Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer 68/100

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I'm going to enjoy my 19-20 days I have left with ESO and allow Zenimax to prove if it will ever be worth the subscription.  No point in a screaming about the sky falling at this point. I'm not angry about the fun I'm having now I don't have any regrets.  I'm very frustrated at the things wrong with ESO only because the game is good enough to warrant that type of care. Then again, I'm not some jaded MMORPG "vet" nor am I a fan of Skyrim.

If you were in beta and are still using the beta launcher and files (as Zenimax suggested we should do), I advise to ignore that, uninstall and re-download the client.  It helped me with a few things that were glaringly wrong (visual fidelity etc).

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Every modern Elder Scrolls game has had a moment near the beginning where you step out into a new landscape and think I've never been somewhere like this before. In Morrowind it hit as you left Seyda Neen and realised that the road ahead went in two directions, and that you could follow either of them, and that each direction would take you on an entirely different journey through the world. In Oblivion it occurred when you escaped out onto the edge of Lake Rumare and saw the hills rise ahead of you along the road to Bruma. In Skyrim you emerged onto a mountainside with the Throat of the World on one side, the valley of Falkreath on the other, and a dragon in the skies above.

I have spent thirty hours playing The Elder Scrolls Online and I'm still waiting for that moment. I'm waiting for anything like that moment.

There is his problem. He is looking for a single player amazement factor that is not present in MMO's. 

He is a single player RPG person playing an MMO. 

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

I guess everybody is a hater. Both critics and users...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Aroukos

ROFl no one called the reviewer a hater OMG people read the thread at least.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Right or wrong, time will tell.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by tixylix

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/the-elder-scrolls-online-review/

'Okay' isn't good enough when you're facing down this much of a premium, and I can't imagine paying a monthly fee to visit somewhere I've been many times before.

This. ^^

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Vapors
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by gonewild
    Originally posted by Volgore
    In before "review is irrelevant" and "author is a hater".

Looks like  this game has more haters than allies then.

What does this tell you ah?

ESO does have an abnormal amount of hating going on. I've been around a long time and I don't recall seeing this level of hate.

When im online reading global chat's whole day long, I do not experience much hate or flammers. Seems haters are sitting just on websites / forums. Or the haters are to lazy to write in global chats:p

What faction are you in?  I see it in Ebonheart but its not always flamming and  "how mukch i hate this game."   Ebonheart has its fair share of trolling but that's about it.  And then bite spam, gold spam, and the occasional "why is this game so bugged."

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Distopia

Sure, only people with negative comments in this forum deserve that title.

I still can't believe how people can defend a game which they paid a lot of money with so much passion. ESO is just a single player journey with some people in it till level 50 and nothing else. How can you still defend that?

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Necropsie

Sure, only people with negative comments in this forum deserve that title.

I still can't believe how people can defend a game which they paid a lot of money with so much passion. ESO is just a single player journey with some people in it till level 50 and nothing else. How can you still defend that?

are you directing any of this at me? or is this a general question?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

This^^

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by fs23otm

Every modern Elder Scrolls game has had a moment near the beginning where you step out into a new landscape and think I've never been somewhere like this before. In Morrowind it hit as you left Seyda Neen and realised that the road ahead went in two directions, and that you could follow either of them, and that each direction would take you on an entirely different journey through the world. In Oblivion it occurred when you escaped out onto the edge of Lake Rumare and saw the hills rise ahead of you along the road to Bruma. In Skyrim you emerged onto a mountainside with the Throat of the World on one side, the valley of Falkreath on the other, and a dragon in the skies above.

I have spent thirty hours playing The Elder Scrolls Online and I'm still waiting for that moment. I'm waiting for anything like that moment.

There is his problem. He is looking for a single player amazement factor that is not present in MMO's. 

He is a single player RPG person playing an MMO. 

Not necessarily. I know I had that feeling while playing Vanguard, Age of Conan, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. GW2 is the latest and the feeling you got when you first explored Divinity's Reach was awesome. I never got far in TESO, but I can see his point.

• SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

IS there a need to focus on haters or something here, the only people I see mentioning haters is you and Vol. The subject is the review why not get back to it?

Okay well, point by point.

The reviewer doesn't like the voice acting, but imo it's some of the best voice acting in an MMO . . . ever, if someone has a list of MMOs with better voice overs, please feel free to post it.

He doesn't like the visuals.

He clearly wants another single player ES game and doesn't like when there are too many players playing near him (well, say hi to MMOs?).

He likes the combat. And apparently doesn't find it "floaty" as so many people claim it to be, but finds it quite impactful.

