Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for: ,f2p, pure PvE

LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Intro: I never thought I would be posting this, but the fact is, I think I need new mmorpg.

Requirements are simple:

1.  free to play without too much restrictions. Lotro model would be absolutely fine.

2. Pure PvE. I am such strange perosn that does not want to be stomped to the ground by someone 50 levels higher

3. Crafting quality items would be superb.

4. Housing is optional: good if it exists for free players, no problem if it's for paying ones.

5. Easy mode. If I need to plan stratehy how to kill lvl.2 rat - it's not for me.

6. Preferably - fantasy style. Anime or adult themes are not an option.

I have tried Runescape. Then - Istaria. Then - Lotro. Istaria and Lotro were great games with perfect approach towards f2p players.

Please understand my preferences (pve+f2p+easy mode). If you dislike them, it's ok, but no need to teach me. Phrases like "ABCD game has PvP, but surely nobody will attack you, we are so cute" are not an option. PvE only servers are an option.

So - any suggestions?

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Not a MMO: Path of Exile

Browser based MMO but well worth the time in my opinion (has everything you want and can be easy mode or as deep as you want, depending how far down the rabbit hole you want to go, possible issue: actions take time but it is hands off so you do not have to always be there and it is F2P with some cosmetics, slots for bags, companions and extra weapons tools in the shop and items to bypass the wait) : Therian Saga

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Lithuanian

Intro: I never thought I would be posting this, but the fact is, I think I need new mmorpg.

Requirements are simple:

1.  free to play without too much restrictions. Lotro model would be absolutely fine.

2. Pure PvE. I am such strange perosn that does not want to be stomped to the ground by someone 50 levels higher

3. Crafting quality items would be superb.

4. Housing is optional: good if it exists for free players, no problem if it's for paying ones.

5. Easy mode. If I need to plan stratehy how to kill lvl.2 rat - it's not for me.

6. Preferably - fantasy style. Anime or adult themes are not an option.

I have tried Runescape. Then - Istaria. Then - Lotro. Istaria and Lotro were great games with perfect approach towards f2p players.

Please understand my preferences (pve+f2p+easy mode). If you dislike them, it's ok, but no need to teach me. Phrases like "ABCD game has PvP, but surely nobody will attack you, we are so cute" are not an option. PvE only servers are an option.

So - any suggestions?

Well I can think of two games that are now F2P and if you haven't tried them I think you should

Very different - so I would recommend both.

Rift - 1st choice.

Aion - 2nd choice (you can glide and actually fly).

There are others - but I think that both has such a good F2P model that I would start from them.

Enjoy.

And if you want to start something new - there are still Beta Weekend keys for WildStar this weekend. Try it out - and who knows - maybe you will like it so much you will actually like to pay for it.

Just my 2 cents...

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Big thanks to everyone who contributed. Current list:

1. Path of Exile
    2. Therian Saga
    3. Rift
    4. Aion

However, all these games have PvP listed as "yes" in mmorpg.com. Other examples:

Path Of exile: "PvP | Highly competitive PvP environments, including tournaments and world PvP areas."

Therian saga: unclearm only "PvP:yes"

Rift (by far probably the best candidate *if* content is soloable): "Warfronts and Conquest | Engage in two-faction PvP in instanced Warfronts or three-faction open-world PvP with Rift's Conquest mode."

Aion:though Asian (and I am not a fan of a hero wielding 100 meter high and 20 meter wide sword) and sounds promising, still with "PvP:yes".

Questions about all mentioned games: do they have some failsafes versus PvP, like "PvE only server" or like in Lotro, "turn sparring requests off"? Or - like Istaria - PvP is only in certain instances and not a step aside?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

To be honest, my suggestion would be LotRO, but you've already listed it among played ones :) (and with U13 the easy-mode got a kick in the groin for those below lvl50-60 anyways)

Second, I'd join to those who said Rift. (though I don't have too much experience with it, just a few months) The model is great, the housing is one of the bests, fairly easy mode, fantasy setting. Can't comment on the pvp, never saw it while I was in there, but I heard it exists... :)

Third, AoC. Not a perfect match ("adult themes are not an option." but it's much better now than it was at the f2p launch :) nowadays you can't see folks running around with barely nothing on them). Also lacking the "Crafting quality items would be superb." - until the crafting revamp at least, but that's in the work for a really long time now... (edit: I must add, when it will go live, based on the plans and the infos so far, it'd be awesome, detailed and complex.)

