Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Elder Scrolls Online: Review in Progress #2

2»

Comments

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

what zbones said....

and ive given this a go ....ill say it i have  a lower end graphics card a gtx640 and i am VERY pleased at frame rates , im pleased that i can up the graphics detail very high and get no lag....

my only grip is its a bit hard at first for some missions and to tell where i have to go a few seem bugged like one where it tells me to find this guy and its stuck invisibly in some archway .....

anyhow im doing good and already in a guild about 10 hrs play at level 8 

so for 15 bucks a month and fellow canadians this american game is giving us all ON PAR dollar for dollar....so its a lilttle bargain in that sense....

i agree however that pvp with this style a system might take a bit more effort...have yet to actually try it....but i think i'd wait a bit till im better geared up ....or go with a group of veterans...

and to add naked screaming painted red , and waving your arms would be accurate.

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I so do want to like this game, but I suspect in my case I have a bit of MMO burnout.... probably best to stop playing for a few months overall and then return... byt then many bugs should be sorted out and the population is most likely in a steady-state.

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    PS: is it really Bethesda who is doing the "patching"? I thought it is Zenimax. Bethesda only gave the rights and whatever advice to them? 

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Zbones

Did this kid just say he hit End-Game at level 10?

Oh yes, that sounds like a wonderful way to base an opinion on a huge game. At level 10, you should have no Horse, no gear, and low-leveled skills. You go into Open World PVP against veteran-leveled players in Epic and Legendary Gear, using max level skills and enchantments.

Thats like running into a warzone naked, painted red, and screaming. So do us all a favor, Play the damn game before you start condemning anything.

That was just too funny. No, seriously, I'm laughing my butt off in real life here. I really hate pvp personally so don't play it and I don't think truer words have ever been spoken about it. And I can safely say that the same thing applies to pve too. If you run to a top level area at level 10 and get your butt handed to you, you have no one but yourself to blame. 

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Saqcat
    The part where you don't have room in your inventory to level all crafting professions is false. You can put the mats in the bank and craft them from there.

There's not enough bank space to get all the professions either. I just use storage alts as the idea of not leveling all crafting professions never occurred to me.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game had way to many design flaws for me to warrant a purchase, but I can't believe that they went ahead and launched with so many bugs. Worst being disappearing items. No MMO, ever, should launch if the security and sanctity of characters, their inventory and equipped items can't be absolutely guaranteed.

The game does look nice, but so much is either sub-par or seriously dated that, graphics aside, it feels like a typical flubbed MMORPG release from a decade ago. I've been disappointed at the slow evolution of the genre, but at least the trend on release quality has been a very positive one. There was a day when almost every MMO, at launch, was a mess of bugs and other serious issues that effected game play. The past five or more years, even if most titles have been uninspired, they've at least launched as largely stable, playable, though uninspired, titles.

Harkening back to the olden days, this game also brought forth another element of negative MMO design nostalgia: This was a game that might have been quite excellent with another year of development aimed squarely at addressing it's obvious shortcomings. Sadly, mis-launched almost never fix their major flaws after launch.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by fiontar

The game had way to many design flaws for me to warrant a purchase, but I can't believe that they went ahead and launched with so many bugs. Worst being disappearing items. No MMO, ever, should launch if the security and sanctity of characters, their inventory and equipped items can't be absolutely guaranteed.

The game does look nice, but so much is either sub-par or seriously dated that, graphics aside, it feels like a typical flubbed MMORPG release from a decade ago. I've been disappointed at the slow evolution of the genre, but at least the trend on release quality has been a very positive one. There was a day when almost every MMO, at launch, was a mess of bugs and other serious issues that effected game play. The past five or more years, even if most titles have been uninspired, they've at least launched as largely stable, playable, though uninspired, titles.

Harkening back to the olden days, this game also brought forth another element of negative MMO design nostalgia: This was a game that might have been quite excellent with another year of development aimed squarely at addressing it's obvious shortcomings. Sadly, mis-launched almost never fix their major flaws after launch.

