Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another dupe method found today

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Or it could just be someone seeking attention, because honestly there is nothing in this thread you posted other than "I am people who knows people".

Usually when you provide too much back story up front it's to help make the BS more convincing.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Superchieftian

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/23iyjr/dupers_exploiters_new_duping_method_in_use_right/

This makes 4 known methods at this point. F2P here we come.

Don't really think duping affects this economy as much as in other gaems just because of how its set up, as long as they don't ban innocent people it should be fine.   As far as F2P,  keep hoping, maybe someday,  after all LOTRO went hybrid  F2P and sub.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

Free to play because of dupe bugs? I think not.  Those of us who choose not to "cheat" our way through the game, are having a lot of fun playing ESO. These item dupes do not affect my game play at all.  I play the game as I play any other rpg.  I choose to be self sufficient, crafting my own potions, weapons, armor.  I join groups and guilds for some social gaming.  Nothing has changed for me. 

So, if a small portion of idiots choose to item dupe, and risk their accounts, let them get their asses banned. It doesn't affect my gameplay at all.  Even if they get away with item duping, it still does not affect me in the least.  I do not base my gaming on the value of items in a game.  Personally, it is way more fun trying to find loot on my own, throughout the game world. 

I disagree with your statement. i believe this game will be around for a very long time.  There are many of us who are enjoying  our time in Tamriel, in spite of the gold sellers and cheaters. 

It is your choice if you choose to let these morons affect your gameplay or not.  I use my /ignore command as I see fit. 

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I kind of seen this coming when I seen they tied in guildstores with mailboxes from the start.  I think this was the main reason games of the past have always separated their economy, bank and mail from each other.  Hackers are smart and will always find a way to use dual or triple feature systems to crash and dupe things.   

If you can remember FFXIV when it launched, we had people using the retainer which was hooked into the auction system, and would fool the retainer system to mimic another persons IP address on it, they were able to steal that other persons Gil.   That by far has been the greatest hack on an economy I think I have seen to date.    This is why they MUST separate the systems from each other, and not try to use a mail system for everything.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    There is a contingent that simply wants to see the game go the microtransaction route.  These issues aren't problems to them, they're weapons to use to argue for what they want.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    What I'm having difficulty understanding is the ease with which people seem to be duping even unintentionally. How weak is the code in the game that allows even unintentional dupes. Is this a symptom of a much larger problem. ? Good thing they do not have an auction system.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Originally posted by ohioastro There is a contingent that simply wants to see the game go the microtransaction route.  These issues aren't problems to them, they're weapons to use to argue for what they want.

I, personally, believe that this game needs to go F2P. However, I also realize that issues like this will only delay this inevitable change, and are in fact one of the few good reasons for it to not change business models at this time.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Or it could just be someone seeking attention, because honestly there is nothing in this thread you posted other than "I am people who knows people".

Usually when you provide too much back story up front it's to help make the BS more convincing.

You mean BS like all other dupes that have been reported so far?

Originally posted by DMKano The game can't go F2P as they don't have a payment platform capable of processing microtrans on a massive scale - remember the queue to get payment setup? Yeah thats an ecommerce fail - imagine a queue to buy something in game... not gonna fly. Zenimax needs to have a system that can support 1000s of real time payments concurrently - which is a requirement for going F2P, they don't have it yet, hence no F2P any time soon.

I agree that it is not ready... but not for this reason. The reason that microtransactions are used, is because it is not cost effective to do large volumes of small transactions. The normal solution is to use a virtual currency to allow for small purchase points, but not need to do a direct currency exchange for each. They currently have the systems for both of these.

I would also speculate that when they do go F2P, it will likely start as sub based, with a very minimul (if any) microtransactions. They do not yet have the content to support sales, and will have to work with what they have.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Originally posted by ohioastro There is a contingent that simply wants to see the game go the microtransaction route.  These issues aren't problems to them, they're weapons to use to argue for what they want.

I, personally, believe that this game needs to go F2P. However, I also realize that issues like this will only delay this inevitable change, and are in fact one of the few good reasons for it to not change business models at this time.

Personally, I question why ESO SHOULD go F2P. It seems to me some people just wants to play it for free and thus demanding it to go f2p.

