an ingame addon which counts the numbers of accounts which are over lvl 10. Dont know what´s so difficult to understand

So the API is not open enough to allow tracking of your own buffs/timers but can provide detailed account information to a TP addon?

That seems very legit.

Like most addons that do the same thing, it just operates on a "/who" function that show's who's in an area.  The addon would save that data to a flat-file database on your computer, and upload it periodically to their servers.  It's probably  more accurate with TESO than other games like WoW, since everyone is on the same server.

Not saying the method is 100%, but if it's done right, it creates a great utility for showing not only total populations, but active populations (derived from seeing the same names uploaded regularly versus a name that gets uploaded once and never shows up again, for example).

You make me like charity

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    The number presented is a score, and not population. Active population is shown as three bars, or a lock if its full.

+1

As has been said the little bars indicate population with a full campaign being about 2,000 characters.

Currently there are 20 campaigns - 10 EU, 10 US - of which 3 factions out of 60 are currently locked (sure there were more locked).

Based on this all you can say is - assuming 1 character per person - that the minimum population is about 3 x 660 = 2,000 up to 20 x 2,000 = 40,000. And its not 40,000 of course because not all PvP campaigns are full.

If you were to assume that 1, 2 or 3 bars represent 25%, 50% and 75% and locked at 100% you could make a "better" estimate but why bother. We have no idea what the PvE to PvP ratio is.

Originally posted by gervaise1
    The number presented is a score, and not population. Active population is shown as three bars, or a lock if its full.

+1

As has been said the little bars indicate population with a full campaign being about 2,000 characters.

Currently there are 20 campaigns - 10 EU, 10 US - of which 3 factions out of 60 are currently locked (sure there were more locked).

Based on this all you can say is - assuming 1 character per person - that the minimum population is about 3 x 660 = 2,000 up to 20 x 2,000 = 40,000. And its not 40,000 of course because not all PvP campaigns are full.

If you were to assume that 1, 2 or 3 bars represent 25%, 50% and 75% and locked at 100% you could make a "better" estimate but why bother. We have no idea what the PvE to PvP ratio is.

That is faulty math, because GW2 sold 3.5 million copies and it has less "campaigns" than ESO has.  And even in GW2's case most of the "campaigns" are empty.  Concurrency is not the same as overall population.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

+1

That is faulty math, because GW2 sold 3.5 million copies and it has less "campaigns" than ESO has.  And even in GW2's case most of the "campaigns" are empty.  Concurrency is not the same as overall population.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Lol this reminds me of that post saying ESO will hit 10 million players. Anyone still want to champion that statement?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Deleted User

so at least 262500 copies were sold (you can make 8 chars / account) 

I know we have this threads, but now we have some numbers.

I guess they´ve sold around 1 Million copies.

I have 8 characters below level 10, not to mention, the 10 and under area is still pretty populated with people fighting over resources and chests still.   

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

+1

GW2's "campaigns" were mostly full at launch. I remember tons of players saying how they had long queues for more than half an hour. There were less, yes, but it lasted for atleast 1 month.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Lol this reminds me of that post saying ESO will hit 10 million players. Anyone still want to champion that statement?

don't forget the 5 million people who registered for the Beta too image

yeah, the more i hear about huge numbers from unofficial or 'guesstimate' sources, the more i wonder just how few actually did buy it.. you know, i am now beginning to wonder if they even managed to shift 500,000 copies of the game..image

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by DEAD.line

+1

GW2's "campaigns" were mostly full at launch. I remember tons of players saying how they had long queues for more than half an hour. There were less, yes, but it lasted for atleast 1 month.

There are hour long queues even now during prime in EU silver, I don't dare imagine what the hell gold league is like on NA or EU.

• commander12commander12 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

don't forget the 5 million people who registered for the Beta too image

yeah, the more i hear about huge numbers from unofficial or 'guesstimate' sources, the more i wonder just how few actually did buy it.. you know, i am now beginning to wonder if they even managed to shift 500,000 copies of the game..image

This :)

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    AND DONT FORGET THE 1 MILLION BOTS FARMING ALL THE MINES AND WOOD
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    OP account is deleted, why is this thread still going?
  • Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Even if they could proudly announce they sold over 5 million copies of the game...it just means they managed to sell 5 million dog turds disgusied as an elder scrolls game. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

+1

No.

There are 20 campaigns - check. Each campaign holds 1,500 or 1,800 or 2,000 people - check. Not concurrently - absolutely. So 20 x 2,000 say is 40,000 max. And only 3 factions out of 60 are locked so a - somewhat stupid minimum - would be 660! 

As I said however we have no idea how many people only do PvE - the game could have sold 3.5M and we wouldn't know based on the information.

What we do know is that points are not characters!