But it has a very allowing f2p model (except the Godslayer expansion), no personal housing but can build guild cities from the scratch through crafting, pretty much easy mode, and fantasy style. There's no pvp on the PvE server (except on separate areas, like Ettenmoors in LotRO). There was a dev letter on April 1st that they're planning to put some open pvp on Crom (the PvE server), followed by a fun and lengthy thread, but I still don't know whether it was just a joke, or they really are planning it in the future...

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I would put in for Rift as well.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Rift:tried. Still I feel it misses something. Too technogenic (steam warmachines? after Istaria and Lotro can't get accustomed to).

Aion - downloaded, but it won't run so far. will try to look at solution.

Any other fantazy f2p pve easy mode suggestions?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    EQ2 is a good choice, as is TERA imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Are these truly free with PvP and easy mode?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Tera has very little restrictions not sure about EQ2.

• randprinrandprin Member UncommonPosts: 61

games i'd suggest

- neverwinter, it's pretty much free and you can get everything a paying costumer get, although at a snail's pace sometimes). 

- DDO, a bit old but still decent PVE game.

- if you're ok with semi fantasy in a sci fi based theme, swtor can also appeal to you (glowsticks and force powers = swords and sorcery)

if you don't like pvp, i'd steer clear of Aion, as it has a free approach to pvp (after level 10 you can be attacked by opposite faction without restriction). and while leveling 1-50 you probably won't encounter the other faction outside the abyss (not a safe bet, as there are rifts that allow passage between asmo and elyos lands and the people who actually take them are usually in the ganking mindset and gear) after level 50 most zones are both shared, and will nudge you in the direction of pvp (i think the last time i played it, then even removed most of the enforced safe zones in the first xpac area).

MMORPG addict since 1995.

• ShadlorShadlor Member UncommonPosts: 8

In regards to Path of Exile

PvP is a player's choice . you "Can" to enter the Pvp arena after entering act 2's encampment. 

The only open PvP  are the Cut thoart league races. 

If  you are a PvE'er if you play Standard , Hardcore , or the seasonal league's  you do not have to PvP at all.

As to the Easy mode , well thats upto the player. but i find the game difficult at a Merciless act 3 standard league player

runing by myself

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

IT's been a while since I have been in EQ2, but afaik it has very little restrictions nowadays. It has crafting, housing, "easy-pve", pvp only if one wants to. there is a cash-shop, yes, it has all from vanity items, to practical stuff, a bit like lotro, I guess. 

as with all f2p - just download it and try.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    you must be so rich if you are looking for f2p game.. iam not so i play p2p ;)
    Originally posted by kosac

Yes,s you are talking to a very rich player that has purchased almost all Lotro regions (except Trollshaws, North downs and greta River) ands many game stuff yet spending zero cents of real world cash. I have pretty much time.

Aion looked very promising. Anime-style a bit, but my big-chested Cleric of Asmodeians was feeling great there. Well, pvp means taboo for me :-|

What I understood - Rift does not fascinate me. it may be super good, but steam machines and some folks (witnessed gold sellers as well as "US are ***, we EU are good", "no, EU is ***,we US are good") while no game master/moderator/whatever intervend. What I am facinated is Lotro interface, mediaeval non-overloaded fantasy.

Will try next mentioned games.WIll post how am I doing there. And thanks for helping me.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Pity that Rift didn't grab you.  I played from beta on to over 2 years.  Very open class/soul system.  Very soloable.  There are even solo (or duo) instances of several of the raids and more that you can get great stuff in.  At peak levels there's great currency based gear you can easily obtain without raiding.

There is pvp but it's instanced and you must actively join the queue for it, so that's a non-issue.

Last I played I moved my characters and guild to the Hailol server.  It seemed very tame compared to the cesspools like Wolfsbane, .. Now I've forgotten the server names.. The RP server is heavily trolled (it's F2P - what can I say), so stay away from that one as well.

You'll likely not give Rift another go based on what you said, but I just wanted to voice my opinion that you're missing out on a great deal of fun.

Not to mention housing is second to none, and freely available to all players.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck on your quest for a new game.

Originally posted by kosac

Yes,s you are talking to a very rich player that has purchased almost all Lotro regions (except Trollshaws, North downs and greta River) ands many game stuff yet spending zero cents of real world cash. I have pretty much time.

Will try next mentioned games.WIll post how am I doing there. And thanks for helping me.

Both North Downs and Trollshaws got revamped with U13 this monday, maybe you could check back and play them...

If Rift is off the list, then there's the 3rd one in my previous post, AoC, give it also a try. Maybe some of the best dungeons on the market, good writing, a cool combat system (and this comes from someone who's giving a sh*t about combat, but AoC's is a fun one. If you have a warden in LotRO, it will be familiar right away), good f2p model, good graphics. Oh, and you can have a big-chested priest too, if that was a great feeling in Aion :)

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i would also say EQ2 or you can try Vanguard (if you looking for someth short term) before it get shut down :)

A pity.

