Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why ESO is really really bad...

My original post titled "Why ESO sucks big donkey balls!" was blocked.  I have no idea.  Maybe the title or maybe the community rep doesn't bother reading the posts before they block it.

Here is the post again with a tamer title.

10. No "yellow brick road".  After UO and ever since EQ1 I have been trained a certain way to play an MMO.  You get a quest.  You don't read the text (or in ESO's case listen to voice-over... yes every single quest has a voice over).  You click the convo until there are no more and you exit the convo.  Wait for the YBR and follow it along.  I was trained, conditioned, brainwashed to do this.  This is the way you do things.  This is how you progress from one quest to another.  Well, someone forgot to tell ESO this is how it is done.  They expect me to read/listen to the quests NPCs.  They actually give directions that are vital to the quest.  There are alternative outcomes that the quest conclusions.  And sometimes I am running around in a circle asking myself, where the hell am I suppose to go.  Sometimes I know where to go but my pathing is so bad I get completely lost and I have to turn around (Dam you stupid hills).

9. No "easy levels".  Again, if you did not to bother with quests, the previous MMOs have trained me that a viable alternative is to go in the field filled with rabbits and kill rabbits.  Kill a handful and you should level past the newbie area and be able to progress.  If you don't know where the rabbit field is, that is ok, because a quest telling you to kill 10 rabbits will be able to show you to the rabbit field.  Well again, ESO has to be "different".  There are no rabbits to kill.  You have to do quests.  Which means you have to read the quest prompts, and think about the quests and make choices... You can go kill mudcrabs but you have to kill thousands of them to level.  But if you can stand there and kill over 100k mudcrabs you can get to 50... I think.

8. Graphics too realistic.  I endured the painful quests and lack of easy mobs to grind and was able to get to the next zone.  I was running around and jumping over trees trying to get to the next quest.  I did not quite know where the next quest was but I knew if I ran around a bit I would eventually be able to find one.  As I was running I saw a resource node and I ran to it.  As I was gathering some flax a freaken giant bat started attacking me.  The bat was next to a tree which was next to the resource node.  But the bat blended in with the tree so much I was unaware and it screeched at me and jumped down on me.  Scared the freaken crap out of me.  You don't do that in an MMO.  You don't hide monsters in the foliage and have them jump out at you.  That is not fair.  And the freaken bat was scary as crap to look at.  It should look blocky and cute.  It should not make loud screeching noises and jump on me while I harvesting a node.  I am old man.  I could have had a heart-attack.  I could totally sue them.  Oh and there are trolls under bridges.  I was running over a bridge and as soon as I got to the other side a big ugly troll came smacking me from behind.  I was like WTF ESO!!?  You don't ambush me while I am running around aimlessly looking for the next quest!  You don't do that!

7. Too many quests.  I am the kind of guy that likes to complete everything before I go to the next zone.  I am anal that way.  And it usually is not problematic as everything is laid out for me and each zone is not that big.  Well again, ESO did not get that memo.  It is hard to find all the quests.  Things are hidden around the map and you have to literally run around and explore.  That would not be a problem if they would make the zones smaller.  Each zone is so freaken big and there are so many quests, caves, mini-bosses, islands and other crap to go around and see that it takes so freaken long to do everything in a zone!!  It is just to big!  Which leads to point 6.

6. Too much content.  After a few days I finally finished the first zone.  I pre-ordered the game so I got the early access.  I was able to put a good 6 hours each day and it took me three days to get to the second zone.  After I completed the second zone (third zone if you count the starter island) and I pressed map on the third zone and saw how big it was, I almost wanted to stop playing right there.  It just seemed like so much to do.  I was barely over lvl 24.  I recalled how long it took me to complete the other two zones and I was just mentally fatigued.  I have to run around and look for the quests and dungeons.  I have to pay attention to the quest givers.  I have to think to complete most of them.  To do that in each zone and averaging only 10 to 15 levels each zone.  I realized how long it would take me and I was just not use to that.  I should be max level in a week at most.  I was mentally preparing myself for the end game grind after like 7 days and here after 7 days I am in the third zone and not even half way to max level.  WHAT IS GOING ON ESO!!!

