Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Dupe Bug Forces Bethesda to Take Guild Bank Offline

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Feel bad for the people enjoying this game, but I think it s about to implode. I said from day 1 it feels like an amateur MMO, well, it seems like it, in more ways then 1.

I just canceled my sub.

Have seen this crap too many times, with Companies not having the balls to do what needs to be done. Except Funcom. Only Company so far that really had the balls to do the unpopular thing and taking drastic messures in these situations.

So I am now going to take and wait and see approach with Zenimax. They are not going get a dime Subscription from me, until I see some real concrete action to fix this mess.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

“Games have a lot of issues when they first get released so we have to prioritize which ones to fix and this duplication glitch seemed to be minor,” explained Dunham, “From what I understand, some glitches can be fun. It’s actually par for the course when it comes to The Elder Scrolls. I just never imagined that it would ruin the economy and make everything worthless. That never crossed my mind at all.”

Yes they will not be fixing things just now lol.

Okay wait found out the above was satire.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Lugors
    I kinda agree with the posters who are saying this won't be a big deal. The Fed has been flooding the real economy with dollars, and it really hasn't had much of an effect other than making Wall Street richer. Most players won't play the game economy to the point where they will notice the currency depreciation.

So the worst thing that's ever happened to the US isn't a problem?  The consolidation of power, resources, and wealth with the decrease in purchasing power for the average person isn't a problem?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Thane

"When you make an MMO, you will eventually learn a hard lesson about how a single bug can derail your entire game. Right now, that’s exactly what’s happening with The Elder Scrolls Online."

i laugh it when noobs post about mmos. his first mmo to play i guess.

name me ONE mmo that didnt have probs with dupes, bots or whatnot. and no. it's not getting eaiser with the years. the engines got more and more complex, so, the only way to REALLY judge a company is how they deal with those probs, and seeing all those "why am i banned?! i didnt do anything wrong!" posts yesterday.... i'd say ESO is on the right way

yea right, you all got banned because you did nothing *G* suuuure

playing online for about 20 years now. got banned for every random reason... but NEVER because i did NOTHING.

Even before i clicked on the topic i knew someone would already have posted 'but it happens in every MMO' 

I'm not sure why people get bent out of shape about said response, it does happen in many MMO's. They all go on after, people do act like it's the first game it's happened to as well as "the end" in every case. So that part is the same.

Where were you and Thane when this happened in Neverwinter? That game raked over the coals and lambasted over this. Fast forward to ESO prerelease and people kept praising its subscription model and how that meant quality and a better experience all the while trashing F2P games and how they're crap.

I personally don't think these sorts of things are a big deal in the long run. In a few months this will all be diluted and players won't notice its effect. So while I don't think it will end up being that big of a deal, I also don't think this game deserves to be taken to task any less than the others. I also think we shouldn't write off this sort of thing when any game does it. Stop giving devs and pubs a free pass when they mess up on this scale.

This will also be something I can refer to when people pull out that idiotic P2P superiority b.s.

WHat do I have to do with Neverwinter? I'm not exactly sure what you want me to say or explain when I am not one of those you're talking about in the rest of this post, I've never once said anything close to any of that. I may prefer sub games, but I have no problem with the F2P model. I certainly don't think one or the other means better service, better community yadda yadda..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Herase

Brought up many times, yet didn't blow up like this, I'm still waiting to see proof of this. SO far all I've seen is easily manipulated sources (editable review (with multiple edits the last week), screen saved forum entry). I find it hard to believe it would take this long to blow had that been the case.

Everyone already forgotten about Neverwinter?

Was pretty much the same thing! Huge dupe bug that went into launch and People abused it for over 2 weeks before action was taken.

And all Cryptic did was an small rollback that did Jack shit about the problem! People just got away with it. lol.

At least Zenimax is actually taking action and swinging the banhammer! And not the token action Cryptic did to wipe it under the carpet and pretend it never happened. /facepalm

But I can see this having serious concequences in the game!

Have fun with PVP as legit player from now on. This just makes the already existing imbalance worse.

