Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this going F2P?

Arche_AgeArche_Age Member Posts: 11
Hey guys read some articles on the forums here and it seems like the game may go F2P. Is this true?

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Can you please link the articles you read that lead you to this idea.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Personally having played this game after the fixes, I think it would benefit to be a F2P game. Too much of a grind to warrant a sub imho.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    No this isn't going to go F2P. They have a large subscriber base, and quite a few people playing all the time. FFXI is still p2p and it has a lot less, I really doubt they will ever go F2P to be honest. He just said it can be a good idea sometimes in the article / interviews.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

No

Ok FF14ARR being very successful aside, it will most likely never go Free to play because the game director does not like Free to play.

• Arche_AgeArche_Age Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by kitarad

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/120472-March-19th-Dengenki-Online-Article?p=6061123&viewfull=1#post6061123

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Originally posted by Arche_Age
    Originally posted by kitarad

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/120472-March-19th-Dengenki-Online-Article?p=6061123&viewfull=1#post6061123

He's talking about MMORPGs in general. He's been kind of given an image on online forums and games media as being an advocate of the p2p model because of some comments he made and he is probably tired of it. I'm also pretty sure that the decision to go f2p does not rest only on him. Honestly, I don't see FF14 going f2p in the forseable future and even if it was, it would take them some time to develop the systems to support that model.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    as someone who played it for 6-7 months i think it should be f2p to me i just don't see a reason to pay a sub for that game. the game is super fun tho. I'm hoping it goes f2p it would really be a great game then.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by mayanking
    as someone who played it for 6-7 months i think it should be f2p to me i just don't see a reason to pay a sub for that game. the game is super fun tho. I'm hoping it goes f2p it would really be a great game then.

Its not F2P because than it would end up being a cheap low quality mmo like most F2P quality mmos, for example Dragons Prophet, and devs will spend part of their time making bullshit items to sell on a cash shop rather actual content.  Plus you just gave the best reason why its not F2P "the game is super fun"

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Fortunately the hundreds of thousands of people giving SE their money disagree with you.

F2P? Give me a bucket, I'm about to throw up.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Fortunately the hundreds of thousands of people giving SE their money disagree with you.

F2P? Give me a bucket, I'm about to throw up.

hundreds of thousands.. well ok sir if you say so no reason to be so salty. I just don't think there is enough content to pay 15 a month.. *17+ for another bank,seller w/e* the game was way to repetitive and the end game was heavyly based on having 8 people with a 4-5 star net. I am saying the game is fun i enjoyed it greatly i maxed all crafting gathering and such. But after that i felt i had nothing to do but log in to see linkshells spam the same things over and over and over looking to beat the same primals thats just not worth a sub to me. the game was really inactive before the new patch hit btw. When it hit everyone came back most the people i know who play only sub 1month beat the content then wait for the next update which really sucks. 

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Don't think it will any time soon, it's hit 2 mill subs and has had to mjaor patches over the 9 months it been out. I don'y play it, but there defo doing something right :)
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I don't think so they have got millions of loyal Asians playing and subbing so the west is not that big a deal to them.

maybe in 10 years time.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Mr.SeriousGuy

its not going free anytime soon . its the reason why ESO and wildstar think they can do the subscription method but the reasons why FF14 is doing well is that ...

1) since bliz never came through with WOW2 . people who want forced grouping tradition mmorpg complete with hidden dice rolls have little to choose from since most companies are working on a action mmorpg system . well what else would you play ?

2) the FF fan boys keep it alive at least until FF15 gets released (its a action game not turn based) so maybe a year and a half later it might go F2P ...maybe 2 years . then they will want a FF mmorpg thats action based 

3) its not a glitch fest . oh sure lots of people say oh well is in beta they will fix it when it goes live and omg people never been in a beta before stuff is always broken well when you get a company who isn't incompetent there is little that needs to be fixed in beta and its mostly balancing and stress testing the servers not hot fix waves and unfixed bugs left from beta in the live game . ESO buggy as hell and wild stars late game content wasn't tested enough by the in house team and there is a level cap that prevents every one but those invited to test the late game content from seeing it so lets just say it will be a broken glitch fest 

to clarify on my first point blizzard made a statement years ago about cataclysm being the last expansion for WOW and that they would work on another WOW game that never came to fruition that was suppose to replace WOW and might even let people transfer characters name included to the new game . so people who wanted it just left since WOW looks old as hell and there are a ton of mmorpgs out there

I'd like to see a link with an official statement, because I don't recall Blizzard ever stating Cata was going to be the last expansion. Actually, if the leaks are to be believed (and many have turned out to be true), Blizzard has WoW planned out until level 120, which is anywhere from 2 to 4 expansions AFTER Warlords this year.

