Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

world of darkness is no more ...

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/215430/CCP_cans_World_of_Darkness_MMO_after_eight_years_of_development.php

So i guess Blizz is not the only one ditching their new MMO (i.e. titan). May be CCP can make a MOBA or a card game now.

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Well, that's unfortunate. A non-space sandbox would've been nice. A bit more info here:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/14/world-of-darkness-mmo-an-unfortunate-casualty-of-latest-round-of-ccp-layoffs/

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Great there goes the mmo I was hoping to play in the future

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

That's what happens when a company spends all their money on a console exclusive FPS to a game on PC set in a universe only PC gamers really care about.

It's honestly probably one of the biggest blunders I've ever seen a company make, and they're still continuing on with it in a desperate attempt to save face. This will not end well...

Hopefully they'll at least sell the WoD license to somebody capable of producing a quality MMO with the franchise. Maybe with that money they can at least put out Dust on PC, where people might actually care.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I already knew this wasn't going to happen years ago. No real shocker there

Too bad. The game could have been awesome

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Hopefully they'll at least sell the WoD license to somebody capable of producing a quality MMO with the franchise. Maybe with that money they can at least put out Dust on PC, where people might actually care.

Or they can just make a single player WoD RPG. Smaller scope, less investment, plenty of CRPG audience, plus there is a lack of vampire based RPGs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    It must be pretty demoralizing to spend 8 years working on a development project only for it to be canned before release. 
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

That's what happens when a company spends all their money on a console exclusive FPS to a game on PC set in a universe only PC gamers really care about.

It's honestly probably one of the biggest blunders I've ever seen a company make, and they're still continuing on with it in a desperate attempt to save face. This will not end well...

The Dust thing is a complete mystery, especially now that it's not even announced for PS4. Not that anyone would want to play an ugly game like that on a shiny PS4 to begin with...

Originally posted by Scalpless

The Dust thing is a complete mystery, especially now that it's not even announced for PS4. Not that anyone would want to play an ugly game like that on a shiny PS4 to begin with...

I doubt it is successful enough to warrant a PS4 port/upgrade.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Some idiot of a company would probably turn it into a themepark quest chain nightmare, with hundreds of vampires running around a city collecting 10 blood vials and draining 10 evil gang members. At least we knew we'd get something good with CCP, but in the hands of someone else, I'm not so sure.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Sad to hear...At least they called it quits on it and didn't try to morph it into something else (like Jagex - Mechscape>Stellar Dawn>Transformers Universe). Or keep keep a small devoted group of people perpetually waiting (like StainedGlassLlama - Divergence Online). They had the guts to just say "nope ain't happening sorry."

I'd actually rather see it have an honest death at least. And, am not comfortable with the idea that it may get sold to be finished by someone who didn't have part in it from the outset.

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Some idiot of a company would probably turn it into a themepark quest chain nightmare, with hundreds of vampires running around a city collecting 10 blood vials and draining 10 evil gang members. At least we knew we'd get something good with CCP, but in the hands of someone else, I'm not so sure.

Or turn it into a great SP game with Bioshock Infinite type stories, and Dishonored type stealth/action gameplay.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Or turn it into a great SP game with Bioshock Infinite type stories, and Dishonored type stealth/action gameplay.

Would love a new WoD SP game, Vampire: Bloodlines is one of my all time favorite RPG's. I haven't played Bioshock Infinite so can't comment there, mainly because I was never a fan of the other two Bioshock games, but Dishonored I thought did stealth gameplay really badly. I'd rather Hitman style for stealth. If they could somehow mix in some sort of Walking Dead storytelling, Telltale style, then I'd be a happy bunny.

Would love a new WoD SP game, Vampire: Bloodlines is one of my all time favorite RPG's. I haven't played Bioshock Infinite so can't comment there, mainly because I was never a fan of the other two Bioshock games, but Dishonored I thought did stealth gameplay really badly. I'd rather Hitman style for stealth. If they could somehow mix in some sort of Walking Dead storytelling, Telltale style, then I'd be a happy bunny.

we have different tastes. Out of Dishonored, Hitman Absolution and Deus Ex Human Evolutoin, I like Dishonored's gameplay most, and Hitman least (although in absolute terms, i still enjoy the game). The primary reason is that in Dishonored, there are more places you can go (i really like going UP to the roof tops and what not and plan my attack from high), and more approaches to a mission, than Hitman.

I will also throw in Splinter Cell too which i like. There are lots of things they can do with a vampire setting and stealth/action gameplay with some RPG elements.

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    Damnit, well there goes my hopes for a good vampire mmo :( 
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

CCP, dont sell the rights to the Blizzard please!

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

Would be awesome if Telltales did a vampire game.

Im sorry but I just cant find any good vampire games, there arent any IMO.

The only thing I consider have some genuine vampire feeling is vampyrism in Skyrim

and that aint too great either. And yea I liked masquerade but time flies by,

and that game is old and feels old, too old for me.

I was hoping WOD would do it but now that hope is forever gone....

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I am not sure they would have been able to deliver even with the correct funding. The political system was a insanely ambitious project even if they used null sec gameplay as a base.

As for a SP game.. I think Activision owns those publishing rights. So that is probably a no-no unless they are on the boat. (after all CCP owns White Wolf, but that means nothing when it comes to games... Just look at the mess that is Marvel movie licenses)

Originally posted by Ontblod

Im sorry but I just cant find any good vampire games, there arent any IMO.

The only thing I consider have some genuine vampire feeling is vampyrism in Skyrim

Well there is VtM Bloodlines, it is decent but getting a bit old and you need to put some time in to downloading som mods for it to shine. But all in all not a bad game... especially for a 10 year old one.

This have been a good conversation

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by crack_fox
    It must be pretty demoralizing to spend 8 years working on a development project only for it to be canned before release. 

"before release" is a bit of a broad term here, seeing as the project wasn't much more then a project.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by zzax

It would be great if Blizz does a polished SP game on vampires.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by zzax

why not ?,only blizzard still making good new games ,if they making something bad ,it ll be repaired in two years for sure

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Why would we "know" CCP would make something good. Dust is good? Eve is the only mmo they have with any success and that is nitch success with some outstanding failures in it...how is that walking in stations going?
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Why would we "know" CCP would make something good. Dust is good? Eve is the only mmo they have with any success and that is nitch success with some outstanding failures in it...how is that walking in stations going?

Yeh .. Blizz has a much better track record.

Warcarft series is good

Starcraft series is good

Diablo series is good.

WoW is good.

* note that good can be subjective .. but in this case, "good" means scores on metacritics is high, and those games are financially successful.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I did not meantion Blizzard. I only made the point that CCP has not done much to believe it could not screw a game up.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by StonesDK

I already knew this wasn't going to happen years ago. No real shocker there

Too bad. The game could have been awesome

True.

WiS was a product of WoD carbon and they said years ago, "It doesn't work". We knew it was DoA, CCP just needed some me time to accept that they and a shitload of their money were chasing vaporware.