Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: It’s Raining, But the Sky Isn’t Falling

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The sky is falling. Or it isn’t. Depending who you talk to about The Elder Scrolls Online lately, you might get one or the other of those two responses. The game’s first month has been plagued by a few limited, yet sometimes significant exploits and bugs. These have resulted in criticism toward Zenimax, especially when taken in conjunction with things like a payment mistake that resulted in people being charged upfront by surprise when activating their games to get their included first 30 days, and accidental ban sweeps that affected those found to have done no wrong. 

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Elder Scrolls Online: It's Raining But the Sky Isn't Falling.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I am having more fun with this MMO than I think I've ever had with another themepark.

Joined - July 2004

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Be reasonable with support? NEVER. 

Patience is not allowed in MMOs

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Game has much bigger issues than bugs - the grind in Veteran Ranks is brutal. and questing in Veteran Ranks... well to put it bluntly, sucks.

For the most part, I disagree regarding questing.  There have been a few challenges - a quest I was stuck on because no one else was doing it and it took 15 minutes to reach a boss I couldn't seem to beat alone chief among them - but questing is otherwise just as easy as it's always been.  I know a lot of people are saying that it's impossible to take on more than one regular mob at a time, but I don't have those problems, and don't know what they're talking about (sometimes 3 mobs sucks, and the delays in healing skills and abilities going off after I've already died really sucks, but that'll get fixed, I'm sure).  The only thing I could ask for is a 3rd skill switch setup, with the ability to maintain weapons, and if I'd get off my rear and install an addon I could have that functionality without it (It's really kinda critical to be able to go between ST and AOE skills quickly).

So all in all, a few minor issues that have caused me, at times, extreme frustration, but compared to other games, it's not really that bad. 

(p.s. Zenimax, I'd really like a much longer-lasting stealth.  Kthxbye)

• WingedNazgulWingedNazgul Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I really feel like I'm in an extended Beta for the console release.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    This entire game has brought about expectations that they just are not meeting. Now that you mention sub fees, there are expectations when you pay a sub fee, part of those expectations is a more personal experience with reference to customer service, not a sweeping ban hammer that kills the innocent people as well. How about those greedy bastards use some of that sub fee money to assemble a real support group? If not then what's the freaking sub fee for?
  • StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Bots and gold spammers are taking me back to Lineage 2 days. It's that bad.
  • elcristelcrist Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I have my doubts about ESOs longevity. For example I mainly do pvp and It's already starting to bore me. There is not much incentive to fight. AP are all about how much you play not how you perform. So yeah...no high hopes for this one.
  • BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Although I knew there was a lot of bugs and mixed feelings about the game I decided to buy it (Imperial Edition) just to get a feeling of it. I like to try out new MMOs to see if they are any fun.

Short story even shorter, I played to about lvl 6 and was utterly bored by the game design. The graphics were overall pretty good, but the character animations and anatomy was dreadful. The combat was somewhat reminiscent of Age of Conan but I never felt the adrenaline pumping or excitement of advancing a skill or level. I am no doubt a jaded old MMO  gamer (started in 2000 with Asheron's Call 1) but I feel there just isnt any SOUL in the games any more. Even World of Warcraft had more soul than ESO.

And seriously...who decided to not have auction system in the game? Limited to guilds only? Utterly ridiculous. Whoever decided that should be fired and fired upon! This is 2014 here, hello? Where is the progress in the MMO genre? Too many large companies  trying to cash in on the big cashcow that appeared with WoW.

For an MMO gamer its about the fun and  the depth of the game. I found non of that in ESO, sorry.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

ESO has much bigger issue than bugs/exploits/rocky launch.... the grind in Veteran Ranks is brutal. and questing in Veteran Ranks... well to put it bluntly, sucks.

Also why should we forgive problems during launch?

Because many previous games had problems? To me that's not a valid excuse period.

1. You spend $60 - the game should work, the quests (especially MAIN quest) should work, the server shouldn't be down for 14 hours, bank slots deleted - this should not happen ever.

Mass bans (including players who never duped), then unbans of folks who duped too?

There are some things that are very hard to forgive.

I feel that Zenimax does not know and are not ready to host a AAA game - I am not going to give them another shot at this time.

I have no confidence in their ability to run an online game at this time. So I will play out my remaining 2 weeks but no sub from me.

Well said! Bunch of amateurs!

You forgot to mention, that they "ASK" People to send their account info and Security question IN email with help support requests!

Can't get any more idiotic than that. They appearently never heard of phishing scams either?

