Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can only use 5 skills at a time

dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
What??? Only 5 buttons on the ability bar. Don't understand why they implemented this.

Comments

• ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219

I think its annoying too and I don't fully understand why they did it this way.

All I have heard is that they wanted to minimize what you see on the screen for deeper immersion.

That kind of makes sense but I would still prefer more.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Limited still sets for action games is all the rage. To be fair, after 15, you can swap weapons IN combat so  you do have access to 10 stills total plus two attacks from your left and right mouse buttons. Personally I prefer a few more options but it is not bad.

The design idea behind a limited skill set is that you can put choice into the build by only allowing a few skills to be used at a time while still allowing people to be able to obtain access to very large repertoire of skills. So you allow for a very flexible system that still limits character from being over powered and forces role choices. Otherwise it would devolve into building the one perfect build that can fill every role on the fly.

All die, so die well.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Two Words: Game Console

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

How many buttons would you want?

Would you be happier if the game had 100 skills and the entire screen was full of buttons to press but totally obscured the actual game?

It is what it is. Either get on playing it or don't. You can have 12 skills at any time, if you are not happy with that then the game is not for you.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by JeroKane

One word:  ^This^

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    RPGs are getting dumbed down just like people
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by dbgager
    What??? Only 5 buttons on the ability bar. Don't understand why they implemented this.

I dunno.. on console Skyrim has.. 2? Including consumables. Plus, you need to bind weapon swaps to these.

On PC Skyrim has.. 8.. possible key binds. Including consumables. Plus, you need to bind weapon swaps to these. 9 if you include the shout.

Oh.. and ESO has 6 (not 5), per weapon swap.. totalling 12. Weapon swap does not take up at a hotkey.

ESO has 7 per weapon swap, if you include the consumables.. totalling 14. Weapon swap does not take up a hotkey.

Conclusion? Most hotkeys of any elder scrolls game.. ever.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Console controllers only have a few buttons, so that's how many skills you get.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by rodingo

One word:  ^This^

I dont' really see it much.

Gamepads have 12 buttons, couting arrows. ESO buttons:

1- for main attack

1- block

5- skills

1- ultimate

1- swap weapon set

9 buttons total, not taking into consideration the dodge and tab target button. But yeah, i'd prefer maybe 2 or 3 more. However, the combat system is what matters in the end. Personally, i feel ESO's combat, despite the animations, was quite good and engaging from my beta experience. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Welcome to weeks ago.  Please feel free to look up one of the many, many lengthy threads devoted to this dead horse.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

ESO has a pretty deep combat system. But if you look at just the hotbar you will miss it.

5 regular skills

1 ultimate skill

light attack

heavy attack

block

interrupt

dodge

stealth

*quickslot

weapon swap which opens up another hotbar with 5 skills + 1 ult.

But the depth comes from how you create your class and how various skills and their morphs interact with each other and with other people in your group. The limited bar offers a very low barrier to entry, so if you're not a very capable player, you aren't left struggling, but the skill cap is very high and the more time you dedicate to your build and learning the intricacies of combat, the more you're rewarded with a great gameplay experience. Reminds me of GW1 and their MTG inspired class building system.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

First, please count next time.

ESO has:

1 consumable

5 regular skills

1 ultimate

not to mention the mouse skills which make a pretty significant difference in combat (light attack, heavy attack, block, bash, CC break) as well as the sneak & dodge skills.

This also ignores the fact that everyone (at minimum) gets double this from weapon swap. Or if you're a sorcerer (using Overload) you get a 3rd action bar, effectively trippling your base skillset. All of which can be rotated in the middle of combat.

- Some will claim the reasoning behind this is 'consoles', and for certain other games they might be right. However there is no design plan mentioned atm to port ESO for consoles. In fact they have said the exact opposite, even going as far as to deny controller support (though you can still find ways to play it on a controller from you're PC if you know what you're doing).

The reality of the limited skillbar isn't some mass conspiracy to make more console games. In fact this mentallity actually originated from PC games. You can look at any MOBA and see the limited skill bar. Inspite none of them being available on console. It's because the few games that have massive skill bars (almost all of them being MMOs) do not benefit from their complexity. The UIs tend to be cumbersome and clunky, and this makes it harder for players to get into such games. As others have stated in the past, having the 100+ skills that games like WoW / EQ had did not make the game any more strategic or complex. Many of those skills were redundant, and most were situational at best, leaving only a small selection of skills that actually got used on a regular basis.

Games like Guild Wars 1, CoX, etc. have shown us that you can have a limited skill bar, but still have a ton of strategy and complex combat. It all comes down to how well designed the skills are, and how much depth the combat has, rather than how many buttons you can fit on a bar, or how many UI bars you can put on a screen.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Try sorcerer or mage or whatever it was with 2 pets,then you have 3 button combat.

Ps.I bet that GW3 is going to have 1 button combat and that 1 button is going to do snare,root,aoe,DoT,freeze,kill and death.

and people are going to call it revolutionary.

