Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Dupe Bug Forces Bethesda to Take Guild Bank Offline

124»

Comments

• RebellonRebellon Member Posts: 49
    I guess those buyers that bought the faulty ignition cars should really be ok with getting subpar products. The race to the bottom should made the standard now.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by DirtyDozen
    So instead of doing your own story you reference rumors and a story from another site... I think I'm done with this site.

...Forbes. Forbes. Not "some other website".

Forbes has a reputation that exceeds anything in gaming. Period. Forbes is highly respected throughout the World. 

I think if Forbes is covering it we can safely assume its a pretty good source.

You mean the same Forbes that repeatedly spoke of doom and demise because of their subscription model? I do not trust Forbes (at least the writer that has covered gaming).

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    I think the point with the sub model is that it is currently the most expensive MMO out yet there maybe games a lot cheaper that do as much or more than ESO. But hey, it's your cash burn it if you want to.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Asamof

didn't think a launch could be more disastrous than The Old Republic

how embarrassing 

On the two servers I was on , well I had no problems at all in SWTOR , from launch onwards. So indeed ESO's launch is much worse than SWTOR's and in my case infinitely worse.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by winter
    This should be interesting to see what happens, and I guess it will do no good to point out every notable MMO has had duping bugs at one time or another EQ, WoW, etc

I don't even remember WOWs dupe bug, but since the best WOW gear is BOE and attained through raids I don't see how it could be economy ruining.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Not always, at least two EQ2 and Never winter both had major economy related exploits, every bit as severe, identified and /buged by testers exhaustively, but decided to not address it.   Then of course act all shocked and emergency mode reactive when it *gasp* does not magically go away merely because you had a release deadline.  Most things like this can be addressed before they become "issues" to this degree, but you actually have to plan for it and adjust schedules if necessary.

EDIT and as EQ2 found out in particular nothing can create a barrier to entry for new customers like an inflated economy in a newly launched game.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Distopia

WHat do I have to do with Neverwinter? I'm not exactly sure what you want me to say or explain when I am not one of those you're talking about in the rest of this post, I've never once said anything close to any of that. I may prefer sub games, but I have no problem with the F2P model. I certainly don't think one or the other means better service, better community yadda yadda..

What do you have to do with ESO yet here you are. You don't owe me or anyone an explanation. My point is that a previous F2P title had a similar exploit (supporting your point that many games have these problems), patched in a day, and banned the worst offenders, yet got summarily lambasted by the forum members here along with MMORPG.com staffers.

ESO comes along with a huge exploit problem and takes a hatchet to the community. The response is overwhelmingly mixed with people excusing it and the site staffers that comment on the game minimizing the event.

Point, F2P game is held to a higher level of scrutiny while P2P game is virtually excused. Why are a bunch of people calling for temperance and moderation now and not when this happens in F2P? The question of where were you was more rhetorical commentary rather than literal.

The reason F2P is held to a higher standard than ESO, is because ESO has paid MMORPG.com and various other sites a hefty chunk of $$$, while those F2P did not. ESO deserves to be raked over the coals for this, and for so many other reasons. It deserves to be crucified just as much as Neverwinter or various others. It won't happen because it paid enough money to 'journalist' sites for them to mimimize the impact. I wanted to love ESO, I didn't. Its not a great game but its not a terrible one imo. I figured I'd eventually get bored enough to pick it up someday, but now...never gonna happen. The fact that they've gone crickets and tumbleweed silent about this, the fact that it was a beta issue (and i was in beta) that was reported numerous times, the fact that this happened to other big mmo's and they didn't learn...I hope this burns to the ground. I hope it burns to the ground so that other future MMO companies learn you can't push crap out of the door without due diligence when it comes to testing. That you can't push crap out of the door saying you had a 'beta' when all that 'beta' was used for was marketing. I'll be hoping, praying, and cheering this game failing, not because I hate the game itself it was mildly enjoyable, but because I detest the business practices of companies that treat their product and their customers like this. We players deserve better than this, especially when expected to pay a box price, a sub fee, and a cash shop. I want this to fail so that investors stop pulling this crap forcing shit out the door while nowhere near ready. I want them to lose money so others stop copying their practices. Again we as customers, we as players, deserve better.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Just curious about the title of this news feature, shouldn't it read Zenimax is closing down the guild bank rather than Bethesda? image

I read the Forbes article but the guy did not mention Bethesda anywhere.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

While yes, there was a dupe bug, I wouldn't throw a whole lot of weight behind a contributing article on Forbes.  It really is not much more than a blog - still journalism - but still a blog.  

