Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth starting now?

erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

Hia,

I have played EVE before, not very long though but i did enjoy it a lot. I think i have 2 stretches of a couple of months in the past. I sold my 1st character for some isk so currently i own 1 pretty fresh char of around 3 months old with a couple of billion to spare.

Seeing that i am very far behind is it worth it starting again? If yes, how would i go about it?

Looking to get into 0.0 or wormholes when i am ready for it, those are the 2 things that interest me (i think) :P

Comments

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    You'll need about 6 months in skill training to be able to make a decent builds or a gunboat. Up to you to decide if you can sink that time. 
  • erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Yeah the time isn't too much of a problem to be honest :) thats a matter of skilltraining and keeping myself occupied in the meanwhile.
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

I just did up a skill plan for a from scratch player into a bare-bones Incursion ready Apocalypse fit and it would take 11days. That same build would be able to go run with 0.0 Battleship fleets as well.  Sure its wasn't going to be able to be awesome solo but in a group activity it would contribute just fine and be able to take enough damage that logi pilots would be able to get to it in time to rep it. The 6 months thing from a "Skill Point" side is just an excessive overstatement.  EVE is not one of those games that isn't going anywhere and the way the skill system is setup allows Characters of all ages to participate and help out. So if you have a plan of what you want to do you can usually get there pretty quickly. 

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I joined back in October, and I have found it totally worthwhile.

Much unlike a lot of games I have played (many involving level caps), I have not felt 6 years behind the people I am 6 years behind.  I am trained for a narrower pool of choices due to my lack of time training skills, but it didn't take but a few months to be good enough at what I do to play with them.

Another thing I really appreciate is that all of the "figuring it out" legwork is long done.  In a game this complex, I can't imagine having been one of the people to have to originally figure out how everything works.  All that is done, all you have to do is study, play and have fun learning from those more experienced than you.

I now have a couple alts, because my main trains a little schizophrenically.  My newest alt I set on a path for incursions immediately, as the ISK you make is just ridiculous.

So give it a go!  Join something like EVE University that exist to try to give newer players a positive and helpful experience and see where in New Eden you end up in a year!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Don't refrain from pvp thinking you're too low skilled or stuff like that. Your clone is dirt cheap and you have some iskies already anyways so go and try things.
  • EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by erinys

Hia,

I have played EVE before, not very long though but i did enjoy it a lot. I think i have 2 stretches of a couple of months in the past. I sold my 1st character for some isk so currently i own 1 pretty fresh char of around 3 months old with a couple of billion to spare.

Seeing that i am very far behind is it worth it starting again? If yes, how would i go about it?

Looking to get into 0.0 or wormholes when i am ready for it, those are the 2 things that interest me (i think) :P

You can't be too much far behind, unless you want a do-it-all character.... A titan-flying-industrialist-researcher or something out of whack like that. Level 5 skills grant you very little in return unless they give you access to new skills that you can train or fly specialized ships.

Originally posted by Robokapp

just dont put railguns on a stealth bomber...and then try to rat with it. 

I was so bad at fitting stuff...:(

Yeah, don't put railguns on anything! Unless you're not flying solo or have a lot of neuts fitted.

• bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141
    No, not worth it.  You WILL get bored again and quit.
  • IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
    Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous - Don't waste your time with EVE.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Iylz

They're different games and on the MMO side can't even compete with EVE.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by NetSage

They're different games and on the MMO side can't even compete with EVE.

That's interesting considering we don't even know much about Star Citizen yet in terms of it MMO features. Maybe you got some insider info you would like to share with rest of us?
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    if you liked it in a little stretch, OP, you will love it once you have a corp to work with.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Think th eplayer is looking for a MMO, not lobby based co-op Mplay space sims.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Muke

Actually Elite:Dangerous is an MMO and it makes EVE Universe look small.  

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Teala

Certainly hope so, huge fan of the original Elite, but yet, those 2 games are still in development.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Certainly hope so, huge fan of the original Elite, but yet, those 2 games are still in development.