5. No grind at the end.  A few of the other guild members who have more time on their hands were able to push toward 50 in a week.  I guess I just suck.  I was waiting to have them tell me what to grind at 50 and how I should prepare myself for it.  But there was no grind.  Heck they hit 50 and that just meant they could go to the next continent and do all their quests.  And of course ESO doesn't make it easy and they scale it to 50, while at the same time everyone on the other continent think they are just one of them.  So, like, an AD member can go to the Ebonhart continent and do all their quests.  Not only is it scaled they are different quests!!!  What is going on!!!  I want to relax and go brain dead.  I don't need another freaken set of zones like I have been going through.  Why are they doing this?  I don't understand.  Twenty years of MMOs have scripted a way things should be and they are going off script!  Who the hell do they think they are?

4. Promotes Anti-social behavior.  You don't have to group or join a guild.  It is not a requirement.  But they MAKE YOU adventurer with other players.  In ALL... and I mean ALL!!!! other mmos you need to group through a dungeon or a special mob fight to get credit for completion.  So you know, you sit around and do a zone chat asking for a group and after an hour or so you go find a group and you head out.  Some games have group finders and you have to submit your resume (1500 dps, experienced in raid A, B, C... type resume) Not in this game.  I don't know how they do it, but you can just go to a dungeon and other players are all running down there as well and doing the same thing you are doing and you get full credit for it.  You can help them or they can help you and there is no steal killing or grief-ing.  People run around do their stuff and leave.  No waiting in line.  No arguments about who was here first or why did you steal this or anything.  Even if you wanted to solo (which would be near impossible to finish the dungeon) ESO won't let you.  If there is a difficult mini-boss you run into, do a local shout and people come help you kill and leave.  No grouping, no ninja loot stealing (all loot is instanced per individual) just come help kill and leave.  I enjoyed the downtime I had when I need a group.  I enjoyed sitting around in the city reading the zone chat and listening to people talk politics and how WOW was the first MMO.  I like those moments.  It was a good break from killing the 10 rabbits.  But no, ESO says you don't get to do that.  If you want to group great but you do not HAVE TO.  They are anarchists!

3. No Auto Follow Command.  I know a lot of people complain about gold farmers.  But you have to realize those people need to make a living too.  Just because we live in prosperous places and have plenty of food does not mean that exists everywhere.  Certain places are not as fortunate.  A lot of these places the only job you can get is gold farming video games and selling the gold so they can put food on their table.  Don't hate them for trying to make a living.  The auto follow command is essential for gold farmers.  It does my heart good to see ASDF being followed by FGHJ and JKLM.  I smile when they go kill the rabbits in the rabbit field.  I smile when they farm the same monster over and over again.  I don't mind that they are taking away the rabbits I need to grind to get to next level or that they are stealing my resources.  I feel like I am helping the common man by letting them kill the rabbits.  ASDF is my friend.  One day I will name a dog ASDF.

2. Crafting is too complex.  I don't understand it.  I don't get it.  All the other games it is gather press a button and repeat.  Actually to be fair other games recently coming out has also made crafting complex.  But at least in those games they make crafting all doable in a central location.  Here I hear people saying you have to go this place to craft a special piece or you have to do this research in this order so you can go over here to get this bonus and you need this to do that and.... FRAK YOU ESO!!!  Why do you make my brain hurt!

1. Stable game.  First thing I do when a game launches is read the hacker forums to find out the best way to exploit the game.  I look for quick exp exploits as well as economy exploits.  Lets be real here.  The 5 day early access is not so you can get 5 days early to play the game.  it is 5 days to exploit the game.  We all know it and that is why you have to be constantly monitoring reddit.  Well sure enough ESO had an exp exploit.  I figured I had some time so I decided to read more up on it.  Most games take at least a couple weeks before fixing such an exploit.  Two days.  Are you kidding me?  HOW THE FRAK DO YOU EXPECT ME TO EXPLOIT THE GAME IN TWO DAYS!!  Hell I could not even get to lvl 10 to do the exploit in two days!  After two days they bring down the servers and I am like... no impossible.  But yeah possible.  

