Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• ComanComan Hattem, AKPosts: 2,035Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Saio3
    So if he's like anyone else... where are your 500+ videos about videogames posted? Where is your 500+ px gaming  community?

Because he spend so much time making video's, my guess is that I spend more time actually playing the games. So yes he might have 500+ video's, running a community and have loads of views. That however does not make him a bigger (or lesser) "authority" on video games. That also does not make his opinions more valid then mine. 

I think that is also what that person means. So in that regard he is like anyone else, simply giving his opinion about it. It might concern Zenimax, but it should not change our minds more then a review done by someone who has only 10.000 views. 

• RaellnRaelln CHERRYVILLE, MOPosts: 67Member
    Originally posted by Coman
    So if he's like anyone else... where are your 500+ videos about videogames posted? Where is your 500+ px gaming  community?

Because he spend so much time making video's, my guess is that I spend more time actually playing the games. So yes he might have 500+ video's, running a community and have loads of views. That however does not make him a bigger (or lesser) "authority" on video games. That also does not make his opinions more valid then mine. 

I think that is also what that person means. So in that regard he is like anyone else, simply giving his opinion about it. It might concern Zenimax, but it should not change our minds more then a review done by someone who has only 10.000 views. 

You shouldn't have to play a game for 100+ hours just to get a feel for whether you will like it or not.

I've only watched one Angry Joe video (this ESO video) but I have heard of him before. Youtube personalities that do game reviews don't reach any type of "respected" status by being wildly wrong - viewers would quickly dismiss them as being hacks. That is obviously not what is going on with AJ though - he is respected - demonstrated by a great number of people following his channel.

Sadly, my time in the beta completely agrees with the jist of his review video. ESO is a prime example of making awesome cinematics but failing to make a game of the same quality.

Perhaps ESO would be much better if they hadn't dumped so much money into making those awesome cinematics and instead focused on making a game they could be proud of?

• LordZeikLordZeik mushu pork, NJPosts: 269Member Uncommon
    POE is as much of an mmorpg as d3 is... So, we can take that one out of the equation. Aside from one game you listed the rest are all obscure. I wonder why such obscure games don't get the kinda recognition that the games where people throw thousands of dollars into get like say a PWI game hmmm? Freeium as you call it hides tons of content behind pay gates. I don't see your big boy joe reviewing any of these games. Or doing reviews on how the cash shop in GW2 effected the economy of that game. [mod edit]
  • RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Raelln

You shouldn't have to play a game for 100+ hours just to get a feel for whether you will like it or not.

I've only watched one Angry Joe video (this ESO video) but I have heard of him before. Youtube personalities that do game reviews don't reach any type of "respected" status by being wildly wrong - viewers would quickly dismiss them as being hacks. That is obviously not what is going on with AJ though - he is respected - demonstrated by a great number of people following his channel.

Sadly, my time in the beta completely agrees with the jist of his review video. ESO is a prime example of making awesome cinematics but failing to make a game of the same quality.

Perhaps ESO would be much better if they hadn't dumped so much money into making those awesome cinematics and instead focused on making a game they could be proud of?

Yes, AJ is respected as demonstrated by a great number of people following his channel.

Therefore we can all agree that WoW is the best MMO as demonstrated by having the most subs.

Sorry I had to do it.

Originally posted by Rusque

Yes, AJ is respected as demonstrated by a great number of people following his channel.

Therefore we can all agree that WoW is the best MMO as demonstrated by having the most subs.

Sorry I had to do it.

Apples and oranges.

I did not say AJ was the best game reviewer. I didn't say he was always right. I said he was respected by the gaming community.

As for WoW, it's the elephant in the room that everything is compared to at some point. Best or not, it's had the most success for a sub-based game and what nearly every game developer (even single player) aspire to these days.

Shoot, you can't hardly even find a single-player game that hasn't inherited at least one thing WoW does - be it talent trees, UI setup or something.

