Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    I have to agree, yes, the PvP kick a** and it worth the sub, is just epic from so many point of view, but the PvE at endgame is just bad.   
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Not really a huge fan of Angry Joe, but god damn did he get this review spot freakin on. 

I just wish none of it was true because I would love to play an Elder Scrolls MMO if it were executed properly.

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Not really a huge fan of Angry Joe, but god damn did he get this review spot freakin on. 

I just wish none of it was true because I would love to play an Elder Scrolls MMO if it were executed properly.

Yea I have to echo the same. I'm no Angry Joe fan boy or anything. I think I've watched maybe three of his reviews, including this one. His review on ESO pretty much sums up my exact same experience from months of beta access. I was pretty excited and ultimately let down by the likes of LOTRO and SWTOR, two games based off of other IP's that I love, but it pales in comparison to the overwhelming disappointment that is ESO for me. I'm glad some people are greatly enjoying the game; I just wish I could do the same. :(

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

-Its off topic but I am really wondering why many people are trying to equate 'not liking this game' to wanting a 'F2P game'?

It isnt the subscription that is the problem- I personally wont touch a F2P game and I think ESO is a sub par experience NOT WORTH a subscription. That does not mean that once it goes F2P I am going to be happy and play the game. Game will still be sub par in my eyes. That said, the sub for this game isnt worth it.

If a reviewer takes points away because it's not their preferred model I think it is relevant and based on what Angry Joe has said I think it's fair to say if ESO had been a F2P or B2P game it would have gotten a 7 or even 8 instead of a 5.  He's not the only one to have done this either and we see the specter of "value" thrown around against this game in a number of low score reviews that I think is nothing more than pissing and moaning over the sub model.  I'm not saying ESO doesn't have issues and it certainly isn't a 10/10 game but to reduce it's score because some reviewers prefer a different payment model shows just how screwed up the whole game reviewing space is to begin with.  Doubly so for these "professional" youtube reviewers.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

-Its off topic but I am really wondering why many people are trying to equate 'not liking this game' to wanting a 'F2P game'?

It isnt the subscription that is the problem- I personally wont touch a F2P game and I think ESO is a sub par experience NOT WORTH a subscription. That does not mean that once it goes F2P I am going to be happy and play the game. Game will still be sub par in my eyes. That said, the sub for this game isnt worth it.

If a reviewer takes points away because it's not their preferred model I think it is relevant and based on what Angry Joe has said I think it's fair to say if ESO had been a F2P or B2P game it would have gotten a 7 or even 8 instead of a 5.  He's not the only one to have done this either and we see the specter of "value" thrown around against this game in a number of low score reviews that I think is nothing more than pissing and moaning over the sub model.  I'm not saying ESO doesn't have issues and it certainly isn't a 10/10 game but to reduce it's score because some reviewers prefer a different payment model shows just how screwed up the whole game reviewing space is to begin with.

Ah- I see,

I didnt know he "took away a point" because it was a sub game. I thought he was just bitchigng about the sub not being worth it.

-Thanks.

Again, I cant watch the vid atm so I am just commenting second hand on what I am reading. =)

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Not sure I agreed with everything Joe had to say here, such as the grouping issue (super simple, you travel to player and done). However I think Joe's a bit over the top with anything he does. 

Shockingly, I feel IGN made the fairest review of ESO. 7.8-8 is exactly where I'd put it. Great fun if you acknowledge it's an MMO, just watch the bugs. Thankfully I haven't experienced ANY progress blocking bugs. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Moar61

Not sure I agreed with everything Joe had to say here, such as the grouping issue (super simple, you travel to player and done). However I think Joe's a bit over the top with anything he does. 

Shockingly, I feel IGN made the fairest review of ESO. 7.8-8 is exactly where I'd put it. Great fun if you acknowledge it's an MMO, just watch the bugs. Thankfully I haven't experienced ANY progress blocking bugs. 

Yea I really don't see how people are having trouble grouping. When my friends log on we are standing next to each other in about 5 seconds. Travel to player is a wonderful tool.

A lot of people seem to have ran into bugs that I haven't so I take my own words with a grain of salt, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MetricaMetrica Member CommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

PC gamer gave it 5/10 too.

In before how Angry Joe didn't get paid enough.

Has no integrity.

Just one mans opinion.

He didn't play it enough and is looking for attention

He played it wrong.

He is (X games) fanboy

Who is angry joe and why should i care?

Anyone can make youtube account and be a critic (well do it yourself then).

He has a moustache so his opinion is invalid.

And so on....

Did i miss anything?

PC Gamer gave the game a 6.8/10, FTFY. 

