Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Dragon Age: Inquisition: Bioware Reveals the Inquisitor

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware’s Dragon Age: Inquisition is one of the games that sits squarely in the sights of any true RPG fan. As the third entry in the series, DA:I has been shrouded in a lot of mystery with only scant information being released over the last six or so months. However, with the approach of fall 2014 and Inquisition’s launch, Bioware is taking the wraps off the game and bit by bit letting fans in on some of what they will face. As part of that information dissemination, we had the opportunity to interview Creative Director Mike Laidlaw to find out more about the game’s protagonist, the Inquisitor.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Dragon Age: Inquisition - Bioware Reveals the Inquisitor.

image image

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

“We want players to confront how they will react if others looks at them as special or as a hero.” 

Haha, yeah because that is something completely new for gamers...

• LehoxLehox Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Madatan it is actually, nowadays you arent threated as a real hero as hero implies in games. You are some special guy with special properties... woooooo!
  • BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

From the minuscule amount of gameplay in the 'gameplay trailer' it looks like they are sticking with the DA2 style of action-combat...ah well, theres still Torment to look forward to!

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136

DA2, ME3 and swtor's memories doesn't allow me to get this game..

Sorry Bioware ,, i blame EA instead :P

R.I.P.

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by Boraell

From the minuscule amount of gameplay in the 'gameplay trailer' it looks like they are sticking with the DA2 style of action-combat...ah well, theres still Torment to look forward to!

This is something they stated/have shown they are addressing. Whilst the game can be played like DA2 with the action combat, they have re-implemented Top down tactical view, and want the combat to be able to be played either way or a mix of both. They are also removing health-regen to try and add a layer a difficulty on top to the combat.

Originally posted by Canibaloler

R.I.P.

As someone who was also badly burned with DA2 and the ME3 ending, I was and still am skeptical about DA3. However, I have done a decent amount of research on the title and it seems like they are trying to redeem themselves with this one.

All in all, whether or not they do is completely up to them. I can't say I am not glad to see race choice and tactical combat/view back. I like that they have stated they are going to put more emphasis on follower characters personalities and dialogue, as well as make the relationship system more in depth. I like that they stated they are not going to be doing DLC followers unless a request for it is made long after the games release. The new game systems do seem interesting.

Time will tell whether or not it turns out to be true, but they have peeked the interest of someone who wrote them off for DA2/ME3's ending.

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Domoto

This is something they stated/have shown they are addressing. Whilst the game can be played like DA2 with the action combat, they have re-implemented Top down tactical view, and want the combat to be able to be played either way or a mix of both. They are also removing health-regen to try and add a layer a difficulty on top to the combat.

R.I.P.

As someone who was also badly burned with DA2 and the ME3 ending, I was and still am skeptical about DA3. However, I have done a decent amount of research on the title and it seems like they are trying to redeem themselves with this one.

All in all, whether or not they do is completely up to them. I can't say I am not glad to see race choice and tactical combat/view back. I like that they have stated they are going to put more emphasis on follower characters personalities and dialogue, as well as make the relationship system more in depth. I like that they stated they are not going to be doing DLC followers unless a request for it is made long after the games release. The new game systems do seem interesting.

Time will tell whether or not it turns out to be true, but they have peeked the interest of someone who wrote them off for DA2/ME3's ending.

Oh, hadn't seen that part anywwhere, will keep a tentative eye on it in that case! Cheers!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I loved Dragon Age the first game but I have not played Dragon Age II ,it's like 2 pounds on Amazon. Is it worth getting it I watched Kevin Ord on Gamespot review but was not able to tell why everyone seems to dislike it. Is the action combat that bad I played Dragon Age as a rogue with poisons and stuff.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I loved Dragon Age the first game but I have not played Dragon Age II ,it's like 2 pounds on Amazon. Is it worth getting it I watched Kevin Ord on Gamespot review but was not able to tell why everyone seems to dislike it. Is the action combat that bad I played Dragon Age as a rogue with poisons and stuff.

I played through the game, and I definitely understand why it wasn't received well.

That being said, I did at least still enjoy my play through of it. It's not a DA:O experience, so know that going in. It does have some similarities, but it's not as fleshed out as DA:O was. It was clearly rushed to release and it shows when you play it. 

There is a finite number of areas and they get re-used a lot in the game. This stems from two reasons. One, the majority of the game centers around and takes place in a city, so there was only going to be so many different areas to begin with. The other being the rushed factor, as it still possible to have a decent amount, at least more than DA:2 had

The story was...alright. It had it's high points, but also had very low, lows. 

Customization is severely diminished in that they tried to make the DA series basically fantasy Mass Effect, so you play a pre established Human character, that you pick first name (so everyone can call you by your last name), class and dialogue is 3 options (nice guy, sarcastic guy, asshole guy). There are times where there are others depending on things you did or class/party members ect. The only thing you change on your followers was Weapons,belt, and amulet/rings and that's it.

