Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: The Improvements We've Been Waiting For

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Guild Wars 2 has seen a tremendous amount of mostly temporary, but still exciting content over the first year of its Living Story.  What has been overshadowed by the story of Scarlet and her plans for Tyria however are the multitude of game-enhancing features that ArenaNet has been working on over the months as well. That all changes a bit later today when the first mammoth Feature Pack goes live in-game as ANet gives us a Living Story break before season 2 begins (presumably next month when the game launches in China, I’d say). We had a great interview and demo of the new pack on the dev server with Colin Johanson and Jon Peters, which we’ve pasted below.  But just below that, we’ll give you a bulleted list of all the things coming along with the Feature Pack when it launches a bit later today.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: The Improvements We've Been Waiting For.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80
    Was this the "big news" you guys were teasing last week? Stuff we already knew about?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Lydeck
    Was this the "big news" you guys were teasing last week? Stuff we already knew about?

Blame RipperX's non-descript tweet.  We've commented on it before, but suffice to say: yes. This is what we were talking to JP and CJ with, no more or less. The Tweet Rip put out was too vague the hype train on reddit ran away with it way too fast.

We do have a really cool giveaway from ANet coming up today/tomorrow that hopefully will make up for the misleading tweet.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

man- i have yet to call a good fantasy mmo a home for me. until TSW tokyo launch....

I thought GW2 was it -unfortunately no 'personal story' growth or expansions in this game.-so dissapointed.

WoW , ive just out grown that.- D3 has taken its place!

I was eager for ESO, and iam not impressed with their pvp system and endgame content to come.

my only hopes is Wildstar-amd its the only one that seems promising from beta play and content videos..

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

This patch will take me out of ESO for a while...which is good....too much Tamriel lately :P

Good changes incoming to GW2.

I´m really excited about the new traits obtainable by events...achievements etc

and also about the wardrobe and megaserver revamp!

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    So was all of this coming out today or was it just a slow trickle of all that mentioned ?  The official post seemed a little vague on what all was coming today. Course i am old so maybe i just read it wrong.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin
    So was all of this coming out today or was it just a slow trickle of all that mentioned ?  The official post seemed a little vague on what all was coming today. Course i am old so maybe i just read it wrong.

Yep, it's all coming today!

My Review Manifesto

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78

Good interview Bill Murphey. I really liked the talk about China at the end. Chinese players are probably just as frustrated getting treated like second rate citizens, as we are about Korean games. 

WE ARE ALL ONE - GENKI SUDO

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I get major headaches when i hear audio coming from one ear only, so I'll leave this little pointer here.

If you pull your headphones audiojack out just a little bit, the audio will be played through both sides of the headset even if It's originally not :)

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Blame RipperX's non-descript tweet. 

Just throw a RipperX, to the bonfire.

The Hype killing me.

l2p

Originally posted by Piscore

Blame RipperX's non-descript tweet. 

Just throw a RipperX, to the bonfire.

He's dead now. But came back as a Risen.

My Review Manifesto

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    • 40 New Traits – Gained via exploring and events, or straight up gold/skill point purchasing 

Wth? You can buy skill points now?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Originally posted by bcbully
    • 40 New Traits – Gained via exploring and events, or straight up gold/skill point purchasing 

You can't buy skill points. With new trait system, some traits are locked. You can unlock them with exploring and events. Or if you don't want to do them, you can buy them. Lets say you want a rare trait. That costs you I don't know lets say 10 skill points and 50 silver. Pay the price and done. That's all.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    These are definitely some great quality of life changes.  I like the idea of changing traits on the fly w/o a gold sink or specific location attached.  I think they are doing the right things with the megaserver tech as well.  They were smart to take the wait and see approach with it, which has always served Blizzard well, and figured how and when to incorporate it into the game.  ANet is still showing their commitment to the game's future and to the people who have bought the game, even if some don't play it anymore.  I can't wait to see what type of numbers they get with China's launch.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Blame RipperX's non-descript tweet.  We've commented on it before, but suffice to say: yes. This is what we were talking to JP and CJ with, no more or less. The Tweet Rip put out was too vague the hype train on reddit ran away with it way too fast.

We do have a really cool giveaway from ANet coming up today/tomorrow that hopefully will make up for the misleading tweet.

What about the tweet from a few months ago (December or January, I believe) that not-so-vaguely suggested that GW2 was working on something that was "even better" than an expansion?  (Well I guess that was pretty vague afterall, but its intention certainly was not.)   Did that just turn out to be the Lion's Arch finale to season 1's Living Story?

• cprikcprik Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Might come back if they fundamenrally change the way combat, mana, spells, class roles work

now its just a mindless spam be it pvp or pve
  • GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30

Actually we blame you guys as a whole. Not only that. Colin claims he never said 4 feature packs a year as you guys are trying to say. You guys really dropped the ball on honest journalism. This was nothing more than an attempt at site its rather than being honest to people that frequent your site.

