Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe Show 5/10

Comments

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Yeah, I find it hilarious he was just as fully strapped to the hype-train as anyone, then flew off the rails of reality.  Now, like many, he's having to change his premature review.  Honestly, I don't see why anyone gives his opinions any thought.  I've never been a fan.  Would rather read reviews and the like that involve a lot more critical thinking, not wishful thinking.  I know gamers as a whole are perhaps a bit to hard on games these days, but eh, can't help myself.  I'm just not much of an optimist in most cases.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Darkeon

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/21/the-elder-scrolls-online-review

here's another opinion  - 7.8

One that does an obvious tongue job to the game by neglecting the dupes to a large degree and merely mentions gamebreaking bugs. Nice.

Focusing on things like that are rather stupid as a reviewer to begin with. What happens when you go on and on about bugs, dupes, etc post your review and the very next day half of those things are fixed in a patch?

A good review focuses on the core gameplay & mechanics, features, etc. Not a bug or exploit that could be gone by the time anyone even notices your review.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

I've went from crazy hyped to very leary about ESO in the last 4 weeks. 

I was gonna pre order, glad I didn't . 

I was gonna buy it when I saw it 26 bucks on ebay, glad I didn't .

Now, the last 2 days has made up my mind. Nope, not gonna happen.

Good luck to you all who enjoy this game . :)

I'll be sticking with Guild Wars 2.

Thanks .

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I've been watching Angry Joe for couple of years now, and without defending ESO I must say he should stick with the CoD games as those seem to be his thing. I havent even seen this vid yet since I watch him only at work, but if the Wildstar video is any reference it's going to be bad, I dont think that the Wildstar video had any relevance to those who the game is made for.

Also his GW2 video shows his american stereotypical "WOOOOOHHHH YEEEEHAAA THE BIGGER THE BETTER HEEHAA" where GW2 gets always referenced as an awesome game since you kill a giant sized mob at lvl5 of every starting area. It does not matter that in fact it takes no effort, the giant mobs are a joke that goes down like basic mobs, and there's not even any reward, so I guess the only thing that matters is "HEEEEHAAAA LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING YYYEEEEHAHAAA" so yeah, I think his Titanfall and some random Batman game reviews has more relevance for the target audience >_>'

His videos can often be entertaining though even if I dont agree with him half the time, they can be absolutely retarted too, which is his thing and works quite alright for him :)

Dayumn, I think I have to watch this at home later today, getting awfully curious what he's screaming about as the end of the world this time, considering the score. Right now I'm personally having 8/10 good time in the game, but I havent done much yet so it could get down a bit in few weeks time, I doubt there's anything to get it higher.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/409766

Rusque you posted this there

Just in case you're like me and have been locked away (playing ESO) you may have missed the cinematics (in order):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq1o2VG1ogY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlFMSyIOk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4dDdw3GCo

Why is work a thing? I need to be home playing right now.

Why did you not put discuss in the thread content ? Was it necessary to give people the instruction to discuss the graphics or admire it ? Why aren't you taking your own advice on posting ?

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I pretty much agree with all of his talking points, not that it should be a shock to anyone.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Everything he says about the game is true no matter how much of a ES fan you are. He didn't even touch the problems that exist in PVP, they are many and gamebreaking.

Right now ESO is just a game to take a sunday walk watching the sights and hearing the quest dialogues. It's a very boring game, beautiful and boring. Like a gorgeous woman who has s##" for brains and is awful in bed.

I can see this becoming a good game eventually but they have so much work ahead of them that is quite doubtful they ll make it.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

In his review he mentions that there is multi classing as a good thing with customization. Except classes are locked and the only specialization is in armor types and weapon types.

I agree with score, but I would give a 6/10 and maybe even a 7/10 for personal reasons. However, I would not recommend the game to anyone. Its just a personal score for myself since I am kind of a masochist that I enjoy beating something that feels broken. Of course it takes a toll on my patience making me a worse person in real life by wearing out my patience... which is why I dont recommend it to others, and normally try do something else before I interact with other ppl to recalibrate my senses.

