Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ Epoch Brings Sandbox MMO features to Militarized Zombie Apocalypse

sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Lately I've been playing DayZ Epoch a lot, and it has got me ignoring my MMO subscriptions. Last week I posted about DayZ Epoch, but I didn't really explain what it is (resulting in an ignorant mod moving the post to the DayZ forum).

So, first of all, DayZ Epoch is not DayZ! They are two very different games overall. While DayZ is pretty much a survival shooter, DayZ Epoch is like a sandbox MMO, with features like crafting from parts and raw materials, npc traders, custom building construction, hunting, dog taming, harvesting, and vehicle repair, customization, and ownership.

Best of all, you can play this game for only $6 total with no subscription! DayZ Epoch is a free mod that runs on the military simulator ARMA 2 Combined Operations, which is on sale right now for only $6.23 directly from the publisher here:

https://store.bistudio.com/arma2-combined-operations-steam-version

Even though I've never really played ARMA 2 (although I intend to now after enjoying DayZ Epoch) you are actually getting two games in one, the actual ARMA 2 military game and the DayZ Epoch virtual world. Of course, there are many other game mods available like the original DayZ, but I was not as impressed with that, and have not tried any others yet. Since Epoch alone has over 2,000 servers at this time, I'm guessing it's one of the most popular mods available too.

Now, the heart of DayZ Epoch is really the custom building construction. You can build or modify anything anywhere, except for a few small protected npc trader camps. You can actually modify or improve even existing game buildings and towns, adding additional buildings, rooms, floors, and modifications on to them or you can build your very own custom base from scratch anywhere on the map. This is a feature that I have rarely seen in even the most ambitious of MMOs. Often building construction in MMOs is cookie-cutter with a limited number of pre-built buildings you can place, very limited construction locations, and they certainly never allow players to modify existing game structures. DayZ Epoch breaks all those standard MMO limitations and really opens up the world to player customization.

The ability to build bases allows players to seek protection, store their items, and have a place to call home. This completely changes the dynamic of the basic DayZ shooter game. Vehicles can also be purchased and locked with a key in DayZ Epoch, which are not only used for transportation, but are a secondary form of storage.

Cinder Wall w/ Door

Here is a list with images of the building parts included in the modular building system:

http://epochmod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modular_Building_System

Lumber

And here are the craftable items which can also be used to customize your base:

http://epochmod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crafting_System

Here's a video I found the other day that does a pretty good job at giving you a glimpse of someone cautiously starting off new on a DayZ Epoch server and beginning custom construction an existing game building to turn it into a lockable base:

Episode 14: If You Build It, They Will Come!

http://youtu.be/gLsfzQAxSA4

Time lapse showing construction of a simple wood base in Epoch from chopping trees to finish:

http://youtu.be/K1UHJfbSbYE

To make installing and updating DayZ Epoch easy, download the official Play withSIX launcher here:

http://play.withsix.com/

I also tried the DayZ Commander launcher in the beginning, but ultimately found the SIX launcher to be better supported and more advanced.

Note: I am not affiliated with the producers of ARMA 2, Epoch Mod, or Play withSIX in any way whatsoever. I don't even know the names of any of them. I'm just a player that discovered great value in this game and am excited to share it with others.

Comments

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Dayz is too clunky to be enjoyable for me.  I'll wait for H1Z1.
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Uh, you don't have to wait for anything. It's not like $6 is a big investment. And I seriously doubt you will see anything like the custom base building of DayZ Epoch in H1N1?

Anyway, you do attack with a valid point, and that is that the ARMA interface does take time to get used to. However, I'm comfortable with it now.

There sure is a trend of drones, or zombies rather, supporting H1N1 in this forum. Are any of you guys getting paid to promote that game?

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Sorry, anything with the name DayZ attached to it seems to be pure garbage. Will also wait for H1Z1, SOE seems to be getting their act together quite nicely.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26

Play em both... I'm sure H1Z1 won't be out for a while and what is $6-$7?   A drop in the bucket.  DayZ is a lot of fun if you can get a couple of people together to play it.  Once you get used to it, it can be fun solo too.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i have to agree. 

i've played many of the DayZ mods and Epoch is really the funnest one by far, if you are into sandbox that is. Hands down the best survival multiplayer online sandbox game out right now. because servers are capped at under 100 players i wouldn't quite call it a massive multiplayer online, but it's definitely an online multiplayer game.

yes it is true that because it's a mod of mod of an order game (arma 2) it has some issues, but the fun factor is just incredible. 

