Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HERO Engine, should I be worried?

2»

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Danizzlee

My rig isnt the best, pretty outdated. 

AMD 3.4 Quad

Radeon 6950HD

8gb ddr3 ram

sata 500gb hdd

And i run the game very well on high-settings and with shadows off. I played swtor aswell, and my rig had much more problems in that game. 

Pretty outdated -_-? Excluding a Ivy Bridge i5 (top range, overlock locked) and about 1.5 Tb more storage capacity (I assume the DDR3s are 1600 Mhz-ers) that is my home rig that can run Metro Last Light with everything at high except the Nvidia optimized crap. The 6950HD is one of the high point, mid-range, GPUs of the recent generations... to get better from either Nvidia or Radeon currently you have to splurge quite a bit of cash (300-400 euros if I am not mistaken).

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by prowesss
    Originally posted by skeaser

The game doesn't run on the HeroEngine, they just used it for prototyping/testing. The game runs on their own engine.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

http://elderscrollsonline.info/news/about-game-engine

We've already seen this junk...  I can't believe you linked that .info site...

The game DOES run HeroEngine.

Quote from the article posted in 2012:

"There are no compromises with the technology that we’re using – everything in the game’s engine was written for this game, with no extraneous code, features, or tools."

Then why do they display the Havok splash screen?  This article was just a poor/silly attempt to deflect some of the bad press associated with SWTOR.

The HeroEngine splashscreen has dissapeared over a week ago with a patch.

Go figure!  If they really used the HeroEngine, I don't think they are allowed to remove the splashscreen! CopyRights and all.

I recieved the splash screen yesterday, as my post indicates...and SWTOR never had a "powered by hero engine" splash screen. Their wiki even indicates that its running on the hero engine. I think we can stop beating the dead horse here and all agree that it is in fact still using the hero engine to a degree.

With that said, im glad it runs fine in large scale PVP. That was my only concern.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by doodphace

I recieved the splash screen yesterday, as my post indicates...and SWTOR never had a "powered by hero engine" splash screen. Their wiki even indicates that its running on the hero engine. I think we can stop beating the dead horse here and all agree that it is in fact still using the hero engine to a degree.

With that said, im glad it runs fine in large scale PVP. That was my only concern.

It's the only time you will see it.

Once you get the game running you will see powered by HAVOK

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Nope the game runs great , most new mmorpg run like shit for me but since wow this is the best engine i think and i doubt they still use hero engine since in big scale fights the game still runs awesome . Wildstar for example did run realy bad for me and since they going for the cartoon style i wasnt expecting this i hope they get this sorted since a bad engine will suffer the game alot .
  • prowesssprowesss Member Posts: 69

It's really silly to argue that they're not using HeroEngine.  They've heavily modified it and implemented a lot of their own tech and Havok's tech (which requires you to display a splash screen in the license), but it's still HeroEngine.

The only reason the installer would have a HeroEngine splash screen is because the client and installer were created using HeroEngine's FANTASTIC line of tools and systems.

ZOS should be ashamed of themselves for not standing by HeroEngine and defending their decision to use it.

I chose the Xfinity speed test because it does not reveal my ISP.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by doodphace

So I caved in and bought ESO. While running the installer, I was presented with a fullscreen "Powered by Hero Engine", with the "hero engine" cleverly written to invoke images of a lightsaber. The game is still downloading atm, so I havent yet been able to try it out.

As a veteran SWTOR player, that worries me to all hell considering the only reason I bought it, is for the large scale PVP...something SWTOR was lacking in regarding the "performance department" to say the least.. I imagine this has been covered here, but I havent been able to find any recent posts.

Should I be worried??

You should have really waited. After reading all the current information about hacks, dupes, botters, bugs etc i seriously don't know how any new customer wouldn't want to wait.

I love comments like this.  It has been the best launch in a very long time.  All games have these issues at launch, all of them.  Even WoW had them.  Yes the golden child if MMOs was AFU at launch.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

In programming, whether computer games or anything else, there are a lot of libraries out there that you can use--some free and others available for license.  A game engine is really just a large collection of such libraries designed to work with each other.  The sensible thing to do is to pick out the things that do exactly what you want efficiently and use them, perhaps pick some other things that are pretty close to what you want and tweak them to do what you want, and then fill in everything else yourself.

If a company says, we've licensed a game engine and it wants to do things this way so that's what we're going to do, then the problem is that whoever made that decision is an idiot.  Well, either that or it's a game being made on a shoestring budget that doesn't have anyone with the time and skills to modify a game engine as needed.  Either of those are much worse than using the "wrong" game engine.  Conversely, even if you license a game engine, that doesn't mean that you're not allowed to grab code from other sources and use it in your game.

So no, if you're just playing a game and not coding it, you shouldn't worry about which game engine was used as a starting point any more than you'd worry about how they decided whether to use 32-bit versus 64-bit data types for various things.  When you launch a game, you own the decision to use all of the code that you used in your game, whether you wrote it or not.  If you want to worry about such things, what you should worry about is whether the company is competent at programming games.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Not this again. Locked.
This discussion has been closed.