Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyrodiil: "we’re the only side that’s showing up"

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by DMKano

There are 2 campaigns that are full on all three sides - those are balanced.

Auriel's Bow and Wabbajack

Skull crusher is almost full

Dawnbreaker is pure AD 

Bloodthorn is heavy on EP

5 campaigns are deserted

I am really surprised how few players are PvPing - it's the best part of the game IMO.

What % of players PvPs in ESO? It seems to me some tiny fraction of 1%.

Because a full campaign holds 2000 players.., think about that.

At peak times there are 2 full campaigns - that's 4000 players, - lets say for a sake of argument that there are 5 full campaigns - that's be 10K players.

So again if the game has a million players - only 1% PvPs at peak with 10K players (10K is an inflated number - I doubt that there's even 5K PvPing).

Again - either nobody PvPs or the actual number of players is MUCH smaller.

My speculation is that there aren't that many folks playing ESO if not even 10K players are PvPing at peak.

Surprised about how many people aren't pvping? I dunno... could be because they are still leveling to be viable in PvP.... just a thought.

• Abraxus187Abraxus187 Member Posts: 14
    I thought gate wars 2 was bad, elder gates online takes the biscuit

AbraXuS
    www.exile-corp.com
    Clan Founder.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I am really surprised how few players are PvPing - it's the best part of the game IMO.

I thougth the whole idea, according to others, was that three faction pvp would have the underdogs gang up on the winning side?

This isn't how PVP works anymore.  Server or faction pride has been traded for dominating and easy wins.  The problem is deep down players want to know they'll win before even engaging in battle and any semblance of competition is merely for nostalgia purposes.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by madazz

(...)

My speculation is that there aren't that many folks playing ESO if not even 10K players are PvPing at peak.

Surprised about how many people aren't pvping? I dunno... could be because they are still leveling to be viable in PvP.... just a thought.

If everyone is low-level now..., you need to have 5+ levels on them to be competitive? The skill set for PvE is also so different from PvP, that you are starting over, basically, with learning your skill set and rotations. But instead of facing low-bies now, who can only do so much to you, when you get in when everyone is 50/50+/50++/a supergod and you don't know how to do a PvP rotation, you will die in 5 seconds, and leave Cyrodill in 10, until you get into a faceroll campaign and spend your time PvDoor'ing.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Covet78
    Originally posted by Brisky29
    I have not PvP'd yet, not because I don't want too, but because I've been doing so much exploring and questing and crafting. I haven't made it there yet....but soon! I wonder if a lot of folks are doing the same...idk

That's what i'm doing as well. 

also... most elder scroll fans prefer pve over pvp. Most in my guild are pve'ers and it's a at over 40 active at any one time at least. 

I think most people in general prefer pve. 

I played for the pve, might checkout the pvp later.  If I decide to stay.  

Oh, and hoping I don't loose my inventory which is happening to some people.  So if you have something in your bank that can't be replace, create a mule and load it up.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

My 1st character wasn't going to PVP. He's a gatherer, learner and general do'er. I'll go in after I hit 50 at least for the shards but not overly concerned at the moment.

One item I thought was slightly interesting. A couple of hours ago I was talking at lenght with a fellow who had a few 'stuck' questions. We chatted for a good 20 minutes or so (in game text) and eventually got around to guilds.

Apparently he was in 'Something Elites' ( I think it was Ebonheart Elites but not sure) and his 'empress' had set down a rule. No member could PvP before Vet Rank 1. Apparently you either don't PvP or you quit (or get kicked, I assume).

I applauded him (politely) on finding a group with rules he could 'obey'. No way I could do that though. As I told him, if I want to poke my head in and run around for a couple hours, no 'rule' was going to restrict me.

*shrug* To each their own.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Xirik

People are choosing to lvl to 50 before going to pvp. 

I solved it! I'm smarter then you all! HA  HA

WUT  it can't be something that logical Xirik  IT MUST BE BECAUSE THE GAME SUCKS AND IT FAILING. HURR HURRR HURR

I used to having other forum people being stupid and illogical but it seems the stupid bug infected the reviewers/bloggers

Auriela Bow and Wabbajack are full campaigns - vast majority of those 4000 players are not 50.

So why aren't those 4000 players waiting? What makes them different?

Well, in any game you get a certain percentage of players doing something else or unexpected right? That's probably what they are doing.

