Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inventory management killing me

2»

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by Moar61

I don't mind the inventory space, but I do think bank space is incredibly limited, especially considering it's shared between characters. I only have one character and am constantly emptying out the bank to make room. 

I suppose it's simply a matter of managing my goods better, and frankly I'm okay with that. 

I grew up on Ultima Online.  Where you had to run back to smelt 20 iron ore stacks, because you couldn't carry more than that in a trip, unless you had a pack horse I mean.  So basically, even with a pack horse, I'd have to return to the forge every 10 minutes.  

Yeah, I feel like that old fart that tells his kid that he had to walk 10 miles to school, in the middle of winter, with no shoes, uphill in the snow.  I know times have changed.  Though, this is why I don't really have a problem with the inventory system.  Kids today don't deal well with difficulty.

Ummm, I played on Catskills in UO so before you go assuming....holy hell though, so let's not improve on anything because we did it this way back in the day. So do you hide the remote control from your kids too? Make them use a spin dial phone? A pager instead of a cell? 

Just because you want to play let's see how many trips I can make to the vendor/bank does not mean everyone does. If you took a vote I guarantee the majority of the player base would think this is a reasonable complaint when you are simply trying to have fun with the game. I am not asking for 1000000000000000000000000000 slots for 10g here, just saying the current setup is bad. 

But of course we will always have the holier than thou types who are intellectual enough to deal with all as is....and if you are not well it is because you are an underdeveloped child.

So, you're going to insult me because I calmly provided insight as to why I don't have an issue with the current system?  And you, sitting there, insinuating that I am an "underdeveloped child".  

Way to show your maturity.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Bluefear77

I agree.

I cannot fathom why the inventory management system is such a pain. You should start with 5 times the bank space that you do. Upgrades should be 50 slots, not 10.

Because they need it to be a pain to get people to buy bag slots once this goes F2P

the current system is tedious and unpleasant. It needs to be fixed.

Will be fixed with the shop soon

Not really serious...or am I?

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Knotwood

Let me help you out.   I am doing every craft right now, and have a flawless inventory management system that reduces the amount of time it takes to transfer crap, ect.

I have my main character completely empty,  nothing on it but treasure maps, lockpicks, CE items.  I marked these as junk so they do not show up in my inventory management process. 

What I did was Buy ONLY bank space at the start until after the 11,000 gold upgrade.    I would farm the crap out of enchants, flowers, ores, treasure chests, food mats, ect.   Until completely full.     I would then dump it all into the bank under materials.    I would sell any an all consumables (This is the part that people fail to do, saving these consumables is a straight downfall to manage and will kill your inventory even with 8 characters, so use them or sell them)

Next I would have 7 alts that I can transfer stuff to after packing my inventory full of goods in the field.  When you fill up compelty on stuff from the field and put it in the bank, then log onto each alt, taking its designated inventory from the bank Materials.

1.  Provisioner - Put ONLY food ingredients and crafted consumables on this alt,  Sell or use all recipes or food that is noncrafted zero gold food.

2.  Enchanter/Alchemy  - Put all Runes on this alt, and all Alchemy ingredients. Save up all the mats on it until its full then craft, and sell or use all the enchants or potions you make from it,  If you want to put your potions on your wood working character below.

Now make a GRID chart and put all the armor traits and weapon traits for every craft on it,  put a circle in each square for every item you obtained that is being stored on your smithing alts for the purpose of researching.     Put a checkmark in the grid when you transfer that item to the bank to be researched by your main character.

3.  Wood working character  -  Store all Staffs and shields that have traits for researching,  Sell all extra Staffs or Shields that are duplicates.   Don't save everything, just the traits you want to research for all the alts below.

4.  Blacksmithing Armor - Store all Armor that have traits you want to save for researching,  Sell all extra Armor that are duplicates.  Put all overflow Armor traits on this alt until the bank is large enough to just leave the gems in the main bank

5.  Blacksmithing Weapons - Store all blacksmithing weapons with traits that you want to research.  Sell all extra Weapons that are duplicates.  Put all overflow weapon trait gems onto this alt until the bank is large enough to just permanently leave the gems in the main bank 

7.  Light Armor - Store all Light armor with traits you want to research.  Sell all extra Light armor that are duplicate traits.