Likes PvP, but doesn't like that the side with more people wins.

And those are his points. So he gives it a 68/100 based on those.

Personally I think the voice acting in ESO has been better than Oblivion and Skyrim - Let me put it this way, in those games, and the Fallout title Bethesda did, I just read the dialogue and skipped hearing it all being spoken, in ESO I actually find myself listening to the NPCs speaking.

I also think the writing has been a notch above that of previous ES titles too (maybe not so much Morrowind but that game used text for all dialogue which made it easier to flesh out the lore and stuff).

I do think there are valid criticisms of ESO that can be made. I love the game but lack of AH, name plates, some of the quest mechanics (other players can quite often, inadvertantly, hinder your progress) and bugs do hold it back somewhat but I don't really agree with the ones made in this review.

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

and the story goes on.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I can't say I agree with everything but the one thing I whole heartedly agree with is that they have quest objectives that are shared by numerous people in the same space.

So if you need to kill a min- boss then "good luck" as you might have to wait. Heck, several times I arrived as the boss was going down only to get the "kill" even though I never did anything. I'd always wait around for the respawn just to do it.

I do think the quests are better than he says. As an example, last night I did a quest called "the witch of Silitar" and I really wanted it to be more of a full fledged quest as I found it very interesting. It is part of a quest chain but it was very well done for an mmo quest.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

ESO does have an abnormal amount of hating going on. I've been around a long time and I don't recall seeing this level of hate.

You must have totally glossed over GW2 forums during it's launch, and subsequent year after that, then.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by kakasaki

How quickly we forget SWTOR, Conan, WAR, et al....

No, I was specifically looking back at some of the rougher games like SWTOR and Conan. SWTOR had quite a bit of a lovefest going on, it wasn't until the game just fell flat that it became acceptable to hate on it, up to that point it was pretty well received. ESO has had an exceptional amount of hate since beta.

Conan also had people fawning over it, and despite being one of the buggiest, laggiest horrid launches, people STILL loved it . . . right up until they left Tortage. Then it became one of the most hated games ever, but that's less because people were haters and more because funcom forgot to finish the game.

WAR was a lovefest and it died a slow death. People were so hyped for this game, I remember it as one of the first proclaimed "WoW-killers", actually, it was the first wasn't it? That's when people started saying WoW-Killer. Turned out not so much to be what people had hoped, but it was definitely not a hatefest.

If any game had as many haters, I'd say it was TSW. That game did get a lot of hate, primarly because of the clunky combat.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by rodingo

You must have totally glossed over GW2 forums during it's launch, and subsequent year after that, then.

Not to mention the years upon years of WoW hate that still boils up from time to time.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Glad i am having fun at least, been awhile since i soacked up so much immersion from an mmo.
    How long it will last is remain to be seen, but so far i can honestly say that this mmo just gives me that flavor i wanted.

Does ESO has bad things or could have done things better ? hell yes...

Animations / Combat
    Bugged Quests / Bad Phasing
    Lack of Pet Control / there is none
    Better keybinds like "Shift"

But the fun comes from story telling, getting sucked into a story while questing hasnt happened to me for a loooooong time.

And pvp ? i love every single minute of it.
    All sorts of pvp going on.

have fun peeps :P

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

One might think many of the User Reviewers on Metacritic don't realize there are numbers other than 0 and 10.  It's hard to put much stock in a overall score based on "reviewers" that score at random.  

"Not the best game in the world but I like it..."  10

"Not bad, but really not my thing."  0

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I have been playing ESO since the 5 day early access.  I also participated in 4 or 5 beta sessions.  I really like the game, and I am having a lot of fun. But I have to agree with many of the PC Gamer reviewer's criticisms.  

For one, the reviewer is correct in saying that the buildings and houses in towns across the game are very repetitive. It would have been nice to have more unique layouts, with better, more unique loot.  It seems like I loot the same crap in every single building. 

The public dungeons are extremely linear and boring. There is rarely any loot to grab.  It drives me crazy to come up to an armor rack or chest in a dungeon, and not be able to loot it.  They might as well just delete it from the game.  

I really hope that Bethesda adds much more content to the game, because I would really like this game to have a very long and successful life.  PVP alone, will not keep the majority of people subscribing every month.  

They need to add housing as a priority.  And not that instance crap like in Rift.  They need to do it the same way as Dark Age of Camelot did, with neighborhoods.  

They need to add a lot more environmental loot in the game.  In my opinion, if it cannot be lootable, it shouldn't be in the landscape.  MMORPG gamers love to loot stuff. We can all agree on that. 