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,952Member Uncommon

The guys an entertainer.  He showboats, he's good for a couple laugh's, power to him

I have to wonder how much of his review are of his own experience and thoughts and how much is from reading forums like this and just going with the flow.

Personally:  I cant take him as a serious game reviewer.

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

• askdabossaskdaboss LondonPosts: 631Member Common

Sorry I had to do it.

Any MMORPG (ESO included) would swap their current user base on the spot to be the "failure" WoW is.

The fact that ESO has less money and less players certainly doesn't make ESO better than WoW, and probably won't help the game in the long run either.

• greatskysgreatskys marlboroughPosts: 449Member

I think the rating is a bit on the low side . I'm enjoying it but he did make some good points . The thing that stands out about TESO for me is that it wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much criticism if had been buy to play and had charged for DLCS when they are available in the same way TSW does . For me theres enough there to keep me interested for at least 4 months as I'm planning on playing 3 characters one of each faction .

A lot will depend on what it has to offer after that but I doubt the developers will be able to put significant amounts of content out once every 6-8 weeks for me to be able to justify the subscription been value for money . I suspect I will probably end up playing it two or three months when theres a new patch . 

Its a shame because it really would have shone as a buy to play title instead of that they have got a lot animosity towards it . Partly because they released with a cash shop , partly because it is bugged ( but its not as bad as some I've seen ) , partly because theres mess ups like the recent banning of legitimate accounts without reimbursing them for the time lost and partly because they locked things like the imperials in the delux edition . 

Personally I would give it a 8 out of 10 for the game itself from what I have seen so far and a 5 out of 10 for how Zenimax have handled the launch and a 1 out of 10 for their customer relations.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member
    Originally posted by jircris
    Originally posted by Lazarus71
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by jircris
    hmm games out for 3 weeks...it has bugs thus is sucks? intresting i guess i been doing this wrong..you know giving mmos a couple months before saying they suck. oh well i learned something new! but back on topic, AJ's reviews are usually pointless and the ones who comment about how spot on he is are people who tend to follow him on YT. I have nothing against him or anyone else who writes reviews, but honestly give the game some time to get fixed. Don't make me bring up WoWs launch...and if you claim there was not THIS many issues for WoW...let me remind you for the first week not many people could log on due to crashing right as it was loading. Then there was dupeing that lasted 3 months, and also account security issues.. OH and gold sellers...lots of em....in fact i saw one on there a few days ago.

Much of the negative stuff he mentions in the review isn't due to bugs, it's just due to poor design.

The major two offenders being:

1.  RAMPANT boss camping is almost every single public dungeon which really kills the experience.

2.  Phasing preventing friends from grouping in a very large portion of the open world PvE.

I love the game and play it every day (for now) but there is no arguing the two points Creslin just mentioned. Number one is the worst issue for me personally. It has taken the joy out of all the public boss fights and public dungeons with boss spawns. There are either

A. 5-6 bots standing there ready to instantly kill the boss

B. A group of 5-10 other players ready to burn the spawn down in a millisecond

C. A combo of A and B.

This takes the thrill, excitement and challenge out of these encounters and kills one of my favorite parts of the game.

The bots are here due to a lovely little thing called free 30 days, get rid of that and bots have to pay monthly..wont stop them sadly due to the fact people will all ways buy from them. And if you read the dev section on eso they are looking in to how monsters spawn including bosses and seeing if they cant implement a way to at least make it harder for bots to continue their rampage. It still boils down to the game is new and will need to be "fixed" over time. changes made to spawns and such, maybe even adding extra anti bot things.

But the 30 days aren't free...

The 30 days actually cost $60, the full box price of the game.  So really, you pay $60 for the first month, and $15 for every subsequent month.

Why would a botter be willing to pay $60 a month but not $15 a month???

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,231Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by laserit

The guys an entertainer.  He showboats, he's good for a couple laugh's, power to him

I have to wonder how much of his review are of his own experience and thoughts and how much is from reading forums like this and just going with the flow.