Put any overflow leather hides or cloth on this alt

8.  Medium Armor - Store all Medium armor with traits you want to research.  Sell all extra Light armor that are duplicates.  Put any overflow wood on this alt

There you have it,  Leave your main empty at all times, dump all your goods into the bank, go out and fetch more tull your packed again then dump them into bank again, then log on every alt and store that stuff.    Then back to main, and repeat until your a pro crafter!   Good Luck!

So, this is supposed to be "simple" way to manage inventory.

Manage inventory.

Ill repeat it again: manage inventory.

Actually this screams: F2P. Or the worst: P2P with cash shop.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Viper482

You cannot leave out the open world exploration feel of Elder Scrolls

They didn't leave that out.  But I do agree the inventory managment is horrible.  

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Let me help you out.   I am doing every craft right now, and have a flawless inventory management system that reduces the amount of time it takes to transfer crap, ect.

I have my main character completely empty,  nothing on it but treasure maps, lockpicks, CE items.  I marked these as junk so they do not show up in my inventory management process. 

What I did was Buy ONLY bank space at the start until after the 11,000 gold upgrade.    I would farm the crap out of enchants, flowers, ores, treasure chests, food mats, ect.   Until completely full.     I would then dump it all into the bank under materials.    I would sell any an all consumables (This is the part that people fail to do, saving these consumables is a straight downfall to manage and will kill your inventory even with 8 characters, so use them or sell them)

Next I would have 7 alts that I can transfer stuff to after packing my inventory full of goods in the field.  When you fill up compelty on stuff from the field and put it in the bank, then log onto each alt, taking its designated inventory from the bank Materials.

1.  Provisioner - Put ONLY food ingredients and crafted consumables on this alt,  Sell or use all recipes or food that is noncrafted zero gold food.

2.  Enchanter/Alchemy  - Put all Runes on this alt, and all Alchemy ingredients. Save up all the mats on it until its full then craft, and sell or use all the enchants or potions you make from it,  If you want to put your potions on your wood working character below.

Now make a GRID chart and put all the armor traits and weapon traits for every craft on it,  put a circle in each square for every item you obtained that is being stored on your smithing alts for the purpose of researching.     Put a checkmark in the grid when you transfer that item to the bank to be researched by your main character.

3.  Wood working character  -  Store all Staffs and shields that have traits for researching,  Sell all extra Staffs or Shields that are duplicates.   Don't save everything, just the traits you want to research for all the alts below.

4.  Blacksmithing Armor - Store all Armor that have traits you want to save for researching,  Sell all extra Armor that are duplicates.  Put all overflow Armor traits on this alt until the bank is large enough to just leave the gems in the main bank

5.  Blacksmithing Weapons - Store all blacksmithing weapons with traits that you want to research.  Sell all extra Weapons that are duplicates.  Put all overflow weapon trait gems onto this alt until the bank is large enough to just permanently leave the gems in the main bank 

7.  Light Armor - Store all Light armor with traits you want to research.  Sell all extra Light armor that are duplicate traits.

8.  Medium Armor - Store all Medium armor with traits you want to research.  Sell all extra Light armor that are duplicates.  Put any overflow wood on this alt

There you have it,  Leave your main empty at all times, dump all your goods into the bank, go out and fetch more tull your packed again then dump them into bank again, then log on every alt and store that stuff.    Then back to main, and repeat until your a pro crafter!   Good Luck!

This is a terrible system.  I'd spend more time fucking around with my inventory than actually playing the game.  No thanks.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

The current inventory managment system in ESO has issues. Just go to any major town, visit the banker and ask yourself why are so many people gathering around here ? Because it is so much fun to handle your inventory ? ;)

You can work around these issues (as described above already) but really especially in a p2p game the developers should come up with a better solution than the current one.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

Knotwoods advice looks complicated because he's trying to keep items with traits that he wants to research.  If you want simpler, here's mine.

1.  Empty your pack of non-essentials before you go out with a toon.  This means that you leave enough room in the common bank to do this.  You'll have much longer gaps before you have to return to town.  If you have trouble keeping the common bank clear, have a spare toon created who empties it out before the adventurer fills it up.

