Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sorry to say..

Comments

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak

I can't tell you how many times when I first started playing that I was ready to log and I saw someone with a quest and thought "well, I"m close to leveling, let me just 'bang' this quest out" only to find myself 30 minutes later completely engaged in what is going on.

I'm not big on story in most games and this isn't really the exception.

I don't know why I killed the wolves in wow, the wookies in swtor, the orks in WAR, the little fat things in Aion, or why the centaurs are always ALWAYS attacking in GW2.

In ESO you are playing through the story.  You're not picking up a quest that gives you the problem and solution all at once. "There is bad crap, go kill 20 of it."  In ESO you are presented with the situation and then by doing the quest you are playing through the story and generally don't find out the outcome until it completes.  Even if you're like me and generally don't care about the story it is presented to you just by playing. (not sure if that makes as much sense in text as it does in my head).

"There is bad crap , go kill 20 of it"....LAWL!!!

Originally posted by nbtscan
    I don't understand people that play MMORPGs and don't read the story.

You know I subbed to SWtOR for over a year ...starting 3 months after it's initial release. And even starting on new toons in that game , I found myself space baring through the main story sometimes, and of course space barring through all the shared quest on those toons. Since playing ESO...I find that I am simply locked on to what they are saying or actually taking the time to read the lore books I happen to find! 

Rushing to level in this game just seems counter productive. 

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by orionblack

You know I subbed to SWtOR for over a year ...starting 3 months after it's initial release. And even starting on new toons in that game , I found myself space baring through the main story sometimes, and of course space barring through all the shared quest on those toons. Since playing ESO...I find that I am simply locked on to what they are saying or actually taking the time to read the lore books I happen to find! 

Swtor story didn't pull you in and ESO story didn't pull in OP and others like him . So his way of leveling is as counter productive as yours was in SWTOR.. no? or ESO is special?

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by CyborWolfTK

ESo is going the way of RIFT, and GW2 for me. Each of those games I didn't make it to my first full month of sub.

I'm lucky if I can play for 30-45 mins with out feeling like I'm about to pass out from boredom.

At level 24, I already feel like I'm burned out on questing.

Grinding mobs is a little better, but with so few skills/spells available even that is getting boring and repetitive.

Group content is a joke. You either get Leroy Jenkins Cousins, or Nerd Rage King and his Knights of the Spread Sheets.

What ever happened to the games I could play for hours on end with out ending up face planting my keyboard before an hour is up?

This has to be by far the funniest thing i have read in days on these forums. hahah

You sir won the internet.

Do you often take pleasure in others misery?

Questing as a sole component of an MMORPG, does, in fact become boring.

Other activities need to be present.  Sandbox / Sandpark games come to play here.  They generally involve social interaction, without everyone being lonely and solo player oriented.

Take SWTOR for instance.  SWG was a great sandbox'ish game, and SWTOR could have been too.  But  it's all about questing and "personal achievements", than anything else, for a solo player game.  Fans wanted outside activities like Pazaak, Sabaac (card games), or Pod, Swoop Racing.  Stuff that brought players together.  None was added and SWTOR never became a sandbox style virtual world, where players interacted (outside of lobby queues now).  TESO has many similarities to SWTOR, which is why I bring the comparison up.

He was quite funny and if after reading his post you came to conclusion that he is miserable then i guess you didn't understand his post at all.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by flaZh

I'm bored already.

I've gotten level 31 with my main, got alts at 10 and 15 and some minor. And I don't feel like opening the game and start leveling anymore. It's a hassle. I feel the leveling takes too much time, and isn't as interesting. I mean, I've had fun until now. As a guy not really interesting in story, so I don't listen to a voiced book all day, I skip that part, and play the game. As I enjoyed the combat, the builds availiable. But all in all, I'm bored. I unsubbed, and are falling back to my old MMOs. And I don't think the market is really up for more sub-based games at this time.

I mean what should I do? When I think it's a hassle to even start up the game, thinking about all the grinding of quests. I didn't really get into the crafting even. I hate the fact that an item, and the whole item can be ruined in an attempt to make it better. So I've been researching and gathering mostly. Finding the inventory(bag and bankspace) also annyoing in the game. I want to save up for that faster horse, not spending it all on bag and bankspace.

The itemization isn't even that interesting. Damage, enchants with various damage and stuff is mostly it. Then the traits, more xp for that particular item, less costs upon dying? Boring. Set items is of course the thing, but why collect a set at level 30, when you get better invidual items a few quests/mobs later.