ESO needs to understand something.  Twenty years of MMO play has made me have certain expectations.  You have met none of those expectations.  I am greatly disturbed and I strongly suggest you rethink your game design.  I know what you fanboys are saying.  Why come on and whine about the game, just quit.  Well, first I paid for the game and I did a 6 month subscription.  Now would they reimburse my 6 months?  Probably, but I am not going to let them get off that easily.  I am going to whine and cry like a princess in Compton!  And if they don't give me back my YBR soon, things are going to get ugly!  Hulk vs. Loki type ugly!

Comments

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    I couldent get past your first couple of sentences. You obviously didnt play uo, because UO had no quests intill way way way later, and they wernt really quests. 
  • Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    You really should finish reading it =)

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    HA nice one. Now I think I will buy it.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I read the title and clicked so I could comment on how wrong you are... then I read the post, very entertaining. And it is definitely 10 reasons why I love this game. 

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• adino32adino32 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    I couldent get past your first couple of sentences. You obviously didnt play uo, because UO had no quests intill way way way later, and they wernt really quests. 

I made UO and EQ the exception.  At least that is what I meant.  My wording could have been off.

• kinky10kinky10 Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Errrrmmm
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

I see what you did!

;)

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    I must say. I have been thoroughly convinced by this well written, and eloquent piece. 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    The same problem most people have in game with number 10 is also the reason most people won't read enough of your post to understand what you did there.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

It was blocked for a reason. It's called Trolling.

As much as you want to positively express your Opinion, you're expressing it with a trolling format. Enough grounds for being blocked.

Sorry

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

OP I just wanted to pop in here for a second...

I dont post alot these days, havent found time with all the ESO ive been playing but truely...your post has swayed me.

I dont know where these days have gone, its been dark, terrifying almost, how little Ive seen my wife or my beutriful 27 children...The constant knowledge that I havent been there for them, and now, after this, realizing through your brave and powerful words thats its been on a subpar-bargin-bin-hlf finished MMO, I feel like a failure, like a Brad Mcquaid without the extra 18 dollars in my wallet.

Like a spell of holding that I have been broken from realizing ESO isnt for me anymore, and being thrust back onto these forums like a magic missle through your words of truthy-truthness.

Thank you OP, I thank you, the world thanks you, my plethora of multi-racial children thank you, even the dark elf one (Bobby-Jiub Jr)

Thank you.

Originally posted by udon
    The same problem most people have in game with number 10 is also the reason most people won't read enough of your post to understand what you did there.

That is ok.  You help those that want to be helped.  No amount of effort will help those that don't want help.

Originally posted by Ivylena

As much as you want to positively express your Opinion, you're expressing it with a trolling format. Enough grounds for being blocked.

Sorry

Well, to be honest, I don't post much as you can see by my rank but I don't see how having a trolling format makes it trolling.  I would think content would count on what it would be as opposed to "format".  But again, I don't know and I have asked them to clarify and hopefully they will.

No need to be sorry.  You are not the one who blocked me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I like how OP of post like this always have like 15 posts. These publishers are playing a dirty game. Wouldn't you if there was this much money involved?

Hell I'd give bonuses to employees to bash the competitors along side paying professionals. We are talking 100s of millions of dollars.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Dislike the game's payment model but you sir have done a service to the forums with that OP.

• adkenneradkenner Member Posts: 18

I liked how the one thing you stayed away from is truly the one main reason why ESO is really really bad.....the combat. 

The combat in ESO is quite literally some of the worst I have ever seen in an MMO. It is boring and repetitive almost instantly. It is similar to combat in almost every MMO for the last 10 years...just done MUCH worse. Combat is so floaty and poorly animated, it feels like a poorly made game from the last 90's. It has no "feel"...and while I know that is a hard term to define, it is vitally important to any MMO. 

All of the things you mentioned are pretty much true. ESO has some good systems. But since combat is 98% of the game, you would have thought they could have improved that crucial aspect of the game. To me, it is so bad it keeps me from logging into the game. 

I have owned the game for a week, and was looking for a refund within my first 3 hours of playing it. The combat is as bad or worse that any MMO I've ever played. Since I bought the game from GMG and had already gotten a code, I could not get a refund. I was really disappointed, because this game honestly does suck donkey balls. Since I am stuck with it for a month, I have TRIED to play a couple more times. I have tried every class, magic/melee/ranged....and within 2 hours every time, I am bored to tears. I doubt I will ever log in again unless they somehow do a complete overhaul of the combat system.  