2.  Most people don't run 8 actual characters.  Build, say, 4, and use their packs the way that most people use banks.  A single upgrade each gives you 4 x 70 = 280 spaces to put things arranged however you want to at small cost (400 per).  You can skip the tutorial and they start close to the banks in the major towns, so this takes no significant time.

3.  As a practical matter, it helps to organize what you put in them in a way that you can remember who has what.  (For example, one kind of crafting supply per.)  But arrange it however you want.

4.  If you're doing crafting and you want to do research, keep track of what you need and save things with the traits you want once you get them.

5.  Sell or deconstruct things when you get them.  Don't repair anything but key (and new) gear.  Don't accumulate sludge.  This last point is the difference between this being a mild annoyance and a headache.  Keep what you need, use crafting things when you get them, and don't be afraid to use consumables.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The limited inventory space is a similar concept to the limited action bar. You will have far more combat skills than you can fit on your action bar, just as you will be able to gather far more items than you have inventory space for.

This leads to a situation where you have to make decisions and choices. But most people hate having to choose, they want it all. It's like deciding whether you'd rather hit hard or hit fast, but you can't do both.

That's why rigid games like WoW succeed, because the player is simply not given the option to make too many choices. They are simply along for the ride, no responsibility required.

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by Anthur

The current inventory managment system in ESO has issues. Just go to any major town, visit the banker and ask yourself why are so many people gathering around here ? Because it is so much fun to handle your inventory ? ;)

You can work around these issues (as described above already) but really especially in a p2p game the developers should come up with a better solution than the current one.

In fairness, people also use the guild banks and guilds stores at the bankers.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The limited inventory space is a similar concept to the limited action bar. You will have far more combat skills than you can fit on your action bar, just as you will be able to gather far more items than you have inventory space for.

This leads to a situation where you have to make decisions and choices. But most people hate having to choose, they want it all. It's like deciding whether you'd rather hit hard or hit fast, but you can't do both.

That's why rigid games like WoW succeed, because the player is simply not given the option to make too many choices. They are simply along for the ride, no responsibility required.

It would all be nice and dandy if the choice was between 2 fun things.

When you have to choose between fun and tedious(but pretty much required as you need tons of gold in start) is where their design fails.

Annoying people who dont want to be annoyed, while at the same time does nothing for those whom it suppose to effect is a lose-lose situation.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I would counter with the argument that most MMOs start you off with far fewer than 60 slots. The difference is that there isn't the same depth of crafting, so you've got more crafting materials. If you're not crafting then simply dump this stuff in a bank or start a bank alt and just mail all this craft to that alt. 

Sorry, but using the WoW comparison again, it would take you significantly more time in WoW to get 70 slots, or 80 slots, than it does in this game, and it would cost you significantly more money.

If you really don't care about these materials, then grab a UI Mod for looting or destroying and set it up to automatically loot/destroy and only keep things like weapons, etc. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

I would counter with the argument that most MMOs start you off with far fewer than 60 slots. The difference is that there isn't the same depth of crafting, so you've got more crafting materials. If you're not crafting then simply dump this stuff in a bank or start a bank alt and just mail all this craft to that alt. 

Sorry, but using the WoW comparison again, it would take you significantly more time in WoW to get 70 slots, or 80 slots, than it does in this game, and it would cost you significantly more money.

If you really don't care about these materials, then grab a UI Mod for looting or destroying and set it up to automatically loot/destroy and only keep things like weapons, etc. 

Yep, it's the pitfall of too much choice.

WoW starter backpack is what 16? But there's no inventory management issues because the game doesn't let you start collecting crafting mats until you're level 5-6ish and you meet the first profession trainer. By then, if you're lucky with bag drops, you might have a couple more 6 slot bags, bringing you to a whopping 28 slots!

One of those slots is for your hearthstone, and your gathering tools each take up 1 slot. So if you have the 2 gathering professions, you're down to 25 slots.

ESO of course gives you 60 slots, but instead of limiting you to mining and herbalism, ESO lets you pick up just about anything you want. Pick up some cups? Sure. Pick up some bottles? Sure. Bug guts? Yep. Ore? Yep. Wood? yes. Runes? Yes. Gear? Of course! Trophies? Sure.