Anyone else feeling this? I'd liek tip on what to do in order to feel less bored with it. I'm in 2-3 playerguilds already.

Sounds to me like your ready to break out of the mold of these themepark games and are ready for a game where you make your own story and not follow some cheesy story on rails.

If your skipping past all quest nonsense its because you are probably tired of doing these same quest in every single MMO and you dont need a NPC talking to you to realize its still the same stupid quest.

Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by orionblack

Swtor story didn't pull you in and ESO story didn't pull in OP and others like him . So his way of leveling is as counter productive as yours was in SWTOR.. no? or ESO is special?

Hmm i guess i should have elaborated a little more , but no, when i left SWtOR, I have 4 lvl 55's with 3 between 25-35 and various others. 

I had the 5 day head start on ESo and my highest there is lvl  13 , so I guess ESO making me slow down , would make it special to me , no?

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by DKLond

You don't enjoy story and you're not listening to NPCs?

Ok, you're playing the wrong game and you've made the right decision.

Have I mysteriously traveled back through time and ended up in a GW2 launch thread?

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I'm bored already.

I've gotten level 31 with my main, got alts at 10 and 15 and some minor. And I don't feel like opening the game and start leveling anymore. It's a hassle. I feel the leveling takes too much time, and isn't as interesting. I mean, I've had fun until now. As a guy not really interesting in story, so I don't listen to a voiced book all day, I skip that part, and play the game. As I enjoyed the combat, the builds availiable. But all in all, I'm bored. I unsubbed, and are falling back to my old MMOs. And I don't think the market is really up for more sub-based games at this time.

I mean what should I do? When I think it's a hassle to even start up the game, thinking about all the grinding of quests. I didn't really get into the crafting even. I hate the fact that an item, and the whole item can be ruined in an attempt to make it better. So I've been researching and gathering mostly. Finding the inventory(bag and bankspace) also annyoing in the game. I want to save up for that faster horse, not spending it all on bag and bankspace.

The itemization isn't even that interesting. Damage, enchants with various damage and stuff is mostly it. Then the traits, more xp for that particular item, less costs upon dying? Boring. Set items is of course the thing, but why collect a set at level 30, when you get better invidual items a few quests/mobs later.

Anyone else feeling this? I'd liek tip on what to do in order to feel less bored with it. I'm in 2-3 playerguilds already.

Sounds like the games not for you. I'd have to ask if you've tried PvP but really if your finding the items in the game boring (Because fire/electric/poison/extra damage/ +crit / defense/resist etc. isn't enough for you (and I can't think of a MMO that has a deeper crafting system) then chances are the PvP wont matter to you either. You state you don't like story or quests and well that's TESO strong point so best of luck in whatever MMO you finally find a home in.

• prowesssprowesss Member Posts: 69

quests=/=roleplaying

I find canned-story-on-rails (quests), no matter how many forks there are in the path, to be a total destruction of the ability to roleplay.

I chose the Xfinity speed test because it does not reveal my ISP.

• FatalistFatalist Member UncommonPosts: 44

When I play Checkers I really feel like playing Chess, but when I play Chess why aren't the rules like Backgammon?  lol?

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I basically feel exactly the same way as the OP.

The questing is boring and the progression is slow while the combat gets stale rather quickly after you get your primary skills.

I never even bothered to activate my game after early access ended.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    For as many people there are telling you you're playing wrong, you're not alone.  You'll see a lot more posts like this over the next 2-6 weeks.
  • TehrothTehroth Member Posts: 8

The worse part is that people are praising the pvp like its some new unique experience. Its just like Gw2, except a player can become an emperor and you can capture elder scrolls. The elder scrolls buffs are pretty meaningless and the fortresses swap between factions way too much. There is no reason to stay behind and protect an asset, even if your guild claimed it because the game is all about the offense, except if there is a siege outside your gates.

The game is nothing but zerg vs zerg in most cases, unless you don't want to put effort towards the war campaign and gank some randoms doing a quest of dungeon. The pve is quite terrible and the questing is no different than anything else out there on the market. Just a bit more involved story line. Gaining Xp is a pain because you need to quest or its a petty amount if you kill players of mobs. Bugs galore, no real penalty for dying or any risk except for gear breaking.