Issues with the game;

1. Bugged quests but most importantly the maing story quest restricting access to vr content

2. Expensive horse and little money made in game

3. Expensive to customize stats or skills

4. P2p but feels like f2p with expensive mount, and expensive customization

5. Bugged animations for combat and some abilities not working as intended.

6. Boss fights average without many mechanics, and sometimes instant kill randomly for no reason which make it bugged since instant deaths with 0 reaction time is not a possible mechanic to deal with

7. Reward and exploration, similar to bosses and boss fights, but also items and rewards are minimal

8. Variety - quests are straight forward and mostly simple fights, which is completely fine if it wasnt for the simple boss fights

9. Dupe bug ruining economy. I cant sell my items even though they are rare and well priced

10. Crafting requires too much exp to lvl for each category but is exploited with other crafters sharing or deconstructing others crafts. Which would not be so much of a problem, but making money is hard enough

11. Money sinks - Repair costs, repsec costs, feeding horse costs 

12. Limited content - Mostly Pve in questing and open world pvp, and pvp only in cyrodill - No duels, bounty system, player housing

13. Pvp - very simple pvp seiges and it might as well be instanced with a warzone of conquer this castle, but now in phase 2 of the instance defend this castle. The difference of it not being an instance is that in the  'open world' it takes longer and is a lot more disorganized with a lot of running times in between.

However, I did enjoy the questing and I did enjoy the challenge with the unbalanced combat but it was made more frustrating than enjoyable when I know others were playing better classes making it easier for them (instead of it being challenging as something intentional rather than something that was bugged and impossible in some cases) or others were in groups and aoe grinding reaching endgame much quicker.

End game is very simple and the hybrid of 'sand box' pvp and themepark gw2 pve is not well done. Its basicvally gw2 in an eso skin but a different art style. Gw2 has dynamic events, and might easier to lvl in compared to the 100s of hours required here for solo play to reach end game.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

i wonder why it even got 5/10. a below mediocre game with bad pvp should be more like 3/10.

though it's pretty hilarious that people don't see scams even if you rub the fact under their noses lol :D

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by kitarad

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/409766

Rusque you posted this there

Just in case you're like me and have been locked away (playing ESO) you may have missed the cinematics (in order):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq1o2VG1ogY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlFMSyIOk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4dDdw3GCo

Why is work a thing? I need to be home playing right now.

Why did you not put discuss in the thread content ? Was it necessary to give people the instruction to discuss the graphics or admire it ? Why aren't you taking your own advice on posting ?

You're right, cinematics are the same as reviews.

My opinion of the cinematics is that they were beautifully done, feel free to discuss.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    It's a fair review with a fair score, he put a lot of time in the game.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

One that does an obvious tongue job to the game by neglecting the dupes to a large degree and merely mentions gamebreaking bugs. Nice.

Focusing on things like that are rather stupid as a reviewer to begin with. What happens when you go on and on about bugs, dupes, etc post your review and the very next day half of those things are fixed in a patch?

A good review focuses on the core gameplay & mechanics, features, etc. Not a bug or exploit that could be gone by the time anyone even notices your review.

You heard it here folks reviews should focus on the positives and not the catastrophic negatives even though you could, you know, update the review or do a re-review later after the the bugs, dupes, crashes, etc, are fixed?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by nttajira

who this guy and why i should care ?

brb creating my youtube profile HAPPY man and give this game 8/10 when they fix the bugs....

will post there, wait for it !!

You really shouldn't care what he thinks about the game.  You would have to live in a YouTube gamer centric bubble to not know who he is.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    This thread is of course going to be one of the more popcorn worthy ones.

I can not see how anyone can disagree with him though. I find him annoying, he however usually is right. I find PvE very enjoyable, however I solo everything. They seem to have failed though with the grouping in PvE

Originally posted by nttajira

who this guy and why i should care ?

brb creating my youtube profile HAPPY man and give this game 8/10 when they fix the bugs....

will post there, wait for it !!

Makes me wonder what you do on a forum at all then. He is more well know then us, so if you do not care about his opinion one bit then why would you even care for ours? So the only reason you would be here is to drop your own opinion and assume we would care? 