So in closing, the game does a lot right. It does one thing....the most important thing in an MMO...so poorly that all of the good gets washed away. There is no way this game doesn't for FTP within 6 months, and unless major combat changes were made, I wouldn't even play it then. 

To anyone still on the fence...DO NOT waste your money on this piece of crap. 

• The_GekkoThe_Gekko Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Ivylena

Sorry

I'm not quite sure I'd call it trolling.

It was definitely satire, and well done satire too IMHO (I kept reading OP's post in Colbert's voice), but I don't think it was meant to incite any flaming.

All in all, I found it refreshing from the normal run-of-the-mill stale reviews.

And I'm quite enjoying the game myself.

Originally posted by bcbully

I like how OP of post like this always have like 15 posts. These publishers are playing a dirty game. Wouldn't you if there was this much money involved?

Hell I'd give bonuses to employees to bash the competitors along side paying professionals. We are talking 100s of millions of dollars.

Flattered you think I am pro-publisher but I am just a bored husband that can't play ESO right now.

Everyone automatically jumps to the conclusion that I am bashing WoW.  I guess there is a logical reason for that, being it is the biggest ever.  But in reality I am bashing all of them.  If I was bashing any mmo specifically, it would be NeverWinter.  It was the last one I played and it was beautiful and very predicable.

I really am impressed with the game.  It is more Elder scrolls then MMO.  No housing, no massive guild functionality, limited economy distribution, and all these things made me doubt the game, but playing it is... refreshing.

Everyone old enough to play UO, EQ and DaoC always compares it to those games and no game ever measures up.  Kind of like comparing your current girlfriend with your first love.  Hard to live up to a memory.  This game makes me smile when I play it.  I am too old to be a hardcore player and I don't get "excited" anymore over a game, but this game is very enjoyable.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    If your first topic is blocked its bad idea to repost it again. 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It's funny to see how people are not able (or willing) to read between the lines of the OP.  Specially the "fans" of the game.  Reminds me of Primus t-shirts and bumper stickers from back in the day.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by adkenner

I liked how the one thing you stayed away from is truly the one main reason why ESO is really really bad.....the combat. 

The combat in ESO is quite literally some of the worst I have ever seen in an MMO. It is boring and repetitive almost instantly. It is similar to combat in almost every MMO for the last 10 years...just done MUCH worse. Combat is so floaty and poorly animated, it feels like a poorly made game from the last 90's. It has no "feel"...and while I know that is a hard term to define, it is vitally important to any MMO. 

All of the things you mentioned are pretty much true. ESO has some good systems. But since combat is 98% of the game, you would have thought they could have improved that crucial aspect of the game. To me, it is so bad it keeps me from logging into the game. 

I have owned the game for a week, and was looking for a refund within my first 3 hours of playing it. The combat is as bad or worse that any MMO I've ever played. Since I bought the game from GMG and had already gotten a code, I could not get a refund. I was really disappointed, because this game honestly does suck donkey balls. Since I am stuck with it for a month, I have TRIED to play a couple more times. I have tried every class, magic/melee/ranged....and within 2 hours every time, I am bored to tears. I doubt I will ever log in again unless they somehow do a complete overhaul of the combat system.  

So in closing, the game does a lot right. It does one thing....the most important thing in an MMO...so poorly that all of the good gets washed away. There is no way this game doesn't for FTP within 6 months, and unless major combat changes were made, I wouldn't even play it then. 

To anyone still on the fence...DO NOT waste your money on this piece of crap. 

Not to debate with you, but I almost put a thing about combat.  Combat has changed in the last few years.  Limited skill slots, no more number punching, free flowing reticle.  I am not sure how it is worse than others, but I will give that is about the same as the most recent releases.  FFXIV ARRB as well as NW have very similair mechanics.  Sorry you did not like the game, but since you got it for another 2 weeks you can try to EBAY it or Craiglist it.  I had two months left on my FFXIV and I was able to get a return (small one) using craigslist.

This discussion has been closed.