Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems only way to level now is questing

Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

After last few patches now the only way to level is by questing this is a slippery slope for a AAA mmorpg some players can't stand questing and like to grind by doing dungeons and grouping now that part of the game no longer works for leveling.

Also questing with a friend is a pain because there is no syncing of quest objectives and sometimes you actually still go out of sync with them and they vanish while grouping.

Also some player hate questing and killing mobs and doing dungeons but love crafting, there is no way to level a character doing crafting either all games i have played players gain exp through crafting but not in ESO.

Just having one way to level in a game will turn off a large portion of the player base i really think they should make different ways to level other than questing.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Its the one thing about the game that I don't like. I like having the option of both questing and grinding. Dungeons should be a good way to level.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

Skyshards don't require leveling and you can add skills that way; this is important for crafting toons.  To what end would you like to level up?  You can participate in PvP at level 10, for example; and there are no endgame raids, etc. to play.  I'm asking because the story-driven questing is the main design element of the game, and asking for a bypass is the equivalent of asking to bypass, well, the game.

If you want to level quickly you can treat quests in traditional MMO fashion and ignore what they're saying and gather up the quest rewards.   Some people did level very quickly, so perhaps asking folks who are high level what they did to get to 50 in a week or so would be helpful.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    I didn't see anything in the patch notes to state that grinding mobs was no longer effective?
  • DiggotsILaggotsDiggotsILaggots Member Posts: 24
    I enjoy doing dungeons. Mostly because I am a healer. Doing solo content as a healer is fun but it's a lot more fun to heal in a group, like in dungeons. They reduced the XP from mobs because people did dungeons, but come on? Why would you do that Zenimax. Let people have options. I'd like to level up and do dungeons for a few levels, let me. I don't want to quest 24/7 and there are people that play your game that don't like questing at all and just want group content.
  • DiggotsILaggotsDiggotsILaggots Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by bobfish
    I didn't see anything in the patch notes to state that grinding mobs was no longer effective?

They changed this a few weeks ago. Reduced XP you get from mobs and they clearly stated "We don't want people to level in dungeons".

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by ohioastro

Skyshards don't require leveling and you can add skills that way; this is important for crafting toons.  To what end would you like to level up?  You can participate in PvP at level 10, for example; and there are no endgame raids, etc. to play.  I'm asking because the story-driven questing is the main design element of the game, and asking for a bypass is the equivalent of asking to bypass, well, the game.

If you want to level quickly you can treat quests in traditional MMO fashion and ignore what they're saying and gather up the quest rewards.   Some people did level very quickly, so perhaps asking folks who are high level what they did to get to 50 in a week or so would be helpful.

Well i got early access and i play 10+ hours a day i am only level 22 i tried to see if there was a way other than questing to level there is not grinding mobs gives tiny amounts of exp.

All players that hit 50 all rushed through quests to get to level 50 didn't do any crafting or dungeons this should not be the only way to level.

All i did was grind mobs and dungeons as for skyshards you can't take a level 3 char in a level 30 zone without getting slaughttered.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437
    I like having the option of questing or macroing a grind spot too.
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

While I certainly applaud the quality of the PvE quests, I would definitely prefer to level via PvP.   Once I realized that wasn't a reasonable option, the game lost a lot of appeal for me.   

I think ANet did it right in terms of providing many viable leveling paths including WvW.   The variety of zones you can choose to level in is also quite nice.     And if you just wanted to PvP, they let you boost to 80, choose your build / gear and go without ever dealing with questing.  

Options are a good thing in MMO's.   

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Players only care about themselves and not how they impact the game for others (yes, it's only natural, but it's also why we can't have nice things).

The only reason they they nerfed mob xp was because people were just spawn camping bosses and aoe grinding. Thereby skipping the game itself while also indirectly griefing people who were trying to complete quests and objectives, and in some cases, causes quests to bug because they would just spam kill mobs so fast that events didn't have time to reset.

I'm all for letting people have more freedom to play as they want, but when you have that freedom, maybe don't exploit it so much?