Joe's okay I guess, he's like the polar opposite of someone like Totalbiscuit, (although with less credibility issues ala Magicka debacle), he tends to scream and shout a lot. Saying that, he isn't afraid of anyone and he is passionate without sometimes being logical in he's points. That has a place in the games industry, considering the fanbase.

I can't disagree with him on ESO though, there are so many faults designwise and actual bugs that it's probably the worst launch I've seen for a while. Makes SWTOR's launch look amazingly stable in comparison.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• 0Neo00Neo0 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Every one is entitled to there own opinion (even this Joe whoever he is) ,lol doesn't  mean I have to agree with it.

I am an old school gamer and a ES fan for many many years  and have to say I am loving the game so far, first mmo since vanguard I really look forward to logging in.

Yes there a few bugs which can be fixed atm just by reloging,give it a month or two and I am sure these bugs will be fixed.

The bots are not an issue for me as I have seen them in every mmo I have played since eq2,you learn to work with them :).

So yes I would give it an 7/10 atm ,maybe more in a few months time.

Finger crossed they keep it pay to play and keep the freeloaders (whingers) out.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

Rusque, you are the perfect example of why I don't regularly post on this site. Resorting to personal attacks because I posted a link to a review by a fairly popular reviewer? Really?

Let me clear it up for you. I am subscribed to Angry Joe's channel on YouTube, and I woke up this morning and saw he had uploaded his review of ESO, and so I checked it out. Later I went on MMORPG.com and browsed the forums a bit (which I still regularly do) and I noticed that no one had linked to Angry Joe's review, so I created a thread for it in the "Reviews & Impressions" sub-forum. I didn't add my opinion to the first post because the review has nothing to do with me other than me linking it.

That's all. Your "OP posted this thread with the intention of creating a flame war revolving around the value of Joe's review" comment just isn't true .

I'm not sure why you had such a hard time identifying what to discuss in a "Reviews & Impressions" sub-forum or how adding "Okay, discuss it." somehow resolves that confusion, but please keep the replies to discussing the review and not on me posting a review link in a review sub-forum

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Aodhan

Every one is entitled to there own opinion (even this Joe whoever he is) ,lol doesn't  mean I have to agree with it.

I am an old school gamer and a ES fan for many many years  and have to say I am loving the game so far, first mmo since vanguard I really look forward to logging in.

Yes there a few bugs which can be fixed atm just by reloging,give it a month or two and I am sure these bugs will be fixed.

The bots are not an issue for me as I have seen them in every mmo I have played since eq2,you learn to work with them :).

So yes I would give it an 7/10 atm ,maybe more in a few months time.

Finger crossed they keep it pay to play and keep the freeloaders (whingers) out.

I am crossing my fingers it does just so I can watch people like you be left without a game to play because "I have to leave now due to all the freeloaders ruining mah gaem!".

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    He hit on one of the big reasons my wife and I didnt buy this game. We play together and this game was not tested on how simple questing worked. Very sloppy. Nothing like being teamed and not being able to work together on the same quest because your phased, or you kill a boss together and it only counts for one of you so now my wife needs to kill a boss alone and I dont even see her or the boss. Often wondered why we even teamed together. 
  • LookwhostalkingLookwhostalking Member Posts: 63
    I dont like ESO and i would give it a 6/10 score, but if i liked it, i wouldn't care much about others reviews or opinions.
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
     A thread with a review that paints ESO in a somewhat negative light whether you agree or disagree is up to 15 pages now. While most threads that are positive about this game or any other often reach maybe 2-5 pages. Yep MMORPG.com lol....

No signature, I don't have a pen

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

You heard it here folks reviews should focus on the positives and not the catastrophic negatives even though you could, you know, update the review or do a re-review later after the the bugs, dupes, crashes, etc, are fixed?

Where did i say anything abut positives or  negatives? Any mechanics, features, design decisions, etc can be either positive or negative. Those are the things that are more likely to remain in the game as they are core aspects of the game, not bugs / issues that might be gone the next day.

It should focus on the core of the game. Is the PvE content good or bad? PvP? What sort of features and how are they implemented, and are they well done? How are the combat mechanics? How is the artwork, graphics, animations, etc?

That's the type of stuff that is going to make up the game for a long time and stay relevant to someone checking out the game. Not a bugged quest or exploit that was fixed weeks before reading it.