They also reviewed an MMO after less than thirty hours of play time.  

Am I the only person who understands that Angry Joe makes a living by being animated and dramatic???

Originally posted by Metrica

Has no integrity.

Just one mans opinion.

He played it wrong.

He is (X games) fanboy

And so on....

Did i miss anything?

Am I the only person who understands that Angry Joe makes a living by being animated and dramatic???

Nah a lot of us understand that he does the controversy stuff just for views and money. Pretty standard for those that market to the angry tween crowd.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    I'm guessing people are supposed to care about some guy named Angry Joe then?

I wonder how many of you take a similar stand for other forms of entertainment say movies or music for example.

Because i have feeling that the people who get so worked up over a review for a video game have on more than one ocassion relied on review of a product before spending their hard earned cash on it.

I for instance has no problem with reviews. They aren't meant to make you 'care' but serve as an opinion which could be on opposite spectrum of yours. 

I have no problem with reviews, I'm just curious who it is and why we should care. Seems like a sensationalist based off of his track record that reviews more to get a rise out of people than actually play and review the game.

Once again..you are not suppossed to care. So there is no why.

And yes every reviewer has his own style and this is his. Just like how Roger Ebert had his own when it came to reviewing movies.

Fair enough. I was mostly curious about how this thread got 19 pages of comments more than anything. Maybe I'm just out of the loop this time.

Becasue Angry Joe is actually a pretty big name in the video game online review world. You can love him or hate him, he still has a huge following.

Personally, I don't look at games the same way he does, so I really don't take too much of what he says to heart, but that's just me.

But it's the same situation where that well known beta tester up and quit ESO after nine hard months and we had 40 pages of people who didnt care. It seems the bigger someone's name is who claims "The baby's ugly" The more people care enough to say "who cares?"

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Yea I really don't see how people are having trouble grouping. When my friends log on we are standing next to each other in about 5 seconds. Travel to player is a wonderful tool.

A lot of people seem to have ran into bugs that I haven't so I take my own words with a grain of salt, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones!

The problem arises if you are not on the same quest / step as your group mates.

If you finish quest 1 and are phased because of it, your friend has to finish it before you can continue on together. Now, that's not on all quests, so the issue slightly exaggerated and if you're playing with someone like a gf/wife chances are you're questing together in a literal sense and will be on the same quest/step and won't experience this issue.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Metrica

Has no integrity.

Just one mans opinion.

He played it wrong.

He is (X games) fanboy

And so on....

Did i miss anything?

Would his review be more credible if he was called Care Bear Joe and acted like a wuss?

Or something like this ?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I'm not a big fan of angry joe and find him irritating at times but what he says is pretty much true. I find no immersion in the game and have to find a reason to play. It's just not that enjoyable and there are many things they did that I don't understand their reasons for doing it. I doubt I will be subbing passed the first month as I just do not want to log in and play.
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I wonder how many of you take a similar stand for other forms of entertainment say movies or music for example.

Because i have feeling that the people who get so worked up over a review for a video game have on more than one ocassion relied on review of a product before spending their hard earned cash on it.

I for instance has no problem with reviews. They aren't meant to make you 'care' but serve as an opinion which could be on opposite spectrum of yours. 

I have no problem with reviews, I'm just curious who it is and why we should care. Seems like a sensationalist based off of his track record that reviews more to get a rise out of people than actually play and review the game.

And yes every reviewer has his own style and this is his. Just like how Roger Ebert had his own when it came to reviewing movies.

Fair enough. I was mostly curious about how this thread got 19 pages of comments more than anything. Maybe I'm just out of the loop this time.

Becasue Angry Joe is actually a pretty big name in the video game online review world. You can love him or hate him, he still has a huge following.

Personally, I don't look at games the same way he does, so I really don't take too much of what he says to heart, but that's just me.

But it's the same situation where that well known beta tester up and quit ESO after nine hard months and we had 40 pages of people who didnt care. It seems the bigger someone's name is who claims "The baby's ugly" The more people care enough to say "who cares?"

Not a very big name if I have been playing online games for 15 years and I have never heard of him before today. Either way, it's just another sensationalist after watching some of his other videos.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I play ESO, I like it, it has potential, but Zenimax is doing everything in their power to make me hate the game. The quest bugs, the game breaking bugs, the loading screen foolishness, the horrid Guild AH, the wonky combat (due to whatever), the copy and pasted delves, the copy and pasted NPCs, the cheating, the bots, the shit GMs... Angry Joes review/reactions are spot on.