I mean, this game is going to have 10 million subs right? Or was it 20 million? I forget. I'm sure the other 9.5 or 19.5 million are just having hard time picking a faction. /Sarcasm

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I thougth the whole idea, according to others, was that three faction pvp would have the underdogs gang up on the winning side?

This isn't how PVP works anymore.  Server or faction pride has been traded for dominating and easy wins.  The problem is deep down players want to know they'll win before even engaging in battle and any semblance of competition is merely for nostalgia purposes.

This is why faction hard locks, atleast in pvp areas like Cyrodiil, are necessary. Give people an inch and they'll take a mile. 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't ESO allow you to play in any faction but only in your home campaign? 

Originally posted by DEAD.line
    (...)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't ESO allow you to play in any faction but only in your home campaign? 

You can switch campaigns for some amount of alliance points. 

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis
    Originally posted by DEAD.line
    (...)

You can switch campaigns for some amount of alliance points. 

I know about that one, but can i make another character in another faction with the same account, that'll be locked to my home campaign? My pvp testing in beta was limited unfortunatly.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Sounds like they should have started with a small hand full of campaigns, like 2 or 3.  Then dynamically add more campaigns as needed.  Basically when one faction locks out on a campaign they open another campaign, but not before one of the previous campaigns has a faction lock.  Sure it's possible some people in the lesser populated factions get stuck with a lopsided campaign but at least there will be fewer of those occurrences and more of a chance for that lopsided campaign to even out as more of their faction joins in.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by rodingo
    Sounds like they should have started with a small hand full of campaigns, like 2 or 3.  Then dynamically add more campaigns as needed.  Basically when one faction locks out on a campaign they open another campaign, but not before one of the previous campaigns has a faction lock. (...)

Maybe, but I don't see how you could ever end up with population balanced sides when you let people go wherever. If 80% of the people pile into alliance A, no way you are going to get a balanced three way match.

I wonder if at some point a company sets this up, but then channels/assigns people to sides and limits transfers to keep things even, instead of letting people choose the bandwagon server and hop around, trying to stay on the server that's #1 for that match.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

Dawnbreaker is pure AD 

5 campaigns are deserted

At peak times there are 2 full campaigns - that's 4000 players, - lets say for a sake of argument that there are 5 full campaigns - that's be 10K players.

So again if the game has a million players - only 1% PvPs at peak with 10K players (10K is an inflated number - I doubt that there's even 5K PvPing).

I m not a fan of WoW (at least not anymore) but if you take a deeper look to your post, you ll find the reasons why WoW is still the King, even after 10 years :)

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I have not PvP'd yet, not because I don't want too, but because I've been doing so much exploring and questing and crafting. I haven't made it there yet....but soon! I wonder if a lot of folks are doing the same...idk

This is pretty much me. I really want to try pvp out but i am just too distracted with the pve. I'll probably just end up waiting till i hit 50 to even set foot in cyridill ,it will be my endgame ...

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Dawnbreaker is pure AD 

5 campaigns are deserted

True howeer what I have noticed is that about a week ago in Europe there was only one campaign full. Today there is still only one full but 2 others seem to be filling up slowly. I'd say people first want to enjoy the time in here before jumping to PvP. Also another factor is that some people (including me at this point) don't do much PvP as it currently is a miracle to get in: loading screen forever and frequent crashes in Cyrodiil - this does not happen really anywhere else. This is I believe also blocking some players from joining.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Number one truth in here is that the huge majority of people just level up in PvE atm. Why wouldn't we, it's done very good and it has pretty much all the candies.

I wish devs had more balls to let people level via PvP, maybe not as fast as PvE but it dunno why it wouldn't be similar. I mean you still have a sea of skill points tied to quests, skyshards and rare mobs in PvE which would still be a big enaugh incentive to eventualy go there even if you  would have otherwise level via PvP.

As to the balance, it was answered already, you join campaign that is full by all sides and you get it. Except that there's not too many campaigns like that due to above reason.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

The game is 2 weeks old (1 week standard access). I know it's been mentioned, but just to be safe . . . lots of people are still leveling. We're not all AoE grinders. And yes, you could very well be level 50 by now, but if you've done it the normal way (aka not exploiting or aoe grinding) then you've been playing literally every waking hour since 5 day early access.