Next fiasco in line is tons of unaware people getting their accounts hacked.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Ive been fortunate not to run to many of these issues-had a smooth lauch over all.

but, unfortunately when iam blocked from progressing in main story (quests bugs-load in screensss etc..but i  prefer to say broken) it gets a bit frustrating its like reading a book with pages missing (in lamest terms).

and adding the old school social mmo mechanics it has-i wont call it groundbreaking.and with a sub fee to boot?..

I like the game(im level 35) ,i enjoy it- but once again the end game dosent really appeal to me nor the new content itll bring as gw2 did later in the game (living story).

so ESO will be getting 'time cards'  from me as ill keep an eye open for its progression in the coming year.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Engage damage control mode.

I guess this reminds me of GW2's launch, in that problems were there, but they were either classified by the proponents of the game as minor issues or things that were being worked on, or touted by the detractors as end-of-the-world, game breaking bugs that surely meant this game was going F2P, or whatever is next lower on the rungs of MMO greatness - presumably a full conversion to being browser-based or *gag* hand-held *shudder*.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Damage control. I hate paid comments.

This game is good but not "will pay a lot of money for it" good. F2P and sell mounts (as you already do for extra 20$) and the world will be in ballance. This way you are worse that swtor.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by JeroKane

ESO has much bigger issue than bugs/exploits/rocky launch.... the grind in Veteran Ranks is brutal. and questing in Veteran Ranks... well to put it bluntly, sucks.

Because many previous games had problems? To me that's not a valid excuse period.

1. You spend $60 - the game should work, the quests (especially MAIN quest) should work, the server shouldn't be down for 14 hours, bank slots deleted - this should not happen ever.

Mass bans (including players who never duped), then unbans of folks who duped too?

I feel that Zenimax does not know and are not ready to host a AAA game - I am not going to give them another shot at this time.

I have no confidence in their ability to run an online game at this time. So I will play out my remaining 2 weeks but no sub from me.

Well said! Bunch of amateurs!

You forgot to mention, that they "ASK" People to send their account info and Security question IN email with help support requests!

Can't get any more idiotic than that. They appearently never heard of phishing scams either?

Next fiasco in line is tons of unaware people getting their accounts hacked.

This is nearing the point or irrelevant these days. First off, every single time that you log in on a new computer it emails you a security code that you need to enter, so there are at least two points of failure. Someone would need to compromise both your game account and your email account and, if they do that, then your game account should probably be the least of your concerns. 

As far as "Because other games had issues" not being an excuse, it's not that a LIMITED number of games had issues, it's that, dare I say, EVERY SINGLE GAME has issues at launch. What are you basing your expectations on? Shit, even console games get launch day updates now! The fact is that online games have the ability to deliver swift changes and be responsive to big issues is a good thing. I don't want to be waiting 3, 4, 10 days for an update. I'd much rather them kill an issue on launch day than waiting and letting it get worse, or even worse than that, not addressing it at all. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

Does it have issues, yes.

Is it perfect, of course not.

Am I having fun, you bet.

Do I feel it is worth the price of admission, sure thing.

Is it for everyone, nope.

Will I continue to play while enjoying myself, you can count on it.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by reillan
    Game has much bigger issues than bugs - the grind in Veteran Ranks is brutal. and questing in Veteran Ranks... well to put it bluntly, sucks.

For the most part, I disagree regarding questing.  There have been a few challenges - a quest I was stuck on because no one else was doing it and it took 15 minutes to reach a boss I couldn't seem to beat alone chief among them - but questing is otherwise just as easy as it's always been.  I know a lot of people are saying that it's impossible to take on more than one regular mob at a time, but I don't have those problems, and don't know what they're talking about (sometimes 3 mobs sucks, and the delays in healing skills and abilities going off after I've already died really sucks, but that'll get fixed, I'm sure).  The only thing I could ask for is a 3rd skill switch setup, with the ability to maintain weapons, and if I'd get off my rear and install an addon I could have that functionality without it (It's really kinda critical to be able to go between ST and AOE skills quickly).

So all in all, a few minor issues that have caused me, at times, extreme frustration, but compared to other games, it's not really that bad. 

(p.s. Zenimax, I'd really like a much longer-lasting stealth.  Kthxbye)

Spot on and I agree.  I am VR5 through nothing but questing and the grind goes by pretty quick.  So far it is tuned nicely and not impossible at all.  Use the right skills and its doable.  I use Reaper's Mark which is very important for a Nightblade and can take on 3 sometimes 4 mobs just fine.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I can forgive bugs and exploits in a new MMO, most MMO's release with their fair share of them.  As long as they get quashed and the economy is fixed I can forgive them.