Epoch is what i wanted the standalone DayZ to be like (just with better zombies and graphics). 

Originally posted by dave6660

One could ask the same of you with DayZ.

If you actually read topics before trolling them you would have seen:

Originally posted by sempiternal

Note: I am not affiliated with the producers of ARMA 2, Epoch Mod, or Play withSIX in any way whatsoever. I don't even know the names of any of them. I'm just a player that discovered great value in this game and am excited to share it with others.

Originally posted by Feydiir

Play em both... I'm sure H1Z1 won't be out for a while and what is $6-$7?   A drop in the bucket.  DayZ is a lot of fun if you can get a couple of people together to play it.  Once you get used to it, it can be fun solo too.

Are you playing DayZ or Epoch?

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

open beta of H1Z1 is in about 4-6 weeks they said

Originally posted by Ecoces

open beta of H1Z1 is in about 4-6 weeks they said

I will try it out. But, is one of the goals to have custom built bases anything like Epoch?

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Sorry, anything with the name DayZ attached to it seems to be pure garbage. Will also wait for H1Z1, SOE seems to be getting their act together quite nicely.

And another troll, showing up in the thread merely to post that anything with the name DayZ in it seems to be "pure garbage." Did your comment come out of classic trolling 101? You judge everything by its name alone? Back up your claim.

There's a difference between trolling and stating an opinion. In fact, if you didn't respond to it, it would have been fine, but you made an attempt to turn posters against this person as "trolling" by bringing attention to it.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    how many people do you play with at a time in a single world in Dayz?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

One could ask the same of you with DayZ.

If you actually read topics before trolling them you would have seen:

I did read it and don't believe a word of it.

Yeah, right. Then do you have any comments about the actual topic? Or are you just here to troll me personally.

You opened "paid to promote" can of worms, I'm just responding to it.  And it's not an attack, merely an observation.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232

WOW! Why do people get so emotionally attached to games? I'm seeing it more and more here. Anyways IMO they are ok games, hope you achieve whatever your agendas are with your advertisement. Good luck.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I love epoch, setup my own server last week I just added the following to my version

Lifting with Helicopters

Towing with cars

Dance at campfire

AI missions and camps

Deploy Bike from a toolbox and scrap metal (right click on toolbox)

Custom building menus --> ruby/Topaz and Obsidian (spawn them through tool and right click on them to build stuff) --> CCTV system with Obsidian

Change viewdistance (right click on binoculars/rangefinders)

Sirens on police Lada and Black SUV

lock/unlock sound

refuel/rearm/repair at fuel stations

take clothes from dead bodies

modified loot tables

HALO jump from helicopters and planes from above 400 meters

Elevators (built out of metal floors)

Helicopter Evacs (scroll on heli with 5 briefcases in inventory)

Safezones at traders

Self bloodbag near Hospitals and medical vehicles (right click on BloodBag)

Spawn selection

Map additions and changes of the traders

Fun menu when you have an ItemDocument in your inventory

AI bases

It is a PVE server with structured pvp as in duels and events.

Server name is Deviantedge

**Warning we are sorting out a few bugs so wierdness could happen :) next addition if not already working is classes which will at the moment only include different loadouts and outfits for "scouts" "explorers etc.

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    how many people do you play with at a time in a single world in Dayz?

50-100 at a time per server. But there are over 2,000 servers.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MMOExposed how many people do you play with at a time in a single world in Dayz?
    50-100 at a time per server. But there are over 2,000 servers.

Reading between the lines here but it sounds like people are calling into question "MMO features" as 50-100 isnt massively multiplayer.

I have not played Epoch. Having read your post i don't know what to think of it. I suspect it would be lacking action if the focus has been switched to crafting.

Or does it still retain the pvp aspects that are in Dayz?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

The DayZ aspect has not changed, what has happened is that a bunch of new MMO like features have been added in, making it play more like an MMO than a constant shooter. But, you will find a ton of action if you play on a full server. The map is fairly large for the server sizes, but there are all kinds of vehicles, helicopters, and planes transporting players quickly across the map and to key locations in a matter of minutes.
  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I have seen more cooperation, group activities and friendships formed on dayz than most of the mmo I have played in recent memory.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

OP, you have a post already in the Day Z forum. Locking this one.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6234832

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.