Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See what everyone is raving about...

Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

I guess most of you that subscribed to ESO newsletter already saw latest email from Zenimax. I will probably get stoned to death for making this thread, but I just couldn't resist.

Those quotes at the beginning.... just out of pure curiosity, where in the world did they get them from??

I mean, if you can call "Stunning" a quote :D This is so hilarious, I even tried to find stuff like "A perfect sauce of awesome" on MMORPG.com by searching in every recent article about the game, but it is just not there.

Is it just some random stuff taken from forums, written by plain people? Did they really picked few of single words and small sentences out of the ocean of complaints, critisizm, and praise? I thought this stuff is always taken out of critic reviews, but I checked some of the english sites (yes, they even translated quotes to english from german sites :D) and there is nothing like this. Did they just made it up?

I'm just curious, is it completely random, and pathetic marketing, or is there a single quote actually taken from somewere? I don't want to bad mouth the game, as you see I said nothing bad about it, just that single mail made me laugh.

"AMAZING - mmorpg.com" :D Yea, that word probably came out at one point or another :D

Comments

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

It's in MMORPG.com's advertising contract to call every game "amazing" at least once a week, I'm sure...

If I want honest opinions, I never go to this site's formal reviews and commentary.  They have no credibility anymore.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

I got the same email and was as curious as you. I did some digging on google. Most of them were said as a matter of fact. They are just not said after the game released. They were said...mostly in 2013 way before game was published. Those are quotes from short previews.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I guess most of you that subscribed to ESO newsletter already saw latest email from Zenimax. I will probably get stoned to death for making this thread, but I just couldn't resist.

Those quotes at the beginning.... just out of pure curiosity, where in the world did they get them from??

I mean, if you can call "Stunning" a quote :D This is so hilarious, I even tried to find stuff like "A perfect sauce of awesome" on MMORPG.com by searching in every recent article about the game, but it is just not there.

Is it just some random stuff taken from forums, written by plain people? Did they really picked few of single words and small sentences out of the ocean of complaints, critisizm, and praise? I thought this stuff is always taken out of critic reviews, but I checked some of the english sites (yes, they even translated quotes to english from german sites :D) and there is nothing like this. Did they just made it up?

I'm just curious, is it completely random, and pathetic marketing, or is there a single quote actually taken from somewere? I don't want to bad mouth the game, as you see I said nothing bad about it, just that single mail made me laugh.

"AMAZING - mmorpg.com" :D Yea, that word probably came out at one point or another :D

AMAZING - mmorpg.com

That is the verdict of the review ESO will get on this site by ad-contract, Zenimax was just to quick to already spoil it. Everyone who has not gotten the mail will have to wait two weeks to read it here.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Just out of curiosity, I decided to look these up myself.  Here are the "reviews" mentioned in that email, followed by the source.

"Truly lives up to the hype" -Just Push Start

So this one is apparently from an impression that dates back to E3 2013, but probably chosen to make it look like a post-release opinion.

"The next true great MMO" -mpogd.com

Comically, this one is from 2012, written after a very early preview where he got to spend most of the time talking with the Dev's, and only a little playing the game.  Again, from 2012.

"The Skyrim sequel we want" -IGN

A much more recent review of the game during beta, right after the 1st person view was introduced back in August 2013 or so.

"ESO seems to be worth every cent!" -spieletipps.de

This appears to be a basic opinion piece with practically no actual information.  I honestly have no idea when it was written, but judging by one of the game "facts" mentioning it will be released in 2013, it's safe to assume it dates to 2012-2013.  This is one of the more comical "reviews" taken for the email, and probably was included only to check off a box involving the subscription fee.

"Amazing" -MMORPG.COM

I honestly have no clue where this one comes from, and it's so generic that I didn't even bother trying to research it.  Best part is it was given the honor of having the largest font size, lol.

"100% amazing" -ZAM

This isn't even from an article, but it's the headline of a post that shows the CGI trailer.  It has a real "60% of the time it works every time" vibe to it, haha.

"Stunning" -Computer Bild Spiele

This is another that I have no clue what the source is, beyond the site.  It's simply too vague and generic to be of any use.

"A perfect sauce of awesome" -MMORPG.COM

This dates back to October 2012, and seems to be based on some early gameplay footage shown to some people back then.  The actual context of the comment is in how well it appears to combine Skyrim's solo experience with MMO elements.

"What RPG-fans have been waiting for" -stern.de

I believe this is the only actual "rave" in the email that's based on the game in its release form, since it was published on the actual release day.  The publication, stern.de, seems to be a general news publication as well, so the review would probably be about as relevant as a USAToday review of the game.  Still, this one is tons better than than the vague and outdated crap found above.

So there you are.  I had 20 minutes to kill, and kill them I did.  You're welcome.

You make me like charity

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    First thing folks should be aware of is a ton of players are "raving" about losing all their purchased bank slots along with any loot that was stored in them.  Many folks have even lost skill points.  Many folks are stuck at different points in their main quest line and can't progress further.    So yea we are raving for sure....
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Because no one ever does this in reviews.  Movies, TV shows, Games Books ect have been doing this for years 

Here is the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_quoting_out_of_context

It happens all the time, Movies do it on billboards, there have been several attempts to make the use of partial quotes in marketing illegal but so far it has not really come to pass.   However in order to attribute that quote, it must have been written by some one on an official article.  Otherwise it delves into false advertising and I highly doubt they would want to get into that particular batch of hot water.

Sure crucify them if you want, but not for having a marketing team.

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Just out of curiosity, I decided to look these up myself.  Here are the "reviews" mentioned in that email, followed by the source.

So this one is apparently from an impression that dates back to E3 2013, but probably chosen to make it look like a post-release opinion.