Here are some links for proof

Colin stating facts on reddit:

http://imgur.com/oh3yF9H

/r/guildwars2 basically calling MMORPGS a hype train for hits, asking ANet to give previews to people that deserve it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/233pu2/looks_like_mmorpgcoms_big_news_was_basically_just/

I am pretty disappointed in you guys.

• GamerToonsGamerToons Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's not like that. There are grandmaster traits that can be earned or bought. They are new to the game as they are changing up progression. They can be bought for people that do not want to do PVP achievements for example. You still have to meet the level requirement for the traits.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I'm excited, I havn't played in almost a year it seems like. They are FINALLY adding something that I give a shit about, character progression tied into the games pve world rather then just earned via grinding xp. They had an even better version of this in Guild Wars Uno with actual skills being gained almost entirely through quests.. hopefully this shows them that that system worked, and they work it into the game more and more as time goes. 

One grip, they claimed dyes would be account bound at launch, then they weren't so that they could milk dyes on the cash shop. That was bullshit. Anyways it's nice to see them finally live up to that launch feature... the account bound skins being a nice touch as well. 

As for the RipperX f-up, who cares? It's either a mistake or it's dishonesty, but either way, it's not like you're suddenly going to stop reading the forums and articles here.. and if you did... who would even know?

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

The folks over on the Official Forums are generally not as enthused about these changes as you, Bill.  In fact, I would use the words "furious", "frustrated", "enraged", and "perplexed".  In particular, the changes to Traits (this thread) and Wardrobe/dyes (this thread) are filled with very angry people.

There was no need to re-work the Trait system.  It was perfectly fine.  Many classes really needed the infusion of traits earlier in the leveling process, and now they have to wait until level 30.  People that gathered traits and started a build logged in and found their characters heavily nerfed by having all those traits removed.  Additionally, now some traits require completion of special events or straight up purchasing for skill points and gold. 

I don't recall one thread ever where the community was clamoring for Trait changes on this level or scale.  Of all the ways they could have improved the game they did this.  What a mess.

They completely screwed up the wardrobe and dye system for those who like their town clothes as well.  So much so, that they are refunding people who bought various sets and pieces that this new system screws over.

I don't know who was "waiting for these improvements", Bill, but it certainly wasn't the players.  The forums are completely on fire right now.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I had no problems with the previous trait system.  The new one?   Im not sure what to make of it yet.  Give it time I suppose and play around with it.
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Guild Wars 2 has seen a tremendous amount of mostly temporary, but still exciting content over the first year of its Living Story.

Well you define tremendous quite different, then me. Living story is a joke, or has been. There is still near to no new content in this MMO which nears its second birthday. When I roll a new alt, I will stil play the exact same content with no options. Boring. Those tweaks and polishes don't reanimate the game for people who don't play arcade style but go for any meaningful content. Another advertising article for GW2...

They promised something big for 2014 last year. I am still waiting for it.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Where is the group content? Most things in GW2 can be done solo or a small group. Guild missions is the only thing guilds can do together. There is WvWvW, however usually that turns into a zergfest.

These features are presented as a game changer....... however after I unlocked my new traits, I already got a cool looking outfit, what new is there to do for me? Where is the challenging and fun providing content?

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    The new trait system will take some getting used too. But I'm really liking the wardrobe change. Btw
    Guys, its called the "feature pack." Meaning gameplay improvements, not brand new extra content. "HYPE"?

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Damn finger puppets.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Originally posted by Telondariel
    The folks over on the Official Forums are generally not as enthused about these changes as you, Bill.  In fact, I would use the words "furious", "frustrated", "enraged", and "perplexed".  In particular, the changes to Traits (this thread) and Wardrobe/dyes (this thread) are filled with very angry people. There was no need to re-work the Trait system.  It was perfectly fine.  Many classes really needed the infusion of traits earlier in the leveling process, and now they have to wait until level 30.  People that gathered traits and started a build logged in and found their characters heavily nerfed by having all those traits removed.  Additionally, now some traits require completion of special events or straight up purchasing for skill points and gold.  I don't recall one thread ever where the community was clamoring for Trait changes on this level or scale.  Of all the ways they could have improved the game they did this.  What a mess. They completely screwed up the wardrobe and dye system for those who like their town clothes as well.  So much so, that they are refunding people who bought various sets and pieces that this new system screws over. I don't know who was "waiting for these improvements", Bill, but it certainly wasn't the players.  The forums are completely on fire right now.

We're, the majority of playerbase are very happy about the changes. The only ones who don't like the changes are the old little pvp minority. Those who never do pve before. Because they lost their shiny skins. And now they see pve players with shiny items everywhere they look. New trait system is a lot better then it used to be. Players need to get used to it a little that's all. New wardrobe and megaserver system and the top of that new pvp rewards are amazing. If you want to know the real reaction about the patch , login Gw2 and read the chat screen.