Good news is you won't have to wait much longer for Elite, it is slated to release this year.  :)

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Every day is a good day to start EvE :)
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Good news is you won't have to wait much longer for Elite, it is slated to release this year.  :)

Didn't EVE have over 4000 solar systems? And lets be honest here Star Citizen will take another 3-4 years to come out and if Elite is getting shat out this year expect it to be Early Access in which case good f-ing luck for it to compare to EVE in any way favorably except, maybe, combat.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Didn't EVE have over 4000 solar systems? And lets be honest here Star Citizen will take another 3-4 years to come out and if Elite is getting shat out this year expect it to be Early Access in which case good f-ing luck for it to compare to EVE in any way favorably except, maybe, combat.

4000? There are over 7500 ever since wormholes were introduce. 

Games like elit and star citizen are nothing like EvE, they are space sims which mean the combat and graphics will be superior but everything else that makes eve unique is not going to be the scope of those games, no matter how they try to advertise them.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

It pains me to type this, because I love EVE and think it is a fantastic game, but I do not think its worth starting for most people, really. I started playing maybe a little more than a year ago, and played pretty religiously for some time and even had 3 accounts, so I am not saying this from dislike of the game.

But... what I had realized after a while is that yes, you can pvp in most any ship and no, you don't need to be a titan pilot to have fun, but you WILL have to invest a substantial amount of SP into areas that help you make money, not PVP, and if you want to PVP that obviously is a drawback (a huge one in my opinion). For a game like EVE i think it is utterly baffling how the way you fit and spec for PVE (making money) is totally different from how you fit and spec for PVP.

It is possible, in fact very lucrative, to make money through PVP, but here is the real problem you will face - Unless you plan to commit countless hours a day hunting your prey, you will be lucky to even find fight. And I'm not talking about fair fights, they dont exist in EVE. In fact, EVEs combat is all about positioning yourself to have the advantage in my opinion. I would spend hours upon hours in my wormhole baiting, hunting, etc - but people have way too many tools at their disposal to avoid you.... but Im getting off topic.

Unless you have a buddy/corp feeding you resources for a long time until your SP is up to snuff, you wont have a good time honestly. **IN MY OPINION**

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You can get ridiculous amounts of ISK from FW plexes with minimal SP

If you join a nullsec alliance, you will get a lot of support with ships

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Every day is a good day to start EvE :)

this!

last 10 years Eve was best MMORPG  &  for sure ll be best MMORPG in next 10 years , Eve is live virtual space

Skill points are only numbers for 2 months you ll be ok, compared with veterans,just find or make friendships in game & you ll get fun.

... but if you are solo player  wait  for  Elite Dangerous  & Star Citizen two great sp+co-op+MP space sims ,EVE is based on players interactions in any segment of game play,EVE is MMO driven by players.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by svandy

It pains me to type this, because I love EVE and think it is a fantastic game, but I do not think its worth starting for most people, really. I started playing maybe a little more than a year ago, and played pretty religiously for some time and even had 3 accounts, so I am not saying this from dislike of the game.

But... what I had realized after a while is that yes, you can pvp in most any ship and no, you don't need to be a titan pilot to have fun, but you WILL have to invest a substantial amount of SP into areas that help you make money, not PVP, and if you want to PVP that obviously is a drawback (a huge one in my opinion). For a game like EVE i think it is utterly baffling how the way you fit and spec for PVE (making money) is totally different from how you fit and spec for PVP.

It is possible, in fact very lucrative, to make money through PVP, but here is the real problem you will face - Unless you plan to commit countless hours a day hunting your prey, you will be lucky to even find fight. And I'm not talking about fair fights, they dont exist in EVE. In fact, EVEs combat is all about positioning yourself to have the advantage in my opinion. I would spend hours upon hours in my wormhole baiting, hunting, etc - but people have way too many tools at their disposal to avoid you.... but Im getting off topic.

Unless you have a buddy/corp feeding you resources for a long time until your SP is up to snuff, you wont have a good time honestly. **IN MY OPINION**

CCP talked about this at (the last?) fanfest so a PvE revamp is somewhere in the future.

They talked about fewer but much smarter NPCs.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Hazelle
    Originally posted by svandy

CCP talked about this at (the last?) fanfest so a PvE revamp is somewhere in the future.

They talked about fewer but much smarter NPCs.

With incursions, your PVP fit/skills is your PvE fit/skills and makes more then enough money. basic fits aren't that expensive either.