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

You can get large chunks of xp from

* Picking chests

* Talking to NPCs in Inns to discover new locations on the other factions - exploration xp

* Killing enemies above your level. Kill 20 and you will see the difference

* Dungeons

I went to Alik'r desert earlier than my level and have exhausted the quests there so now I'm leveling in other ways.

I had heard content more than 6 levels above you gave no xp or drops which is nonsense as I was getting both from golden saints 10 levels higher than my character. Kill 20 and you will notice a difference on your xp bar... kill 2-3 and you probably wont.

Originally posted by DiggotsILaggots

They changed this a few weeks ago. Reduced XP you get from mobs and they clearly stated "We don't want people to level in dungeons".

Ah... okay this only applies to group dungeons. AOE mob grinding in open world, public dungeons or delves is still the fastest way to level then. It was working fine for me at the weekend and guild mates have been doing it for VR content in grouped dungeons without issue as well.

If they haven't changed anything in today's patch, then AOE grinding mobs is still viable.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Well, they need to change how solo dungeon bosses are done, i am sorry but i had 3 missed in the daggerfall area and i was level 25, so i went back to just get the completion. Every single dungeon boss had 10-20 bots camping them, they lived for less then 5 seconds before the bots annihilated them, it was pretty difficult to actually get in a hit hard enough to get me credit.

Zenimax have obviously used phasing tech extensively in the game, why not phase out the boss after so many kills per 15 minutes... or whatever, just seems ridiculous they allow this kind of rampant farming to continue, its how these gold sellers make there gold, yet Zenimax seem to not really care about it.

Also, if its live player farming i would not have cared, but its bots... mindless bots who do not reply to /whispers and will follow any mob you pull near them.

Lolipops !

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Another misstep.  This is not a good move at all.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    It's okay for me. It's fun at the moment. However, I can see how the lack of options will make it incredibly boring to level up a second toon. I cringe at the idea of leveling up another toon as the quests are very story focused and questing is the way to go. So with a second toon, when you take out the story element, it will be mindnumbingly boring. This is not helped by the fact that leveling is slow.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by DiggotsILaggots

So you were just saving this for a rainy day, while blowing it way out of proportion as people actually playing the game have already stated by providing examples based on the reality that we live in.

TBH, if this is your thing, I would have waited a while longer drop this amazing, profound, month-old, meaningless bomb.  The hating on ESO is fairly rampant right now.  We're all full up.

Whatever makes ya happy tho.  Hope you have s'more nuggets to drop soon.  *hugs*

<3

• ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151
    So let me get this straight. Triple AAA MMORPG. Bugged quests, infinite loading screens, dungeon trolling, and leveling only via PVE quests? What is wrong with you Zenimax? I know this is your first mmorpg, but come on eliminating leveling via PVP and Dungeons. You are not only turning away the PVP players but also the tank classes who mostly level via dungeons and aoe mob grinding.  You aren't suppose to restrict players, but innovate! Also hearing how you guys have no endgame PVE content is what makes me turn away from this game right now. 
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    Another misstep.  This is not a good move at all.

Aaand another enabler.

This was the last good site, once upon a time.  Maybe I'll make my own and moderate it like a mutha.

Honest opinions, dislike, that's all good.  Everyone is different.  But spreading misinformation that people base their actual decisions on (I know! so many people are freaking morons) is not cool.

I'm grumpy.  World of Darkness died.  I'm mourning. DWI.

Originally posted by Viadric
    So let me get this straight. Triple AAA MMORPG. Bugged quests, infinite loading screens, dungeon trolling, and leveling only via PVE quests? What is wrong with you Zenimax? I know this is your first mmorpg, but come on eliminating leveling via PVP and Dungeons. You are not only turning away the PVP players but also the tank classes who mostly level via dungeons and aoe mob grinding.  You aren't suppose to restrict players, but innovate! Also hearing how you guys have no endgame PVE content is what makes me turn away from this game right now. 

AOE mob grinding is the fastest way to level 1-50.

Veteran Dungeon grinding is the fastest way to level VR1-10.