What I can't forgive is lack of innovation and bland gameplay.  While it is subjective and I freely admit it is my own opinion, at the end of the day my opinion is all that matters.  IMO the game could of been so much better.  From the combat to the world design.  From the density of explorable areas to an auction house.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• onemanwolfonemanwolf Member Posts: 20
    No Auction House I will cancel my sub if they do not a Auction House
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500

It seems every time I open anything to do with ESO and a few other games I always see the same poster saying the same things in ever post.  We don't need people opening every post they can find about a game saying they hate the game and it is unplayable.  Evidently some people have never ever played games at launch and expect a bug free game.

And if a person has something positive to say they get attacked by the same people over and over.

But here is the main problem with computer games.  No two computers are the same so it is impossible to code something to work on everything the first time you sit down and write code.  There are hundreds if not millions of different combinations of computers today.   It works fine on my system but not my friends but it is the same code, OMG the world is going to come to and end.

Yes this game has flaws but within the first 3 weeks almost all quest bugs have been fixed.  Completed all quest on AD side last week, yes all quest.   Customer service answers could be better but at least you get a blanket reply usually, better than some games.  This is a new studio that has a long way to go but hopefully will get better over time.

There hasn't been a single game that has been released in the last 15 years that hasn't been bugged at release.  Give me one that wasn't and I sure I will give you the bug it had.

So this poster has stated he won't give them another shot, OK don't that is your decision to make.  But don't go on ever thread just trying to bash a game that you have problems with.  Went through OP threads they are all the same.  Enough is enough already we get it you don't like the developer or game.  That is your opinion which is not wrong for you to have.  I enjoy the game and that is my opinion neither is wrong.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The whole fogive them for game issues thing started with payed reviewers doing that with Skyrim. So now they put out a bad mmo and your getting the same thing. You want honest reviews for this game, go to Amazon.com and read what people are saying about it. Don't get your reviews from mmo gaming sites. I just can't believe the excuses made for this game. And as far as longevity,i don't see this game being on top 2 months from now by reading whats being said. They should have stuck with the singleplayer TES games instead of trying to grab wow money.

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    The amount of people that rushed to take advantage of the two duping/hireling bugs meant there really had to be large scale bans. Particularly as the second involved Alt+F4ing out repeatedly and claiming disconnects.

Customer service is terrible though but in my experience that's true in the first month if every MMO.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185

It amazes me the lengths people go to in placating poor products or services. Yes bugs happen and people are accepting of them however we are in a different context now. Its 2014, this is a $200M+ capital project not an Indie start-up and its design isn't too different from many that came before it in fact most of it existed already. It should of been better quality and had better customer service. By bugs or poor service I mean exactly that not morons with stone age PC's or third world internet assuming the games the problem.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Despite of the bugs and problems they are having during launch....I´m having a great time playing TESO.

IK´m a veteran MMO player....so i´m used to cope with this kind of problems.

None of them are directly affecting my gameplay (except for Bots camping public dungeon bosses) so i´ll just keep on playing hoping for Zenimax to be able to solve them.

So far they have done a great work and even extended the trial time due to the continuos maintenances,so they still have my faith in them. Hope they can manage all this happening to build a better game for teh community.

TESO has a tremendous potential,and this is just the begining...

imageimageimage

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

I'm sorry, but no amount of customer service or CS discussion is going to change the minds of gamers with no patience or intelligence as to how it goes with MMO's and their companies. These types of gamers(especially console players) want it all and they want it now.

The best thing is most MMO's are becoming "niche" games and we're slowly weeding out these types of gamers and the veteran, mature players can settle in for some gaming greatness. Perhaps we won't have to listen to the "chicken littles" of the gaming world too much longer.

God knows, I'm waiting for that day...

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    Originally posted by Rhime

I'm sorry, but no amount of customer service or CS discussion is going to change the minds of gamers with no patience or intelligence as to how it goes with MMO's and their companies. These types of gamers(especially console players) want it all and they want it now.

The best thing is most MMO's are becoming "niche" games and we're slowly weeding out these types of gamers and the veteran, mature players can settle in for some gaming greatness. Perhaps we won't have to listen to the "chicken littles" of the gaming world too much longer.

God knows, I'm waiting for that day...

LOL you made my day!  That made me laugh, but it is so true.