ATM I am happy to play ESO now with subs, in fact if it ever goes f2p. I pretty much would uninstall. F2P only brings out the worst crowd.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Yeah you get something ..hit the right key billions of times.

Friend told me. Like one more nail in the coffin .. If its not the endless gold spam in chat or the bots everywhere running around.  You cant block these guys fast enough and when you have to turn off zone chat ..just kills it.

The dupes are very real. Not just one or two doing it but hundreds of people. For me the question is why? I just played 1 hour and had over 18 greens. Nodes are everywhere. Then blues start to drop then purples and not so many of them yet they drop.

Why would anyone want to dupe.  Yet those that been around we wait for this. Lol to see how many they find and then how fast they plug them.

Whats strange about this mmo is you get like great stuff for doing nothing yet that boss and the like you get maybe a white or nothing. I just did one with someone. They were waiting so we killed the things that make the boss spawn and those were really hard. The boss spawns and just a few hits its dead. Hmm the BOSS should be really hard.. lol how they miss this kind of stuff I dont know.

Still having fun.

Originally posted by yaminsux

Originally posted by Superman0X  

Personally, I question why ESO SHOULD go F2P. It seems to me some people just wants to play it for free and thus demanding it to go f2p. ATM I am happy to play ESO now with subs, in fact if it ever goes f2p. I pretty much would uninstall. F2P only brings out the worst crowd.

Sucessful games match the strong points of the game, with the business model that provides the best ROI. Themeparks, with a heavy focus on PvE content, and without any large scale PvP are great for P2P. This game has not yet developed the depth of PvE content, and has large scale PvP. This leads it to being a better game, and better monitizing with F2P.

It is pretty simple. P2P is suited for small (scale) userbase. F2P is for large (scale) userbase. If players are content, then using F2P makes your game better. If instead the focus is on the game content, then you sell that instead.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by kitarad
    What I'm having difficulty understanding is the ease with which people seem to be duping even unintentionally. How weak is the code in the game that allows even unintentional dupes. Is this a symptom of a much larger problem. ? Good thing they do not have an auction system.

yea, they just "unintentionally" duped 20 of their items and sold em for gold or whatnot...... if oyu know what i mean *knick knack*

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    ESO just needs to get their devs up to speed on searching the DB for dupes and the chain of players that handle them up to the point of sale.  once they get those queries sorted they will "own" the dupers.  beware, that day will come...
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Already cancelled my sub, the game is not worthy of one. It is a single player game with optional co-op, and less of an experience than the Elder Scrolls series. The Pvp is along the same lines of PS2, BF4, and CoD, all of which do not require a monthly sub. 

The gold spammers and security holes are absurdly bad, and too many issues remain since beta.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Except that if said playerbase is content to fork over a sub fee, then you keep taking their money.
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Like BS as in there was nothing in the post other than "I found something" and "I know these leet underground communities" 

If you find a bug/exploit you send it to the dev. You don't go posting here or reddit seeking attention about it.

And if it's one of the dupes I think it is, it's already been reported. Like DMK's post a few up from this: He found it, detailed it and reported it. He didn't run to a forum screaming "OMG! I found this thing and had members of my darknet communities verify it now TOS contact me now please!"

So yeah, that post still feels more like someone seeking attention and riding the "me too!" train than anything substantial.

Originally posted by kitarad

It seems to be based off ESO's bank/email systems. Could also be a combination of these systems with lag thrown in the mix. In WoW there was a fun little dupe exploit that ran rampant for a few weeks around the MC heyday that involved trading, dungeon zone ins and lag. People were duping gold hand over fist for a while. Prices soared on the AH in less than a week and a few guilds on Alleria were caught up in it.

The server would basically create an item/gold in the reciepents inventory, confirm it was there and then was supposed to delete from the inventory of the part who was doing the transfer. Sadly lag would cause the server to not complete this check fast enough, someone would zone into a dungeon right as they accepted the trade, transfer would complete but the server would think the exchange was cancelled and not complete its check.

A couple of the big name raid guilds on Alleria ended up dissolving because some of their heavy hitters were pinched and banned.

I have a feeling sort of the same issue plagues ESO. 

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Like BS as in there was nothing in the post other than "I found something" and "I know these leet underground communities" 

If you find a bug/exploit you send it to the dev. You don't go posting here or reddit seeking attention about it.