I've not encountered any of the bugs your talking about yet . But then again neither have you given you're not playing the game .In basing it all on hearsay your speaking out of an orifice that is not your mouth .

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Liked the review.   I myself am doing all crafts at same time, I cannot even count how many hours now, but its been fun doing it so far.   Inventory is a tetris, and if you plan on having all crafts, you must use every character slot as inventory.  

I am really big on unlocking every single Trait, so first thing I did since launch is get all three smithings up to 8 for the unlock of a second research.   Right now I am currently able to research 2 traights at once on all three smiths.  That makes 6 traits being researched nonstop.  You definatly have to have a system down for inventory management.  

So heres my setup for inventory to do all crafts:

1 Main character,  have nothing on them except for lockpicks, treasure maps, and monkey!

2. Provisioner Mule, keep all your provisions on this character

3. Enchanting and Alchemy,  all mats go on this character after your field gathering runs.

4.  Heavy Armor and extra styles and some armor trait gems until you get bigger bank

5. Medium Armor mule  all medium armor and overflow clothing stacks

6. Light Armor mule all light armor and some weapon trait gems or CE treasure maps.

7.  Metal weapons - all blacksmithing weapons.

8.  Woodworking mule, all shields, bow and staffs.

Make a chart with all the traits for every single craft.   Then keep banking those pieces until you have all of the researched items stored on your alts.   transfer back to bank when you plan on researching them.   Note: You can research items in your bank without having them on your person.

I recommend deconstructing extra gear and weapons you don't need for researching and getting the trait gem from them when you deconstruct them.   save them up for your crafting later on.   Or sell your extra gear and weapons until you can afford the 11k bank space.   Then try to deconstruct the rest for the trait gems and upgrade items. 

Use guildstores to get the weapons and armor you need for researching traits, I still need quite a few, so constantly hitting that guildstore is a must for those missing pieces you need to research.   

Other then that, I think the review is right on target, and looks great.   Don't forget you can level up on treasure chests alone if you are doing all crafts, you'll level right along with your craftings average level if you do it that way.  Don't forget to the skyshards, as crafting will take them all if you do all crafting.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    game is great in start but in higher level zones/gameplay game is almost bad game
  • IvorySamoanIvorySamoan Member Posts: 10

I'm loving it - have 1 char at 10, another at 8 - just hit PvP and BOOM! Was funtimes.

Having said that, I died a bunch.. but i got a few kills and the sneaking mechanic is MANDATORY for awesome ganking, especially with a small group (the best way to play IMO).

Can't wait till my DK is a bit tougher/decked in skills - long live ESO in my books!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    It's designed for you to have to make actual choices. I recommend leveling the most useful crafting skills for you first. I for one am concentrating on enchantments and blacksmithing. Things like cooking level up stupid fast. 
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

This MMO upholds many of the qualities of the Elder Scrolls franchise: excellent story line, great graphics, and more.  But it has one major negative that has become frustrating: broken quests and dungeons.  At level 20 several of the quests have been hit or miss with bugs.  One common remedy is to logout and login but that only fixes some of them.  The dungeons also have issues where the main objectives can not be completed.   You can be midway through the course of a quest line or at the end stage of a dungeon and then you're stuck.  

This is not what I expected from a title with a reputation for quality it has had.  Its disappointing.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I might try this on console so I'll wait til June.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Zegaloth
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

The last patch not only killed FPS for many players, it also causes a lot of us to continually crash.

This tells me that they not only didn't test the game robustly before launch, they aren't testing it robustly now before patching.

With respect to the smartass telling the other poster to get a horse (or hourse, if you prefer), seems to me I can sprint almost as fast as a horse can run.  At least that has been my experience so far.  Having a horse means I only waste four minutes and thirty seconds running back to battle instead of five.  Whether or not you have a horse, you still die within seconds (literally within seconds), almost always from an enemy you never see.

It's not a good PvP experience.  You should never die within seconds; you should never die without even being able to tell who and what is killing you.

