Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should classes be more distinctive?

Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The main reason why I don't expect to re-sub to WoW is that the classes seem less distinctive than they were a few years ago.

For example, these days nobody seems sure which class delivers the highest DPS or "alpha attack damage". A few years ago, most people would probably have said "Fire mages, because they are glass cannons." However, these days all classes can be DPS and fire mages seem like "glass", but with standard damage output.

What is your perception?

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    In short, Wow has become a joke.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Pvp killed this and it is not coming back. Game was balanced for 1v1 pvp. No rock paper scissors any more.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by deniter
    In short, Wow has become a joke.

In that case, I might return to WoW as a druid because at least they are designed to do all roles, so I might not feel that the game is so "broken". If I played my old role as a Fire Mage and found that I could be out-DPS'ed by a warrior, or even a casting Druid, that would really suck balls (considering how venerable cloth armour is).

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    The reverse of this question was asked by the devs some 6 years ago, the answer was of course we should homogenize the classes, that's less work for us! "Bring the player not the class!" they proudly proclaimed, completely forgetting that players choose classes based on what they can do and how they are different from other classes. If choosing one is the same as choosing every other why choose at all? I just walked away. 
  • SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    The class homogenization has definitely made the game less fun for me.  I liked it when you need to find those key members for your guild to do things because they brought the right skills to the table.  I understand why they did it, and perhaps some of it wasn't too bad, but they went way overboard a long time ago.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    This is all such a shame. If you want to change your role, all you should need to do is create that new character and enjoy exploring it.
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    When every class can do everything, everyone gets bored.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I think classes could use a little bit more distinction, and i also think you guys should see all of the work they're doing on classes in warlords of draenor.  Whether or not you like WoW, the community team as of recent is undeniably amazing at explaining the reasoning behind every class related or game related change they make.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    This is all such a shame. If you want to change your role, all you should need to do is create that new character and enjoy exploring it.

I like classes that can do everything to a competent degree.  They don't have to be capable of doing everything at the same time (think different specs like Monk) but I don't like to be forced to level a new character just to fill another role.  I play one character at a time in MMOs.

If the classes are not "distinctive" as you call it, I believe the real issue is that the classes are "balanced" now.  Why should one class be better at DPS than the others?  That will just result in everyone complaining and/or flocking to that class.  The game has created an environment where people can play the class they enjoy and not worry about being inferior because they didn't pick the overpowered class of the month.  I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

They could add more distinction to the classes without creating imbalance.  Other MMOs use synergistic skills to do this.  For example, one class could put gasoline on enemies and another could set them one fire while two other classes use water and freezing effects to work together.  I don't see it happening in WoW, though.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Absolutely. I think one of the things WoW did right were the classes and the differences between the classes that had similar roles. This was a huge reason I stayed there for years and leveled at least every class to max twice and never felt bored. The class system was great because every class performed a role differently than other classes.

Then it started to really fall off around CATA for me. Once they homogenized everything, I became turned off by the game. I feel this is the biggest issue I had with WoW and the main reason I left and haven't looked back. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.