Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar - Questions - Information

RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I wanted to make a thread that went over beta questions and information for Wildstar. Part of the reason is that at least for me I am having trouble locating their information, if you have any links or suggestions please share. Please use this thread for Beta questions, experiences in beta weekends and any questions you may have that are still unknowns.

For me personally I thoroughly enjoyed this past beta weekend in Wild Star. I ran a Warrior/Soldier, Esper/Scientist and a Spellslinger/Explorer. I made it to level 10 on the warrior and the Esper to get a general feel of how the game opens up etc. After this beta weekend finished it solidified my pre-order purchase indefinitely. I do have some questions if anyone else that have come by this information or experienced it first hand can share.

1) What is your overall opinion of the combat mechanics?

2) How do you like crafting? Also does crafting seem like it enhances the game or limit it?

3) Can anyone access your housing plot if you give them access, or how does this work?

4) Can anyone access your war plot if you give them access or how does that work?

5) The abilities in the beta weekend were limited to level 36, since the game goes to level 50 I assume that there are other skills that they have not made available yet, anyone know if this is true or are all skills in the game right now?

6) How does crafting work? I saw tech trees and a bunch of other customization options within the crafting tab.

7) How was your overall experience in Wildstar? Did you notice a large difference between the lower levels and the higher levels? (1-15 to 15-30 etc)

8) Are mounts specific to 1 player at a time or are there mounts that allow you to carry multiple players?

Comments

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Alright Cupcake, here is My Wildstar point of view as a level 50 beta warrior. I haven't played since the end of February so some of my responses might be dated.

They are great! Being able to run around and have full opportunity to mash anything and everything in front of you is great! Seriously the telegraph thing is not an issue. It's more of a "This is the range you can cause pain in."

2) How do you like crafting? Also does crafting seem like it enhances the game or limit it?

Love crafting! Crafting is my life! However crafting is functionally useless in Wildstar. You will RARELY be creating items that are better than quest items and it is more often than not easier to get blue level challenge items and rep rewards just from running around. Crafting is more of a 'gap' thing to do if the RNG is beating you down and you haven't found an upgrade in a while. The switchboard self stating system they have in place limits you more than helps you. Blue powercores (as far as I know) STILL are not craftable by other players. Requiring you to do dungeons to 'maybe' have a chance at a blue core, which you'd have to compete to get with your other group members.

3) Can anyone access your housing plot if you give them access, or how does this work?

Yes you can! You have a social list where you can add 'neighbors'. It is hard to explain without a visual example, but you most definitely can!

4) Can anyone access your war plot if you give them access or how does that work?

Did not experience any war plots.

5) The abilities in the beta weekend were limited to level 36, since the game goes to level 50 I assume that there are other skills that they have not made available yet, anyone know if this is true or are all skills in the game right now?

I have capped out to 50, and everything you see in the lists is what you're going to get. Barring any changes or modifications for balance reasons.

6) How does crafting work? I saw tech trees and a bunch of other customization options within the crafting tab.

Better to watch one of Chief Sarcan guides for the step by step crafting explanation. But the Tech Trees is a form of specialization via talents. As you craft things, you will unlock 'talent points' and there are seven levels of them, each of which contain 1 to 3 'specialization' option that you can choose. However you can only choose one per level or tier. In actuality it is much less cool than it sounds because all the decent talents are from levels 1-4 (X%extra charge for Chest and gloves, Pants and feet, or shoulders and head are all first tier talents are as good as it gets..pretty much). The rest after that are functionally useless (at least for armorsmiths).

7) How was your overall experience in Wildstar? Did you notice a large difference between the lower levels and the higher levels? (1-15 to 15-30 etc)

Do not expect to have fun playing Wildstar until you get off your Arkship. Just survive it. You'll understand after you experience it. It's needed but uninspired tutorial. After that, Fuck. Get ready to kick ass and take names! Because you're about to wreck some shit cupcake. In general the first time you will begin feeling 'strong' is around the level 15-17 range depending on your playstyle and build. This pretty much goes on consistently with you feeling more and more powerful as the levels go up. But then so do the punishments for screwing up a mob signal or something.

8) Are mounts specific to 1 player at a time or are there mounts that allow you to carry multiple players?

This isn't two girls one cup. One mount one rider.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Thanks for your response, I am a little disappointed to hear that crafting is not much of an enhancement though. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Thanks for your response, I am a little disappointed to hear that crafting is not much of an enhancement though. 

No even close to true, real crafters are going to love Wildstar. Each crafter can be unique by how the spec their crafting talents. They have taken some of the coolest idea of crafting for a few games and then made it their own. Also being a crafter will require work on a level that not everyone will be willing to do. So max out your skills and people will come to you. 

Check out THIS video to get a small idea of how it works

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

No even close to true, real crafters are going to love Wildstar. Each crafter can be unique by how the spec their crafting talents. They have taken some of the coolest idea of crafting for a few games and then made it their own. Also being a crafter will require work on a level that not everyone will be willing to do. So max out your skills and people will come to you. 