I understand how you feel towards AJ and I do agree to an extent that he is an entertainer. However he does have footage of him actually playing the game when he showcases bugs/glitches or points that hes trying to make. I think it is a little unrealistic to assume that he goes through forums for a generic opinion of the game. Hes a good reviewer if you listen to the core of his review and try to block out the necessary fluff.

Sorry I had to do it.

Apples and oranges.

I did not say AJ was the best game reviewer. I didn't say he was always right. I said he was respected by the gaming community.

As for WoW, it's the elephant in the room that everything is compared to at some point. Best or not, it's had the most success for a sub-based game and what nearly every game developer (even single player) aspire to these days.

Shoot, you can't hardly even find a single-player game that hasn't inherited at least one thing WoW does - be it talent trees, UI setup or something.

Right, you said having a lot of followers means he's respected. That's a false equivalency which is why I brought up the WoW false equivalency. Having a lot of followers means he's entertaining. Whether or not those people value his reviews and make decisions based on them because they respect him and his review is another matter.

I remember Joe's reaction to the Xbone, it was over the top, but it was humorous. Sometimes he's funny, most of the time he's douchey because he lacks finesse and knowing when to stop telling the joke. He let things drag on because he wants to prove a point, so his delivery is a bit one-note and simplistic. See that Zero Sum review for someone who deliver a much more scathing overview of the ESO and MMO genre as a whole, but does it in 5 minutes vs Joe's 40 (this might be because Joe spent 8 minutes talking about bugs).

Originally posted by askdaboss

Sorry I had to do it.

Any MMORPG (ESO included) would swap their current user base on the spot to be the "failure" WoW is.

The fact that ESO has less money and less players certainly doesn't make ESO better than WoW, and probably won't help the game in the long run either.

The point.

You.

• TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kishe
    Angry Joe is just a lum the mad wannabe.

Not certain many posters here even know who you are referencing.   Also, Lum made his name off primarily one particular game.    Same for Tweety.   Both of whom went to work at Mythic, eventually.    As for AJ, he does lots of reviews on many games, across all platforms.    Lum might have had his day, but he is no Angry Joe...Lum would have killed to have the following AJ has.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,180Member Uncommon
    I like how Joe tells it like it is, he doesnt sugar coat anything. he is like the fanboys worst nightmare. he doesnt sell hopes and dreams, if somthing is broken or stupid he says it. he doesnt make excuses for it.
  • jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    I like how Joe tells it like it is, he doesnt sugar coat anything. he is like the fanboys worst nightmare. he doesnt sell hopes and dreams, if somthing is broken or stupid he says it. he doesnt make excuses for it.

This is why I look for AJ (or Totalbiscuit) opinion before I buy a game. I don't always agree with AJ's opinion but I can see the logic and understand them since he gives me the raw stuff and I can form my own opinion around it.

Disclosure: I am skipping ESO (had it preordered but canceled after the imperial stuff) till F2P

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• LookwhostalkingLookwhostalking Indiana, KSPosts: 63Member
    Almost 500k views...Good Job!

Right, you said having a lot of followers means he's respected. That's a false equivalency which is why I brought up the WoW false equivalency. Having a lot of followers means he's entertaining. Whether or not those people value his reviews and make decisions based on them because they respect him and his review is another matter.

I remember Joe's reaction to the Xbone, it was over the top, but it was humorous. Sometimes he's funny, most of the time he's douchey because he lacks finesse and knowing when to stop telling the joke. He let things drag on because he wants to prove a point, so his delivery is a bit one-note and simplistic. See that Zero Sum review for someone who deliver a much more scathing overview of the ESO and MMO genre as a whole, but does it in 5 minutes vs Joe's 40 (this might be because Joe spent 8 minutes talking about bugs).

You just did the exact same thing by insinuating that people only follow him because he's entertaining. You have no way to prove that - anymore than I can prove that 1.5 million followers respect him.

At best, there are obviously multiple reasons why people follow him.