Clearly, looking at his previous articles, this guy thinks ESO is destined to fail, so it makes sense for him to carry that narrative through.  If he really wanted to paint a true picture of the game, he'd report on both the positive and negative (ex. where is the post on the upcoming content update?)

I also expect better from MMORPG.com.  Using what amounts to a blog post as a source article... you guys are better than that!  Anyone following and engaged with ESO could've provided all the information needed to write the article.  If he had some direct information from Zenimax, it'd be understandable... but his only contact is "a player"...

With that said, as a player with the intention to sub for at least 1 month, I haven't been too thrilled with Zenimax's ability to communicate tough issues to its player base.  They have been more than happy to publicize the upcoming content update but have seemingly attempted to sweep some large issues (dupe, banking issues, skill point issues) under the rug.

I myself don't know what to think of ESO.  I do enjoy the game a whole lot, but where Yoshida and his crew really opened up to FF14s community, Zenimax has taken a completely opposite stance.  Even SOE's seemingly new found openness is really making a positive mark on its communities.

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

Being forced to read an article written by a console gamer(Forbes) about a PC MMO makes no sense. Of course console gamers won't pay a monthly sub for a game when they have been spoonfed single player, shallow content, glitterly crap games most of their lives.

$180/year for a game? Since when is that expensive? Most console gamers pay more than that on pot and alcohol and "clubbing" and the relentless pursuit of trim and that's ok with them.

I believe all consoles and their gamers should just stay away from MMO's completely since their systems and hardware weren't designed for such things anyways and MMO's will always look and play like crap on consoles.

I realize that inside every console gamer is a PC gamer dieing to come out, but the reality of the situation is that will never happen.

It's too expensive if it don't work right.

PC ELITISM BLAH BLAH BLAH
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    I think the point with the sub model is that it is currently the most expensive MMO out yet there maybe games a lot cheaper that do as much or more than ESO. But hey, it's your cash burn it if you want to.

Posts like this make you wonder.  If you think that $15 a month is expensive you are beyond naïve.  You should see what some of these people spend on f2p games.  It is nothing to drop a couple hundred a month or more on them. 

This game is cheap at $15 a month.  I am really amazed that people can't fathom this obvious fact.  There is no free games out there unless of course you consider playing a limited version of it ok.

I will agree it does not offer much new though.  That is why I am not playing it, nothing to do with the sub model at all.

60 bucks to buy and 15 a month is expensive relative to other like games. First world problems tho right?
    I love how people are defending spending hundreds of dollars in F2P games. Sub or not, that's just retarded. Again tho, your money - please burn it.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I love how people are defending spending hundreds of dollars in F2P games. Sub or not, that's just retarded. Again tho, your money - please burn it.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on a weekend excursion. The value of money is relative to how much of it you make. 

Name me one F2P game you spend hundreds on for one weekend of fun. Then ill call you retarded. A video game is a lot different than a "weekend excursion" but please bring some other reason to the table of first-world problems.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

.... I've easily spent at least $50 in a single night out to the movies with my husband and that doesn't even include dinner. Heck, our anniversary dinners tend to be around $150 (we save up for that one).  So... are you serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. MMO's give hours and hours and hours and hours of entertainment for an initial investment and $15 a month. That's nothing.  Chump change. Stop complaining about spending virtually nothing for these games and cut out three trips to McDonalds a month to pay for it. 

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Moirae

.... I've easily spent at least $50 in a single night out to the movies with my husband and that doesn't even include dinner. Heck, our anniversary dinners tend to be around $150 (we save up for that one).  So... are you serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. MMO's give hours and hours and hours and hours of entertainment for an initial investment and $15 a month. That's nothing.  Chump change. Stop complaining about spending virtually nothing for these games and cut out three trips to McDonalds a month to pay for it. 

Haha exactly! Thank you. I used that same example (dinner, movies, etc.) about my wife and I to a buddy of mine in GW2 after he bashed ESO's sub model,  and he actually admitted to me that he didn't think about it that way.

Fifteen bucks a month is cheap entertainment as long as I'm having fun. But I have to admit, the launch troubles are getting to me. I hope they can get it squared away soon. :(

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34