A pity I can't give reputatio in mmorpg.com. Would give Po_gg as many as I could.

Rift has big sould system. If Lotro's virtues gives only ~70.000 combinations, I guess we coiuld only count in millions in Rift. Maybe one day I will give it a try (remember, I entered Lotro from third try, first two were "jeez, awfull, get me out!").

Making big-chested priestesses is just a kind of joke. My main toon would always be male, maybe Dwarf or Human.

Age of Connan: really PvE? mmorpg.com lists as PvP-yes

Rift has big sould system. If Lotro's virtues gives only ~70.000 combinations, I guess we coiuld only count in millions in Rift. Maybe one day I will give it a try (remember, I entered Lotro from third try, first two were "jeez, awfull, get me out!").

Making big-chested priestesses is just a kind of joke. My main toon would always be male, maybe Dwarf or Human.

Age of Connan: really PvE? mmorpg.com lists as PvP-yes

Yep, agree. While I'm not a big Rift'er, the two parts I always point out when Rift is the topic are the soul system and the dimensions (housing). And with the f2p switch, their model. So it's three. Damn, it's like the Python's spanish inquisition scene all over again :)

AoC has 3 servers presently after the merges (they're heading towards the megaserver tech like TSW), a PvE, a PvP and a special ruleset PvP. On the PvE server there's no pvp except in a totally optional separate area, like Ettenmoors in LotRO. If you don't go in there, there's no pvp. And you don't need to go there, again, just like in LotRO. There's nothing mandatory (quest, items, loot, crafting mat, etc) you need from there.

(I also mentioned the big chests in a sarcastic way, hence the :) )

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Already been mentioned but EQ2 is always a good choice for PVE , good classes with great crafting and housing...

Eldevin is browser based f2p PVE game .. nice old school feel to it..

someone mentioned Villagers and Heroes ... there is a lot of game there also for F2p

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312
    An oldie but goody would be Dungeons and Dragons Online.  Really the only other f2p game that I enjoyed that hasn't been mentioned.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Ryzom could certainly be worth trying if you don't mind their payment model(it's the free to a certain lvl style). I think it would tick most of those things on your list(if not all) but not sure what the population is like though.

Also if you play(ed) lotro what about ddo?

AoC: considering. Whart frightens me - very advanced combat, much like Lotro's Warden. great if you master, woe if you fail. And gambits - I never used them in Lotro, was always too impatient.

Neverwinter:sounds promising, yet...some software (Arc client) to download in order to play. No client. Perfect world's forum full of angry people demanding this Arc to be removed.

Terra: thought it could be an option...when saw client. 25 Gigabytes, even with torrent it could take >3 hours.

(a pity I have to leave Lotro. if only there was something much like Lotro, just forever in easy mode...)

AoC: nah, not that advanced, and don't need to "master it" except maybe for pvp or very endgame-tiered raids and dungeons. And it's still fun just playing without a strict rotation and stuff, with jump in, moving around and bashing the heads :)

Also it's only an issue with melee combat, the casters use the "regular" hotbar clicking / pushing method like other mmo's, so if you pick from them (demo and necro for dps'ing, or PoM and ToS for healing), you won't have to fiddle with the combo system. PoM (Mitra priest) is maybe the closest to LotRO's minstrel, but bear in mind that AoC relies much more on HoT's and group heals than mini's direct burst bolster spam :).

Neverwinter, I agree on Arc, and it's even worse for those who have years in STO and CO... damn you PWE and your drive to have your own lame steam clone...

Tera: can't comment on that, maybe the only game where I hit uninstall even before the free month was expired... and after the f2p switch, I haven't checked back for free either :)

LotRO, yep, U13 changed a lot, especially for a first impression / defeat. I also wrote against their choosed method, but I admit, after some honing and adjusting it's just a bit harder than it was for the mid-level range (and almost no change in the endgame), but I can also agree that many folks won't waste the time and effort to change and adjust. I think Turbine sees it too, they already said they'll do some more balancing with the next updates.

If you do come back however, there were cool stuff in U13 as well, I love the inventory update (now it's almost as free like in TSW), the changes in the Task system and the deeds will make the reputation earning much easier, not to mention the freebies it now gives (when I first logged in after U13 I just watched for at least 30 seconds that the announcement lines rolling... marks, pots, lootboxes and keys, even my inventory was filled when it finished adding up my free stuff :) )

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

If you liked lotro and never played EQ2 you should. EQ2 has more content than any other game on the market and has a lot in common with lotro.