BTW, people generally don't just go back and do re-reviews and edits because there was a patch that fixed some bugs. Those are usually reserved for major content updates, expansions, or just because it's been a really long time and things have changed a lot over that time.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Gadareth

You know what we really need is someone to rate all these so called critics. I mean is Angry Joe actually someone who is qualified to offer a informed unbiased opinion relating to MMORPGs or is he a self important windbag with delusions of adequacy?

Then who will rate the raters who rate the critics who rate the games?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Okay, so I wasted my time to watch his review. Which, after watching confuses me even more as to how he gave it a 5.

8 minutes talking about bugs. Yes, it has bugs. They clearly did not impede his progress, nor his ability to spend time in Tamriel.

Complains about vast distances in the game world - Some might see this as a good thing . . . perhaps those people are known to have enjoyed Elder Scrolls games, though he doesn't point out that wayshrine to wayshrine travel is free which greatly reduces travel times!

Complains about the mount costing an “unreasonable amount of gold” (while still being in the first zone) and only you can ride your horse . . . - Yes, you shouldn't have the best mount in the game when you're level 12. If AJ designed an MMO, I don't think this forum would be very happy with the apparently low amount of effort it would take to get anything. Level 1, here's all the best stuff in the game! Have fun!

No global AH - I understand why some people want this, I think they tend to hurt in-game economies. And in light of the duping bugs, I'm glad there is no global AH otherwise it would be a huge problem right now.

Complains about phasing (for 5 minutes) - Hey I agree! The phasing is a pain for grouping.

Why are resource nodes not personalized instead of open world? - Because MMO? This is further evidence that AJ is not an MMO player. If everyone had their own nodes, then the economy suffers, you need to create a system in which players have to trade and communicate. Resource scarcity contributes to that.

Quests are beautifully voiced. - Okay, I agree.

Spends a few minutes talking about how things need to be “cool”  because regular quest wasn’t impressive enough for them. Hates how some quests involve pressing something! - Not everything can be "cool" all the time, otherwise when something impressive does happen, it get's lost because everything was equally impactful. You can't kill a bear and expect to have a spectacle equivalent defeating Molag Bal. I don't know of any game in which regular activities are treated with the same grandeur as major events.

“Shit that absolutely ruins this game” = public dungeons because people camp bosses.  2 minutes - He basically spends 2 minutes complaining about other people being in his game. If you don't want other people around, do not play an MMO. He also fails to mention that ESO offers a variety of dungeon types, not just public ones. Most MMO's do not give this many dungeon types.

UI doesn’t provide enough info - A lot of people would agree with him on this as evidenced by add-on popularity.  However, if there's anything you hear consistently on mmorpg.com is that people are tired of hand holding. So I'm not sure how many want the UI to do even more for you.

Doesn’t like the graphics. (it does look terrible on the youtube video, I don’t know what he’s playing on, but boy does my game not look like his). - I personally think the character models (the body that is) are pretty poorly done, but the world is gorgeous. His video looked like crap, if my game looked like that I'd be hating on the graphics too. And I have a fairly average PC, so I'm not running some crazy SLI or Titan set up with a huge OC CPU.

Combat is awesome, classes are great. - Why is this such a short segment in his review? This is the bread and butter of an MMORPG, you spend nearly all your time fighting and building a character. If both of those things are excellent, most other stuff is marginal.

Level too slowly - 2-3 weeks to hit 50 via regular playing (aka questing). I don't know how others feel on MMORPG.com, but I know a lot of topics revolve around leveling being TOO QUICK in modern MMOs. What's even more bizarre is that he values that zones are huge and provide 20-40 hours of content each, but also wants to level faster.

So the most important things in the game: combat, class building, voiced questing are all good.

The worst things in this game are:

Mount costs too much for a lowbie. The zones are big and I have to run a lot. No Global AH. Phasing sucks + why do other people ruin my experience? Why aren't all resources I see mine? UI needs to tell me exactly what to do and where to go. Game looks bad. I can't be level 50 in 2 days. And bugs (many of which have been fixed and others which are being worked on).

5/10 for anyone who doesn't like MMO's.

This discussion has been closed.