Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What world would you want to play in?

I was bored and made a poll, here it is :- 

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    I voted space opera. That's the only kind I can't recall having played.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    This poll ought to have had multiple options I think, because people tend to like more than just one thing.
  • AuntieSpeaksAlotAuntieSpeaksAlot Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Helleri

ditto, would love a good space opera, and by that I do not mean endlessly traversing vast regions of dark space, I mean a real space opera with populated interesting areas to visit and diverse races and worlds.  

Originally posted by Gamer54321
    This poll ought to have had multiple options I think, because people tend to like more than just one thing.

limited to 10 options unfortunately and I filled those up fast.  

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Mediaeval. My ideal mmorpg: medieval settings, not too grumpy/.coloured, soft transitions from one hub to another, high chatacter customization (an of course, pve, but that's not in the pole)
    Originally posted by Lithuanian
    Mediaeval. My ideal mmorpg: medieval settings, not too grumpy/.coloured, soft transitions from one hub to another, high chatacter customization (an of course, pve, but that's not in the pole)

I strongly dislike FFA PVP without consequences.  I dislike the sort of player it generally attracts.  So I agree; PVE for me.    

Was trying to concentrate on the setting rather than the play style.  

Originally posted by AuntieSpeaksAlot

ditto, would love a good space opera, and by that I do not mean endlessly traversing vast regions of dark space, I mean a real space opera with populated interesting areas to visit and diverse races and worlds.  

I was thinking more along the lines of....there is a lot of bad costumes, singing and stages involved. like purposely bad space game design...as if it is all a play. My character wears his space ship as a cardboard cutout held up by suspenders and runs from act to act. And, there would be a fat lady in a viking helmet (the horned- stereotypical/dramatized - kind) narrating.

...EVE killed any other idea I had for what a space opera could mean. Waiting should not be a mechanic.

Originally posted by DMKano

No option for "real world"?

nearest was modern warfare.  You mean Sims?  Ran out of slots.  

I was thinking more along the lines of....there is a lot of bad costumes, singing and stages involved. like purposely bad space game design...as if it is all a play. My character wears his space ship a cardboard cutout held up by suspenders and runs from act to act. And there would be a fat lady in a viking helmet (horned- stereotypical/dramatized) narrating.

haha, and Wiliam Shatner would be the protagonist with a lot of green women.  

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    My two favorite game worlds are Age of Conan's and The Secret World's. 
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

Which did you choose out of interest? 

I was thinking more along the lines of....there is a lot of bad costumes, singing and stages involved. like purposely bad space game design...as if it is all a play. My character wears his space ship a cardboard cutout held up by suspenders and runs from act to act. And there would be a fat lady in a viking helmet (horned- stereotypical/dramatized) narrating.

yeah the kind with the tentacles for hair (that's a thing right?) but it would be in crossed wrapped ribbons. They would have Valkyrie outfits and Tridents and i would have to stop Shattner from stealing all zeh virtue, as  part of the epic arc.

I picked ancient world as both sort of fall into that category.  Really awesome games to explore. 

yeah the kind with the tentacles for hair (that's a thing right?) but it would be in crossed wrapped ribbons. They would have Valkyrie outfits and Tridents and i would have to stop Shattner from stealing all zeh virtue, as  part of the epic arc.

I'm thinking Medusa, but that was snakes.  

I picked ancient world as both sort of fall into that category.  Really awesome games to explore. 

I could never get past the clunky combat (and fugly toons) in Secret World.  AOC I loved once they fixed it.  Remember that Ancient Rome/ Greece mmo that was released really buggy then just left on the shelf?  I forget its name.      

I could never get past the clunky combat (and fugly toons) in Secret World.  AOC I loved once they fixed it.  Remember that Ancient Rome/ Greece mmo that was released really buggy then just left on the shelf?  I forget its name.      

Yeah. For everything good Funcom does they do five things wrong IMO. Still though, at least they took some risks with both games. Shame it didn't work out as I felt both games had immense potential. I don't think we'll be seeing another MMO out of Funcom unfortunately. 

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223
    i really would like to see a modern warfare sandbox setting. take the combat mechanics from battlefield, fill it with the resource and production chain mechanics of eve online and place it in a setting like stargate. and of course it should be mainly pve. not that i have anything against pvp, but most of the time developers tend to limit pve options just to get a balance in pvp.

Yeah. For everything good Funcom does they do five things wrong IMO. Still though, at least they took some risks with both games. Shame it didn't work out as I felt both games had immense potential. I don't think we'll be seeing another MMO out of Funcom unfortunately. 