For those of you who are killing your opponents that same way and gloating over how "uber" you are, think about it.  Is it really "skill" that lets you one-shot someone from so far away that all he can see is a different colored shield over your hear (and everyone else's head in the zerg you're with).

Call it PvP if you wish, if that appeals to you.  I call it a bad joke on everyone.

DAoC it is not... It's not even AV in WoW.

Of course you are going to get 1 shot in pvp at level 10. While you are scaled up to 50, you still lack the stat points, skill points, and gear that a level 50/Vet rank 10 would have access to.

There are also siege weapons which are probably what you keep dieing from, and I would hope a humanoid would get crushed by a 2 ton boulder being hurdled at your head.

There should have been healers nearby to heal you, if not how can you suspect to survive in large scale pvp without a group?

This isn't AV in WoW, and even if you jumped into a pile of guys by yourself in WoW you would die, especially if you were level 10 and your enemies were level 80, 90, 100...

It sounds like you already dislike the game, and are grasping at straws.

Its not WoW, and its not Daoc which is a good thing. I feel like it went from a simple cash grab (Back in first beta test game was terrible) to a pretty well fleshed out game with something for everyone.

Something you need to remember is that while this is a business it is run by people, and people make mistakes, I know its easier to forget that we are all humans behind our monitors, but if you try to find the good in something that these people have spent thousands of hours painstakingly creating for us to enjoy, you will find a wealth of well made content.

Wtf is the point in having a healer near you, if you're getting 1-shot? You're contradicting yourself.

Btw, interesting discussion, and the eh... "PvP" is obviously nothing like I would expect.

Yet another reason to stay away. I did indeed choose wisely when deciding not to buy this game.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by Zegaloth
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

The last patch not only killed FPS for many players, it also causes a lot of us to continually crash.

This tells me that they not only didn't test the game robustly before launch, they aren't testing it robustly now before patching.

With respect to the smartass telling the other poster to get a horse (or hourse, if you prefer), seems to me I can sprint almost as fast as a horse can run.  At least that has been my experience so far.  Having a horse means I only waste four minutes and thirty seconds running back to battle instead of five.  Whether or not you have a horse, you still die within seconds (literally within seconds), almost always from an enemy you never see.

It's not a good PvP experience.  You should never die within seconds; you should never die without even being able to tell who and what is killing you.

For those of you who are killing your opponents that same way and gloating over how "uber" you are, think about it.  Is it really "skill" that lets you one-shot someone from so far away that all he can see is a different colored shield over your hear (and everyone else's head in the zerg you're with).

Call it PvP if you wish, if that appeals to you.  I call it a bad joke on everyone.

DAoC it is not... It's not even AV in WoW.

Of course you are going to get 1 shot in pvp at level 10. While you are scaled up to 50, you still lack the stat points, skill points, and gear that a level 50/Vet rank 10 would have access to.

There are also siege weapons which are probably what you keep dieing from, and I would hope a humanoid would get crushed by a 2 ton boulder being hurdled at your head.

There should have been healers nearby to heal you, if not how can you suspect to survive in large scale pvp without a group?

This isn't AV in WoW, and even if you jumped into a pile of guys by yourself in WoW you would die, especially if you were level 10 and your enemies were level 80, 90, 100...

It sounds like you already dislike the game, and are grasping at straws.

Its not WoW, and its not Daoc which is a good thing. I feel like it went from a simple cash grab (Back in first beta test game was terrible) to a pretty well fleshed out game with something for everyone.

Something you need to remember is that while this is a business it is run by people, and people make mistakes, I know its easier to forget that we are all humans behind our monitors, but if you try to find the good in something that these people have spent thousands of hours painstakingly creating for us to enjoy, you will find a wealth of well made content.

Wtf is the point in having a healer near you, if you're getting 1-shot? You're contradicting yourself.

Btw, interesting discussion, and the eh... "PvP" is obviously nothing like I would expect.