Only PvP isn't viable as a way to level. Half this thread is just out of date crying.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

So, let me get this straight.  By your own admission in other threads you don't own this game and haven't played it.  Despite that, you've accumulated a list of complaints from other people, stapled it together, and edited out any positive things that anyone has said about it.  What are you trying to accomplish here?

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    i dont like grinding so .. niiice i like it !! :D
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

This thread is based on a idea that is simply not true.

Once I hit level 32 I used two grinding spots (one in Alkir Desert and one in Coldharbour) to hit level 50 in about 12 hours of play time.

You can definitely grind...and you can grind up levels much, much faster than questing.

My biggest gripe on this topic is you cannot level what-so-ever in PvP.  I'd like to be able to level my characters however I want.  PvE, grinding, PvP, crafting, exploring, etc... If they added moderate XP rewards to PvP and crafting I'd be more than happy.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Actually, you need to level up to gain access to new areas which house those skyshards.  So you would be wrong.

All activities in the game should have you general experience.  All of which, should include... (Off the top of my head)

Harvesting

Crafting

Killing Mobs

Achievements

Completing Dungeons

Quests

Killing Players

Taking And Holding Keeps/Objectives

Unlocking Chests

I'm not saying that some of those don't reward experience, but not all of them do.  I actually asked for crafting based quests in ESO beta surveys more than once.  I see that suggestion didn't come to fruition.  I think it would have been an excellent way for crafters to continue their trade without having to actually level up through fighting.  Unfortunately, the game is designed to force you to complete main quests in order to move on, so it's not realistic to do this.  

Maybe in a different game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You can progress by doing dungeons and grinding, it's just a lot slower than questing. I'm an AvA guy, so trust me I understand. I just hit 39 lastnight, and I'm sure I have more hours logged than most  About 20 of those levels came from questing and they took a fraction of the time like 1/100th the time. 

All that being said, the game has been live for two weeks and I'm almost at cap so, even though I want to complain about AvA XP I can't... Take a couple hours do a few quest, gain a few levels, heck you might even enjoy a bit of it. I found myself staring at the NPC playing out a scene lastnight with a big smile on my face. I still hate questing, but yeah..

edit- I'm glad you can't level by crafting! Buy all the mats, level to cap in 3 hours? That is soooooo lame.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ViadricViadric Member Posts: 151

So, let me get this straight.  By your own admission in other threads you don't own this game and haven't played it.  Despite that, you've accumulated a list of complaints from other people, stapled it together, and edited out any positive things that anyone has said about it.  What are you trying to accomplish here?

Uhm these are real issues people are experiencing. If you think it's ok leveling just by doing quests than you really don't care for innovation on PVE.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Astro6

After last few patches now the only way to level is by questing this is a slippery slope for a AAA mmorpg some players can't stand questing and like to grind by doing dungeons and grouping now that part of the game no longer works for leveling.

Also questing with a friend is a pain because there is no syncing of quest objectives and sometimes you actually still go out of sync with them and they vanish while grouping.

Also some player hate questing and killing mobs and doing dungeons but love crafting, there is no way to level a character doing crafting either all games i have played players gain exp through crafting but not in ESO.

Just having one way to level in a game will turn off a large portion of the player base i really think they should make different ways to level other than questing.

Questing is, in  no way, the fastest way of levelling. Sounds like propaganda to me. Questing is SUPER slow. Mob grinding is still the most viable option. However, I appreciate the changes. Really, grinding anything should never be the best way to level. There is a story to be told, damnit! Zenimax might actually be doing the world a favour by acting like hard asses and telling us outright what we should be doing. Guaranteed, the people who are at level 50 right now know nothing about wtf is going on in this game. 

It's like if your wife took a TON of time to make you really, really special chocolate chip cookies. Then she brings them to you and instead of sitting down and taking your time to enjoy them in their entirety, you smash the shit out of every single one and shove all the chocolate chips in your mouth. Then you go back to watching TV, without so much as a thank you. In fact, while she's sitting there in disbelief, you tell her that she burnt a couple chocolate chips and tell her that her cookies were messy as shit and she should probably clean them up. 

For those that don't get the analogy, that's simply not cool and will probably get you divorce papers. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------