I really, REALLY wanted to like Secret World.  Everything about it was perfect for me, but basically, if you could have extracted ESO combat and put it into the game I would still be playing.  The problem is the moment-to-moment interactions with the world are the most important- the playability- and for me it just had zero playability.  I was disappointed.  

I was thinking those Hot (in a way that you feel a little wrong for thinking) star wars alien women.

I was thinking those Hot (in a way that you feel a little wrong for thinking) star wars alien women.

Oh Lekku.  Yeah, they are cool but SWTOR gives them so limited face options i never played one.  

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

LEGO Minifigures Online image

On topic I like Fantasy, love Sci Fi more but I am harder to please when it comes to Sci Fi MMORPG's

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I'd love to see Tolkien's Middle Earth done right - and no, LOTRO wasn't it. And as a previous poster already mentioned, Medieval could be fun too. Space could be done better than EVE as well, in my opinion.

It would be great to see large worlds. I mean really large, with tens of thousands of players per server. With travel times that could keep such a world in check, and with skill progression spread out over years instead of just days. But it's never going to happen. Not for technical reasons I think, but for demographic ones. I gather that the studios now believe that the average player these days simply won't tolerate not having (easy) access to everything in a game within a very short number of play hours. And they may be right. I can just picture the whining which would go on in such a game. But secondly, MMORPGs (and most other games now) have to be built first and foremost for consoles. So because of this to a large extent game design is devolving, not evolving anymore. How I do hate those wretched boxes...

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

I voted low fantasy, even though people tend to squabble over what that means.  I love fantasy but I dislike high fantasy and steampunk, and supernatural fantasy, so I guess low fantasy (or maybe science fantasy) is what's left for the kind of things I like.  Basically I want to see a world that stands on its own, with no relation to earth.  It has magic which isn't rare, it's an accepted fact of life and involved in mundane things like heating houses, farming, animal breeding, and building all sorts of things.  This magic works in an orderly way, like it's an addition or amendment to the regular laws of physics.  The people, I don't really care if they are humans or anthro aliens as long as they aren't something supernatural or mythological in an old-fashioned non-sensical way.  I'm okay with most cases where an originally supernatural or mythological race concept has been revised to make more biological and cultural sense though.

What I really want to see in a fictional world is some actual culture-building, especially as it would have evolved in the presence of not-quite-human biology.  And I want to see deeply developed characters presented as they would be in a romance novel or a sociological science fiction or fantasy novel.  Other than that I generally like humor, romance, and happy endings; I dislike horror, tragedy, grittiness, and gore.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    Originally posted by Pynda

I'd love to see Tolkien's Middle Earth done right - and no, LOTRO wasn't it. And as a previous poster already mentioned, Medieval could be fun too. Space could be done better than EVE as well, in my opinion.

It would be great to see large worlds. I mean really large, with tens of thousands of players per server. With travel times that could keep such a world in check, and with skill progression spread out over years instead of just days. But it's never going to happen. Not for technical reasons I think, but for demographic ones. I gather that the studios now believe that the average player these days simply won't tolerate not having (easy) access to everything in a game within a very short number of play hours. And they may be right. I can just picture the whining which would go on in such a game. But secondly, MMORPGs (and most other games now) have to be built first and foremost for consoles. So because of this to a large extent game design is devolving, not evolving anymore. How I do hate those wretched boxes...

I like that. I work too much.  But if on my days off I could just sit on your ship (as an example) and earn a little residual xp that would be a mechanic I would really like.  

Originally posted by sunandshadow

I voted low fantasy, even though people tend to squabble over what that means.  I love fantasy but I dislike high fantasy and steampunk, and supernatural fantasy, so I guess low fantasy (or maybe science fantasy) is what's left for the kind of things I like.  Basically I want to see a world that stands on its own, with no relation to earth.  It has magic which isn't rare, it's an accepted fact of life and involved in mundane things like heating houses, farming, animal breeding, and building all sorts of things.  This magic works in an orderly way, like it's an addition or amendment to the regular laws of physics.  The people, I don't really care if they are humans or anthro aliens as long as they aren't something supernatural or mythological in an old-fashioned non-sensical way.  I'm okay with most cases where an originally supernatural or mythological race concept has been revised to make more biological and cultural sense though.

What I really want to see in a fictional world is some actual culture-building, especially as it would have evolved in the presence of not-quite-human biology.  And I want to see deeply developed characters presented as they would be in a romance novel or a sociological science fiction or fantasy novel.  Other than that I generally like humor, romance, and happy endings; I dislike horror, tragedy, grittiness, and gore.

At some point you said 'romance novel' and my brain said moron.