The crafting is pretty good as is the combat, but at the same time; the combat could use some more work to make it feel more responsive. The graphics are very astounding and some of the best mmo graphics I've seen.

Some features are awesome like the werewolf/vampire and the skill tree and its any viability.

Game just is the same tedious boring thing however and I guarantee it once the new game rose-tinted glasses effect wear off, people will leave in droves. I knew it was not going to last long for me from the beta, but guild mates talked me into playing. Hope I am wrong and its gets much, much, better but you really can't change core mechanics of the game at this stage.

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I'm bored already.

Sounds to me like your ready to break out of the mold of these themepark games and are ready for a game where you make your own story and not follow some cheesy story on rails.

If your skipping past all quest nonsense its because you are probably tired of doing these same quest in every single MMO and you dont need a NPC talking to you to realize its still the same stupid quest.

Actually TESO are not "the same stupid quest." Seriously have you even tried the game? I haven't run into a single fedex or kill 10 rats collect 20 bunny ears quest that are the main stay of pretty much every MMO before TESO. Also No offense to the OP but if he can't be bothered to read or listen to a quest its doubtful he'd be willing to put the effort into making his own story.   No games for everyone and that's cool its obvious you have decided the games not for you and its probably not for the OP either best of luck to the both of you in finding your dream game. Have Fun!

Originally posted by winter

I'm bored already.

Actually TESO are not "the same stupid quest." Seriously have you even tried the game? I haven't run into a single fedex or kill 10 rats collect 20 bunny ears quest that are the main stay of pretty much every MMO before TESO. Also No offense to the OP but if he can't be bothered to read or listen to a quest its doubtful he'd be willing to put the effort into making his own story.   No games for everyone and that's cool its obvious you have decided the games not for you and its probably not for the OP either best of luck to the both of you in finding your dream game. Have Fun!

I am sorry but there are plenty of fedex quests in game which makes you run all over the map.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

I'm bored already.

^This...

Get so tired of these posts. These threads. Same people asking for another MMO to waste their lives on only to back stab any good AAA MMO that tries to help.

ESO is no more boring... in fact it is FAR LESS boring....than ANY MMO out now. All MMOs are what the OP and others have said. Do this and that for a bit and you get bored.

I say....go outside. Stop playing MMOs. They will not change enough for you to be happy. Neither will women, TV shows, or life...I suppose

Originally posted by Nihilist

I basically feel exactly the same way as the OP.

The questing is boring and the progression is slow while the combat gets stale rather quickly after you get your primary skills.

I never even bothered to activate my game after early access ended.

Humm level caps 50 and the OP says he's made level 31 in the first what 7-14 days yet according to both of you the leveling is too slow?!?! I guess you wanted to be level 50 already in the first 2 weeks. I hear in WoW you can buy a almost max level character perhaps that would be more your speed?? Yes ESO is a slower paced game its not really about saying Yeah I beat the game in 2 weeks now I can raid till my eyes bleed for that blue drop. There's already a game out for people that want that experience. Please don't try and make every game like WoW just because that's your favorite play style. Surely there's enough easy to level be 50 in 2 weeks games out already or you can buy it that you don't need another?

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Interesting how the ESO disagreement is much different than the GW2 disagreement when it launched.  GW2 was lots of hard defense, my favorite being your playing it wrong.  

But this thread is more forgiving. Thanking players for stopping by but don't let the door hit you on the way out.  

I'm in the latter camp.  The game is different and the type of change I'm currently enjoying. Options are good.

• TehrothTehroth Member Posts: 8

I'm bored already.

Man are you really kidding me? I've come across plenty. For instance one where you collect crocodile teeth, or one that has kill 50 Ogres. Or collect XYZ items and bring them back to me so I talk to you, so you can go and bring it back to some other npc character which you can't complete the quest because your inventory is CONSTANTLY full, so you have to delete some item.

Everyone is quarantined off, except for Cyrodil and you can't squabble with other factions if you manage to wipe their zerg with yours. People are just believing the hype too much. The only reason you level is so, you can go do pvp in Cydrodil, but its generally whomever can field the most players.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by flaZ

I feel the leveling takes too much time.

This is one of the things I am greatful of. One of my favorite things to do in a new MMO is to level and see all the zones. I hate when I get to max level in the first weeks of the games launch cause there goes half the fun right there.In most MMO's when you hit max level and still have zones you didn't complete they are irrelevant because instanced dungeons will be way more viable. It just sounds to me this isn't a game for you and probably didn't quite like elder scrolls much cause really this game feels like a watered down version to accommadate multiplayer.

• krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 21

First, arguing over whether people like the game or not is just silly. Different people like different things. I like what I like, you like what you like. Period, it is what it is.

That said, this is my opinion which no doubt some people won't share. I'm one of those people who enjoy leveling a character. I find doing quest to be fun even if they are fedex or kill 10 bears. Based on that ESO should be a dream come true for me.

Unfortunately, that really isn't the case. The problem is that I find the combat to be tedious and boring. In other MMOs I would go out of my way to kill mobs. In ESO I go out of my way to avoid combat. In most MMOs my first choice is the caster glass cannon type (but I usually end up with one of everything). So I started with a sorcerer. Maybe the other classes are different (if support ever gets their act together so I can log in again I will probably try them) but as a sorcerer I get to cast about 3 spells before I run out of magicka. So combat is basically push the same button 3 times and then auto attack. Then stand around waiting for magicka to regen so I can fight the next group. 

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Tehroth

I'm bored already.

Man are you really kidding me? I've come across plenty. For instance one where you collect crocodile teeth, or one that has kill 50 Ogres. Or collect XYZ items and bring them back to me so I talk to you, so you can go and bring it back to some other npc character which you can't complete the quest because your inventory is CONSTANTLY full, so you have to delete some item.

Everyone is quarantined off, except for Cyrodil and you can't squabble with other factions if you manage to wipe their zerg with yours. People are just believing the hype too much. The only reason you level is so, you can go do pvp in Cydrodil, but its generally whomever can field the most players.

I'm going to assume what you say...since I have yet to see any of those quests. The MAJORITY of quests I have done are way different than the MMO norm....but....

You are stretching the definition so much that you may as well skip RPGs AND MMOs. What the hell do you expect them to put in as quests? Just blows my mind when i see complaints like these....without offering an alternative.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    Originally posted by Tehroth

I'm bored already.

I'm going to assume what you say...since I have yet to see any of those quests. The MAJORITY of quests I have done are way different than the MMO norm....but....

You are stretching the definition so much that you may as well skip RPGs AND MMOs. What the hell do you expect them to put in as quests? Just blows my mind when i see complaints like these....without offering an alternative.

Admittedly, I'm not very high level, but in the 21 levels I've played, I've not had a single "Kill X of Y" quest that I remember.  Not one.  Not sure if the guy you quoted experienced those quests at higher level, but as of right now, the quests in this game are some of the most refreshing that I've seen in an MMO.  And because they are all multi-faceted and contain several steps, the leveling is pretty slow since you don't see a large portion of the XP until the chain is completed.

Some people might think that's a bad thing.  Particularly the PvPers whose only goal is to get to level 50 as quickly as possible so they can have a few weeks of being the top dog in Cyrodil.  For me personally, I think it's a great thing.

Also, for the guy you quoted, I'd be interested to hear more examples of those generic quests than the two he listed.  Because I'm still waiting for my first generic quest, and I'm more than a third into the game.  Maybe it's a specific issue with a specific faction.  I don't know.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Originally posted by flaZ

I feel the leveling takes too much time.

This is one of the things I am greatful of. One of my favorite things to do in a new MMO is to level and see all the zones. I hate when I get to max level in the first weeks of the games launch cause there goes half the fun right there.In most MMO's when you hit max level and still have zones you didn't complete they are irrelevant because instanced dungeons will be way more viable. It just sounds to me this isn't a game for you and probably didn't quite like elder scrolls much cause really this game feels like a watered down version to accommadate multiplayer.

OP is lvl 31 in 2 weeks (also has two alts he was leveling)... if this is slow leveling then i wonder what is fast leveling.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I'm bored already.

If you are skipping the story because you don't like it, or just aren't interested in stories in video games in general, then it's great that you unsubbed. If that is the case, then I just gotta ask. Whats wrong with you dude? It's an ELDER SCROLLS game, do you just not know what kind of franchise the Elder Scrolls IP  is???

This game does questing well. Very well. If you don't like that aspect of mmo's, perhaps mmo's in general aren't your thing. There are a lot of multi-player action games with optional or no story telling and no long progressions that may suit your interests better. Perhaps LoL, DOTA, Tribes, Star Craft 2, or Counter Strike are more your cup of tea? Just basing this off of what you've written. You seem like more of an instant gratification player.