• mayankingmayanking south houston, TXPosts: 162Member Uncommon
    after watching it i'm going to wait till its f2p only pvp looks decent/.
  • dumbo11dumbo11 GuildfordPosts: 134Member

I've watched a few of Angry Joe's videos, and I can't say I really disagree with him, although I'd have given it a 7-8/10.

- the horse comments are complete nonsense.  You don't actually need a horse in PvP (get the assault buff), the 42k horse isn't really much better than the 17k horse, and 17k is not a lot of money in the end-game (my last inventory upgrade was ~12k - and I'm only V1)

- personally I do consider the game fun, and don't consider many of the quests yawn inducing.

Having said that:

- the boss camping has been a huge mistake by zenimax.  It was obvious this was going to happen, and obvious that it was happening.

- ditto the various dupe bugs.

- "semi-private instances" are a mixed bag.  People that want to group, struggle.  People that don't want to group find an awkward system that doesn't quite work.  (the game does not have any concept of scaling whatsoever.... you vs boss = hard, you+him vs boss = lol, you+6 vs boss = /yawn).

- the amount of XP is "too tight".  Personally, I haven't struggled, but it feels like they missed the mark with this.

There are also 2 things are generally stupid:

- it is better to find a dungeon filled with bookshelves than a dungeon filled with chests.  (chests = green junk, bookshelves = chance of skillup for enchanting).

- the most traded commodity in the game (motifs) are found by randomly searching NPC houses.  (every house you go into, in every zone, will have all the drawers/cupboards/trunks lying opened).

I'd say that the problems ESO has, are problems that would be far easier to solve if the game hadn't been released.

• AsariashaAsariasha Somewhere inPosts: 218Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jpnz

This is why I look for AJ (or Totalbiscuit) opinion before I buy a game. I don't always agree with AJ's opinion but I can see the logic and understand them since he gives me the raw stuff and I can form my own opinion around it.

Disclosure: I am skipping ESO (had it preordered but canceled after the imperial stuff) till F2P

Did you know that an independent opinion usually is formed by your very own experiences about something?

Taking Angry Joes review and using it to form your own opinion actually means only one thing. Your thought own opinion is nothing but a modification of Angry Joes opinion.

Internet services such as YouTube provide us with a lot of freedom. Unfortunately, it also provides a platform for people who like to show themselves and spread their opinion in an influential yet entertaining manner lacking the very basics of professional journalism.

In my opinion his YouTube contributions are like articles in the New York Post or other yellow press formats. They are big, they are loud, they are attention whoring and their sole purpose aims towards increasing ad impressions.

Congrats!

Originally posted by Asariasha
    Originally posted by jpnz

Did you know that an independent opinion usually is formed by your very own experiences about something?

Taking Angry Joes review and using it to form your own opinion actually means only one thing. Your thought own opinion is nothing but a modification of Angry Joes opinion.

Internet services such as YouTube provide us with a lot of freedom. Unfortunately, it also provides a platform for people who like to show themselves and spread their opinion in an influential yet entertaining manner lacking the very basics of professional journalism.

In my opinion his YouTube contributions are like articles in the New York Post or other yellow press formats. They are big, they are loud, they are attention whoring and their sole purpose aims towards increasing ad impressions.

Congrats!

So many posts like these stating that AJ's review is just "attention whoring" to get ad revenue.  I have to ask...did you even watch the review?

His review actually points out SEVERAL things that are wrong with the game at both a design and polish level, with video evidence.  It's not like his opinion is unfounded.  You may disagree with this final score, but calling his review just "attention whoring" is kind of ridiculous.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member
    Originally posted by laserit

It doesn't matter that he's an entertainer, he played the game and found some serious flaws in it, not meeting the MMO standards he set for himself. He shows the game footage, the bugs the mechanics that fail, that's not from other people's opinions read on a forum somewhere. Just look at what he shows, his rating is his own.

He doesn't need to be a "serious game reviewer" to have a point, several points actually.

imageimage
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Tijeras, NMPosts: 506Member Uncommon
    (..)

Because a professional reviewer should  review the released product and not the beta product.