Pss.I also bet that Zenimax is going to revamp their combat at some point (hear my prayer Crom!)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185

They did it this way so they could cater for the console market. Publishers are only interested in $$$ not whether the game is dumbed down to hello kitty level. The next "evolution" in MMO gaming will be even simpler so ppl can play on their mobile devices because that's where the next round of $$$ is.

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by aesperus

- Some will claim the reasoning behind this is 'consoles', and for certain other games they might be right. However there is no design plan mentioned atm to port ESO for consoles. In fact they have said the exact opposite, even going as far as to deny controller support (though you can still find ways to play it on a controller from you're PC if you know what you're doing).

Its releasing to PS4 and Xbox One in June 2014.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Light attack, Heavy attack, Block, 5 skills x 2, Ultimate x 2, Weapon Switch, "Usable" wheel for 12 or so items such as potions, Dodge, Sprint, Sneak, Synergies, interrupt.

That's at least 16 keybindings and 12 assignable skills to juggle (excluding movement and jumping) for your every day combat.

You can also do different combo's and synergies. For example, if you block a heavy attack your opponent becomes disoriented, you can now fire your own heavy attack which will cause a knockdown. Some skills also give Synergy skills to your allies which they can activate, you can for example use a ground effect that slows/mitigates damage/does damage while also giving allies in the area a skill that makes them invisible and heals (this skill can also be morphed so 2 people with that skill could have different effects). And other synergies such as one skill affecting another.

There is loads of complexity and fun here. Personally i would have wanted 1 or 2 more skills per weapon set, but it works pretty well as it is.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Fewer active skills = dumbed down... >.>

Are you guys also complaining about how you have to chose which morph you go with and how come you can't have them all?

It's called "making choices". That game with the 200 skills is ----->. Let me know if you actually have more than 5 in your main rotation, and the other 195 are skills you use once/week to once/month.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

This was actually answered by the studio themselves.  It has been answered in ever thread that has come up with this.  The developer stated they didn't want you playing the UI they wanted you looking at the game.  With games with tons of hotbars you end up looking at the hotbar most of the time instead of the game surrounding you.  Then you need macros so you can cast this before that etc... 

I am not totally happy with the system either but it is the way things are going.  I would like a few more to choose from  for class skills but I will take what I can get.  It also makes games easier to cross platform and already stated 100's of times.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I initially disliked this, but I've come to appreciate it quite a bit.  You make interesting choices and can construct a variety of viable builds.  In the limit of 96 keys you end up with specialized builds, such that a true "healer" class has a lock on healing.  This just isn't so in ESO.  And - let's be honest - most of those 96 keys in most MMOs end up being slight variations on the same theme or specialized gimmicks.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Umm,..you might want to look here.  To the left of the elf woman's face, and below the picture of the retail box.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The console release is in June I believe.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by timtrack

Light attack, Heavy attack, Block, 5 skills x 2, Ultimate x 2, Weapon Switch, "Usable" wheel for 12 or so items such as potions, Dodge, Sprint, Sneak, Synergies, interrupt.

That's at least 16 keybindings and 12 assignable skills to juggle (excluding movement and jumping) for your every day combat.

You can also do different combo's and synergies. For example, if you block a heavy attack your opponent becomes disoriented, you can now fire your own heavy attack which will cause a knockdown. Some skills also give Synergy skills to your allies which they can activate, you can for example use a ground effect that slows/mitigates damage/does damage while also giving allies in the area a skill that makes them invisible and heals (this skill can also be morphed so 2 people with that skill could have different effects). And other synergies such as one skill affecting another.

There is loads of complexity and fun here. Personally i would have wanted 1 or 2 more skills per weapon set, but it works pretty well as it is.

In my case, weapon switch is unreliable, gotten me killed on several occasions, and I have no clue how to really "use" the wheel, heck, even pressing the Q key doesn't actually seem to trigger the potion I put in the slot half the time.

Definitely a limited interface, but I'm adapting the best that I can.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Limited skills does not equate to limited depth in combat.

Just as simply having 3 rows of 15 skills does not equate to combat depth.

Mobility is key, imo, in ESO

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

FFXIV would like to have a few words with you.

Omg guys, this thread again... It's not because of consoles, it's for balancing, you are being forced into a more specific role instead of just getting all the utilities yourself and being self suficient.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by timtrack

In my case, weapon switch is unreliable, gotten me killed on several occasions, and I have no clue how to really "use" the wheel, heck, even pressing the Q key doesn't actually seem to trigger the potion I put in the slot half the time.

Definitely a limited interface, but I'm adapting the best that I can.

This game is extremely susceptible to lag.

You get some lag and "you're gonna have a bad time".

I've had those issues as well. I've now worked "a beat" into my mindset whenever I switch weapons. Essentially "press, small pause, now I"m good to go" as opposed to "omg I need to switch now" and then spamming hte button which then just lags and switches back and forth several times.

It's a pain but it is what it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo