Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Dawngate: Breaking the Meta at PAX East

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

While the MOBA genre is young, it’s quickly becoming a crowded space, which makes Waystone Games’ Dawngate interesting because it does a number of things to set itself apart from the pack. We had a chance to discuss all those things and more at this year’s PAX East where we sat down with Dawngate lead producer Dave Cerra and creative director Hunter Howe.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Dawngate: Breaking the Meta at PAX East.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    Is this a MOBA?
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Allacore69
    Is this a MOBA?

Yes. :)

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    How exciting, another MOBA.....
    Originally posted by urbanmech
    How exciting, another MOBA.....

If you're a fan of MOBAs, I think there is a lot to be excited for in Dawngate.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Sounds rather same-ish to me, both gameplay and art wise.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    It's actually really different and very good. I've been playing since alpha.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Scalpless
    Sounds rather same-ish to me, both gameplay and art wise.

It's really not, actually. Give it a try for yourself. :)

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26

I've been playing Dawngate since last year, and I never played other moba since then. I abandoned an account with years for this game.

Just amazing!

Originally posted by Teshrrar

I've been playing Dawngate since last year, and I never played other moba since then. I abandoned an account with years for this game.

Just amazing!

What about it got you to switch over like that?

• marksteelemarksteele Member UncommonPosts: 60

I got into the dawngate beta recently and I'm really enjoying it. The resource mining is an interesting edition to the gameplay, while I feel it serves a purpose, the limited amount of items and item tiers really makes the redundant end-game.

In terms of the gameplay pace, games tend to be really rushed or really drawn out. I get the feeling that the power of the enemy base has something to do with this. There's been multiple games where I won/lost because my team/enemy team attacked their/our base too quickly and died. Overall though I feel like that adds more of a challenge to the game.

As for what they need to improve on, matchmaking, matchmaking, MATCHMAKING!!! I've played about 20 games now and I still get matched with first timers, they need to do an MMR system or some other kind of ranking system. Another needed addition is voice chat, I know some people argue against it but with this game breaking from the meta you often need to explain your actions far more than in a normal moba. Finally, and somewhat controversially, they need to add a "Only play with players in X area option" so people can choose who they match with in a solo queue

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I pl;ayed for one round and quit and will not play it again.It is exactly the same as all the rest DOta/Starcraft/LOL all the same.

This actually had me not knowing anything about any character.I finally saw some icon to click for solo and waited for a que ue.I am sure my team was pissed when i quit so quickly.I expected some tutorial playing solo versus a npc.

Too much twitching around targeting not a very relaxing type game,i feel you need to be 14 years old in hyper mode constantly twitching from one target to another and spending hours trying to learn the keystrokes and what each one does for each class.

Sadly everyone keeps copying what makes this genre bad like overhead cameras that do not offer a good view of the game. i wanted to use the arrow keys to move the camera but then i would need 3 hands..grrrr.Random spawning minions again same old.Start at home base attack obstacles all exactly the same.Same cheap graphics,weak maps nothing is exciting about Moba's and i highly doubt anyone will get it right.

Oh well the millions that enjoy this type of gaming will do just fine without me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Teshrrar

Just amazing!

What about it got you to switch over like that?

Because Dawngate sounds like an evolution. The map, the no-mana, the objectives, the items, the new way to build, the status, everything looks like an upgrade to me.

They took all good things which the moba genre have and improved them. For example, the action itself. The no-mana feature allow action all time. I don't need restrange myself, just need think with strategy, since my opponent have the same resource, or in that case, no-resourse. The 2 lane map improved action too, making the jungler (hunter there) a lot more important and active.

All that excluded little things which you had to control, to permit new styles of play more focused in action strategy. Without mention what they did to the combat, reducing the "global damage" and make fights more long, more tactical. You can't explode someone in one balanced match. You can't neither underestimate a weak opponent, because the "comeback feature" is strongly present.

Well, sorry for my imperfect english, I'm still improving, but since you asked, I tried explain everything what I loved on the game. PvP, for me, if not turn based, have to allow you fight, really fight, and Dawngate do this.