I didn't pay 60 bucks and potential subscription to be a "hater". The game needs tons of work... FAST. Not on some lazy trash every other week "dur when we get to it dude" schedule that Zenimax is on.  They need to do A LOT more and be A LOT more transparent about ESO.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Rusque

If you finish quest 1 and are phased because of it, your friend has to finish it before you can continue on together. Now, that's not on all quests, so the issue slightly exaggerated and if you're playing with someone like a gf/wife chances are you're questing together in a literal sense and will be on the same quest/step and won't experience this issue.

Not exactly true either. I do play with my wife and the problem we ran into on more than one occasion was phasing being buggy and when it is working correctly we are able to quest together until it does it again. The phasing became an issue when we would go in and out of places. Also if there was a quest giver that was running up to us, sometimes only one of us would see it and that also lead to grouping being an issue. And yes, this was not always resolved with the "simple" travel to player option. While these issues were not game breaking, they took away from the whole experience and deserve to be pointed out by someone especially in an MMORPG. It would be nice if this fix wasn't necessary. But I guess some consider this acceptable.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• LookwhostalkingLookwhostalking Member Posts: 63
    This guy has 200k views in less than a day! I think he might doing something right :)
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Not a very big name if I have been playing online games for 15 years and I have never heard of him before today. Either way, it's just another sensationalist after watching some of his other videos.

Your assessment of his style is pretty accurate. Again, I don't follow him, nor do I really hold much stock in his reviews typically. But that doesn't stop his word from kicking up s**t storms on forums.

Well he has a huge following and gets invited to every gaming convention and awarded all of the same privileges that game journalists are awarded. I am not sure how relevant your gaming experience is, but he hasn't been around for that long in any case. Just because you have never heard of him means absolutely nothing. I had never heard of Rome GA until I moved to Woodstock so does this mean that Rome didn't exist before then? His style can be annoying but his points are spot on.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Not exactly true either. I do play with my wife and the problem we ran into on more than one occasion was phasing being buggy and when it is working correctly we are able to quest together until it does it again. The phasing became an issue when we would go in and out of places. Also if there was a quest giver that was running up to us, sometimes only one of us would see it and that also lead to grouping being an issue. And yes, this was not always resolved with the "simple" travel to player option. While these issues were not game breaking, they took away from the whole experience and deserve to be pointed out by someone especially in an MMORPG. It would be nice if this fix wasn't necessary. But I guess some consider this acceptable.

I wouldn't consider that acceptable, I've just never experienced that. Though "travel to" doesn't move you to someone's phasel, it just puts you in the same server instance (i.e. Server 1, Server 2, Server 3).

I'd send the other stuff you describe in a bug report.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

It doesn't matter if anybody heard of Angry Joe or not.  You've heard of most of the things he's talking about for the most part which makes his review pretty on point. 

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

I wouldn't consider that acceptable, I've just never experienced that. Though "travel to" doesn't move you to someone's phasel, it just puts you in the same server instance (i.e. Server 1, Server 2, Server 3).

I'd send the other stuff you describe in a bug report.

Oh it has been reported and was also reported by me personally during beta. In any case it doesn't really matter all that much to me but I can see why AJ felt the need to comment on this aspect of the game was all. It's crap like this that makes the grouping aspect of ESO infuriating and annoying to the point that the wife has already stated she has no desire to continue. As someone who plays these games for the social portions, I have to agree.. We do not use the "travel to player" as a way to get around so I was aware that it is just used to link up on the same servers instance. As it is now we see white arrows in place of character models more often than we care to, which is never and this is especially true when we are already on the same instance and suddenly find ourselves separated upon entering or exiting a public dungeon.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

That was a long review. He brings up some points that I hadn't heard before. The PvE grouping mechanic is quite shocking for what is supposed to be an MMO. I can see why somebody who likes GW2 could easily dislike ESO quite a bit.

I think it helps prospective buyers see issues they wouldn't know about. It's informative, if opionated, then again, everybody is entitled to one, so why not Angry Joe? If you're considering buying ESO, that review if one you should see. You can put your own score on it, but it shows interesting things.

imageimage
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    I've seen multiple sources give low scores to the game for good reasons and I'm not feeling inclined to buy or even try out this one.  The over all vibe is that it only gets a good score if people forgive it's weak points.  Considering some of these said weak points have been present in the MMO genre for years, I'm definitely not inclined to forgive and forget anymore.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Great review from what i've heard . And i find it funny how alot of you are calling him a nobody and he sucks. But if he gave it a 10 you woulld be saying how spot on his reveiws are.  His reveiws always carry weight in the gaming industry whether you like it or not.
This discussion has been closed.