The Romance game was basically a joke, say a few things and BAM! doing the no pants dance. 

Combat was changed to be faster and more action like and less tactical. Now this issue I am on the fence, as I loved the strategy of the first one, but did like the second one being a bit more exciting. Definitely understand those who hate it though.

In the end, I am not upset that I played through it, in fact I did it twice. I would say now that it's been reduced in price, give it a go, since 2 of the characters from 2 are returning in 3, and some stuff will make way more sense 

However, this is my opinion and I am sure I missed some reasons people disliked it, or liked it.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Thanks so much for that I appreciate the details and explanation.
    Chamber of Chains
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Will get this. Will play this. Will most likley enjoy this

/Someone who treated ME3 as the end... not the last five minutes of ME3.

This have been a good conversation

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

"While not as open world as Skyrim"

This is a typical mmorpg.com line, let's not upset BioWare lol. Fact is it's another linear rpg from the kings of linear rpg gaming. Pity mmorpg.com didn't give Dark Souls 2 as much of a write up as this game or Blizzards latest D series. 

Seems if it's not american then the game doesn't quite get the same cover. Sorry but there are better rpg devs about now, BioWare or EA BioWare have had their day where RPG are concerned.

Dark Souls 2 has more going for it and The Witcher 3 will be the final nail in the coffin for these boring RPG's coming from across EA BioWare.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This is a typical mmorpg.com line, let's not upset BioWare lol.  

As a matter of fact, this was a quote from Mike Laidlaw himself. Just FYI.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Not interested whatsoever. The first game did a lot of interesting things, but #2 and everything else BioWare has put out since has convinced me not to play their games going forward. 

EDIT: Also not an MMO, not even shoehorned multiplayer like ME3.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

All these mis-informed haters are going to feel dumb when the game comes out.  And you can play the game in isometric view too like in the first dragon age, its your choice.  On top of that, the devs said that the world is larger than both previous games combined and their inspiration for a open world was Skyrim.

But here is a more in depth video of gameplay.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

DA:I is a game that I'm 90% sure I'll enjoy. There are simply very few NWN / Baldur's Gate style tactical games out there (most are either turn-based, or fully focused on action).

Besides, DA:I is adressing most of my problems with DA2: there are again races, the world is larger and you visit a variety of locations etc.

While DA2 wasn't a great game (I'd rate it a 6/10) and the Dragon Age universe in general has some pretty generic concepts behind it, I'm tired as hell of the mindless haters who pop up constantly in every and any thread related to the franchise. There is seriously no other game I know that leads to such hate, even to the point where pre-release the /v/ boards were mobilised to spam the game's metacritic user reviews with 0/10's minutes after the thing came out.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Haven't played a decent SPRPG since Skyrim's release. DS2 was a let down. Dragon Age 2 was...Well I'm gonna be nice here and say it wasn't for me.

It's really hard to find a good RPG these days, really all we have left is the ES series and maybe Witcher.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• chareokchareok Member UncommonPosts: 9
    as long as its following on from da2 and i can punish the mages for what anders did i,m happy to play da:i 
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Well there it goes all the begining of the game spoiled.

• warriorpoet7warriorpoet7 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Much as I loved ME1 and 2 and DA:O ... I cannot bring myself to buy another EA game after what they have done in ME:3, DA2 and how their business models have destroyed companies like Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood ... EA needs to burn.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Can't wait to play this. It looks really good.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Domoto

R.I.P.

Oh, hadn't seen that part anywwhere, will keep a tentative eye on it in that case! Cheers!

Check your inbox.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This is a typical mmorpg.com line, let's not upset BioWare lol.  

As a matter of fact, this was a quote from Mike Laidlaw himself. Just FYI.

we dont need any more fucking MMORPG open worlld clones. That is the issue with modern RPG games...there all STRIVING to be like MMORPG games....and it KILLS them.....complealy and utterly kills them....i remember when i first plaed FF12 or 13 was it? The one where they introduced open world and targeting combat to the final fantasy single player....i was soo pissed off i immediatly returned the game and told the store cllerk "if i wanted a mmo feel i would buy a mmo..."

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Only rule I have to buying this game is if its sold on Steam or not. Not gonna purchase it through Origin.
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Having never played DA:2, I'm really looking forward to this as the sequel to one of my favourite RPGs. I'm pleased with what I've seen so far.
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Looking rather cool so far, much more expansive than the previous 2 games, which can only be a blessing. Wonder if they're good to hit their expected release date (seems odd to announce it 1 year ahead of time...).

Funny how many useless ranters this forum has ... and sad at the same time.