Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP do you want the most?

CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

So many games that had amazing IPs are still not doing that well  and was not what we expected from that kind of IP. SWTOR, FF, TES, etc.

What IP would you like to see created. Now this is not what elements of a game would you like to see just what world would you like to live in if they did a successful game with?

Star Wars, Dr. Who, Dragonball Z, etc. 

What world would you be interested in? Might also make a poll afterwards just to see which world has the most supporters once I get people to give some answers.

Answers so far:

None

Naruto

Masters of the Universe

Babylon 5

Mobile Suit Gundam

Wheel of Time

Mass Effect

Game of Thrones

Dr. Who

Sliders

Warhammer

Dragonlance

Lord of the Rings

Farscape

Dune 

The Saga of Pliocene Exile

Firefly

TRON

Harry Potter

World of Darkness

Alien vs Predator

Transformers

Glorantha

Camelot

Riddick

Mass Effect

Malazan Book of the Fallen

Tales from the Flat Earth

True Game

Eternal Champion

Star Wars

Terminator

Jericho

Rift War Saga

Suikoden

The Matrix

StarGate

amtrak wars

underworld

A song of ice and fire

mistborn

Palladiums's Rifts

Thundarr the Barbarian

Lovecraft Mythos

Chronicles of Elantra

Discworld

Traveller

Planescape

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I prefer original IPs designed to be MMOs rather than IPs that are then made into MMOs.

If I had to choose one, it would be Naruto and take place before the 5 great nations were founded.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

This will show the age of anyone who agrees with me, but Masters of the Universe would be EPIC!!! 

It's already got everything that an MMO needs, plus they were riding tigers before WoW was even thought of!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

None. I think the industry has proven on several occasions that famous IPs do not make good MMOs. Lets have some innovation. Design something new, build a world from scratch. Maybe employ a famous author to help build the world, some are pretty good at it.

But if you are forcing me, Judge Dredd - Mega City One.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Vorch

I prefer original IPs designed to be MMOs rather than IPs that are then made into MMOs.

If I had to choose one, it would be Naruto and take place before the 5 great nations were founded.

Agree with you 100% but if I had to pick one I always thought Babylon 5 would make for a great MMO setting....

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Vorch

This. Specially single player game IP's. And if a known IP is used, i'd prefer if the story of the mmo is as far away from the main storyline from the of the series as possible.

Personally, i think a Mobile Suit Gundam mmo would cool since we don't really have that many mech video games, much less mmos. And Gundam games don't usually come to the West. But like i said, it would have to have 0 connection to any of the universes, being it UC or AU.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I guess if I could be sure it would be done well, Wheel of Time.  But the danger of making any established IP into an MMO is that it won't accurately match the millions of fans' expectations, and will, therefore, disappoint by default.  
  • IsariiIsarii Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I want a Mass Effect MMO, I just don't want BioWare to make it. I think I'm screwed. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Game of Thrones would make an awesome IP 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    None.  I want no established IPs because they *ALWAYS* fail.  What people want to do in established IPs is play in and around the existing continuity.  They want to fly the trench dogfight in Star Wars, they want to throw the One Ring into the volcano in LOTR, they want to do all of the things that they've seen on TV or in the movies and that's not what's going to happen in a game.  Therefore, original IPs only please.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    These are not really intellectual properties, but some concepts that I think would work well for a mmorpg.  Most I.P.'s are so developed, I don't think I'd garner more from playing in the world, for example Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
    • Pre-history (Cavemen, etc.)
    • Sacred texts of mono-theistic religions
    • Something along the lines of mites and bacteria would be neat
    • Dr. Who or Sliders might be kind of cool (parallel realities and such)

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

This is a really difficult question.  Some of the first things that spring to my mind, Like Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, don't really have the right structure for an MMO and also have problems like designed-in sexism in the original series which would have to be eliminated to make it a good MMO.  Others, like Paul Park's Starbridge Chronicles are good mainly because of their M-rated elements and would only work as an adults-only MMO.  Something like Tainith Lee's Biting The Sun duology vividly captures a slice of life in a futuristic world, but the rest of the world besides that slice would have to be invented from whole cloth or drawn from another work to make a hybrid world.

IMO a good MMO world needs:

- An exotic yet comfortable and pleasant main culture to be shown through NPC towns and the crafting system.  Probably several sub-cultures with distinct differences with each other would be needed to give different locations character and provide the philosophical basis for opposing NPC factions.

- A frontier where there are risks, opportunities, mysterious ruins, and cool monsters, but not a real risk that lots of people will be slaughtered or the world will end, or in the other direction a risk that the frontier will all get tamed and the world will run out of adventure opportunities.

- Sandboxy natural space for players to build in

- Ideally, not too much technology because a modern feel hampers escapism.  No guns, no robots, no computers, no steam engines.  If it's a futuristic world it should be post-technological or have converted to biotech, and if it's a primitive or feudal world it should have magical tech.

How many fictional settings that actually have all that, and aren't dependent on the main character(s) being a secret special type of person different from the rest of the world?

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • moroelmoroel Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Warhammer fantasy mmo.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    While I am admittedly looking forward to the new WH40K game coming up, I don't think games based on separate IPs are a good idea. IP contracts eventually run out and that is a problem for a persistent world. A strong IP that the company owns as with Warcraft or FF is the best scenario.  And ultimately I am getting tired of game companies trying to put round pegs in square holes. I want new worlds and new stories.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by laserit
    Game of Thrones would make an awesome IP 

Would it have an M rating???  image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I would love to see a  Dragonlance game that would be epic.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

1) Middle Earth Silmarillion era - armies of balrogs and the like.  Won't happen as long as Christopher Tolkien is in charge.

2) Babylon 5

3) Farscape

So yeah, I'm not getting my wish.

• punkindonutspunkindonuts Member UncommonPosts: 13
    MMO's based on well known IP are limited on the flexibility that the devs usually have when turning the IP into a game, but if i was going to pick an IP to use i would go with either Dune or The Saga of Pliocene Exile both would make great MMO's if done correctly
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Firefly...

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• AuzirixAuzirix Member CommonPosts: 1
    TRON
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    1) Firely

2) Babylon 5

3) Farscape

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    My inner nerd desires a Harry Potter MMO.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

White Wolf's "World of Darkness", pretty much as described by the bastards that are stopping the project after all these years, CCP.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

Alien vs Predator.  3 faction warfare with Marines, Aliens, and Predators.  I think there is a lot of that could be done with this ip and to be honest, i want an mmo other than the tired old fantasy clone.  Wildstar just doesnt feel sci-fi enough to me...

A lot of very good suggestions!!! Anyone is/know a game developer with  a few million $$$ burning a hole in their pocket? image

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Acidon

White Wolf's "World of Darkness", pretty much as described by the bastards that are stopping the project after all these years, CCP.

^ couldn't have said it better myself...