Yet another reason to stay away. I did indeed choose wisely when deciding not to buy this game.

Well, he likely isnt getting 1 shot in the first place. Just QQing because he dies a lot. IF he is getting 1 shot it's likely either as Zegolath said, from a siege weapon, or possibly from getting hit by multiple people at once. We were actually doing this in a group I had going a few ays ago. 5 people all stealthers with Bow spec. With 5 of us focusing someone from stealth with heavy attacks from a bow... yeah thats pretty much instant death. How do you counter it? Get your own 5 man going, not going back at solo then raging that you're dying to multiple people all jumping you at once.

Personally I think he is just plain full of it since he is claiming he is constantly getting killed by people from "so far away that all he can see is a different colored shield over your hear" considering max range on pretty much anything is only 28m, which is not very far at all and is one of my own issues with the game from an archer's perspective.

Anyway, if all else fails, take a look at both your own skills as a player as well as your build. Perhaps your build works great for you in PvE, but that doesnt mean it will amount to shit in PvP. There are actually only a few builds that can really excel in both at the same time with no changes needed to skill layout. I happen to play one of those, a Nightblade bow user with a focus on Siphoning skills as well as the Assassin tree's executions and a resto staff as my secondary. I'm not a glass cannon, which he likely is, but instead have a pretty balanced mix of DPS, CC, and multiple heals (both from the Siphoning lifetaps and Resto heals). I rarely have an issue at level 25 with handling anything less than 4 people as long as I ambush them rather than them ambushing me. I can drop my initial target usually in about 5 seconds, before they even react to my presence, then CC another target and take out a different one all while keeping HoTs on myself and kiting. But if someone is built for only 1 specific task, such as being "uber DPS" for PvE because a tank will keep aggro off them, theyre going to get killed a LOT in PvP.

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    That's RvR, it's meant to be Realm vs. Realm, not Player vs Player. Assaulting a keep takes an army, and since there are no airplanes or explosives in ESO you can't be a kamikaze or a suicide bomber. That being the case: attempting to zerg with no strategy and no backup may work in WoW's PvP, but it doesn't work in ESO's RvR. Just like it didn't work in DAoC. I think you'll find that the truly hardcore pvp vets that didn't care enough to bother with the lame pvp in WoW are going to shine here in ESO, bringing allt heir DAoC experience in to play.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Tehhi

I had to run from my keep to the enemy keep, on foot, for about 5 minutes.

1. Buy a hourse.

2. Find some group.

3. Try again.

Truth, if anyone wants to do pvp

Buy a horse!

Stop going into PvP solo!!

find a good group and get on a voice chat some you can pvp more effectively!

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

Cyrodill is great, but it player vs gear which is not a good system. Warhammer and GW2 did it correctly. Warhammer had the tier system which ESO should have. 10-49 one tier. Vet players a 2nd tier. This will allow a new level 10 who buys the game 4 months from now and with zero desire to PvE to stick around and pump sub dollars into the machine without having gear one shot him everytime he ventures out into Cyrodill. Vet Cyrodill for everybody who is a vet. We want new players correct? We want a ton of new players to build out our campaigns. It wil split the RvR population, but I think for the better.

GW2 WvW allowed a fresh level 1 to level to 80 in WvW. Granted WvW isn't the greatest of RvR, but it offers a new player much more accesibility then ESO does for a level 10.

If you are new and looking to buy ESO just for the PvP I would suggest you seriously consider if you wan to PvE to max level 1st. Currently Cyrodill is not vet dominated and a blast, but each hour is one step closer to a vet dominated RvR zone.  Also you will not be able to level in Cyrodill at any decent pace. It would take months and months and months to just level in Cyrodill. There are quests to do, but these are or can be camped by a Vet ranked player and you will be one shot which would probably add to the frustration.

I find Cyrodill the best RvR I've every played. 1st MMO goes back to SWG. I just wish it was more forgiving for a new player and encouraged new blood to join and pay the sub. Maybe bolster stats to VR2 or something.