I'll agree with your first statement though. Sub based, Themepark style games are actually a bit rare unless you play older games. WildStar and FF XIV: ARR fill a niche that many seem to enjoy. Especially in light of Blizzard going back to the drawing board with Project Titan and their push into the F2P market with Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. I'd be surprised to see another sub based game from Blizzard, as they have seemingly learned how to monetize their games quite well.

For the OP, I highly doubt we'll see FF XIV go F2P anytime soon. It's still doing quite well for itself.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    When it hit everyone came back most the people i know who play only sub 1month beat the content then wait for the next update which really sucks. 

And what exactly is wrong with that? They pay as they see fit, as everyone should. The fact is SE wants them to come back and the only way to do that is with as much content as they can reasonably put out. F2P patches are such a disappointment in comparison it'd be horrible for this game.

Even WoW can't keep up with what SE is putting out. The game is THE P2P game if you want constant content additions.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    hundreds of thousands.. well ok sir if you say so no reason to be so salty. I just don't think there is enough content to pay 15 a month.. *17+ for another bank,seller w/e* the game was way to repetitive and the end game was heavyly based on having 8 people with a 4-5 star net. I am saying the game is fun i enjoyed it greatly i maxed all crafting gathering and such. But after that i felt i had nothing to do but log in to see linkshells spam the same things over and over and over looking to beat the same primals thats just not worth a sub to me. the game was really inactive before the new patch hit btw. When it hit everyone came back most the people i know who play only sub 1month beat the content then wait for the next update which really sucks. 

1.  Yes, hundreds of thousands.  The last time Yoshida spoke on the subject (shortly before the last patch) there were over 500k unique daily logins.  I doubt that has dropped substantially since then.

2.  Unless "most of the people you know" are in one of the two Free Companies that have actually completed the hardest fight currently in the game, I'm going to call this out as false.

3.  Can you honestly name a MMO where you're not doing repetitive tasks?

I can respect your opinion on not liking a game, but giving misinformation to support your cause just makes you lack credibility.

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

I don't think so they have got millions of loyal Asians playing and subbing so the west is not that big a deal to them.

maybe in 10 years time.

It has just as many active players in the west as in Japan. The most populated servers (ones that are constantly locked out of character creation) in the game are NA servers.

As for the OP, the article you are talking about was taken completely out of context. Yoshida was commenting in general on the fact that it can benefit certain games to operate on a f2p model because certain games work better under that model, whereas FFXIV makes more sense to be subscription-based. Basically he was just talking about the fact that there isn't one type of monetization model that is ideal for every online game in the world.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    In simple terms, not likely going F2P.  Games that go F2P from P2P are typically not doing well and FFXIV is doing very well and their content is being added regularly. 
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    No, not anytime soon, and likely not ever. Not only are the sub numbers great at the moment, they're growing - something that only Eve Online can also claim.

<3

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    No, not anytime soon, and likely not ever. Not only are the sub numbers great at the moment, they're growing - something that only Eve Online can also claim.

That i think is one of the main reasons why FFXIV;ARR is unlikely to ever go F2P, the game is still growing, its only recently launched on the PS4, and in the process is probably one of the best MMO's to hit the next gen consoles. FF XI is still P2P after all, if FFXIV;ARR was in any danger of going the whole F2P route we'd have seen something happening there first, as FF XI is really an old game now, still a good one though. An earlier poster mentioned FF XV, really hoping that one comes out on PC too, but as its not an MMO, but a continuation of the single player game 'series' it really has no bearing on FFXIV;ARR, though i do expect the game to sell extremely well, probably a must have buy for any FF fan, really hoping its not going to be a PS4 exclusive.image