Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did ESO kill the niche?

ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Simple really, Did ESO hurt your niche community? It did mine!

Comments

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    no different and no , are they not the same? Its more like any time a new MMo or for that fact most good SP RPGs come out yes some ppl buy it and play it, its not a big deal, but to answer your poll, no ESO killed nothing, anymore then any other game.

Godz of War I call Thee

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It is only a temporary niche issue.  It will run it's course and go away.

I expect your Niche will return soon.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have not felt a real community since FFXI so no it wouldn't hurt any community.I did notice several players disappear while playing FFXIV to go play TESO but it really did nothing to the game itself.

Every single game is designed for solo play,that is NOT a community building game design.Having players selfishly login to grind some end game dungeons is again no way to build community,just some co op play that disassembles right after the dungeon run.

I find it sad that both gamer's and devs are supporting this type of game design and it is in every game.Then now i see other games like that Chris Roberts game that is doing nothing more than more solo design,solo ships and no community type game design in itself,yet this is what tons of people are supporting for game designs.

This whole wave of gamer's and design makes me wonder if ever since WOW has players and developers forgot what a MMO and a RP and a community game design is all about?I know the premise of WOW it was new ,let's design a game that caters to EVERY single new player because they can jump in solo and not have to worry about community or grouping.However i would think that somewhere along the way people would stop and think,hey why am i pretending to play a MMO when all i do is hang out solo 99% of the time and don't even care  about he game until i can end game raid?I would think a light would click on but nope this is what we are going to see for game design/lack of community build from every game for quite some time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    The only thing TESO killed is a hope that some day we get good MMO based on TES universe
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have not felt a real community since FFXI so no it wouldn't hurt any community.I did notice several players disappear while playing FFXIV to go play TESO but it really did nothing to the game itself.

Every single game is designed for solo play,that is NOT a community building game design.Having players selfishly login to grind some end game dungeons is again no way to build community,just some co op play that disassembles right after the dungeon run.

I find it sad that both gamer's and devs are supporting this type of game design and it is in every game.Then now i see other games like that Chris Roberts game that is doing nothing more than more solo design,solo ships and no community type game design in itself,yet this is what tons of people are supporting for game designs.

This whole wave of gamer's and design makes me wonder if ever since WOW has players and developers forgot what a MMO and a RP and a community game design is all about?I know the premise of WOW it was new ,let's design a game that caters to EVERY single new player because they can jump in solo and not have to worry about community or grouping.However i would think that somewhere along the way people would stop and think,hey why am i pretending to play a MMO when all i do is hang out solo 99% of the time and don't even care  about he game until i can end game raid?I would think a light would click on but nope this is what we are going to see for game design/lack of community build from every game for quite some time.

Maybe because forced grouping is not what makes something an MMO and is also something that only a small portion of the playerbase actually prefers? People play MMOs for a lot of different reasons, all of which have nothing to do with constantly being in groups with others to get things done.

There are also way more people playing now. Most communities are formed within guilds, often made up of a few hundred players. These are the people you will talk to and play with regularly. Thats fine. You dont need to be arbitrary friends with 2 million other people for something to be an MMO or be enjoyable.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

I have not felt a real community since FFXI so no it wouldn't hurt any community.

i highly recommend Age of conan then. It is very niche and you get a strong sense of community there

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Not sure what is meant by niche? Sounds like a generalization really. A fill in the blank question.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I have seen a decline in players on my server but my game countered this with adding PS4 players to it's community the same time TESO came out.  So it's a lot of players flowing in and players flowing out.  I wish TESO great success and believe there is more than enough room for this great game and more.  Add ArcheAge to our list in the USA plz!!!  I think the interwebs could handle forty more great games let alone the three or so that have come out lately.  Everyone was complaining they didn't have anything to do.

Also factor in the number of new players hitting the webs.  Remember population quads itself every generation.  Those little gum chewing spits are getting sucked into flash games.  It's up to us to drag their snotty noses over to the keypad and yell, "Get in a proper game or I'll make you do my laundry for a week!"

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I wouldn't say killed the niche, I would note that there has been a considerable drop in EQ, RIFT, and especially GW2 since it came out though, at least on my servers.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

I have not felt a real community since FFXI so no it wouldn't hurt any community.

i highly recommend Age of conan then. It is very niche and you get a strong sense of community there

I never did when I played it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Simple really, Did ESO hurt your niche community? It did mine!

Are you kidding? WoW destroyed the niche community years ago!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't play games for "the community". So it is irrelevant to me.