I don't disagree but was Neverwinters problem also talked about prior to launch (widely reported) yet oddly missed for almost a month by the greater community at large? That's the only part of this I'm questioning, we see what happens once a few people found out about it here, and elsewhere on the net, it's all over the place now. If it was it's as odd as it is now in ESO's case.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I don't really want to see any game fail, but it's so easy to get caught up in the schadenfruede when things like this happen. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Everyone already forgotten about Neverwinter?

Was pretty much the same thing! Huge dupe bug that went into launch and People abused it for over 2 weeks before action was taken.

And all Cryptic did was an small rollback that did Jack shit about the problem! People just got away with it. lol.

At least Zenimax is actually taking action and swinging the banhammer! And not the token action Cryptic did to wipe it under the carpet and pretend it never happened. /facepalm

But I can see this having serious concequences in the game!

Have fun with PVP as legit player from now on. This just makes the already existing imbalance worse.

I don't disagree but was Neverwinters problem also talked about prior to launch (widely reported) yet oddly missed for almost a month by the greater community at large? That's the only part of this I'm questioning, we see what happens once a few people found out about it here, and elsewhere on the net, it's all over the place now. If it was it's as odd as it is now in ESO's case.

With Neverwinter, the huge dupe exploit also existed in Beta and was indeed reported.

People actually kept it quiet in the beginning of launch and exploited it for over 2 weeks in launch, until one guy started bragging about it and posting it over the internet. Then tons more People started doing it and Cryptic finally had to take action and plug the hole!

And that's all they did! Plugging it and let People get away with it!

As to fix it, they would have had to reset the entire game, which they didn't and couldn't do.

So they just lied that it was only exploited for a day and did a short rollback to reflect that lie. A token action. Nothing more.

I left that turd right after and will never touch another game from those clowns.

As to ESO. I now canceled my sub and take a wait and see approach. Been burned to many times now.

Not going to Waste any more Money on crap like this and reward Companies for their incompentence and inaction!

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by DirtyDozen
    So instead of doing your own story you reference rumors and a story from another site... I think I'm done with this site.

...Forbes. Forbes. Not "some other website".

Forbes has a reputation that exceeds anything in gaming. Period. Forbes is highly respected throughout the World. 

I think if Forbes is covering it we can safely assume its a pretty good source.

Really? This article is also written by the same guy who wrote the article back in January predicting bad sales based solely on the fact that it has a subscription (just because he doesnt think the sub model is viable anymore), and reading random things on forums with no hands on experience with the game himself. Literally no 1st hand information, all info gathered from reading forums like these.

Looks like yet more of the same here. It's not as if he has even touched the game and has actual experience with the things he is writing about. Just taking information / rumors from forum posts and putting them together to make up a half assed article.

Yep. Excellent journalism at it's finest.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    So instead of doing your own story you reference rumors and a story from another site... I think I'm done with this site.

Forbes has a reputation that exceeds anything in gaming. Period. Forbes is highly respected throughout the World. 

You're joking right?

This article is coming from the same guy who put out this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by superconducting

You're joking right?

This article is coming from the same guy who put out this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

I'd say given the poor sales and lack of trumpeting of numbers from ZoS, plus this latest duping fiasco (which they've known about since beta and let ship), he was spot on. It's a generic themepark mmo with an ES skin - and they are trying to cash in on that. Their lack of experience is being horribly exposed.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

I know what you mean . There is also a bug which allows you to fall through the game world . That isn't bad in itself its happened to me in several other games but when it happened to a friend of mine in this game her account got suspended . I started up a thread to see if this was an isolated case but it was locked by Mike Bitton . Since then the issue has been resolved and Zenimax have offered an apology to my friend but to my knowledge they have not reimbursed her for the time lost. I'm not sure if this site has much credibility anymore . Its lucky for them that they have the mmorpg.com domain name but people are fast realizing that the standards here are not what they would expect of such a site . It seems more of a tabloid compared to the articles you get on other sites . I'm done with it too . This site needs to be under a new manager one that is not so obsessed with advertising revenue and who actually cares about the subject of mmo gaming . One that will give it some credibility again . 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    This reminds me of Neverwinter and Catday(?).
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Wow. Just wow. Color me not surprised. 
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Lugors
    I kinda agree with the posters who are saying this won't be a big deal. The Fed has been flooding the real economy with dollars, and it really hasn't had much of an effect other than making Wall Street richer. Most players won't play the game economy to the point where they will notice the currency depreciation.

