Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unplayable game

vixen2vixen2 Member Posts: 76
Well, I tried the beta today, and I was very disappointed with the combat.  Combat and movement felt clunky and slow, to the point that after a half hour of really trying to get used to it, I had to turn it off.  The combat system is very slow and unresponsive and needs to be revamped.  The animations are horrible and the graphics look like something out of a poorly drawn cartoon. I really wanted to like this game, as it has several neat features, but I just can't get past the movement (and no its not my computer, I have an I7 with high end HD radion graphics card).  Guess I will be continuing to play that other game that just came out.

Comments

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    What class did you play and what level did you get to?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hmmm good point,what are you doing in the Wildstar beta, ESO is clearly your preferred game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Hmmm good point,what are you doing in the Wildstar beta, ESO is clearly your preferred game.

Is there some secret gamers rule about trying another game that I havent heard about?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

Unplayable?  Clunky, non-responsive combat?  

Not sure if serious.

My experience has been absolutely the opposite of the OP's.  Game still needs to be optimized, but even that is far improved from recent betas.  

• AuntieSpeaksAlotAuntieSpeaksAlot Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by vixen2
    Well, I tried the beta today, and I was very disappointed with the combat.  Combat and movement felt clunky and slow, to the point that after a half hour of really trying to get used to it, I had to turn it off.  The combat system is very slow and unresponsive and needs to be revamped.  The animations are horrible and the graphics look like something out of a poorly drawn cartoon. I really wanted to like this game, as it has several neat features, but I just can't get past the movement (and no its not my computer, I have an I7 with high end HD radion graphics card).  Guess I will be continuing to play that other game that just came out.

so you can play the game?  What is the problem? 

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot

Hes complaining about the same thing everyone else can't seem to get though their head. Its a optimazation issue with their game engine. They have acknowledged the issue, and said they are working on it with each patch. They have plenty of time to fix said issues, and if anyone had an basic intellect they could easily do a google search and look up things they can do in the mean time to completely fix said studdering.

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by Tsuru
    Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot

Hes complaining about the same thing everyone else can't seem to get though their head. Its a optimazation issue with their game engine. They have acknowledged the issue, and said they are working on it with each patch. They have plenty of time to fix said issues, and if anyone had an basic intellect they could easily do a google search and look up things they can do in the mean time to completely fix said studdering.

It's not just that though.  Based on recent posts of the OP (from above), they seem to be fine with ESO combat.  Anyone who can play that game, then turn around and play Wildstar, and claim Wildstar is the one with the clunky combat...well, I just don't know what to say.  

I say this as a person who enjoys ESO, too.  Combat just isn't one of that game's great strengths.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Hokie

Is there some secret gamers rule about trying another game that I havent heard about?

Ummm yes?

It's in the Unwritten Rules of the MMO Gamer, 4th edition, section H-7, subsection 3.1:

"If thou enjoys Game A, thou shall not, under any circumstance, enjoy Game B or attempt to enjoy Game B even under duress or inebriation. Failure to comply will be punishable by public stoning"

Now while combat in WS wasn't bad at all in my opinion, the game itself for some odd reason gives me a headache. I was thinking it's either the colors (some parts of WoW bugged my head as well) or more likely the annoyiny watermark they have plastered across the screen in beta (this was many months ago - haven't bothered reinstalling the beta since the great SSD failure of 2013....)

I more than likely will give the game another shot at some point in the future, once my current game runs thin.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43

Same here. Laggy spell casting and character movement. If you're use to the responsiveness of wow, this game does not come close to the playability.

It's the same problem with a lot of games of this type. Lazy and or incompetent programmers, the latter being the most likely.

• notmexnotmex Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Tsuru

It's not something that can simply be optimized. It's the basic game engine. Like a lot of games, they don't handle casting, movement at the client and sync with the server.

Sad blizzard got this right over 10 years ago, yet it still eludes so many programmers.

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

That is the OPPOSITE of what Wildstar is! Combat is fast and fierce, especially with the Stalker class! 

You seem disingenuous to me. 

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Hehe, yes because if you play and like one MMO you can never ever try another MMO. (at least till you hate and unsubscribe from the first one)  If you even think of playing 2 different MMO's at the same time you will be burnt at the stake as a heretic!

Honestly I thought about trying out WS too as it appears fun and yet different from TESO. Two fun MMO's one cartoony and humerous one more realistic and serious would have been great, depending on what mood I'm in but I guess that's not Allowed as Kyleran seems to says one is only allowed to have one preferred game.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Come on guys this is why they lock threads. Just look someone went LOOKING at the OPS other posts put then in here and called him a troll. WOW

This is NOT about how ESO plays or is like Wildstar. He told you how he felt about WILDSTAR.

I bought ESO and Wildstar. I feel ESO is chunky and slow. Wildstar is very different. OP you HAVE to get past level 15. I have a 35 and its awesome..FOR ME.

Try to keep the thread on track. Or its like your just looking to piss someone off.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    i played both games in beta and i am playing ESO at this moment. I personally did not like WS but then again it was beta and im sure they will have some of the game breaking bugs fixed. ESO has had a rocky launch but knowing NC soft WS will s well sadly. NC soft use to be good at what they did now..i question many things they do. I will still be trying WS when its out though ESO is my prefered game atm..that and GW2...NC Soft does not have their hands to deep in gw2..though its starting to grow old for me after so long.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Zeblade

Come on guys this is why they lock threads. Just look someone went LOOKING at the OPS other posts put then in here and called him a troll. WOW

This is NOT about how ESO plays or is like Wildstar. He told you how he felt about WILDSTAR.