Check out THIS video to get a small idea of how it works

Thanks for your link, I am going to watch it now. I have never been much of a crafter, that question was more for one of my friends who loves crafting as part of his focus in MMO's. Glad to hear its not as useless as the previous poster mentioned, although we shall see how it all works out in the end.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Since the others need be answered by only one person.

1. The combat is the ONLY thing I got tired of. I loved the idea of action combat and skillshots, as I love mobas. Though unlike mobas you are constantly spamming your abilities, which grows very very tiresome. It's just like wow spam rotations but you have to aim constantly. This will be fun for pvp in short bursts but doing it hours on end really burns me out. I prefer a little more strategy/less spam in my MMO.

7. The world is a great place to be. If you're in to lore(often passed up by most people in beta) at all there is a ton to offer and lots of comedy. It is typical "oh this again" exclamation mark questing though. You do a lot of kill X(% doesnt really change much) and pick up X. Being able to get out of cutscenes is a really nice touch though! Also like that even in tank spec I still felt leveling speed was adequate. Not sure on heal spec leveling though. The raiding is going to have to be significantly more interesting than WoW's for it to warrant a pre-order from me though. They have mentioned that almost all of their work is on the endgame. 

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I wanted to make a thread that went over beta questions and information for Wildstar. Part of the reason is that at least for me I am having trouble locating their information, if you have any links or suggestions please share. Please use this thread for Beta questions, experiences in beta weekends and any questions you may have that are still unknowns.

For me personally I thoroughly enjoyed this past beta weekend in Wild Star. I ran a Warrior/Soldier, Esper/Scientist and a Spellslinger/Explorer. I made it to level 10 on the warrior and the Esper to get a general feel of how the game opens up etc. After this beta weekend finished it solidified my pre-order purchase indefinitely. I do have some questions if anyone else that have come by this information or experienced it first hand can share.

Having played a main Elementalist in Guild Wars 2, the combat is excitingly fun.  Mind you that my basic build was as a Fire Ele that slung fireballs at the enemy left and right.  Although the one thing I dislike about this game is that it's combat is more linear instead of omnidirectional.   When it came to slinging fireballs, I was able to do so with an arch from high up on a wall to the ground and then from the ground to the wall.  All sorts of play came out of being able to literally get the 'drop' on someone from above.    So this game's [Wildstar] system does feel a bit limiting in that sense, but is still an overall HUGE step up compared to other  games like WoW (i.e. tab-targeting games).

Crafting actually enhances the game.  None more so is true than the Architect crafting profession, which allows to build all sorts of housing thingies.   And how the socket items are crafted from items taken from Challenges, from salvaged stuff, etc makes it all the more integrated into the overall game.

If you give someone a Neighbor access, not only can they access your plot, but they can harvest for you as well.  You'll be able to set up your harvesting percentage so that they can either get a lot of the resources, a little of them, or none at all.  Really nice feature to basically pay a friend to go harvest your plot while you're on vacation or something.      And you can also set your plot to Neighbors Only or Private or Public to allow as much or little access as you so choose.  

War Plots are completely different and from what I know about them, only your War Party (max 80 players) can access your War Plot when not in a scheduled combat as well as when in a matched combat.   Enemies can access it when in combat, assuming that they're able to get past your security systems.   But there is no public access to War Plots for the reason most likely to prevent spying on enemy layouts and plot designs.

Of course abilities go far up to level 50.  If you notice for ability tiers, they unlock every so many levels up to level 50.    Those tiers improve abilities in their damage and some of the MAJOR tiers give special extras to the individual ability.    It's not unlike WoW that had abilities unlock, and then Tier 2 unlock at level 15 and so on; the major difference is that you don't need to go to an ability trainer to "train" for Tier 2, it just is available to you to invest in if you so choose.

Um, it works by mixing materials together with stuff to create more stuff.  Gather materials from nodes (if you have one of the professions for gathering) -or obtain them as rewards for Challenges- and from salvaged items to create what you want to based on what you've unlocked.  You gain crafting investment points via certain achievement completion (i.e. "Craft 3 flow pot windows") and can use those to improve crafting skills such as lowering the amount of materials needed to craft certain things or having a higher quality creation and so on.     It's advanced, there's lots to it, and I'd recommend Googling it for a better breakdown. 

Creature mobs get much more difficult as you get higher up in level.     They're more challenging than the basic ones that start out with mostly single telegraphs alone.  The "Wanted" mobs do have more elaborate attacks, even at the lower levels (which is good, because they're usually 2-3 player mobs).

Single player mounts are single player mounts.  There have not been any multiple person mounts in the game that I'm aware of. 

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

From what has been said on the beta forums, it works similar to how a GM sets ranks and access for the guild. You have a Warplot "window" where you give permissions to people on your Warplot "team". So a person would need to first be invited to your team, just like an Arena team, and then given permissions by the Warplot owner.

I'm also pretty sure there is at least 1 mount with a passenger slot, I dont think anyone in beta has got one, it may be an achievement or high rep reward, but I'm pretty sure I recall Carbine mentioning one in one of the past interviews/videos they did.