^

So many posts like these stating that AJ's review is just "attention whoring" to get ad revenue.  I have to ask...did you even watch the review?

His review actually points out SEVERAL things that are wrong with the game at both a design and polish level, with video evidence.  It's not like his opinion is unfounded.  You may disagree with this final score, but calling his review just "attention whoring" is kind of ridiculous.

His video evidence is cherry picked to back his points.

To showcase how boring the questing is, he shows a quest where you interact with something and acts appalled that there wasn't a big ado about it and another where a ship is set on fire and he and his gf spend a minute just saying, "oh . . . wow. . . so impressive."

That's like recording footage of mining an asteroid for 15 minutes in EVE and then just sitting there talking about how incredibly boring it is.

It's one thing to highlight what's wrong with a game, it's another to present something as unique to this game when it exists in 100% of other games. You can easily go pick up any game, find boring stuff and film it.

Name your favorite MMO, are you saying that you can't just find fairly mundane quests there or is everything constantly amazing and interesting? That's the problem Joe has, he's disingenuous in order to support his points. He gives 10/10 to GW2 but does he show the quest where you feed cows? "oooh look, I just fed this cow, how exciting." There's a ton of quests in GW2 which involve you planting something in the ground or picking something up and all that happens is your orange bar fills up.

WoW is littered with quests in which you pick up sparkly things on the ground, sometimes it's poop, sometimes it's "fallen soldiers sword", etc.

No one looks at Skyrim and records the quests that have you walk from one npc in town to another npc in town and then make comments about how drab the questing is. But for ESO, apparently it's being honest.

• NasherUKNasherUK Secret cavePosts: 476Member Common

Angry Joe reviews are usually more trustworthy. He also plays the games extensively unlike most of the big reviewers. With ESO his review is pretty accurate tbh.

ESO is a below average MMO, that much is pretty clear for anyone who has played other MMOs. Skyrim or Oblivion with a multiplayer mod would be a far superior game.

His video evidence is cherry picked to back his points.

To showcase how boring the questing is, he shows a quest where you interact with something and acts appalled that there wasn't a big ado about it and another where a ship is set on fire and he and his gf spend a minute just saying, "oh . . . wow. . . so impressive."

That's like recording footage of mining an asteroid for 15 minutes in EVE and then just sitting there talking about how incredibly boring it is.

It's one thing to highlight what's wrong with a game, it's another to present something as unique to this game when it exists in 100% of other games. You can easily go pick up any game, find boring stuff and film it.

Name your favorite MMO, are you saying that you can't just find fairly mundane quests there or is everything constantly amazing and interesting? That's the problem Joe has, he's disingenuous in order to support his points. He gives 10/10 to GW2 but does he show the quest where you feed cows? "oooh look, I just fed this cow, how exciting." There's a ton of quests in GW2 which involve you planting something in the ground or picking something up and all that happens is your orange bar fills up.

WoW is littered with quests in which you pick up sparkly things on the ground, sometimes it's poop, sometimes it's "fallen soldiers sword", etc.

No one looks at Skyrim and records the quests that have you walk from one npc in town to another npc in town and then make comments about how drab the questing is. But for ESO, apparently it's being honest.

I get what you're saying.  Of course every game has boring, broken, or badly designed stuff in it somewhere.  The key is...does this bad stuff make up a large enough amount of the game experience to make the game worse.

And honestly, with ESO I think the answer is definitely, yes it does.  And all Joe's video evidence does is point out specific instances of these problems that are WAY bigger than what one video can show.  For example...

I don't think I've encountered any boss in a public dungeon that was not camped by bots and players. 

The poorly designed phasing that stops grouping in open world PvE is EVERYWHERE.

There are SOOO many broken quests, many of which stop progression through a major questline.  Like the stupid "find the assassins on the ship" quest in Daggerfall.  I spent like 30 min looking for them in both release and beta and never found them.  In fact, another YouTube gamer, Force, who actually really likes this game can't progress past VR6 because a bug literally halts his progression cold.

etc. etc. 

This discussion has been closed.