They need to keep expanding the map with unique lands, not more of the same.  Lets see a continent overrun by Werewolves or vampires.  Keep the content coming. 

They MUST add the Darkness Falls style PvP dungeon.  That content can put them over the top.  It certainly did for Dark age of Camelot. 

I hope that Zenimax does not just sit on their asses, and assume that  those who are playing the game happily right now, will continue to subscribe.  This same thing happened in Guild Wars 2.  When the game first came out, people buzzed on and on about the game. But when people ran out of content, they quit the game. Now Arenanet is talking expansion.   Ever expanding, engaging content is the only way to keep mmorpgs afloat.  

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    The reviewer is  generous IMO.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

What's fascinating to me is that professional reviews have become utterly uncorrelated with how I react to games.  AAA single player games get uniformly strong reviews, whether the players love or hate the games.  Indy games tend to get harsh reviews, especially if they're challenging at all.  MMOs tend to get reviews all over the place.

So I saw glowing reviews for Dragon Age 2 and Civ 5; in both cases I found them to be huge steps backwards relative to their predecessors.  You could beat the release version of Civ 5 on deity with 4 horses and the AI had no idea at all about tactics.  Total War Rome 2 got strong reviews despite crippling bugs (I waited; it's better now).  If you want a credibility hit for PC Gamer, look at their TW Rome 2 review - which didn't even mention that the AI *could not siege player cities at all on release.*  As in, their units could not carry ladders to walls and climb them.  This is a non-trivial drawback for a game focused on, you guessed it, conquest and sieges.  SimCity(!)  had the critics liking it and users hating it -  I didn't bother.  On the other side, I liked Europa Universalis 4 (and so did the reviewers), and Bioshock Infinite was a fun, if short, ride; and both users and reviewers really liked Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas (again, modulo bugs in the latter.)  Reviewers hated the difficulty of the Witcher 2, Might & Magic X, Eador, Don't Starve.  I liked all of them.

So, forgive me if people looking for Skyrim 2.0 didn't find it.  And forgive me if I attach little or no weight to pro reviews (whether good or bad.)

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Glad i am having fun at least, been awhile since i soacked up so much immersion from an mmo.
    How long it will last is remain to be seen, but so far i can honestly say that this mmo just gives me that flavor i wanted.

Does ESO has bad things or could have done things better ? hell yes...

Animations / Combat
    Bugged Quests / Bad Phasing
    Lack of Pet Control / there is none
    Better keybinds like "Shift"

But the fun comes from story telling, getting sucked into a story while questing hasnt happened to me for a loooooong time.

And pvp ? i love every single minute of it.
    All sorts of pvp going on.

have fun peeps :P

I dont like ESO and i dont like it not as a whole game, but when it comes to things like combat, animations, character movement & phasing. These things are the main reason i cant play it, considering i m no lore lover either.

On the other hand you find bad things in ESO but you still have fun. Now thats something i accept and respect. I respect it because its not a fanboys statement, like " i havent experience ANY problem" or " combat and animations are the best ever" or in general "everything seems superb" and everyone who opposes to this is a troll.

I respect you and your opinion because its by someone who is HAVING FUN, without feeling the need to defend anything. Without the need of bypassing and hiding the flaws. Its not a shame to admit that what gives you fun isnt perfect, but still you enjoy it.  So yes this is something i can only respect.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

One might think many of the User Reviewers on Metacritic don't realize there are numbers other than 0 and 10.  It's hard to put much stock in a overall score based on "reviewers" that score at random.  

"Not the best game in the world but I like it..."  10

"Not bad, but really not my thing."  0

Or "cash grab" "not worth a subscription fee" (e.g things that you could say without even playing the game) "no open world exploration" "quests just like WoW" (e.g. things that make it clear that you didn't even play the game).

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Ok, i do not agree to all the points being raised as negatives in the review and i also think that the author missed some of the strong points of the game.

I do however wonder why he also missed some of the blatant flaws that game has at this point and think with 68/100 it got away generously.

6/10 on my scale, with a tendecy to go further down if you also want to bring up the "how much actual Elder Scrolls does Zenimax deliver with ESO?" subject.

Agreed. I would be more generous with 7 or 8 out of 10. What annoys me the most so far is the bugs, the horrible guild shop interface (really, can't search item by name!) and the vast amount of gold seller spam on general chat. I just play with guild or group chat on to avoid the endless spam...

(edit) One of the poster above brought up another gripe dear to my heart: the group dungeons. So underwhelming they choose to go with such a linear design. The group might as well be on a treadmill...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...