Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online took a HUGE bite out of DDO community

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I came across something very telling on DDOracle that would suggest the DDO playerbase has taken a huge hit over the past week or so. While it's not certain that ESO is the cause, I think there is a pretty good chance that it is. I also don't know if other MMOs have experienced a similar hit, but I find this very interesting considering the dedication of the DDO community.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/Samuel_Rosenbalm/ESOhitDDOplayerbasehard_zpsdd4a619d.jpg

Notice how the nosedive corresponds with ESO's release.

Source: http://ddoracle.com/Traffic.html

Comments

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Stormvessel
    Originally posted by tuscarora
    [mod edit]

Perhaps according to you. Remember, not everyone thinks like you and likes the things you like. I know that's sometimes hard for certain people to understand, but it's true.

I did not expect to like it, and its the only mmo i pla ynow, but only because i give myself the time to to actually listen to the lore and play the game, its boring if you are looking for instanst gratification or the next big hit, but if ujust relax a bit, then its like enjoying a good pipe of tobacco once more :)

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

Well, to be fair, most of the time when players leave one of Turbine's games it's not because of another game but rather because of Turbine doing something wrong itself.

If this WAS because of ESO then chances are they'll be back when the shininess wears off of ESO.  Most of the people still playing DDO are playing because they love it (it IS the only D&D 3.5 MMO out there after all) and since ESO is NOT in the D&D universe and does NOT use the D&D rules/mechanics they'll come back...well, unless they swap to Neverwinter or something.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by KualaBD

Well, to be fair, most of the time when players leave one of Turbine's games it's not because of another game but rather because of Turbine doing something wrong itself.

If this WAS because of ESO then chances are they'll be back when the shininess wears off of ESO.  Most of the people still playing DDO are playing because they love it (it IS the only D&D 3.5 MMO out there after all) and since ESO is NOT in the D&D universe and does NOT use the D&D rules/mechanics they'll come back...well, unless they swap to Neverwinter or something.

I tended to agree until you said swap to Neverwinter....did you try that game?, nothing, at all to do with 3.5 ddo :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Is there a huge bite to take out of the DDO community ?......If DDO was still your game of choice I don't see how ESO is the mmo to steal you away. It's not really doing anything that DDO really focused on. Of course time is the only really way to tell if they quit for good or if they're just trying the new mmo and go back in a few weeks.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Good lore eso.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Looking at charts and timing is never a good way to determine why certain games fade away.

Uninformed people will say WoW killed DAoC.

People who were in DAoC at the time will understand that DAOC's population dropped because of two horrible expansions, and a bunch of core changes to the game which drove off new and veteran players alike.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    WoW did take a large portion of EQs population though.  I was one of the people who was burnt out from grinding mobs and found WoWs fast leveling and lack of competition like a vacation.  I think it also took a large portion of EQ2s population.  I tried EQ2 and original WoW actually felt more like EQ then EQ2 did.  EQ2 had a lot of things implemented to prevent kiting and kill stealing.  WoW didn't have those.  It made the game feel fairly unnatural. 
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    WoW did take a large portion of EQs population though.  I was one of the people who was burnt out from grinding mobs and found WoWs fast leveling and lack of competition like a vacation.

You always return from a vacation, and many did in this case. Makes sense considering EQ and WoW are identical in most of the worst ways.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

DDO is free to play. I don't know how you could draw a conclusion that ESO took people from DDO. It runs much like LotRO where most of the money comes from Turbine points, not subscription.

Even if a lot of DDO players did leave for ESO there really is no way to determine it.

• george99george99 Member UncommonPosts: 78

Pretty hardcore DDO'er here and I'll say TESO is a lot of fun. Definitely a different game. I assume most of the people like me are having fun with our 30 days and will even subscribe a month or two... Then it will all depend on what they release in upcoming patches.

I'll be back to DDO when I get bored or if my friend who didn't switch games want to do a powergaming session. That's the fun of f2p, I can come back when and how often I want...

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Holy crap, I didnt even know DDO still existed? Why is DDO so good and kept peoples attention? I never really looked into it that much, i did play until like level 5 or so.
  • KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by etlar
    Originally posted by KualaBD

I tended to agree until you said swap to Neverwinter....did you try that game?, nothing, at all to do with 3.5 ddo :)

I know.  I was only referencing Neverwinter because it's the only other D&D setting MMO out there even though it's not the 3.5 rules.  I also have never played it so I don't know what it's like.   :)

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    And in a related story...there's still a DDO community.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Wraithstar
    Holy crap, I didnt even know DDO still existed? Why is DDO so good and kept peoples attention? I never really looked into it that much, i did play until like level 5 or so.