Especially since there isn't a true global economy. You either trade in your current zone/shard or in one of your guilds or on an online forum. There's currently no one place to buy and sell. All this did was pump a few bucks into a few guilds pockets. At the end of the day, goods will probably cost the same.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by greatskys

I know what you mean . There is also a bug which allows you to fall through the game world . That isn't bad in itself its happened to me in several other games but when it happened to a friend of mine in this game her account got suspended . I started up a thread to see if this was an isolated case but it was locked by Mike Bitton . Since then the issue has been resolved and Zenimax have offered an apology to my friend but to my knowledge they have not reimbursed her for the time lost. I'm not sure if this site has much credibility anymore . Its lucky for them that they have the mmorpg.com domain name but people are fast realizing that the standards here are not what they would expect of such a site . It seems more of a tabloid compared to the articles you get on other sites . I'm done with it too . This site needs to be under a new manager one that is not so obsessed with advertising revenue and who actually cares about the subject of mmo gaming . One that will give it some credibility again . 

MikeB didn't seem to have ulterior motives,  he suggested to take the matter to Zenimax's support where something could be done about it.

Besides...You say this as if there aren't always hundreds of posts daily about ESO's problems on this site, that's essentially all ESO's forums have ever been here.

• papariospaparios Member Posts: 48
    If this game wasnt a big IP, after this horrible launch and the so many gamebreaking bugs, it would be already dust...and i m not even mention things like combat, animations etc
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145

GW2 had worst problems the first months,and in that game the money it's "everything" for players.

The first botters and dupers in GW2 still drive the economy of the game after more than a year.

• TaotavTaotav Member UncommonPosts: 14

I remember when zergs of bots were farming entire maps in GW2. I remember when you could duplicate items in WoW. These problems were fixed after several months.

ESO born 20 days ago. Zenimax will solve its problems too. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Taotav

I remember when zergs of bots were farming entire maps in GW2. I remember when you could duplicate items in WoW. These problems were fixed after several months.

So basically, what your saying is that just about every single bug to ever affect every other game out there, is going to happen in ESO. But thats okay because they will eventually fix it in a few months time. image

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Would have normally been annoyed but someone once said how much our subscription fee to this site is. Everytime I see something a staff member posts which is not an MMORPG or from some other site, not so annoyed anymore. Still, interesting read.

Runescape had a dupe bug which I used which was when you withdrew from the bank too fast you got more than 1 item. Now, it still happens sometimes but the extra items automaticly delete themself. Perhaps Zenimax could do something like that where every item has it's own different number and if two of the same number exists then the item removes itself. But look, RS is the most popular game in the world so I think it recovered from that.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Although I enjoy ESO for what it is and so does the rest of my clan, issues like this as well as the poor EU server performance and bugs really do take the enjoyment out of it.

Any moment now I am expecting ZOE to come forward and give everyone a free month of game time, because that's a fitting compensation for trying to play a game that is doing really well for the title of "Worst launch in recent MMO history".

Out of my current subscription cycle I've only been able to play for half the time because of stuck progression issues, primetime server downtimes, disconnects, and you name it. Very unfortunate because behind all these issues is a fairly enjoyable game.

• TaotavTaotav Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Taotav

So basically, what your saying is that just about every single bug to ever affect every other game out there, is going to happen in ESO. But thats okay because they will eventually fix it in a few months time. image

Basically, what I'm saying is that every MMO I've played since Ultima Online times had bugs and most of them were fixed. You can understand whatever you want. You are on your right. When I'm reading: "this game sucks!!, it's not an ES game!!", I'm understanding: "I want to play it for free!!". When I don't like a game, don't write or read news about that game. Just do not play.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by paparios
    Is still Anarchy Online the worst launch ever? We have a major candidate here guys :)

Vanguard.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188
    Well yeah Vanguard was something out of the scale when it comes to release fuck-ups. TESO does not have the tenth bugs Vanguard had but it has 10 times as much bots, goldsellers, hackers and exploiters.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Sabotage campaign: "Oh ESO is making it easy for us."