And that's why people have inventory issues. Not because the inventory is small or because stack size is too little, it's because everything is available to them and they are virtual hoarders (aka people who would normally never hoard IRL, but give them pixels to collect and they go ape).

It's too bad they did away with encumbrance, that would have be hilarious to watch. The tears would be so sweet!

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Doesn't seem very different from other games. EQ still starts out with only 15 inventory slots. The difference is the upgrade price for more slots, and no tradeskill path for slots. Still, what else is there to spend gold on.
  • TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Initially, I was frustrated by the inventory system. Then, I just accepted it as part of the game. You must decide what you need, and don't need. Why have an inventory at all, if you can just hoard every little thing you find? The current system makes you think, and once I came to terms with it, it doesn't bother me.
  • ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219

This is being blown out of proportion, everyone knows the inventory management is ridiculous, I'm sure ZOS knows this, they must have just thrown this together to get the game out the door asap so they can start making money. Very soon there will be changes to the inventory system.

I bet there will be a filtering system and a way to mark items as "not sellable".

I am leveling up all my crafting skill lines with one character (they are all at least lvl 12 right now, one is above 20) and I am not doing that crazy 8 character thing that guy above is doing.

My only trick is to keep the next 2 items I am going to research on me (that's only 6 items) and deconstruct everything else. I can hold 90 items in my bank and 100 items on my character so that obviously helps a lot too. Inventory space is not an issue, the only real issue is filtering.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Yea, I've had to limit myself to only two types of crafting because of limited space and I sell everything else.

Limiting myself to 2 types of craft as well. Aside from that I've had to make an alt for the CE treasuremaps, and I use that one to hold stacks of processed materials as well. Aside from that, generic cooking materials and the triangle enchant ones go into the guild bank...

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Character level 36, doing Blacksmith, clothier, woodworking, and provisioning.  I'm now level 50 in provisioning.  I have plenty of space and I'm rolling in cash.  Why.... because if I can make something in provisioning, I do.  There is no point keeping mats for provisioning while leveling if you can make a food.  You make the food, you level.  You make low level food that no one wants?  Guess what, you've just turned 2 stacks of 50 items that sell to vendors for 0 gold into a stack of 50 that sells to vendors at 5GP per unit.  Unless you are level 50+ there is NO reason  to hold on to provisioning mats when you can make stuff.  4-8K GP in 2 hours of just looting every box as I go... when I get full I go back to town and craft, then sell it all to vendors for a fast turnover.  Also if I out level an ore like Iron... I stick it in the guild back so we can make stuff for lowbies.  I have no alts and my bank space is fine... in fact I have 10 pieces of equipment for research and all my trophies in there as well.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Yea, I've had to limit myself to only two types of crafting because of limited space and I sell everything else.

I finally clued into this concept around level 10.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

That's a great system.... that shouldn't be required. Any game system that is a nuisance but can be managed by an even larger nuisance is a game system that needs to be changed.

I'm loving the game but this inventory business just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The only people this doesn't affect are people that aren't attracted to shinies in MMOs. You can't present to the average MMO players an absurd amount of shinies in every direction they look and then not give them nearly enough inventory space to handle all the shinies. That's just sadistic.

Luckily I recently hit 50 in Provisioning so I've stopped looting/pilfering/stealing/pillaging every barrel, crate, bag, backpack, nightstand, dresser, urn, and desk I come across. It's amazing how much inventory space I now have! Unfortunately that also means I won't be finding any Motifs and if I need to make more food I'll have to go on a pillaging run.

You don't know how difficult it is to run by all the shinies. *sigh*

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Provisioning items, trait items,  and crafting style items are the bane of my inventory.  It's a bitch.  Maps shouldn't take up space, trophies shouldn't take up space but they do.  There's not enough space, and the upgrades only add 10.  It's too expensive too early.  I hate having to run back and forth to town after every run just to deconstruct and place items in my bank.

I'm in a decent trade guild and have guild bank privileges and even still inventory is annoying as hell.  I've created 1 alt to handle my maps and trophies but i refuse to create characters just to have access to something I should already have.  The subscription completely nullifies the server + database load excuse. I respect the excuse but inventory should be about twice more than it is.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