It's a  good game and one of the few MMOs that really does a lot of  unique things rather than copying WoW or some other game. I doubt many people are going to quit permanently to play just another themepark (ESO)

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

..............So DDO playerbase went from 6 to 3?

Lol I kid.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273
    disregard
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Oh it's happening to the other MMO's as well. Friend of mine logged into WoW tonight and his entire guild of 300 + people were all absent. Wife plays Aion and the most people in mid lvl zones were like 8-10, max lvl 65's were almost non-existant. and usually number in the 100's on a Saturday night. I logged into RIFT earlier just to check and it was a ghost town. Called another friend who plays EvE online obsessively and he said he hasn't logged in since he got TESO 5 days ago. Get ready because this is only the beginning. When Zenimax gets everything ironed out due to the massive amount of subscribers they have gotten since last weekend TESO will rule!
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by iridescence

It's a  good game and one of the few MMOs that really does a lot of  unique things rather than copying WoW or some other game. I doubt many people are going to quit permanently to play just another themepark (ESO)

Just another themepark? ... lol

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Looking at charts and timing is never a good way to determine why certain games fade away.

People who were in DAoC at the time will understand that DAOC's population dropped because of two horrible expansions, and a bunch of core changes to the game which drove off new and veteran players alike.

That simply isn't true.  WoW launched and the same day DAoC pop was cut in half.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Oh it's happening to the other MMO's as well. Friend of mine logged into WoW tonight and his entire guild of 300 + people were all absent. Wife plays Aion and the most people in mid lvl zones were like 8-10, max lvl 65's were almost non-existant. and usually number in the 100's on a Saturday night. I logged into RIFT earlier just to check and it was a ghost town. Called another friend who plays EvE online obsessively and he said he hasn't logged in since he got TESO 5 days ago. Get ready because this is only the beginning. When Zenimax gets everything ironed out due to the massive amount of subscribers they have gotten since last weekend TESO will rule!

Agreed.

For all it's faults, it's actually a very smooth launch for an MMO of this caliber. Not to mention, the amount of content, sheer content, already available...and this is vanilla! The sky really is the limit. And this is the Elder freaking Scrolls - it will have people's attention for a long time to come.

It actually reminds me an awful lot of a young WoW. Not the game itself, but the circumstances surrounding the game. When WoW came out, it was in the shadow of Everquest 2, and for that reason, kinda flew a tad under the radar at first. It had a few problems at launch, but overall, it got sorted out. And then it exploded. Rather than start off with a massive playerbase and lose steadily from there (like most MMOs), WoW started out decent enough, and then just exploded as if from out of nowhere and just kept on snowballing, and the rest is history. 

I see that happening with ESO.

Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

That simply isn't true.  WoW launched and the same day DAoC pop was cut in half.

Haha this is so wrong it IS comical.

First, if what you say is correct, that literally half the people cancelled their DAoC subs on the DAY WoW came out, then guess what? We wouldn't have seen the drop until a month after that, so right away your story doesn't check out.

Second, DAoC's subs were NOT cut in half in 2004, or even in 2005. The population loss happened in chunks.

Originally posted by iridescence

Just another themepark? ... lol

Let's not get full of ourselves, it is a themepark. All the PvE design is very VERY close to being identical to WoW's PvE design.The RvR saves the game from being boring, but it isn't sandbox RvR.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I was actually very surprised yesterday when playing SWTOR how busy it was there. Sure there's 2XP weekend going on and I think the bounty contract week is also still going but I'd assume people would still play ESO over these events if they had bought the game, since it just released.

I had no trouble finding people for heroic missions or instances even on the notorius "mid levels" where the population is most scarse. Perhaps I got lucky, I dont know, but the general chats were alive too.

• StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I was actually very surprised yesterday when playing SWTOR how busy it was there. Sure there's 2XP weekend going on and I think the bounty contract week is also still going but I'd assume people would still play ESO over these events if they had bought the game, since it just released.

I had no trouble finding people for heroic missions or instances even on the notorius "mid levels" where the population is most scarse. Perhaps I got lucky, I dont know, but the general chats were alive too.

It's free to play, and it's not that old. It's not going to empty out overnight - doesn't mean the playerbase hasn't been affected. 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Stormvessel
    Originally posted by Kuinn

It's free to play, and it's not that old. It's not going to empty out overnight - doesn't mean the playerbase hasn't been affected. 

Rift and Aion are F2P too? Also SWTOR has horrible "end game" I personally am not even interested in lvl50+ content when your personal story and class specific content ends. I just dont see it interesting, so from my viewpoint it's very surprising. Or maybe that's just it, there's enough people who want to enjoy Star Wars story content. Then again, the fleet was quite crowded too the couple of brief times I went there (I have GTN + mailbox in my ship) /shrug.