And if it's one of the dupes I think it is, it's already been reported. Like DMK's post a few up from this: He found it, detailed it and reported it. He didn't run to a forum screaming "OMG! I found this thing and had members of my darknet communities verify it now TOS contact me now please!"

So yeah, that post still feels more like someone seeking attention and riding the "me too!" train than anything substantial.

Not everyone reacts in same way though. Matter of fact is that he warned players about it. By the way anyone can check for themselves if the dupe is legit or not. Not that i encourage it but if you are skeptical check it for yourself. That is lot better than calling everyone who reports a dupe as a liar.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Yeah the game is going to go f2p because of some dupes... lol. Threads like this crack me up. I guarantee most of the player base either don't care or know that it exists.

Most players don't spend their time on forums about the game they're playing, they play the game, and if there are problems they look at the patch notes and move on. All they really care about is downtime.

If this game is going to go f2p, it's going to be based on how they address all the major problems before the next couple sub cycles.

Dupes are a major bug, but not game-breaking for most people.

O_o o_O

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Not everyone reacts in same way though. Matter of fact is that he warned players about it. By the way anyone can check for themselves if the dupe is legit or not. Not that i encourage it but if you are skeptical check it for yourself. That is lot better than calling everyone who reports a dupe as a liar.

IN all honesty the best thing for a dupe is for people to not know about it, unless it's easily done on accident, even then outing it is only smart if it's going to be seen and acted upon. if you have to work at it, or dig for it, if it's not something readily apparent, the only people who should be notified in such a situation are the devs.

Things like this depend greatly, not only on how devs approach it, but also the players. IF they highly abuse it and spread it around that's putting devs into a position where they can't really act. They stand to lose too much in the pocket, my guess is people have figured that one out by now and just don't care.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Distopia

IN all honesty the best thing for a dupe is for people to not know about it, unless it's easily done on accident, even then outing it is only smart if it's going to be seen and acted upon. if you have to work at it, or dig for it, if it's not something readily apparent, the only people who should be notified in such a situation are the devs.

Things like this depend greatly, not only on how devs approach it, but also the players. IF they highly abuse it and spread it around that's putting devs into a position where they can't really act. They stand to lose too much in the pocket, my guess is people have figured that one out by now and just don't care.

Isn't that how Neverwinter played out?

Someone discovered the exploit and kept his mouth shut and made so much money it actually devalued PWI's ZEN exchange?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Distopia

Isn't that how Neverwinter played out?

Someone discovered the exploit and kept his mouth shut and made so much money it actually devalued PWI's ZEN exchange?

As far as I know, I kinda stopped paying attention because I didn't like that game anyway. As for this case the big difference is it's not a F2P. IN a F2p, they can ban everyone, they'll be replaced, even by themselves on new fresh accounts. THe cheat is gone and the players can stay...IN a B2P+SUb it's a lot different, if it's such a widespread ( as this seemingly is) issue. They lose those players and may never get them back.

I must stress though that's the "forum" version of what happened in NWN's case. I really don't know the full details, I can't imagine it was just one player responsible for that big of a mess TBH. IF it was you really can't do much if the lone person never reports it. Wasn't that dupe something that existed in STO though too? If so that would be another key difference.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• F2Pelerin118F2Pelerin118 Member UncommonPosts: 124

The OP was a bit unnecessary with the "F2P" comment, but regardless all these bugs and dupes are a real shame.

I haven't actually experienced any bugs and don't actually mind so much about the duping, but it's still a shame 'cos many people are having a ton of trouble with bugs and the duping will turn many people off the game.

It's all a bit unfortunate.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I don't think this game will go F2P this year, but it's hard not to notice the effects the bugs have had. People aren't talking about this stuff in chat? What game are you playing. Between the spam I've seen a ton of people expressing their worry over the state of the game in light of the numerous dupe bugs. It's just calmer and more civil than it is in other games. Most of the time at least.

I have already cancelled my 3 month sub. Not because of the dupe bugs, but because of the way Zenimax is addressing, or isn't addressing these issues. They have over the last few weeks and the last few betas shown that they are not a good developer, that they do not care about bug fixing, or players in general. ESO is a game 7 years in the making that still feels rushed. The whole recommending a third party site to do you auctioning is simply pathetic for example.