I bought ESO and Wildstar. I feel ESO is chunky and slow. Wildstar is very different. OP you HAVE to get past level 15. I have a 35 and its awesome..FOR ME.

Try to keep the thread on track. Or its like your just looking to piss someone off.

Agree 100%.  I am playing both games and having a blast.  The whole versus crap just doesn't fit these days when you have so many options to play at the same time.  Get bored with ESO, log out and play WildStar or that thing called life.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Varex12

Unplayable?  Clunky, non-responsive combat?  

Not sure if serious.

My experience has been absolutely the opposite of the OP's.  Game still needs to be optimized, but even that is far improved from recent betas.  

I will have to say I experienced the exact opposite. I don't share the OP's perspective, but the game has definitely taken some steps backwards since my last beta experience. For one there was some trouble patching and logging in for some strange reason when this was not present in the other betas for WS. Frame rates were bad for this time around to the point that the stutter was actually giving me a headache. I also noticed that the tutorial windows and some of my settings were bugging out as they were unable to be closed forcing me to reload the UI whenever I read something or completed a quest. These things were not experienced in any of the previous beta weekends by neither me nor my wife but we were both constantly running into them. Between the headache and these annoyances I wasn't able to test it much and I would have to agree that it was unplayable for me as well. 

The one thing I do agree with the OP on is the slowness of the movement. The camera turning is just awful and has been a huge issue for me from day one.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    i for one cant play it ..imho it looks like free realms on crack ..im just not into those type of grafix its hard for me to get into a cartoony type mmorpg like that ..everyone has their own taste i guess when it comes to mmorpgs..some like more  some like less
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I will say the animation did give me a headache. On the starting ship with everthing in the background moving hurt my eyes. Combat...the little I did was ok. Not the biggest fan of the jumping animation.

One thing I did not like was the annoying voice clips when you clicked on people. I hated when it did not match the text bubble for quests. Some of them just kept yapping. Either voice the text or tone down the audio from them in my opinion.

Liked the skill system looks. Did not get far into it.

Some of the directions for quests were not very clear. The quest I could not get into either just started skipping through to get to the end.
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'm playing both games, only because I am bored really and waiting for Repopulation and Star Citizen. ESO keeps me peeled for it's story mostly, the combat is very clunky, reminds me of LOTRO meets matrix online. Wildstar, well I like it, I think anyway, I can't turn it down yet as I'm only level 15. But the anime theme really does annoy the hell out of me, it was a big turn off from swtor for me as well. And WS seems to be a blend of SWTOR graphics, Tabula Rasa mechanics, and then global agenda combat. Which I suppose is a neat thing and I can see Wildstar having good potential. But ESO has potential as well, two very different games so people who compare them are just being silly and need to realize it just may not be for them.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by winter

Hehe, yes because if you play and like one MMO you can never ever try another MMO. (at least till you hate and unsubscribe from the first one)  If you even think of playing 2 different MMO's at the same time you will be burnt at the stake as a heretic!

Actually, this is pretty much spot on.  You try a MMO, you like it, you play it until you are done with it, even it takes years to complete.  Once you decide to you're done, you leave, normally not to ever return, and move on to the next game.

I'm enjoying ESO, wouldn't dream of even trying Wildstar until I'm done with my time in that game.

All a matter of proper timing..... and in the OP's case, he did seem to love ESO, so why in the world would he try Wildstar? I like ESO, I spent all day playing it, which is what you should be doing if you like a game.

Anything else, just doesn't make much sense.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Actually, I love the combat in Wildstar. It's fast and very responsive, and I've been having fun in the beta. Sadly, the game runs like absolute crap in most areas, and I'm lucky to get FPS in the teens on a system which meets recommended requirements, so I probably won't bother with it.

The UI is also kind of iffy and needs work, and the presence of placeholder graphics in some areas this close to release has me a bit leery as well.

A shame because I'm really liking the story, setting, and aesthetics so far. 25% off at GMG certainly is tempting...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

It takes way too long to DL the game.

I just gave up on trying out the Beta, /sigh.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by notmex

Same here. Laggy spell casting and character movement. If you're use to the responsiveness of wow, this game does not come close to the playability.

It's the same problem with a lot of games of this type. Lazy and or incompetent programmers, the latter being the most likely.

Sorry, but your conclusion is incorrect, probably due to a ton of incorrect assumptions.

Basically they gave out a TON of free keys(they gave a list of the sites they released them to on the forums and there were a lot of sites given a lot of keys, i.e. 25k to one site.) which were only usable for this weekend. This weekend was basically a stress test(although they didn't announce it as such). There were times friday night and early saturday when I the game was so laggy I had to take a break...

That is pretty much over with right now...

It would have helped a lot if they would have announced it as a stress test, because the experience for the beginning of this weekend was definitely not representative of the regular experience in the game.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Actually, I love the combat in Wildstar. It's fast and very responsive, and I've been having fun in the beta. Sadly, the game runs like absolute crap in most areas, and I'm lucky to get FPS in the teens on a system which meets recommended requirements, so I probably won't bother with it.

The UI is also kind of iffy and needs work, and the presence of placeholder graphics in some areas this close to release has me a bit leery as well.

A shame because I'm really liking the story, setting, and aesthetics so far. 25% off at GMG certainly is tempting...

Try turning off vsync. some people in game have reported as much as double on their FPS once they disable that.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    There is no excuse for a game like WS to have such horrible FPS with literally no textures.  I don't really know how WS or ESO fans feel passionately about either game.  They are both really dull no risk vs reward quest grinders that we have been beat over the head with for 10 years.  I will admit I've had more fun in WS because it is sci fi and not fantasy game # 1,246.  If both games didn't exist tomorrow I actually think this genre would be in better shape.