Not everyone plays 10 hours a day (I try to, but I'm not everyone). I'd say a large portion of the playerbase is somewhere in the early-mid 30's and will hit 50 by the end of the first month. Some of them will hop into PvP, others will just move on to 50+ content.

I'll be 50 tonight I think and I still won't be heading into PvP, I'll join everyone in PvP after I've completed all 3 factions and whatever adventure zone there is. PvP, for me, is something to do after exhausting all other content. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd say it's a safe assumption that most PvEers also feel this way.

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

I'm confused, there are a lot of people in this thread calling themselves hardcore PvPers, but state they want to level 1st.  I've PvP since level 10 at the expense of my leveling. I am level 30. Are we really going to have thousands of fresh 50's come rushing to Cyrodill because they have huge gear and stat advatages? I think we might get a boost, but nothing huge. So far AvA has not been a disaster, but very under populated. We have two servers that are fun and a absolute blast. Skullcrusher is starting to get poulation and Bloodthorn is hit or miss.

Here is what I'm worried about. PvP guilds that don't want to spend huge amounts of time in PvE to hit vet ranks are going to lose members who don't have hours to pve grind and end up leaving. PvP guilds that don't PvE grind are going to get dominated by stat/gear bonuses at Vet rank and hate the system and leave. Granted these new PvE Vets coming into Cyrodill are pretty bad for now, but damn there is way to much of a stat advantage. I have many friends I want to pull out of GW2 WvW due to AvA being so supieror. I can't. WvW offers them the ability to level your main and any alt in WvW only. There really needs to be a way to level in Cyrodill. Please give us that option.

Most servers are dead and dominated by one faction for the purpose of PvEng the dungeons and free skyshard runs.

The campaigns need to be merged into 3-4 and then expanded based on population growth.

Also, we have the issue of 30 minute loading screens and not being able to respawn after death. I tried to PvP all weekend and each time I pretty much spent an hour trying to get in, reload, close client, wait it out. When trying to do this with mulitple people all having the same issues people just give up.

Originally posted by SmarnyPete

(...) There really needs to be a way to level in Cyrodill. Please give us that option.

It used to be this way? I don't remember why they decided to nerf leveling in PvP. Kill trading?

Most servers are dead and dominated by one faction for the purpose of PvEng the dungeons and free skyshard runs.

When you say servers you mean campaigns? So, if EH dominates campaign X, all players from EH will join X, because why would you join Y, where you face a million Daggerfall guys?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I haven't PvP'd yet, but only because I'm still having too much fun with the PvE side of things. I'll probably check it out eventually, but I don't play MMOs for PvP. For me, it's just something else to do occasionally. I play FPS and CCGs for PvP.

MMORPG = I want to play a game and relax

CCG = I want to play a game but can't devote 100% attention to it ATM

FPS = Boom Headshot!!!

Joined - July 2004

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    What they need to do is cut down the number of instances to maybe 2 or 3 at most. Having so many has caused this to happen and will only get worse as the few who are pvping get bored and leave.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106

I'm confused, there are a lot of people in this thread calling themselves hardcore PvPers, but state they want to level 1st.  I've PvP since level 10 at the expense of my leveling. I am level 30. Are we really going to have thousands of fresh 50's come rushing to Cyrodill because they have huge gear and stat advatages? I think we might get a boost, but nothing huge. So far AvA has not been a disaster, but very under populated. We have two servers that are fun and a absolute blast. Skullcrusher is starting to get poulation and Bloodthorn is hit or miss.

Here is what I'm worried about. PvP guilds that don't want to spend huge amounts of time in PvE to hit vet ranks are going to lose members who don't have hours to pve grind and end up leaving. PvP guilds that don't PvE grind are going to get dominated by stat/gear bonuses at Vet rank and hate the system and leave. Granted these new PvE Vets coming into Cyrodill are pretty bad for now, but damn there is way to much of a stat advantage. I have many friends I want to pull out of GW2 WvW due to AvA being so supieror. I can't. WvW offers them the ability to level your main and any alt in WvW only. There really needs to be a way to level in Cyrodill. Please give us that option.

The campaigns need to be merged into 3-4 and then expanded based on population growth.

Also, we have the issue of 30 minute loading screens and not being able to respawn after death. I tried to PvP all weekend and each time I pretty much spent an hour trying to get in, reload, close client, wait it out. When trying to do this with mulitple people all having the same issues people just give up.