Comically, this one is from 2012, written after a very early preview where he got to spend most of the time talking with the Dev's, and only a little playing the game.  Again, from 2012.

A much more recent review of the game during beta, right after the 1st person view was introduced back in August 2013 or so.

This appears to be a basic opinion piece with practically no actual information.  I honestly have no idea when it was written, but judging by one of the game "facts" mentioning it will be released in 2013, it's safe to assume it dates to 2012-2013.  This is one of the more comical "reviews" taken for the email, and probably was included only to check off a box involving the subscription fee.

"Amazing" -MMORPG.COM

I honestly have no clue where this one comes from, and it's so generic that I didn't even bother trying to research it.  Best part is it was given the honor of having the largest font size, lol.

"100% amazing" -ZAM

This isn't even from an article, but it's the headline of a post that shows the CGI trailer.  It has a real "60% of the time it works every time" vibe to it, haha.

This is another that I have no clue what the source is, beyond the site.  It's simply too vague and generic to be of any use.

This dates back to October 2012, and seems to be based on some early gameplay footage shown to some people back then.  The actual context of the comment is in how well it appears to combine Skyrim's solo experience with MMO elements.

I believe this is the only actual "rave" in the email that's based on the game in its release form, since it was published on the actual release day.  The publication, stern.de, seems to be a general news publication as well, so the review would probably be about as relevant as a USAToday review of the game.  Still, this one is tons better than than the vague and outdated crap found above.

So there you are.  I had 20 minutes to kill, and kill them I did.  You're welcome.

You did god's work there. Good job

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

You have my gratitude. Eso and their hyping combined with gamebreaking bugs is my daily dose of amusement on this forum.

And these fake quotes are the funniest thing since "We don't have a cash shop - we have a shop for extended service!"

Harbinger of Fools
  • AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

"Amazing" -MMORPG.COM

"100% amazing" -ZAM

This really sucks big time! I ll send it to all my friends.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Is this really your first lesson on the manipulation of advertising?

I know you may find this amazing, but scratching the surface of any ad for any product and you will find a dark soul beneath it. 

Should it be that way? No.

Is it that way? Yes.

Buyer beware.

Never put faith in advertising.

And stop being shocked that they hired advertisers who would use words which would help boost sales.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

What my friends are 'raving' about is more like 'raving' mad.

Trainers, speed hacks, mining bots, and other cheats.

Lost items, lost skill points.

Total lack of immersion through the quest instance overlaps.  Lack of AH more and more a bad design decision.

Biggest talking point is what am I getting for the subscription, really?

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

I find your use of the word "everyone" pejorative.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Are people seriously complaining that a game company chooses favorable quotes for a newsletter?
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by ohioastro
    Are people seriously complaining that a game company chooses favorable quotes for a newsletter?

No.  We're just amused at the all-too-common use of quotes out of context for game advertisements.  No one is actually complaining though.

You make me like charity

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by ohioastro

I don't really see any complaining. It's mostly laughing at how ridiculous the sources are. People market their product all the time while taking things out of context to make their product seem more accepted than it really is. But these are so obscure, as pointed out by asmkm22, that it's difficult to not just shake your head at their shameless attempt. Most of the time, people at least use recent quotes to pull from and try and use more than one word. When they don't, it looks silly and cheap.

I think it's just another example of how poor their marketing department is. I feel bad for the developers that deserve better than stuff like this or the whole host of other terrible marketing this game has exhibited.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

It's in MMORPG.com's advertising contract to call every game "amazing" at least once a week, I'm sure...

If I want honest opinions, I never go to this site's formal reviews and commentary.  They have no credibility anymore.

I agree. In fact, if there is a game on this site being trashed it is usually a good game and that is the one to buy.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

Is it just some random stuff taken from forums, written by plain people? Did they really picked few of single words and small sentences out of the ocean of complaints, critisizm, and praise?

Yes and yes.  Honestly, for how many "this game rocks" posts that are made here, with the OP never returning on some of them, I wouldn't be surprised if they were paid plant posts.  No doubt, ESO has it's fans (and it should)... but it is a stretch to say everyone is raving.  I, for one, couldn't care less.  And I'd bet there's at least 1,000 (def more, but trying to not be so ugh about it) people that share the mindset that ESO isn't the end all be all.  But if you enjoy ESO, well done you. 

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I could accept a crop of praise quotes in a recent newsletter from recent articles or reviews about the game as par for the course but digging up stuff from 2012 , long before the game launched, to hype it now paints a dishonest picture of actual quality.  It's bad form all the way around.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I am still waiting for a time machine so I can go back in time and play everquest 1 at the beginning again.
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

"Amazing" -MMORPG.COM

"100% amazing" -ZAM

This is awesome, and should be awarded a title for your time.   Love it!

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by junzo316

"Amazing" -MMORPG.COM

"100% amazing" -ZAM

This is awesome, and should be awarded a title for your time.   Love it!

Agree ^^

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Cheeky marketing buggers!

..Cake..

• Kaymac201Kaymac201 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Here is an actual review for your viewing pleasure.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Very good job, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for you time and effort.

Originally posted by Zorgo

Is this really your first lesson on the manipulation of advertising?

I know you may find this amazing, but scratching the surface of any ad for any product and you will find a dark soul beneath it.

I realize how marketing works, but this time it looked like a parody of it. Most of the time they are more clever about promoting game, this time someone just went full retard, like the last act of desperation :) I really thought it was a parody until I realized it was real.

And yes, no one is complaining, it is just too funny not to mention it. The "Amazing" part just made my day, not even a quote, just one word.

It can't be really regulated in any way so any company can make up any quotes without consequences, but for gods sake, make it look believable :D