We're losing some of our players back to WvW because of the issues plaguing Cyrodil/combat at the moment or just general game design desyncs. Of course, I stand by the idea that the two are actually quite different game types even if they both devolve back to zerging in the end, but most of our roamers have for the most part quit for one reason or another and returned to GW2 for roaming purposes and are only running in ESO for guild events. We're basically split: small scale -> GW2, large epic guild events -> ESO.

Otherwise, between the bugginess and mandatory PvE grinding, we're probably going to end up getting a pretty badly split in-guild community between the two games. If Craglorn ups the VR to 12 then we're definitely going to get some quitting out of disgust.

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

(...) There really needs to be a way to level in Cyrodill. Please give us that option.

It used to be this way? I don't remember why they decided to nerf leveling in PvP. Kill trading?

When you say servers you mean campaigns? So, if EH dominates campaign X, all players from EH will join X, because why would you join Y, where you face a million Daggerfall guys?

Killing players and taking objectives doesn't give much xp. The kill 20 repeatable quest was being exploited. The kill 20 quests was the only way, but it was totally messed up. You could get close to the fighting and your 20 kills would complete w/o even having to fire your ability. Once the quest was complete people would just suicide and start over. Maybe change the kill 20 to a kill 200, 300, or 400 repetable quest? I understand Zen doesn't want keep flipping so the XP is very low, but something needs to be done.

Sorry, when I said servers I meant campaigns. The problem with Ebon dominating X is the PvPers on both sides leave to find a more balance campaign. There is no reason for Ebon PvPrs to stay on X because there is next to zero RvR. No keeps to retake, no pvp to engage in, no 3 alliance warfare. That dominated campaign becomes the place for  PvE guilds to zerg free skyshards and PvE the dungeons.  If you go to Dawns at prime you'll see AD PvE guilds by the 100's grouping up for shard/dungeon runs.

Right now we just have two campaigns to PvP in, get alliance points, RvR, and have fun. Two additional campaigns are starting to show promise.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I'm in the same boat.  I'm enjoying the exploration, building up various skill levels to Rank 4 in order to Morph them, and working on my crafting.  I'm just not in that big of a rush.  I've been working on getting my Research built up on various items under the Crafts I've chosen to specialize in so that I can unlock their Set counterparts at the specialized 'Set' crafting stations.

Sure, I'm still in a honeymoon phase intertwined with a bit of frustration over some of the glaring bugs that I continue to encounter, but I'm approaching this with a sense of perspective as well; I played 'vanilla' WoW from Closed Beta until Cataclysm, and the early months of WoW were definitely no cakewalk.  EverQuest fans (and to a lesser extent FFXI and DAoC fans, but DAoC fans were jumping ship after ToA) were as rabid about WoW's failure as other fans are now about ESO's failure.

I am more amazed at how much each zone offers in terms of exploration and seemingly 'random' encounters.  I'm loving the artwork of the environments, and I've been toying with different builds.  Overall, ESO is a massive and ambitious project, and I personally am willing to wait for things to settle.

I can understand how it could be frustrating for some, and it's not going to cater to everyone's desires, but there are other current or upcoming MMO's that I have my objections to as well.  Unlike the early days when UO, EQ, and DAoC were the very small (but incredibly diverse and spectacular) handful of options, we're surrounded by so many options it sometimes make my head spin.

Does ESO have it's share of issues that need to be addressed?  Most definitely, but any MMO of this scale is bound to get off to a rocky start. 

Originally posted by venats

We're losing some of our players back to WvW because of the issues plaguing Cyrodil/combat at the moment or just general game design desyncs. Of course, I stand by the idea that the two are actually quite different game types even if they both devolve back to zerging in the end, but most of our roamers have for the most part quit for one reason or another and returned to GW2 for roaming purposes and are only running in ESO for guild events. We're basically split: small scale -> GW2, large epic guild events -> ESO.

Otherwise, between the bugginess and mandatory PvE grinding, we're probably going to end up getting a pretty badly split in-guild community between the two games. If Craglorn ups the VR to 12 then we're definitely going to get some quitting out of disgust.

That is sad because I see the exact same situation going on in my guild. People left to go back to WvW after hitting mid 20's and realizing Cyrodill isn't an option to level.  The vet issue is also causing a lot of negative feedback.